The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Lara suffered a similar injury. Thank God it didn't end up worse

BatQuake 2014-11-27 08:00:36 

Here it is; blow below the helmet from an Shoaib Akhtar delivery.

And pay attention to the slow-motion replays. Frightening in light of this Phillip Hughes very sad event.

Dukes 2014-11-27 19:34:03 

In reply to BatQuake

How did you arrive at the conclusion that this is a similar injury?

R U NUTS??????

moneybrain 2014-11-27 19:50:59 

In reply to Dukes

I watched that game with my Auntie (85) who was an ardent Cricket fan. When i saw how Lara was swiping at the ball and therefore DISRESPECTING Shoaib's wicked speed, I turned to her and said," Aunties shoaib is going to HIT him soon as I was a pacer and know how we think." She said it would not happen and the very next ball he dropped Lara. Needless to say my Aunt was somewhat speechless.

Lara was acting like a FOOL and was very lucky NOT to be maimed or killed that day! cool

moneybrain 2014-11-27 19:56:53 

Lara was not that good to express pace!

Genius to spin and slower pace though! Typical of Titties who I ran bout on several occasions! cool

BatQuake 2014-11-27 20:13:52 

In reply to Dukes

How did you arrive at the conclusion that this is a similar injury?

By your utterance, my mind is somewhat led to contemplate whether you have not yet seen video of the bouncer that knocked down Phillip Hughes.

Maybe I should have said that Lara experienced a similar accident to Phillip Hughes? But then you would maybe ask me how is this a similar accident.

Maybe I could have said that Lara experienced a similar incident to Phillip Hughes??? Or maybe I could have said that Lara experienced a close bouncer blow to his neck area which nearly mirrors the Hughes incident???

R U NUTS??????

...(sigh)........

No Dukes. I am not NUTS. I am The BatQuake.

ponderiver 2014-11-27 20:18:10 

In reply to BatQuake

No Dukes. I am not NUTS. I am The BatQuake.
oh the irony smh cool

BatQuake 2014-11-27 20:19:59 

In reply to ponderiver

Oh my.

What's up?

Chrissy 2014-11-27 21:20:02 

BSCQuake! lol lol lol

Babylon 2014-11-27 21:25:23 

In reply to Chrissy
Lara was a big fat pussy to speedsters.

hotarobin 2014-11-27 21:45:17 

In reply to BatQuake

more like similar delivery different injury to me...

BatQuake 2014-11-27 22:18:20 

In reply to hotarobin

Our buddy Dukes might play troublesome and ask how the delivery is similar.

Anyways, according to an online source, the word similar can be defined as "resembling without being identical."

(Similar injury......similar delivery......)

Similar injury because both Lara's injury and Hughes injury were to the neck area.

Larr Pullo 2014-11-28 00:33:00 

In reply to BatQuake

You are correct. When I saw what happens to Hughes, I immediately thought of Lara.

gvenkat 2014-11-28 00:35:55 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Bouncers were always meant to be a form of physical intimidation. Nothing more... It's not a wicket taking delivery. It's just bowled to scare the batsman...

Time to put that savage form of bowling aside. cool

Larr Pullo 2014-11-28 00:36:24 

Hear Holding, "You hope that it's more neck than jaw because there's nothing in the neck to break, at least no to the front of the neck....". redface

Larr Pullo 2014-11-28 00:37:34 

In reply to gvenkat

No time for you and your banned buddy's trolling crap.

NineMiles 2014-11-28 02:59:37 

Like you all forgetting this; Brett Lee nearly kills Crabbie

Larr Pullo 2014-11-28 03:07:06 

In reply to NineMiles

Crabbie was actually dead, see how his feet were turned outward? However when Lord Shiva came to get him he said, "eff that Lord Shiva, I got a century to complete..." Shiva then let him come back and keep batting.... smile

NineMiles 2014-11-28 03:15:08 

In reply to Larr Pullo

lol lol

Babylon 2014-11-28 03:54:53 

In reply to Larr Pullo
u luv going after dem indians. walk good u next step just might be tragedy

Pacy 2014-11-28 05:04:41 

In reply to gvenkat

Bouncers were always meant to be a form of physical intimidation. Nothing more... It's not a wicket taking delivery. It's just bowled to scare the batsman...

What about the savege shots the batsmen play which endanger the fielders, Umpires and spectators? How would you address that?

BatQuake 2014-11-28 05:47:47 

In reply to Larr Pullo

You are correct. When I saw what happens to Hughes, I immediately thought of Lara.

Yup, Lara's incident definitely comes to mind.

Devon Smith also had a shaky incident with a bouncer...

