The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

I FEEL LIKE CRYING.

cricketmygame 2014-11-27 00:01:59 

IN SHOCK

CAN'T BELIEVE THE MAN IS DEAD cry cry cry cry

cricketmygame 2014-11-27 00:04:58 

I have never met Hughes neither was I a big fan but to see a man die from playing the game we all love is just tragic

Narper 2014-11-27 00:06:24 

In reply to cricketmygame

I feel numb....this is terrible

cricketmygame 2014-11-27 00:08:15 

In reply to Narper

same here

anandgb 2014-11-27 00:10:33 

Terrible man.

cricketmygame 2014-11-27 00:12:17 

In reply to anandgb

this is so unfortunate and such a freak accident

could happen to almost anyone at any level of cricket really

Cowcorner 2014-11-27 00:12:41 

RIP

Devin 2014-11-27 00:16:10 

Dark dark day for cricket.

Narper 2014-11-27 00:16:13 

His mom and sister were at the match when it happened.

CNN has reported that there was a 23 min delay before real help was administered

Samwells 2014-11-27 00:31:16 

my eyes literally teary

smh

BatQuake 2014-11-27 00:32:11 

Really unfortunate. Hold strong.

Cameron 2014-11-27 00:33:35 

Very, very SAD! Condolences to his family.

cricketmygame 2014-11-27 00:58:21 

i see the NZ and Pakistan game called off for 1 hr so far to give the players some time to take the news in

CW 2014-11-27 01:16:24 

It does bring tears to my eyes...RIP Phil Hughes sad

ProWI 2014-11-27 01:32:59 

In reply to Narper

CNN has reported that there was a 23 min delay before real help was administered

Having just listened to the reports from the doctors, nothing could have saved him.

It was really a freak accident. He was actually hit in the neck - not head - the forced of the ball spilt the leading artery to the head.

Sad, so sad. Too sad.

RIP Philip.

dax 2014-11-27 02:09:42 

play called off for the day now

InHindsight 2014-11-27 03:35:20 

I shed a tear. sad

Runs 2014-11-27 05:22:02 

Ray Winter former Jamaican fast bowler hit an opening batsman in my league a few years back he had to do oral reconstructive surgery . Was never the same batsman, represented Berbice in under 19.

OZGOD 2014-11-27 05:59:44 

It's hard to take because he felt like he was a part of us, of the fabric of this thing we love called cricket. He was what we in Australia call a battler - nothing came that easy to him. He was talented but always had to work to chase his dreams. In and out of the Test side. We marvelled at his debut series in SA where he scored twin centuries in a Test against the best bowling attack in the world. Then we watched as his imperfections were exposed by England during the Ashes and he was dropped. Then he was always on the periphery of the side, always knocking on the door. And he never complained, just sucked it up and kept trying to do better.

For me it was those imperfections that made him more like one of us. for a lot of people here he was of the same generation, or a generation removed. He could have been our teammate, our brother, our son. He was part of the tapestry of the game, that we talk about on a daily basis here. We talk about players so much that it seems like we get to know them, through their deeds. And when he died doing what he loved, what we all loved, through the most unfortunate conjoining of probabilities, it's hard to take. Why was he taken so young, with his whole life ahead of him?

The global cricket family lost one today. So we mourn...but we have to move on. Because cricket has to move on. That's what Phil would have wanted. He'd be looking down on us today saying "geez I didn't realise so many people cared".

Runs 2014-11-27 06:12:05 

In reply to OZGOD

In the history books mate, sad day for us all. RIP Phil.
In late 2012, Hughes appeared finally to be taking a more permanent berth in the team. He batted at No. 3 against Sri Lanka, and also found his way into the ODI team, where he became the first Australian to make a hundred on debut. While Hughes found the going harder in India, struggling to find a way against the hosts' spin bowlers and parched pitches, he improved gradually as the trip went on, earning plaudits from the chief executive James Sutherland for his perseverance on a tour better known for the Mohali suspensions.

OZGOD 2014-11-27 06:16:47 

In reply to Narper

The delay (it wasn't 23 minutes it was more like 10) was while the Doctor John Orchard who was the first responder worked to ventilate and stabilise him to prevent him dying on the spot. As soon as they called the ambulances they were there in 5 or 6 minutes. St Vincents Hospital is a stone's throw away from the SCG.

archangel 2014-11-27 06:23:27 

Terrible, terrible and tragic.
My condolences to his family and the cricket fraternity in Australia.

Spare a though for the bowler.

Andy99 2014-11-27 06:27:53 

Damn man, so sad.
Never felt it so much about a death that wasn't in the family.
Hughes was my fav. OZ bat from this generation ever since his debut series.

WestDem 2014-11-27 06:44:24 

WOW!!! I am shocked, sad is still teary after reading half of the fuss article on Misinfo....My condolences to his family, friends and everyone that he touched in his short but wonderful life!!!

RIP Phillip Hughes, you will forever be remembered for real NOT OUT (63)...!

Lets also pray for Sean Abbot...I hope he will get the required help to overcome this! sad sad sad

Runs 2014-11-27 07:00:37 

In reply to WestDem

Well said am in tears myself
sad

Da-Vincy 2014-11-27 07:55:02 

Very heartbreaking. Found myself in tears.

number09 2014-11-27 08:07:21 

Found my self in tears. Spoke to a couple of friends and my older brother, and they all felt teary. As an ex-cricketer, I have been thinking of all the bouncers the missed my head, and have to thank god.

