The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Next Windies coach

Baje 2014-09-16 18:16:41 

It seems that some folks were touting Mickey Arthur, but from what Pybus has indicated, he would prefer to have Windies greats to pass on knowledge to the next generation. So I am expecting a Windies coach.

In the interest of Harmony, since we have two Trini captains, having a Trini coach might have the group singing from the same hymn book.

Another harmonic group seems to be forming: Ambrose Bowling coach, Williams batting coach, Richardson captain, Baptiste Coach.

Lets see what happens

Walco 2014-09-16 18:21:02 

In reply to Baje

I predict that Arthur will be the new coach. Don't be distracted by that other stuff. Arthur and Pybus are friends--that's how his name surfaced in the first place.

imusic 2014-09-16 18:34:34 

In reply to Baje
The West Indies team more needs someone that knows how to motivate individuals for the betterment of the team, rather than a skills coach IMO

We already have skills coaches in the setup. Whoever that person is also needs to be a cricket person, and must be responsible & accountable for results and performance. Therefore, that person also gets to pick his team (squad), scouts, other coaches, captain, etc.

yardman83 2014-09-16 18:41:26 

I have heard on some other threads persons asking whether we have regional coaches with the requisite coaching qualification to coach at the highest level. Does Baptiste presently have these said qualifications? (genuine question). I also believe that when Chanderpaul eventually goes he should be included in the coaching staff as a batting consultant. He migh tnot have the flair associated with the 'Greats' of West Indies cricket but that ability to value ones wicket will be important.

Walco 2014-09-16 18:46:43 

In reply to yardman83

I think Gibson is the only WI-born coach with a level 4 coaching certificate. There are some with level 3 certificates. If we hire someone without a level 4 certificate, I think we would be the only top 8 team without a level 4 coach. Pybus is a level 4 coach.

Commie 2014-09-16 18:58:41 

In reply to Walco

Baptiste wants it.

Walco 2014-09-16 19:00:18 

In reply to Commie

So does Ambrose

jaip 2014-09-16 19:22:32 

ROGER HARPER

natty_forever 2014-09-16 19:23:18 

In reply to Walco... you sure?

Walco 2014-09-16 19:25:26 

In reply to natty_forever

No, but Arthur has two things going for him. He and Pybus are friends and he is a Level 4 coach. My prediction.

natty_forever 2014-09-16 19:32:47 

In reply to Walco... not that, about Ambi wanting it.

jen 2014-09-16 19:32:54 

In reply to yardman83

Baptiste is the only coach in the Caribbean with a level 4 certificate.

jaip 2014-09-16 19:34:22 

In reply to jen

Not true ROGER & MONTY LYNCH

jen 2014-09-16 19:35:24 

West indies will ditch the post of manager when Richie's term is over. They'll only be using a coach going forward.

Walco 2014-09-16 19:37:24 

Yes

natty_forever 2014-09-16 19:38:46 

In reply to Walco... saw a quote where he said he didn't, would rather be a 'father figure'.

Walco 2014-09-16 19:45:27 

That quote was dated I think--from years ago?

natty_forever 2014-09-16 19:46:36 

In reply to Walco.. I feel so, yes. So you saying he has changed his mind.

Walco 2014-09-16 19:54:49 

In reply to Commie

Baptiste wants it.

Just confirmed that he is a Level 4 coach. He would be a good choice, but I would seriously question his judgment if he wants that job.

camos 2014-09-16 20:04:36 

In reply to Walco

why would you question him ,what is he giving up to take WI job?

Walco 2014-09-16 20:08:14 

In reply to camos

The new WI coach will suffer the same fate as those that preceded him. Sustained success is not an option. More moderate success and devastating failures on the horizon.

imusic 2014-09-17 15:40:48 

In reply to Walco

The new WI coach will suffer the same fate as those that preceded him. Sustained success is not an option. More moderate success and devastating failures on the horizon.

What is needed for sustained success in your opinion?

Larr Pullo 2014-09-17 15:51:20 

In reply to Baje

he would prefer to have Windies greats to pass on knowledge to the next generation. So I am expecting a Windies coach.

