The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Didnt i say that, at HS cricket....

BeatDball 2014-09-29 21:14:22 

is where 'pelting' must be nipped in the bud? When we clearly see that a bowling action is fuzzy, it should be scrutinized N be remedied.

WestDem 2014-09-29 21:23:28 

In reply to BeatDball

Are you someone I can reason with on this issue? De others have their own agenda... cool

Bain 2014-09-29 21:31:34 

In reply to BeatDball

Agree. I'm glad they are clamping down finally. That may discourage the youngsters from practising this action. There is a very talented young cricketer in Jamaica here whose development I have observed from close quarters. He has the 'Shillingford' action but it doesn't seem anyone has ever done anything about it. I have talked to him about it on numerous occasions but there is no need to listen to me when he gets to play that way and has made his way on to the national youth team bowling like this.

On another note - I remember when Jermaine Lawson made his name as a youth bowler and came back and played a high school match. He was chucking badly after he got hit for a few fours. After the match I asked the umpire why he didn't call him. He said he knew he was flinging but if he called him "he would never get to umpire another match again". It's our fault.

BeatDball 2014-09-29 21:35:24 

"he would never get to umpire another match again". At HS...sure u arent exaggerating? It's hard to believe.

Bain 2014-09-29 21:39:09 

In reply to BeatDball

Lawson had already played for Jamaica U19 at the regional tournament (remember Cozier making an issue of it) and was being touted for big things (he may even have played for West Indies youths already by that time). If you familiar, the reaction in Jamaica was to totally cuss out Cozier for saying that Lawson's action was wrong. When he came back we protected him. The umpire was basically saying he knew he would be blacklisted if he called Lawson for throwing. And he was correct.

tc1 2014-09-29 21:40:23 

In reply to Bain

I remember reading an article by TC on Jermaine's action, but no-one wanted to take action.
This was at the U19

Bain 2014-09-29 21:47:09 

In reply to tc1

Yup. Instead of realising that Lawson had an issue and try to help the yute, we got defensive and we cuss Cozier bad. Say that him badmind, etc. etc. To this day I blame the Jamaican authorities for what happened with him. All because we didn't want to admit that he was flinging.

Seeing it again and again. It sickens me. Rather than 'straighten' out the youngsters, coaches encourage it because it helps them win - at high school, club and country. Maybe we think we are helping them by defending them - but we are doing them a disservice. Go to New York bush league club cricket and find Lawson and ask him.

Runs 2014-09-29 21:50:13 

In reply to Bain

Go to New York bush league club cricket and find Lawson and ask him. lol

BeatDball 2014-09-29 21:51:37 

Shoitz! I wuz bigging up dem jewmaycan umpires for being fair n square....especially for calling out shillingford when he wuz an u19 player. Wait, wait...in some local matches in jewmayca, didnt they call out lawson N this was after he had come back from 1 remedial session?

Bain 2014-09-29 22:04:30 

In reply to BeatDball

I believe it may have been Bucknor. He also called Shillingford in a regional match long ago - long before he ran into ICC troubles. We knew he was flinging looooooong time but only Bucknor called him. Bucknor is the only umpire I know to have been willing to call bowlers. But he was already a big international umpire and could afford to do that.

Very interesting article from the CC archive here.

mikesiva 2014-09-30 05:14:10 

In reply to BeatDball

High school is also where our guys should be talk how to handle interviews with the media. Watching Raymon Reifer being interviewed was really painful....

In contrast, Desmond Haynes looked so much more comfortable in front of the mike. His command of the English language was so much better than Reifer's.

BeatDball 2014-09-30 12:14:12 

In reply to mikesiva I sung that tune long time ago! Happy n glad u have made those observations.

BeatDball 2014-09-30 12:44:30 

In reply to Bain Very interesting read...but, will have to complete it this evening. Likkle more.

Bain 2014-09-30 14:21:42 

In reply to BeatDball

Cool.