The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

An ALTERNATIVE Format for CPL?

thefacts 2015-07-03 07:45:47 

Starting a new Thread, of my following post:
--

How about this as an alternative format for the CPL:

1) Each team is required to play 10 games.

2) Co-Incidentally, We have 10 major venues in the Caribbean:
Jamaica
Barbados
Guyana
Trinidad
Antigua
St.Lucia
St.Kitts
St.Vincent
Grenada
Dominica

3) As a format, all 6 teams should travel TOGETHER to each venue for 2 days, in which 3 games will be played:
Day.1 - 2 games
Day.2 - 1 game
(Basically all 6 teams play a game each)

4) Day.3 will be used as REST DAY or to travel to the next venue. Which will be by GEOGRAPHIC PROXIMITY: (shortest and cheapest possible FLIGHT)

(Say starting round-1 in Jamaica and ending Round-10 in Guyana)
Eg. Jamaica -> St.Kitts -> Antigua -> Dominica -> St.Lucia -> St.Vincent -> Barbados -> Grenada -> Trinidad -> Guyana

Day.4 can be a rest day depending on other factors...

5) Day.5 &6 will again have 3 games, involving all 6 teams.

6) Day.7,8 again travel day or rest day, there can be games arranged too.

7) Day.9&10 again 3 games…. so on and so forth.

8 ) The competition will basically become a 10-round (each round involving 3 days, 2 game days and 1 rest day) and will COVER THE ENTIRE CARIBBEAN REGION!

IMO the best part is that each team will play in EACH VENUE, every 3 days.
No Advantage to any team.
Also the entire caribbean public will get at least 1 game of each team… and get to enjoy this league.

This will be LIKE FORMULA-ONE GRAND PRIX… with standard ROUNDS.. and over the years, there will be great HISTORY attached to each LEG (ROUND) of the LEAGUE

Further, the TEAMS will be required to master different conditions / grounds to finish top of the table.

9) The Play-OFF VENUES can be AUCTIONED TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER

--

The Only Compromise in this, is NO HOME-AWAY format.

openning 2015-07-03 07:58:59 

In reply to thefacts

Hope you negotiated your format with the sponsors, who will be selling the TV rights to?(

thefacts 2015-07-03 08:01:54 

In reply to openning

for a second, lets just take all that aside, and consider the merits of such a Format for our Caribbean Premier League,

I mean, isn't it worth a shot at something like this?

10-Rounds/Legs, Almost Formula One Grand Prix Style
All 10 venues covered.

One Game per team, every 3 days.

Different Conditions / Grounds for all Teams…. No Advantage of one particular venue or ORDER of matches or Scheduling.

openning 2015-07-03 08:03:54 

In reply to thefacts

I cannot because someone has to pay players.
Gate receipts will only pay a few.
Think dude

thefacts 2015-07-03 08:06:34 

In reply to openning

I think, a pan-Caribbean CPL should not have sponsorship problems.

Infact, if we get 1 "DAY" game in every round, that will open up the "BIG" Indian and UK TV markets too.

If I am not making a time-zone error, but say 1 "Day" game that starts at 1100 local, will start in primetime evening slot in the Indian TV Market. (Same time as the IPL Primetime Night Game) and will be an afternoon Game in the UK time zone.

With already "Indian" celebrities buying into CPL Stakes, this will only improve the selling ability of the CPL product to the biggest market in the world.

and Once the Indian Money starts flowing into CPL, sky is the LIMIT!!

Think Dude
cool

cherri 2015-07-03 09:15:45 

The Fuck......

Cowcorner 2015-07-03 10:22:11 

In reply to thefacts

I like the idea of all grounds getting games.
However I like the idea of home and away.

For me it would be great to see the cost difference between the current schedule, vs home and away, vs your proposal.

WestDem 2015-07-03 10:30:33 

In reply to thefacts

Yuh really think that ESPN would go for such a format? Did you think about them even for a second before yuh come with that format? This is nat only about de players and fans that attend the games yuh know...think big picture bigman...

imusic 2015-07-03 10:31:29 

What she said

Cowcorner 2015-07-03 10:37:51 

In reply to WestDem

Why wouldn't ESPN go for it?

Kay 2015-07-03 10:39:55 

In reply to thefacts

At least you are putting some thought and a lot of effort in your projects. I'll give you that....

