The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

How would a young Frank Worrell have....

Logic 2014-10-30 08:16:43 

..dealt with this scenario - I wonder?

Any thoughts, people?

Star 2014-10-30 09:05:15 

In reply to Logic
With logic.

Logic 2014-10-30 09:45:05 

In reply to Star Then perhaps withdrawing your services when you feel undervalued and disrespected is the logical thing to do because that's what Frankie Worrell did as a young player. At a time when there was no money in wi cricket and players were not customarily paid he insisted that he would not take the field unless the cricket administrators compensated him. He took a principled stance and subsequently became the best captain / leader we have seen in the Caribbean. Back then he was initially ostracized as a disloyal ingrate. but he is universally admired today. No one questions his loyalty to wi cricket now.

openning 2014-10-30 10:14:53 

In reply to Logic

Frank was a leader and a problem solver.
He was never a fence sitter or a follower

WestDem 2014-10-30 10:24:12 

In reply to openning

Who are fence sitters and followers in this current WI team?

POINT 2014-10-30 10:27:04 

In reply to Logic

ALL that you have stated is correct . What was also important is that he did this when
the WICBC was in the governance of Cricket in the Region . It is significant also that
most if not all of the Members of the WICBC were " White " .

I have absolutely no doubt that if Sir Frank Worrell was alive today ; he would be very critical of both the ICC & the WICB .

Unlike many people when Worrell perceived something was wrong , and others
thought otherwise , he was not afraid to swim against the tide .

The reason why Players from the Windward & Leeward Islands got the opportunity to vie
for places on the West Indies Team was
Sir Frank Worrell .

It was not the Guyanese ; Barbados ; Trinidad & Tobago ; or Jamaican Cricket Boards that were in
favour of doing that ;
they simply acquiesced regarding the matter .

openning 2014-10-30 10:44:38 

In reply to WestDem

I could not see Frank Worrell in a team, that did not finish a tour, thats the kind of man and leader he was.
Point, Sir Frank would not spend every thread on the WICB, especially this issue, which is between WIPA and its members.

WestDem 2014-10-30 10:50:14 

In reply to openning

I could not see Frank Worrell in a team, that did not finish a tour, thats the kind of man and leader he was.

Even though there was significantly less technology in Sir Frank's days....you think he and his team would have being ignored like this team? If you employees asked to meet with you fuh two weeks and yuh nat only ignore them, yuh made it PUBLIC that yuh nat talking to them!

What are the employees suppose to do then?

camos 2014-10-30 11:13:26 

In reply to openning

hE PROBABLY WOULD NOT BE IN India to begin with.

tc1 2014-10-30 11:15:38 

In reply to Logic

which Frank Worrell

big grin big grin big grin

POINT 2014-10-30 13:03:20 

In reply to WestDem

You see missing in all the discussions about eras in the past & since the mid 1980's is the fact that in past Eras OUR PLAYERS PLAYED A HELL OF A LOT MORE MATCHES THAN OUR
CURRENT PLAYERS .

In Worrell's time there was only one format of the game , and matches were played before
& in between Test Matches . This is very important , because all these matches made our Players skills in all facets of the game very sharp . So in the Test Matches they were better or as good as their opponents .

It was the introduction of the third format of the game , and truncated Tours
where the Host Country is hosting 2 or 3
International Teams ; that has seriously hampered our Players competitiveness , including the asinine 1 week Camp .

Let me again reiterate , it is only by playing a lot of matches can our Players
build up their Stamina - Mental & Physical; ability to concentrate for long
periods ; and learning how to pace an Innings .

These may seem trifling , but they are the key components that determine competitiveness , or non competitiveness ;
Victory or Defeat . Unfortunately those
in the governance of Cricket in the Region are still ignorant of this fact .

razz

openning 2014-10-30 15:14:38 

In reply to WestDem

Even though there was significantly less technology in Sir Frank's days....you think he and his team would have being ignored like this team? If you employees asked to meet with you fuh two weeks and yuh nat only ignore them, yuh made it PUBLIC that yuh nat talking to them!

Frank would not have let Wavell sign a MOU without seeing it, he was a leader.
What happened to the team in India, happens to many entertainers, with their lawyers or accountants
This should be a lesson learn for all young cricketers, see and read the contract and MOU.

openning 2014-10-30 15:17:38 

In reply to camos

hE PROBABLY WOULD NOT BE IN India to begin with.

razz razz

WestDem 2014-10-30 15:35:56 

In reply to openning

Frank would not have let Wavell sign a MOU without seeing it, he was a leader.
lol lol lol

can't argue yuh anymore....

Logic 2014-10-30 21:37:56 

In reply to openning

Of course none of us really know what Frank would have done but i think it is instructive that the cricketer who was the first to take industrial action became the best leader wi cricket has seen.