The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The Value Of Chanderpaul

spider 2014-09-18 08:22:01 

But let us now return to the second day of the St. Lucia Test with West Indies sitting comfortably at 251/3 after 97 overs. Bravo fell in the 98th over, making it 251/4, and Blackwood, Ramdin and Roach followed in quick succession. Suddenly West Indies were in trouble at 269/7, and though I was castigating Chanderpaul just minutes earlier I found that those feelings immediately flew out the window. I, along with many others I'm sure, was now appreciating the fact that he was still there.

I was happy that Chanderpaul was there, as he had been on multiple occasions, unmovable as turbulence ensued all around him. There may indeed be some merit to the criticisms thrown in his direction sometimes but no one can reasonably question his value to every side he has represented. Those of us too intent on depreciating his value, and too quick to point him to the exit, would do well to recall the many occasions when it was only he that stood between the West Indies and total humiliation. Some will only realize his value after he is gone.

The Value Of Shivnarine Chanderpaul