WestDem 2015-07-03 10:40:29 

In reply to Cowcorner

Think the additional Logistics cost this will add to their budget...My guess is if they accept this format, they will pass that additional cost to guess who? Yuh think it easy to move every three days?

Cowcorner 2015-07-03 10:50:49 

In reply to WestDem

Think the additional Logistics cost this will add to their budget...My guess is if they accept this format, they will pass that additional cost to guess who? Yuh think it easy to move every three days?

Ah get where you are coming from

My view is that if the issue to ESPN is cost. Then they will price it in. Ie pay less for the broadcast rights. Hence that price adjustment should to some extent make them indifferent.

Hence the real question is does the extra cost bring any real benefit?

Hard to see unless we run the numbers. Thefacts what in your view is the financial benefit for your schedule? More people watching? More involvement with sponsors?

Maispwi 2015-07-03 11:23:39 

In reply to WestDem

Does the production crew belong to ESPN?

They are the ones dat have to move and set up all de time.

WestDem 2015-07-03 11:27:52 

In reply to Cowcorner

Kool! In the real business world, yuh just don't come up with an alternative anything without being able to justify it...it all come dung to dollars and sense....even the CPL franchises will add costs to their budgets....now rather than paying hotel/airfare and other expenses to the players/admins in four locations fuh a longer period at a cheaper cost due to better options to negotiate deals versus shorter time and more frequent flying...just thinking about this nah mek too much sense unless the various regional government contribute financially...

thefacts 2015-07-03 11:28:46 

In reply to Cowcorner

The first thing to do, is to judge, the difference in the current format and this suggested format:

Step.1

In the current format, the following happens:

Jun 20th-26th
Round-1, simultaneous 4 games each in Barbados and St.Lucia on alternate days.

Jun 30th - July 12th
Round-2, simultaneous 10 games in St.Kitts and 4 in Jamaica on alternate days

Jul 14th-28th
Round-3, simultaneous 4 games each in Trinidad and Guyana on alternate days

--

Now when such simultaneous games happen, teams have to move between venues.
I don't know how much does ESPN, Commentators etc have to spend to cover these simultaneous games.

--

In total at least, 3 rounds, each with 2 venues, means 3 time movements minimum per AWAY TEAM (this is the bare minimum without any detail involved) + at least hotel bookings in both venues multiple times.

i.e example -- Tallawahs played first game in Barbados, then went to St.Lucia, then went to St.Kitts (3 TRIPS)
then Trinis did the same, and are waiting in St.Kitts for next game (3 TRIPS)

Patriots and Warriors also played 1 game each in Barbados and St.Lucia and then moved to St.Kitts. (3 TRIPS)

Barbados and St.Lucia have played their 4 home games + then moved to St.Kitts for next game. (1 TRIP EACH)

--

Step.2

In my format, there are 10 movements, but all TOGETHER.

Players, Staff, ESPN, Commentators… everybody travels 10 times.

Everyone checks into a hotel in each venue ONCE, checks out and doesn't come back.

The ESPN Crew goes to one venue for 2 days, sets up, beams the game live and leaves for the NEXT VENUE.
* Please note:
ESPN is managing two simultaneous venues in current format.

--

I am not getting into exact details right now, because its a working day.. but i mean seriously…

EFFICIENCY of the PROCESS / FORMAT needs to be taken into consideration.

+ isn't the possibility of Indian TV Market worth exploring?

WestDem 2015-07-03 11:29:18 

In reply to Maispwi

Does the production crew belong to ESPN?

Really don't know 100% but the costs are still real...maybe Powen can let us know... lol lol lol

thefacts 2015-07-03 11:40:40 

In reply to WestDem

Please Note the difference that currently ESPN is managing TWO SIMULATANEOUS VENUES….

In the suggested format, its 1 venue at a time for 2 days.

I am guessing, it will be cheaper in the latter.

Also think of the savings in Salaries of extra personnel required, hotel bills, flight tickets etc. for managing two simultaneous venues.

That means 2 crews at least in current format.

While in my format: 1 crew will DO… that alone must mean HUGE SAVINGS to ESPN!

thefacts 2015-07-03 11:44:05 

In reply to Kay

thanks big grin

openning 2015-07-03 11:49:53 

In reply to WestDem

These guys sit in a Rumshop with little overhead and come up with a schedule, get them out of their comfort zone and put them in a Sportsbar, you will see them think, before opening their mouths,

thefacts 2015-07-03 11:51:41 

In reply to openning

when someone attacks THE PERSON, instead of ATTACKING THEIR IDEA… one realises, THEY ARE DOING OKAY! big grin cool

thefacts 2015-07-03 12:07:24 

In reply to WestDem

Really don't know 100% but the costs are still real

ONE thing is for SURE---

With 1 crew, as per my format, instead of TWO CREWS required as per current format --- ESPN will happily agree to the ALTERNATE FORMAT.

