The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The Beginning of the End for WICB & West Indies

Controversy 2014-10-18 15:43:59 

This is the beginning of the end of West Indies cricket. We knew it would come some time, now that time has finally come and this was the final straw that will set a chain of events in motion in the dismantling of our cricket.

It will be a new dawn for individual territories to stand on their own, without cash injections from other islands with the money. It serves WICB right, because their greed has further advanced this implosion by the players. With Hinds being controlled by the WICB they have their stooge to do their bidding.

The departure of Dinas was a signal of the end times for WIPA truly representing the players and their best interests. With Hinds at the head, WIPA is a sub entity of WICB and Hinds is under their control. Dinas was never under their control, which meant they couldn't take advantage of the players and do as they please.

The BCCI also deserves the loss in money because of their unscrupulous tactics in the banning of Narine, but WICB is equally to blame for not standing up and excluding him from the series. Everything comes full circle. WICB and the word bribery go hand in hand, they are wheeling and dealing under the table and it has finally caught up to them.

Good riddance, I hope this whole corrupt structure falls, the faster the better.

spider 2014-10-18 15:47:16 

In reply to Controversy

So who is going to administer cricket in the region?

Controversy 2014-10-18 15:48:28 

In reply to spider

the local boards will take the reins over their own national team.. everyone for themselves, the way it should have been from a long time ago... that way the unfairness in selection and corruption will be lessened

wicb is on the verge of collapsing... there will be no more regional cricket administration

spider 2014-10-18 15:49:42 

In reply to Controversy

Ok. I'm sorry. Didn't see you were predicting end of West Indies cricket too.

Controversy 2014-10-18 16:03:06 

In reply to spider

5 year ban from India, which generates the most revenues for WI cricket, the regional boards will pull out or ask the board to resign and wipa... govt intervention may happen b4 the end but it won't be stopped bc it will be too far gone...

the other big nations realize west indies is reemerging as a force in all formats, less than 2% of world cricket revenues is generated from west indies cricket, and i am being generous...

the bigger nations in the west indies may make a case to be included in the test playing nations but may not be granted... outside of ja, tt, guyana and b'dos, the rest will fall on the wayside sadly...

that is the faith of our cricket, this is about money at the end of the day and india has the money and population and tv viewers... west indies doesn't... we are but a drop in the bucket...

we may have the regional 20/20 and that will be the main avenue for players to be found and make their money while playing aboard...

Controversy 2014-10-18 16:08:04 

In reply to spider

also keep in mind wicb has orchestrated many events to lead to this, they are not working in our best interests and haven't been since the dawn of world tv revenues and sponsorship in cricket.. wink

dale_staple 2014-10-18 16:17:49 

In reply to Controversy

U do realise that nothing will change if it goes to the regional boards? Look at what is happening in Guyana now. DWL. The corruption will continue, the selection bias will continue, everything u mentioned above will continue. However, it will just be localised. Is that the solution u want?

I want West Indies Cricket to continue. As individuals, we will flounder and be cast to the winds. But together, we will continue to be strong.

mikesiva 2014-10-19 03:50:08 

In reply to dale_staple

Well, the individual countries are doing reasonably well with their track athletes, so if they model their national cricket boards along those lines, there could be improvements.

The big problem with the WICB is that it was answerable to nobody in the region, so they acted like a law unto themselves. If the national cricket boards then become answerable to the elected leaders of these countries, it might provide better checks and balances.

Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad and Guyana have the talent to start at the ICC Level 3, and in two years all four sides could work their way through to the top level, the way Afghanistan did. Recently, these teams beat Ireland, which is considered to be the next cab on the rank for Test status, so in three or four years' time, they could be on the verge of Test status....

If the BCCI chooses to bankrupt the WICB, that's the best option IMHO.

archangel 2014-10-19 04:02:30 

In reply to Controversy

I suspect that your posts here is all about putting pressure on cricket fans and cricketers in the region to rebel against the current WICB and WIPA administration so that the change you wish for will come. For that reason, I will not take pleasure in your posts with all its sentiments which I would hope for.

I can only hope that all that you have said will finally happen though.

