Notts recruits Sammy

WI_cricfan 2015-03-04 11:01:33 

congrats Sammy. you na need the worries from WI cricket

Admin 2015-03-04 11:08:37 

Keep getting dem cheques, son.

_r

jacksprat 2015-03-04 11:13:58 

Good for Sammy!

I hope no one call him a 'mercenary' or 'PD' for being marketable.

Bigzinc 2015-03-04 11:15:48 

In reply to jacksprat

Sammy owes it to himself and family to maxmize his earnings. Good for him...

jacksprat 2015-03-04 11:20:42 

In reply to Bigzinc

Sammy owes it to himself and family to maxmize his earnings. Good for him...

Exactly!

That is why I always defended Gayle, Bravo, Pollard, et al, against the hypocrites who derided them as 'mercenaries' because they were in-demand professional cricketers.

Those same ones are now noticeably silent now that Sammy is reaping some of that same largess.

FuzzyWuzzy 2015-03-04 11:55:58 

In reply to jacksprat

Which WI series did Sammy miss to accommodate his franchise team?

4more 2015-03-04 12:05:29 

Go Darren. Make your country proud!!

Cuter 2015-03-04 12:15:13 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

don't expect an answer

jacksprat 2015-03-04 12:29:20 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Which WI series did Gayle miss to accommodate his franchise team... or Bravo..or Pollard?

FuzzyWuzzy 2015-03-04 12:35:38 

In reply to jacksprat

They refused retainer contracts

jacksprat 2015-03-04 12:48:09 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

They refused retainer contracts

That is your big evidence that they have "missed WI series to accommodate [their] franchise teams" ? rolleyes

That is indeed fuzzy logic!

Brian Lara also refused retainer contract, much like the cited players, because it was his constitutional right as a citizen of a free society to do so.

Gayle, for one, has refused retainer contracts for years now and he has never voluntarily missed a series to "accommodate his franchise team"

TheTrail 2015-03-04 12:50:48 

Go Sammy. You the man! Make the haters grovel.

rubberd 2015-03-04 12:53:43 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Here in lies the problem for West Indies administrators, five years ago Sammy needed the money so he mashed the crease and did not overstep. Today he has made enough that he can demand "fair" treatment. If Jason Holder plays for 5 years the same thing will happen and the cycle of throwing players when they are now maturing will happen all over again. No way Sammy should be retiring from test cricket when he could "earn" his place on the side.

Scar 2015-03-04 13:48:14 

In reply to rubberd Sammy made the decision to retire from Test cricket just as some other better cricketers on better teams did prior to him. This is not only a WI thing as some are making it out to be. There comes a time when you realize that there are younger improved prospects that can serve WI as you are in your 30s. That is the hardest thing for athletes to do and accept - the fact that your skills are on the down slide and you can give younger players opportunities. Even Jordon had a hard time with that! Bravo is on the down side of his career, Sammy too, Gayle as well. Doesnt mean they wont have moments of brilliance (see Federa, Drogba) but managing your ability and limiting your workload while maintaining income is key at this point.

Bigzinc 2015-03-04 14:27:49 

Cut Sammy some slack. The man is trying to make a living. Jeez

nick2020 2015-03-04 14:37:02 

In reply to jacksprat

Gayle said being cappo was cramping his style.

Isn't that PD?

Jabari18 2015-03-04 14:50:50 

Mek u money

jacksprat 2015-03-04 15:21:11 

In reply to nick2020

Are you related to Fuzzy?

Your argument seem pretty weak and your logic seem a bit unclear.

By the way when did Gayle say "captaincy is cramping my style". I missed it so I would appreciate you citing a source.

Thanks

NineMiles 2015-03-04 15:33:12 

In reply to jacksprat

When they asked you to be captain, how did you feel, what thoughts went through your head?

At the time, when I was asked to be the captain, I didn't want to be the captain. Because I knew it would take up the majority of my time and I always want my time. How it come about I became captain, because Sarwan was the captain and then he actually got injured ...