Dukes 2014-11-27 08:14:35 

In reply to OZGOD

This is so sad.As a cricket fanatic from the time my father took me to Bourda in 1965 I love this game like no other.To see a young man die playing the game is the worse tragedy imaginable.When I think that this chap is younger than my son I can not begin to comprehend the grief his parents and family are going thru now.I can tell you that us humans are not programmed to bury our children.
This is indeed the saddest day for cricket in my lifetime.
RIP PHillip Hughes and may God comfort his family,friends and cricket lovers worldwide.

WestDem 2014-11-27 08:15:47 

In reply to Dukes

Well said...most of us here can relate to him as a son.....

hubert 2014-11-27 08:18:38 

Cry man. Don't hold back.I am in tears too. There is a time to cry and this is one of those times.
A real tragedy and a sad day in cricketdom.
Rest In Peace Phil Hughes.

tops 2014-11-27 09:11:45 

In reply to OZGOD
I recall listening to the 2009 tests and him batting...
Going from memories, I think he hit 2 6's close to his ton, I don't quite recall if he brought up his ton with a 6 or the 2 6's took him in the 90's, but I was quite impressed with him.
I am truly shocked and taken a back with the news he died. sad sad shock

tops 2014-11-27 11:13:24 

I knew my memory wasn't playing tricks on me.

Harris to Hughes, FOUR, Hughes wants to get to three figures fast, he gets his bat down to scoop a flighted delivery on middle and leg and he safely clears mid-on

Harris to Hughes, no run, thrusts forward and defends

Harris to Hughes, no run, quicker through the air, he gets forward and smothers the spin

Harris to Hughes, no run, stays on the backfoot and pushes it to the on side

Harris to Hughes, SIX, talk about guts! Hughes seizes on another juicy flighted delivery and launches Harris downtown over long-on

Harris to Hughes, SIX, this young man's lived up to the hype! He takes a couple of paces down the track and lofts him with the turn and deposits the ball on the grass embankment over deep midwicket, Hughes take a bow! All the Australians are up on their feet

Thanks for the memories Hughes sad

Titleist 2014-11-27 11:34:01 

I am stunned to read about this.....so tragic. I cannot imagine what his family is going through.

chunnie 2014-11-27 11:34:40 

This is hard, man. When Hughes started playing tests, he was one of the very few Oz batsmen I enjoyed watching.

I didn't know him personally, but when I heard the news this morning, I couldn't hold back the tears. As cricket fans, we expect a lot out of cricketers... but to go to the grave playing cricket... cry

Verstehen 2014-11-27 11:34:59 

I was teary eyed also.

Devastating news. May he Rest In Peace.

Ridge 2014-11-27 12:15:08 

Sad indeed.
Should make us all reflect and
realize we can be here this minute
and gone the other. Live every day
to the fullest and harbor no hatred
for no man.
May his soul Rest In Peace.

OZGOD 2014-11-27 13:25:51 

It's hard to take because he felt like he was a part of us, of the fabric of this thing we love called cricket. He was what we in Australia call a battler - nothing came that easy to him. He was extremely talented but because he had an odd technique (very strong on the offside because when he used to practice as a kid in his parents' backyard there was an impenetrable onside which was the wall of the family home), he always had to work to chase his dreams. In and out of the Test side. We marvelled at his debut series in SA where he scored twin centuries in a Test against the best bowling attack in the world. Then we watched as his imperfections were exposed by England during the Ashes and he was dropped. Then he was always on the periphery of the side, always knocking on the door. Always the next big thing. We all thought he was being groomed to replace Chris Rogers and that they were giving him the Matt Hayden treatment, making him score mountains of runs in domestic cricket. Now we will never know.

And for a lot of people here he was of the same generation, or a generation removed. He could have been our teammate, our brother, our son, a happy go lucky bloke from country NSW who never complained even when he got dropped and always picked at 12th man, he just wanted to play cricket. He was part of the tapestry of the game, that we talk about on a daily basis here. We talk about players so much that it seems like we get to know them, through their deeds. And when he died doing what he loved, what we all loved, through the most unfortunate conjoining of probabilities, it's hard to take.

The global cricket family lost one today. So we mourn...but we have to move on. Because cricket has to move on. That's what Phil would have wanted. He'd be looking down on us today saying "geez I didn't realise so many people cared".

Dukes 2014-11-27 13:36:53 

In reply to OZGOD

The vicissitudes of life.............

jcveletta 2014-11-27 14:10:31 

May God give his family and friends the strength to keep on going in life. RIP little man.

jahmekyah 2014-11-27 14:21:55 

In reply to cricketmygame Put everything (wicb and wipa mess) into perspective

jen 2014-11-27 15:55:47 

In reply to Andy99

boy Andy, not you alone. Me cry and the man aint even me family, just really sad as a cricketer to hear someone died in the heart of doing what we all love, also knowing i was struck on the back of the neck once but luckily for me, it was just a small fraction of the ball that touched me. Hughes was no way close to being one of my favourite players (although a very good player) but this one just hit home, it really has. My mood has been dim all day, really feel it. You could imagine how Sean Abbott feeling right now? Saw a wonderful cartoon showing Hughes with angel wings and saying look after Sean. Picture perfect cartoon.

BeatDball 2014-11-28 12:33:52 

I wuz just mad when i tuned into bbc news to find out that d bloke died. I wuz asking, how could this be? He had his helmet on, so, how? But, i wuz relieved to hear from many sources, 'it wuz a freak thing'. It's a rare thing in cricket for a fatal occurrence during a game.