The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

This shiv episode is a sad state of affairs

imusic 2015-05-25 13:09:40 

messy, backward, inept, distasteful

cherri 2015-05-25 13:12:46 

In reply to imusic

I am enjoying it to tell the truth...........when yuh is a closet tyrant these is the things that does happen........

Commie 2015-05-25 13:16:59 

In reply to cherri

Its very Caribbean. Fellas blocked it not because they were against Shiv but because they wanted to ruin a PR moment.

Now everyone is on the backfoot. The coach, the selectors, the board.

Cornfused 2015-05-25 13:17:23 

Class and the WICB and indeed most cricket boards hardly go hand in hand . As I said elsewhere if a CEO of an NBA team would have tweeted those derogatory remarks of a star player . The fans would have demanded his resignation . In these parts he gets re-elected for a second term .

pariaman 2015-05-25 13:19:11 

In reply to imusic

How so?

They ask the man to retire the man say no!

Therefore you cannot play a match and say this is his last!

The only choice is to drop the man.

The only thing sad is that Shiv was not able to read the writing on the wall

defeyeant 2015-05-25 13:20:54 

In reply to Commie

Its very Caribbean.

thats it in a nutshell

deanjones 2015-05-25 13:21:23 

karma is a bitch eh. A more fitting send off couldn't have been orchestrated for Selfishpaul.

dax 2015-05-25 13:24:45 

In reply to imusic

it is.

From a cricketing point of view - with or without Shiv - WI will lose both tests vs OZ ( unless weather plays a big role)

Emir 2015-05-25 13:25:16 

In reply to imusic

messy, backward, inept, distasteful

I resent your characterization of Shiv- he was a great servant of WI cricket who did a wonderful job over the years and he will be remembered as a very good batsman.

It was past the time for him to retire on his own- an option he unfortunately to choose not to make. The right thing was done by the coach and supported by the selectors.

Cowcorner 2015-05-25 13:27:46 

In reply to pariaman

How so?

They ask the man to retire the man say no!

Therefore you cannot play a match and say this is his last!

The only choice is to drop the man.

No you say to the man the next 2 are your last like it or not. If he decide not to play that is his business.

Datchworth 2015-05-25 13:29:34 

In reply to pariaman

With boxers, the last thing to go is power, and the first thing to go are the reflexes.

With cricketers, I guess the eyes are the first thing to go and that's why players rage against the dying of the light, and cannot read the writing on the wall.

carl0002 2015-05-25 13:35:06 

In reply to pariaman
It still did not need to get to this.

If these are his last 2 tests, then thats what it is.

I am not sure if he understood, whether he announce it or not, these are the last 2 and they are giving him an opportunity to bow out gracefully. If he wants to ride off into the sunset without any fanfare that's his prerogative. And who knows maybe thats what he wanted.

Now it seems as if his inclusion was dependent on him announcing his retirement. That not making sense.
Once again they took a real simple thing. And made it way more complex than it should. Super Dave sure got a penchant for escalating the ridiculous into something even more ridiculous.

shock shock

pariaman 2015-05-25 13:45:24 

In reply to carl0002

Then whats the purpose of giving 2 more if he cannot be celebrated like how pasts greats like Steve was was done for his last test. Or as Steve Gerrard was in his last match for liverpool?

If the man refuses to retire of his own accord then the only logical to do is when you are convinced he can no longer perform based on past results is to drop him.

The man refuses to accept that it is time to call it quits so therefore you treat his as just another player and drop him when he is not performing!

carl0002 2015-05-25 13:53:39 

Okay just to make sure we get this right.

When was he asked to retire

Was it during the English series.
Or was it to be during the OZ series

Tagwa1 2015-05-25 13:57:32 

In reply to imusic

Simmons was the one who started it. By making what should have been a private talk with a player a media spectacle.

imusic 2015-05-25 14:03:31 

It was always going to be a tricky affair when it came to shiv and retirement.

He loves playing the game. He feels he can still contribute and if you look at sheer stats...he has a point.

Management has a different vision. They want to move on with a rebuild and don't see him as part of their plans. They too have a point.

Someone once said that shiv is like those prize fighters that don't know when to quit. And that may be so....but put yourself in his shoes. Outside of the SA and England tours....he's performed pretty much how he always has. He had a pretty decent FC season finishing among the top run scorers. So in his mind...he's probably thinking he's had a dip in form....but he's still among the best batsmen in the region. And he would be right

What was needed was for the situation to be effectively managed. Looks like an attempt was made to do just that when the coach and shiv had a meeting. Not sure how that transpired but looks like subsequently, both parties drew a line in the sand...and we have what we have.

Extremely sad. I live in Canada and I see (ad nauseum) how they treat their hockey players. There's hardly a regular season game where some past player isn't honoured for something. I'm not saying it's utopia....but it's way better than how our past players are generally treated.

Maybe shiv brought this on himself...but either way....it's a very sad state of affairs

Disciple 2015-05-25 14:21:19 

There's always been a lot of debate whether Shiv was a true West Indian great. Now that he's been treated in a similar fashion to other greats like Viv, Lara, Haynes etc, the debate can finally end!

dwinston 2015-05-25 14:37:05 

In reply to imusic

the only sadness i see is Shiv's intransigence. He should have retired. West Indies cricket suffer over the years because we do not blood new talent. Shiv WAS a great cricket, he fought a good fight, he represented us very well, but like all good things: the cause is over, the hope has faded in your ability to be consistent.
Thanks Shiv. You contributed much to WI cricket , now find another way to do so, Maybe this time you can help the young ones.

Bigzinc 2015-05-25 14:47:26 

In reply to dwinston

There should have been no ambiguity. This was badly managed. Its time for shiv to go and that is the end of it. Past greats have been dissed so Shiv is no exception.

Ridge 2015-05-25 14:50:08 

In reply to dwinston

West Indies cricket suffer over the years because we do not blood new talent.

You serious.

Chrissy 2015-05-25 14:54:42 

In reply to cherri

Eent -typical 'carnfushon' - laughing stock of di planet.

pariaman 2015-05-25 14:55:11 

In reply to Bigzinc

I would say that Shiv's attitude made it impossible for it to go any other way but badly!

Chrissy 2015-05-25 14:58:25 

In reply to Cornfused

Correct is right

Cricket_101 2015-05-25 15:03:42 

In reply to imusic
Totally agree. Am not sure what transpired btw Shiv and the Windies organization, but Shiv deserves better! At lease they'd had announced and made the Assie series his farewell!

Maispwi 2015-05-25 15:23:53 

In reply to Cricket_101

The WICB cannot announce that any series is a player's last ubless that player has announced his intended retirement.

On one hand you tork of disrespect to players and on de other you want to dictate when a player retires

don1 2015-05-25 15:25:52 

In reply to Bigzinc

That you didn't something bad before, doesn't me doing it again makes it right.