Listen to it for yourself

Man, you are becoming just as bad as Lady ZsaZsa !!

FuzzyWuzzy 2015-03-04 15:35:03 

In reply to NineMiles

What do you expect from jockstrap? big grin

jacksprat 2015-03-04 15:43:16 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

You still haven't answered how players exercising their right not to sign a retaining contract equates to "missed WI series to accommodate [their] franchise teams" ?

In reply to NineMiles

Fair enough. I honestly did not recall Gayle saying that being "captain was cramping his style" and now you have cited evidence where Gayle said when he was first appointed he was a reluctant captain. Good.

I still how being a reluctant captain makes one a PD. Courtney Walsh was also a reluctant captain as well. I guess he too was "mercenary" and a "PD"

NineMiles 2015-03-04 15:50:00 

In reply to jacksprat

Listen, don't put Walsh and Gayle in the same bracket. Walsh may have been a reluctant captain but he gave it his all when he held that esteem position. Not complaining to first white female journalist he could find about not wanting to be cappo and that Test cricket is dead !!

archangel 2015-03-04 15:56:56 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

I recall Sammy musing regional games for Windwards to play franchise cricket.
Isn't that why he retired from Test?

lalaboy 2015-03-04 16:00:49 

In reply to jacksprat

At the end of the day, maximizing your earning is what its all about

jacksprat 2015-03-04 16:08:25 

In reply to lalaboy

At the end of the day, maximizing your earning is what its all about

That's the point I have been making to these hypocrites!

When called missed regional games to play franchise T20 cricket some of them said he should be disqualified from playing for 6the West Indies.

Now that Sammy has the same opportunity, and has missed regional games, to maximize his earning, the silence is deafening!!!

If our professional crickets whose services are in demand around the cricketing worldare 'mercenaries' then so too are Usain Bolt and the other marketable T&F athletes who run on the Diamond League circuit world wide!

IDIOCY!

natty_forever 2015-03-04 16:15:34 

In reply to jacksprat... notice them shift the argument to captaincy and all kind of other things.

jacksprat 2015-03-04 16:22:32 

In reply to natty_forever

Pure obfuscation!

Larr Pullo 2015-03-04 16:43:50 

In reply to jacksprat

If our professional crickets who services are in demand around the cricketing worldare 'mercenaries' then so too are Usain Bolt and the other marketable T&F athletes who run on the Diamond League circuit world wide!

IDIOCY!

Fully agree with your own succinct assessment of your statement. Couldn't have said it better myself!!!

jacksprat 2015-03-04 16:53:14 

In reply to Larr Pullo
Good to know that you have an ample supply of windex!

bimbo 2015-03-04 16:53:19 

In reply to Bigzinc

Well done Sammy. This is why we need to forget the test cricket thing, allow young West Indians to make good money.

POINT 2015-03-04 17:08:53 

In reply to rubberd

I have made exactly your point on another Post in this Forum . I strongly believe that when junior Players on the West Indies Team become Senior Players , they will be fired
by the WICB .

nick2020 2015-03-04 17:16:24 

In reply to jacksprat

Look, I am not here in any other capacity but this

You were the first person to say this word in the topic:

I hope no one call him a 'mercenary' or 'PD' for being marketable.

If you only said mercenary I would have not said anything. But there is no question this statement:

I didn't want to be the captain. Because I knew it would take up the majority of my time and I always want my time.

Is just about as PD and PD gets. It is a horrible statement. No he did not say quote unquote that being Captain is cramping my style but that sums up what he said.

So your way of obfuscation is to say he never said "it was cramping my style". Okay, be difficult. Gayle said "I knew it would take up the majority of my time and I always want my time." and THAT is PD. He has enough time to do all the things he wants to do when he is playing cricket as a non captain but no more. Like play in the IPL or BBL or be captain of the Tallawahs in the CPL. But no more.

Boy. You so blindly support J'cans that you cannot acknowledge when they do something wrong. I am a Sammy fan but I know he does hide from bowling and is not very talented.