Narper 2014-11-27 00:02:04 

RIP Phillip Hughes

Breaking News on CNN

Narper 2014-11-27 00:07:35 

Phillip Hughes dies aged 25

ESPNcricinfo staff

November 27, 2014

Comments: 14 | Login via | Text size: A | A

Phillip Hughes has died as a result of the injuries he sustained when struck by a bouncer on Tuesday, Cricket Australia has confirmed. He was 25.

Team doctor Peter Brukner confirmed the news in a statement released on Thursday afternoon.

"It is my sad duty to inform you that a short time ago Phillip Hughes passed away," Brukner said. "He never regained consciousness following his injury on Tuesday. He was not in pain before he passed and was surrounded by his family and close friends.

"As a cricket community we mourn his loss and extend our deepest sympathies to Phillip's family and friends at this incredibly sad time. Cricket Australia kindly asks that the privacy of the Hughes family, players and staff be respected." Cricinfo

Players, coaches and other friends had been in and out of St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney throughout Wednesday and Thursday, visiting Hughes and supporting his family, and each other. Australia's captain Michael Clarke, a close friend of Hughes, had been at the hospital until after midnight on Wednesday night and returned at about 6am on Thursday.

Brad Haddin, Steven Smith, Shane Watson, David Warner, Nathan Lyon, Moises Henriques, Mitchell Starc and Daniel Smith all spent time at the hospital, as did Ricky Ponting, Simon Katich, Phil Jaques and Brett Lee. Some flew in from interstate, including Aaron Finch, Matthew Wade, Peter Siddle, Peter Forrest, George Bailey, Ed Cowan, Justin Langer, and Cricket Australia's CEO James Sutherland and high performance manager Pat Howard. The national coach Darren Lehmann was there as well.

The Hughes family had kept vigil at the hospital, including his mother and sister, who had been at the Sheffield Shield match between South Australia and New South Wales on Tuesday when Hughes was struck by the bouncer while batting on 63.

Hughes missed his attempted hook and the ball struck him below the helmet, causing a cerebral haemorrhage. He underwent surgery on Tuesday after being rushed to hospital from the SCG, and was then in an induced coma.

"It's really a matter of millimetres and the bad luck of the actual site of the impact," sports doctor Peter Larkins told the Australian on Wednesday. "It's very critical what part of the brain gets hit, you can actually just get a bruised brain or simply a crack in the skull when you get hit in certain parts of the head and not have anything as serious as Phillip has got. In this case it's hit a particular artery at the base of the neck that has burst.

"So it's like bursting a water-main and there's just an incredible release of blood from the burst artery and that's where the bleeding in the brain, the cerebral haemorrhage, occurs."

anandgb 2014-11-27 00:10:05 

In reply to Narper

Sad indeed. RIP

Narper 2014-11-27 00:24:52 

In reply to anandgb

I can still vividly remember Sarwan being felled by Fernando in 2003 WC

Also Lara being felled by Shaoib Akhtar

Then Shiv felled by Bret Lee

All three times these guys were down and not moving....

Runs 2014-11-27 05:53:02 

In reply to Narper

Batting is no easy task can be dangerous, that is why we admire guys who are blessed to be able to do it successfully. I think most young boys dreamt at least in my time of being a batsman and hearing, these days it is seeing, himself bat in commentaries.

OZGOD 2014-11-27 06:02:06 

I iust woke up and heard the news here in Boston. RIP mate. I never met you but I felt like I knew you from your NSW days through to your selection for Australia through your battles from then on. It felt like you were one of us, a bloke struggling to make good and chasing his dreams. Now it looks like God has chosen you for His team up there and I know you will be an All Star. Rest in peace and keep hitting them to Heavens boundary Phil.

Narper 2014-11-27 09:31:14 

In reply to Runs

I played a lot of cricket in my youth at school and club....there were no helmets at that time for cricket...never once thought I could die if I got hit in the head...if fact I was always most worried the ball would hit me in the balls than in de head

Sad sad sad

I hope this does not affect the up and coming youth cricketers too much

Bigzinc 2014-11-27 09:35:09 

In reply to Narper

beyond sad..this is just heartbreaking on so many levels... My heart goes out to his loved ones.

davo61 2014-11-27 10:11:53 

It's so heartbreaking, Phillip Hughes has to die when of late other sportsmen are recovering from severe head injuries, motor racer Jules Bianchi and ex racer Michael Schumacher. But as the doctor explained above, Phillip got hit in a most vulnerable area --- incredible bad luck. Hopefully the beautiful
game of cricket will not take a hit from this tragedy. Condolences to all close to the late Aussie.

solidrock 2014-11-27 11:00:02 

In reply to Narper
It hurts so much even thinking about this. May God give great comfort and grace to all who are closely affiliated with this young man. So sad! So sad!

googly1961 2014-11-27 11:01:38 

Sad and tragic... R.I.P. Phillip Hughes

ray 2014-11-27 11:02:42 

Very sad...RIP

Cricket_101 2014-11-27 11:04:46 

In reply to Narper

That's so sad! My deepest condolence go out to the family. RIP Mr. Hughes.

Kurt 2014-11-27 12:20:29 

A terrible tragedy but I must admit that I was not surprised by the news today. I've been fearing the worse ever since he was hit.

This is a seminal moment for cricket and it will never be quite the same. Generations from now, we will still be talking about this tragedy.

RIP Phil.