If not, it will just be another case of room for rent apply within, when I run out, you run in. Same ole, same ole. You talk like under Dinas, things were flawless in West Indies cricket.

Well, on second thought, maybe I should wish for it to continue. One can't deny the soap opera contribution that West Indies cricket provide.

Carry on.

In reply to Mikesiva

It won't happen. See all and sundry scramble to save West Indies cricket. There are benefits to accrue. It will not die.

hawk 2014-10-19 07:25:34 

In reply to Controversy

careful what you wish for dismantling West Indies is an idiotic move and will destroy the region, cricket is more than a game, the region need the receipts from visiting teams for tour and no major team will be visiting this part of the world to play weak individual territories, to have all they matches played on single ground

mikesiva 2014-10-19 09:28:06 

In reply to hawk

It won't be as devastating as you think....

This is how Afghanistan did it. They entered at the Division Five level in 2008, and in January 2009 they won Division Three, and as a result was promoted straight to Division One, skipping Division Two.

That was pretty quick!

Jamaica, Guyana, Trinidad and Barbados all have at least two grounds that can be used. Zimbabwe only has two grounds, and they have Test status.

If India refuse to play West Indies, then what difference does it make? We might as well just go it alone....

IMHO, the ball is in the BCCI's court.

hawk 2014-10-19 09:52:19 

In reply to mikesiva

there is little money to be made winning those divisions if any at all, Afghanistan, for their success in those lowly leagues are still not a side taken very serious outside of the associate level, I doubt any test status will be conferred upon any time soon and I don't see any body lining up to tour them, as for Zimbabwe and their "test status"....... how often do they really play and whom, right now they are hard pressed to beat the strong associates, i would want us counted among these, our history dictates we compete against the best and our future should be mapped to maintain such, therefore on this premise I count it as detrimental even the slightest thought of going it alone

Arrogance------the board
incompetence------ wipa
selfishness------the players

have gone hand it hand to damage our great institution

I would have lobbied for the tour to continue with the understanding that the M.O.U be revised and ratified prior to the next tour ensuring that all parties be present at a public signing removing any doubt as to any ignorance of the contents

Controversy 2014-10-19 14:57:48 

In reply to dale_staple

The TTCB is run well and is well funded... TT can stand alone and we will have a full team to beat ireland, zimbabwe and bangladesh... in all formats..

the rest of the big 3 also have the talent to compete.. i think the rest of the nations needs to stand on their own, they will appreciate TT a little better then and what we have brought to regional cricket in terms of sponsorship and money... it is a lesson that needs to be learned, especially ungrateful bigots like voice of treason and co that continuously attack tt cricketers and our nation... good riddance to that...

the solution i want is the right people running the wicb and right now that would create jealousy with the other islands, so i dare not name the individuals...

together we are not strong, because it is too much in fighting and racism and insularity... that needs to end immediately.. the dismantling of our cricket will be a wake up call...

Controversy 2014-10-19 14:58:42 

In reply to mikesiva

i agree fully... great points...

Controversy 2014-10-19 14:59:41 

In reply to archangel

there is no resolution... west indies is not a country... track and field and football are not grouped as one, cricket doesn't need to be either

hawk 2014-10-19 17:18:10 

In reply to Controversy

TT can stand alone and we will have a full team to beat ireland, zimbabwe and bangladesh... in all formats..

My friend TT would not have the privilege of playing these teams any time soon let alone beat them consistently, as with the Big 3 controlling cricket our individual team may find themselves relegated to the pits of world cricket

the situation is dire but I don't think any dismantling of west Indies cricket is necessary, this is fixable. just need willing parties

Star 2014-10-19 20:50:12 

In reply to hawk

the situation is dire but I don't think any dismantling of west Indies cricket is necessary

What about dismantling of the WICB?

Chrissy 2014-10-19 20:55:41 

In reply to Star

Sadly the is entire region is crumbling with decay - the dead carcasses are everywhere - lost in their big houses, SUVs, weave headed and bleached - they abandoned West Indian for self enrichment ages ago.