In the interest of Harmony, since we have two Trini captains, having a Trini coach might have the group singing from the same hymn book.

So Lara will be the next coach? Cause dats the only great player that the Titties produced....

Larr Pullo 2014-09-17 15:52:29 

In reply to Walco

Did you see how he was stuck to Lloyd like Velcroe during the Bang series? smile smile

If he takes it, good luck to him..... smile smile

WI_cricfan 2014-09-17 16:11:37 

must the coach be a holder of a level 4 certification?

Look at this before you answer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcoDV0dhWPA

Commie 2014-09-17 18:52:23 

In reply to Walco

Baptiste will face the same challenges Gibson faced.

A white fella will do the trick.

jacksprat 2014-09-17 18:57:16 

In reply to Commie

Baptiste will face the same challenges Gibson faced.

What is that, fear of mirrors? big grin big grin

Walco 2014-09-17 19:07:42 

In reply to imusic

WICB's production of a finished product (players) prior to elevation to the senior level would be a good place to start. The senior team should not be a finishing school for players. And we need more disciplined professionals on the senior team.

The WICB is more responsible for the lack of disciplined and professional players than the individual players though.

Walco 2014-09-17 19:18:55 

In reply to Commie

A white fella will do the trick.

He will be more accepted by a certain demographic (the beauty pageant crew and the bleachers), but I doubt he will achieve better results.

Walco 2014-09-18 08:35:16 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Did you see how he was stuck to Lloyd like Velcroe during the Bang series?

If he takes it, good luck to him.....

No. I was traveling and did not see most of the match. But Baptiste will need a lot more than luck to succeed as WI coach. I don't even think a good obeah man would be able to help him lol

Commie 2014-09-18 09:12:21 

In reply to Walco

Give a new coach a new team, and he might succeed.

Give him this motley crew pulling in all directions and only a real outsider divorced from every single thing about their personalities can succeed.

In organisations with culture crisis, they actively look to outside the organisational realm to find leaders.

I see it no different in this case.

One coach I always felt would be great for WI is Dav Whatmore.

In fact Whatmore is available.

Walco 2014-09-18 09:53:07 

In reply to Commie

Not when politicians and insular WICB directors deh 'bout. Too much outside interference in the West Indies setup. Coaches do not have enough power or institutional support.

You may be right though. It will take a white man to bring about real change in WI cricket though. Even the most anti-white among us love white people. They just don't know it smile

Whatmore is a good coach. Would love to know which of the applicants for the WI coaching job placed a call to Ottis.

Commie 2014-09-18 09:54:50 

In reply to Walco

Whatmore isnt just a good coach, he is a coach used to dealing with chaos.

Bangladesh one good period was under his watch, SL of course had a great spell under him, and he dealt with the zoo of Pakistan.

Walco 2014-09-18 10:06:57 

In reply to Commie

Interestingly Pybus also dealt with Pakistan. Wonder how he would compare their zoo to ours? smile

Is Whatmore a disciplinarian?

sudden 2014-09-18 10:07:04 

In reply to Walco

Would love to know which of the applicants for the WI coaching job placed a call to Ottis

What are you trying to say here mate?

Commie 2014-09-18 10:10:09 

In reply to Walco

Whatmore

I must say...I like him.

Walco 2014-09-18 10:11:34 

In reply to sudden

Just referring to standard due diligence. Good to get the perspective of the last man in the job. You don't have to take it as gospel though.

sudden 2014-09-18 10:14:30 

In reply to Walco

Ok got you. That is like if I want to be a fence sitter, I should call Powen to get a feel for the job, ent?

Walco 2014-09-18 10:26:32 

In reply to Commie

Thanks, I like what he says here.