BatQuake 2014-11-28 05:52:31 

In reply to Larr Pullo

This fella here got roughed up by two Lee bouncers...

Dukes 2014-11-28 06:08:59 

In reply to BatQuake

Lara suffered a similar injury.

Our buddy Dukes might play troublesome and ask how the delivery is similar.

The above demonstrates why it is impossible to discuss anything with you.

To be charitable ,I would say that sometimes what you think you said is not actually what you said.

CricketLuva4 2014-11-28 06:30:30 

In reply to BatQuake

In most cases, Shiv, Lara, Smith, were all taking evasive action, IE - bracing their body for impact.

The bad thing about Hughes' blow was that he wasn't expecting it.

natty_forever 2014-11-28 07:12:11 

In reply to Larr Pullo... you say it like is joke.

BatQuake 2014-11-28 07:51:55 

In reply to Dukes

The above demonstrates why it is impossible to discuss anything with you.

Oh okay.

....(sigh)........

To be charitable ,I would say that sometimes what you think you said is not actually what you said.

Playing magician now eh Dukes. Even worse, you trying to pull a Lenks on me or wha.... lol lol lol

Anyways, what I do know I said stands. Lara suffered a similar injury to that suffered by Phillip Hughes.

Now if you want to be super technical with the specific diagnosis, then fine. However both Hughes and Lara suffered injuries to the neck areas from bouncers.

Anyways, according to an online source, the word similar can be defined as "resembling without being identical."

BatQuake 2014-11-28 08:24:19 

In reply to CricketLuva4

In most cases, Shiv, Lara, Smith, were all taking evasive action, IE - bracing their body for impact.

The bad thing about Hughes' blow was that he wasn't expecting it.

Well, their bodies were defensive mode trying to avoid impact. Lara's injury to the neck is most similar to the Hughes injury blow to the neck.

I think coming out from this Hughes tragedy, considerable effort should be made by all stakeholders to teach cricketers how to evade the bouncer. Young kids should be taught the evasion techniques so as to make it second nature.

The hook short may be abandoned by a number of players as it is that type of shot that requires one to make such rotation of the body to the extent that the back of the neck becomes exposed based on the amount of body rotation or if one miscalculates the speed of the ball and swings through too early with the ball. Remember, the hook short is played to a ball that is already honing in for the neck, throat or head area whereas for the pull short, the ball is generally targeting the chest area.

The forward short leg fielder position is the one I feel where immediate attention needs to go. Maybe some sort of neck collar could be created for the short leg fielder as he has little time to evade a vicious shots.

gvenkat 2014-11-28 08:58:29 

In reply to Larr Pullo

No trolling. What purpose does a short ball serve other than intimidation and bodily harm

gvenkat 2014-11-28 08:58:44 

In reply to Pacy

Really?

Dukes 2014-11-28 10:34:50 

In reply to gvenkat

Ball 1:Oh that was a very quick bouncer which he barely got out of the way from.
Ball 2:Oh he is caught behind.That was well pitched up and he did not move his feet and just pushed at it and it took the outside edge straight thru to the keeper for a simple catch.

WHY THE FCUK DID HE NOT MOVE HIS FEET???????

GET LOST!!!!!!

jen 2014-11-28 10:38:58 

In reply to gvenkat

you don't see men fend off short stuff and get out? Clearly you aint watch Mitchell Johnson in the last ashes.

jen 2014-11-28 10:41:29 

I think what Dukes is trying to say, Hughes got hit dead on the artery, Lara got hit where less stuff is to damage. Truth be told, as a cricketer, i'm well aware of that artery, but it never crossed my mind that someone would get hit there. Time really exposes you to new things. have been hit on the back of my neck before but only very little of the ball touched me. Felt a slight headache but that's about it

Dukes 2014-11-28 10:50:21 

In reply to jen

A cricket ball causing dissection of the vertebral artery is EXCEPTIONALLY RARE.IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!!!!!!

THERE ARE ABOUT 100 CASES OF TRAUMATIC VERTEBRAL ARTERY DISSECTION IN THE LITERATURE!!!!!

In the medical literature dating back 300 years there is 100 cases!!!!!!!!

Allyuh doan unnastand how RARE this is!!!!!!!!!!

Dukes 2014-11-28 10:53:08 

BTW the real danger which helmets prevent damage to is the MIDDLE MENINGEAL ARTERY which is just in front of the ear and could lead to major problems if damaged

gvenkat 2014-11-28 10:53:46 

In reply to jen

Boss, short stuff is intimidating and if not handled properly will cause bodily harm.. Just like how Bodyline was.. As simple as that. cool

shivnotout 2014-11-28 10:54:59 

In reply to BatQuake

them caribbean boys have hard head lol