The mimic men and women only want a great house. They have never had an original thought.

hawk 2014-10-19 21:23:03 

In reply to Star

What about dismantling of the WICB?

what is the alternative......will it be any different???

WICB is made up of us.... the people, with a dictatorial attitude of management, they are slow to act and always the last to implement change, often refusing to develop as they are largely conservative, they have many flaws and fundamental changes need to be made to reverse this position, whether it is the WICB or whatever the entity is called unless the "people" change the entity will not, no matter what you call them

hawk 2014-10-19 21:23:54 

In reply to Chrissy

Sadly the is entire region is crumbling with decay - the dead carcasses are everywhere - lost in their big houses, SUVs, weave headed and bleached - they abandoned West Indian for self enrichment ages ago.

The mimic men and women only want a great house. They have never had an original thought.

what is the solution to this????

BatQuake 2014-10-19 21:29:14 

In reply to Controversy

This is the beginning of the end of West Indies cricket.

...........(yawn)............as usual, some of y'all misguided prophets of extreme doom have showed up AGAIN with the "this is the end of West Indies cricket" mantra.

Whenever there is some debacle in West Indies cricket, the "this is the end of West Indies cricket" sensationalism chant surfaces.

Well is just like how dem say "Test cricket is dead" yet it cyah dead yet. This latest debacle in West Indies cricket is very unfortunate, but this is not the end of West Indies cricket okay............far from the end.

Controversy 2014-10-19 23:58:20 

In reply to hawk

it is unsolvable, the corruption is institutionalized, how can you fight that? only the few like bravo and the players with their supporters are brave enough to stand against the tyranny of the wicb and hinds led wipa

hawk 2014-10-20 06:44:53 

In reply to Controversy

it is unsolvable, the corruption is institutionalized, how can you fight that? only the few like bravo and the players with their supporters are brave enough to stand against the tyranny of the wicb and hinds led wipa

this comment indicates an attitude of resignation to defeat....nothing is unsolvable, the world has recovered from both world wars, this is just a misunderstanding. albeit a costly one, i am sure a cheaper solution is available ...even now

Controversy 2014-10-22 13:23:52 

In reply to hawk

not resignation to defeat... it is a sign of the end times for wicb... less than 2% being generous is what we make up... wicb doesn't matter to world cricket...

dwinston 2014-10-22 13:31:56 

In reply to Controversy

Total nonsense. These player have underperform and has disgraced all the caribbean people. They should be banned. They have no integrity. they were represented. they choose their leaders, and if their representative screwed up, it behooves them to "fight" it out with them in that arena and not to take it out on we the Caribbean people and others through out the world that have supported our cricket.
This is an aside, but some of these player are functionally illiterate and was misled by the "brighter ones.
This is a bloody disgrace. They should have finished the tour and on their return find a solution. The WICB should stand firm and BAN dem Rass.
evil twisted evil twisted

Controversy 2014-10-23 00:57:19 

In reply to dwinston

so if your pay gets a 75% cut or you lose 13k per match and have a family to feed, while the execs get fat in their WIPA and WICB office and have nothing to worry about, what would you do?

take your time with the answer...

nick2020 2014-10-23 01:24:05 

In reply to Controversy

I would ask to go back to the drawing board.

Controversy 2014-10-23 09:40:46 

In reply to nick2020

while in the middle of a tour? when cameron and hinds could have flown out to resolve the issue but chose not to

POINT 2014-10-23 11:54:16 

In reply to Controversy

YOU need to wake up from your Stupor . It
is the Regional Boards Presidents who have ALL the power ; not Cameron ; who is merely doing their bidding .

FYI it is these same Regional Board Presidents who made Cameron the President of the WICB . Obviously since they selected him ; they have more power than he has .

That being the case removing Cameron and leaving them aint helping to solve problems regarding Cricket in the Region .

openning 2014-10-23 12:00:57 

In reply to Controversy

so if your pay gets a 75% cut or you lose 13k per match and have a family to feed, while the execs get fat in their WIPA and WICB office and have nothing to worry about, what would you do?

I would request an urgent meeting with my union, because it my union fault to negotiate, a drop in my pay.