I have answered this question to a few people, including the last selectors’ committee. You know, I close my eyes and I can visualise the team I want. The team I want is highly skilled team, highly fit with a big base of athleticism and players that are totally dedicated to the cause. Sometimes, you are unable to achieve this because the players who are highly talented in one area lack in another. The prime example of this is skill. Somebody who goes out there and gives you a lot of runs could be a handicap in the field. So as a selector and as someone who can shape the future, you are faced with a dilemma. Do you pick these guys, or do you go hunting for people who can fit the bill better? There are certain players who fit the package in my eyes, as I close them I see those guys, but there are other players who don’t. I think we need to, as a group, agree on this vision. If it’s not something they like, then we can go in search of a different vision. We need to have players in every category. We need quality top-order batsmen, middle-order players, spinners who can do different roles, quicks too, allrounders, and keepers who can bat. Now, to get all those in a team, we need to look. The teams that have all of them are ranked No. 1 and 2. We’re not. We need to get such players identified and developed. So you should focus on your A team, your Under-19 comes into it too, in order for that next group of players to get stronger technically and fitter physically, and who can cope in all conditions.

This statement highlights how far we have to go in Test cricket. We are a good 6-8 players from the kind of team that Whatmore visualizes.

Walco 2014-09-18 10:31:35 

In reply to sudden

Please to leave me out of you and Powen business nuh man smile

Commie 2014-09-18 10:38:06 

In reply to Walco

Have a read of this...some very interesting similarities with WI cricket smile

Whatmore interview

Cornfused 2014-09-18 10:40:35 

Lara is not the only great player from Trinidad to represent the West Indies . Gus Logie , Larry Gomes , Learie Constantine , Gerry Gomez , Sonny Ramadin ,Derick Murray , Charlie Davis are all great players . Lara was the exception player to come from Trinidad who was also among the best in the world ever .

What we need from a coach . Yes they are all #1's

1. Some one who can calculate DuckWorth Lewis correctly
1. Some one who can have the team play at their best .
1. Some one who can convince the WICB to have a spin coach a pace coach and a batting coach .

To be continued ....

Tryangle 2014-09-18 10:59:57 

Would the fellas be interested in trying to pull Phil Simmons in? Although, I'm sure Simmons wouldn't be available until after the WC in any event, he seems fully dedicated to getting Ireland to the next level.

jacksprat 2014-09-18 11:34:56 

In reply to Commie

How will you determine "success"?

How will the new coach improve the quality of the pool of reserve players-who presumably will form the core of this "new team"-and who, year after year, perform so dismally in our FC competition?

Is it a coach they intend to hire or a magician?

Will they finally be able to mount their much touted 'star team', sans the better, more established players across the region, with an inspirational coach and captain?

I for one will wait and see!

Walco 2014-09-18 11:57:40 

In reply to Commie

PP: Some critics say that you were too lenient when it came to the discipline of senior players. How would you respond to that criticism?

DW: I am unaware of any indiscipline with regard to senior players during my tenure. My style of management is to treat them as the grown men that they are. Having said that, there were occasions which warranted my wrath in the privacy of our dressing room after certain losses.

I am well aware that many feel that I should have adopted the head master approach, but my philosophy has been a proven success over many years in the sub-continent.

Hmmmm ... Wonder how that approach would translate to the West Indies team?

PP: What was the most frustrating aspect of being Head Coach of the Pakistan cricket team?

DW: I have noticed that there appears to be very little nationalism towards the national team. I always felt Karachi, Lahore and other cities were more interested in promoting players from their respective city to the detriment of a unified Pakistan Cricket Team.

Hahaha ... Whatmore is probably the foreign coach most prepared to coach in the West Indies setup.

Walco 2014-09-18 12:01:37 

PP: Why is it that Pakistan is failing to produce world class batsmen and what can be done about this?

DW: I believe there is no lack of world class batsmen in Pakistan, but I always felt that players could rarely relax in terms of feeling secure in relation to selection. Therefore it is very difficult to consistently perform with this in the back of your mind.

Also, more encouragement and support from the right people would go a long way in solving this.

Kuk Edwards?

Walco 2014-09-18 12:02:51 

PP: What is the typical psyche of the Pakistani cricketer? Where can improvements be made?

DW: Their psyche is “look after yourself because Nobody Else Will”! The Pakistani players need more support and less criticism.

Shiv?