These days--- SALARIES ALONE, + OVERHEADS, HOTEL BILLS, LOGISTICS are the biggest cost components..

imusic 2015-07-03 12:16:07 

In reply to thefacts

I have no idea, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be to move TV equipment over 4 venues, far less 10. And with a maximum of 2 "rest" days no less.

And of course...this is the caribbean....you don't seem to have factored in VERY REAL issues like flight delays, cancellations, lost luggage etc.

thefacts 2015-07-03 12:23:13 

In reply to imusic

there are going to be challenges.

and there are going to be some COMPROMISES ALSO.

BUT there are DEFINITELY going to be some BIG BENEFITS too.

--

The problem as i see it in our Caribbean society --- we are frankly LAZY!

Whatever seems to be the EASIEST and least HARD-WORKING option, we tend to GO WITH THAT!

--

the issues that you have mentioned, frankly can be overcome.

Surely with such an entourage, 6 TEAMS + ESPN + WICB etc etc…it goes without saying that Arrangements will have to be MADE.

thefacts 2015-07-03 12:27:53 

In reply to imusic

I have no idea, but I can only imagine how difficult it must be to move TV equipment over 4 venues

Sir Currently there are 6 venues.

2 each at one time.

That makes it 2 crews.

imusic 2015-07-03 12:38:57 

In reply to thefacts

By the way...kudos to you on your initiative.

Respeck

openning 2015-07-03 12:39:20 

In reply to thefacts

Why dont you get your figures together and let the board see the cost of your propose plan.
It make no sense for anyone to discuss changes to a format, without getting a comparative budget plan.
Having an idea is one thing, see how beneficial it would be to the owners is another.
So give us some numbers, and the logistics of moving crews around the region.

Courtesy 2015-07-03 12:51:50 

In reply to openning

Respect openning.

Any alternative plan without a comparative cost/benefit analysis is just what it is, "a plan". And most times it is pie in the sky.

Such "alternative plans" in this raw format wouldn't pass any logical and systemic thinker.

It would be DOA...a meaningless exercise.

Cowcorner 2015-07-03 13:39:50 

In reply to openning

Come on openning. As much as I agree that to have a full discussion one would need to see the numbers. In my view it is difficult for the avg person in the Rum Shop to run these numbers as we are not sure of most of the cost.

Maybe the most you can do is look a the delta. With the absolute cost values having no real value.

But this is the Rum shop.

Courtesy 2015-07-03 13:41:55 

In reply to Cowcorner

Simple question: don't you think Newdread and the other head honchos at CPL would have considered the various options available to them, appraised all these options and picked the most cost effective option?

Cowcorner 2015-07-03 13:45:46 

In reply to Courtesy

Simple question: don't you think Newdread and the other head honchos at CPL would have considered the various options available to them and picked the most cost effective option?

I would like to say yes to that question.

But I would like to say sometimes there are ideas that sometimes just get missed or never thought of.

Courtesy 2015-07-03 13:49:48 

In reply to Cowcorner

I would like to say yes to that question.

But I would like to say sometimes their are ideas that sometimes just get missed or never thought of.

Thank you. And the only way you can move forward after the most cost effective option is chosen is to conduct a re-evaluation exercise...but this re-evaluation can only be done when all the facts and information including costs are available?

Cowcorner 2015-07-03 13:53:13 

In reply to Courtesy

Thank you. And the only way you can move forward after the most cost effective option is chosen is to conduct a re-evaluation exercise...but this re-evaluation can only be done when all the facts and information are available?

Don't disagree just think regular rumshop persons will not have the numbers. And even estimates of the numbers will take some time and effort to research.

Courtesy 2015-07-03 13:54:39 

In reply to Cowcorner

Don't disagree just think regular rumshop persons will not have the numbers. And even estimates of the numbers will take some time and effort to research.

Thank you. Logical and systematic thinkers never pull plans from their asses and offer it as alternatives without going through a complete option appraisal exercise.

I have made my point.

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:04:24 

In reply to Courtesy

Quit passing judgement

If you had any brains, you would get ideas too

It all starts with THAT -> AN IDEA

Then comes a high level view:

1. Half the crew cost
2. Efficiency of Process
3. Coverage of entire Caribbean
4. All Teams playing every 3 days
5. Same format for all teams

These are the large scale benefits

Then there are some challenges and compromises

Now thats the high level view - the details will come as more inputs are pooled in

Rome wasnt built in a day!!!

& the rum shop is exactly for idea pooling and discussion

You some lazy rass, who want full plans and blueprints to sit on judgement

Loud steupppssss

Courtesy 2015-07-03 14:07:09 

In reply to thefacts

Quit passing judgement

If you had any brains, you would get ideas too

It all starts with THAT -> AN IDEA

....& the rum shop is exactly for idea pooling and discussion ...

You jackass...an IDEA is not an alternative.

What you have put forward here is an idea which needs to run the whole gamut of option appraisal.

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:08:45 

In reply to Courtesy

An idea is the starting of a possible alternative

You worked for Microsoft or what??

Youre closed minded and dumb as hell.

What do you want one to do in rum shop, post Excel sheets?

Stupid mofo

Courtesy 2015-07-03 14:09:58 

In reply to thefacts

...a possible alternative

You're getting there...you jackass.

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:11:10 

In reply to Courtesy

Atleast i have a brain. Done with you. Now Fack off

Courtesy 2015-07-03 14:11:48 

In reply to thefacts

Run along with your crass ideas.

WestDem 2015-07-03 14:12:50 

In reply to thefacts

You some lazy rass, who want full plans and blueprints to sit on judgement

I don't think its lazy...just remember that you are pitching this idea to the CEO of the CPL...yuh expect him to tek your idea at de summary level and dig down to the details?

Using your idea...three days...six squads (about 120 personnel)...10 locations...fughet de ESPN part....what you think will be de overhead costs for one of these three days stay over? Anodda thing...once de CPL season starts...de players only practice on game days? I think your idea will only work if de CPL play only on weekends...and the teams have unlimited financial resources...

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:18:40 

In reply to WestDem

Earlier you guys ranting about ESPN, now thats solved, you shifting goal posts

Look, the teams are already traveling 6 venues

And that too -> 2 at a time. And waiting end on for next game

Look at the Red Steel guys and Warriors

2 games and the competition has been on since june 20th
Thats 2 games in 13 days, thats not cost for you????

In my format, in 13 days they (and all) would have played 4 games by now

Like i said, EFFICIENCY

--

And you talking crap of 3 days stay for 120 people

Sir, arent people staying in hotels even now, waiting for the next game?

Or is WICB keeping visiting teams in them homes?

Courtesy 2015-07-03 14:20:38 

In reply to thefacts

...Like i said, EFFICIENCY

How de fack you can mention efficiency without a cost consideration.

You is a facking madman.

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:21:38 

In reply to Courtesy

You mofo, fack offf

WestDem 2015-07-03 14:23:03 

In reply to thefacts

ESPN costs is still out there and its real...since this whole idea is about changing the format from 4 to 10 venues...I want to start over this debate...piece by piece...We are starting at the Franchises costs of four versus ten...any business savvy individual can plug in some numbers in what I post and start mekking comparisons...aite...hole tite we getting back to ESPN once we tek care of this part... cool

Efficiency is just anodda word until you prove how your idea is efficient.

Courtesy 2015-07-03 14:23:15 

In reply to thefacts

You mofo, fack offf

From you it's a compliment.

WestDem 2015-07-03 14:24:48 

In reply to thefacts

Why you losing yuh kool fuh? Courtesy is right....show me de comparable costs now versus then...yuh can use yuh bess guesstimate...we are adult enough to know if yuh inflating them....start!

Courtesy 2015-07-03 14:24:50 

In reply to WestDem

Amended slightly.

Efficiency is just anodda word until you prove how your idea is cost effective.

Courtesy 2015-07-03 14:26:03 

In reply to WestDem

I'll stay outa dis. You have more tolerance for a jackass.

lol lol lol

WestDem 2015-07-03 14:27:27 

In reply to Courtesy

Dat too... thanks...ah hope de facts nah tell me but me mofo now!! lol lol

Courtesy 2015-07-03 14:28:31 

In reply to WestDem

If he tells you this (mofo) that would be mild as compared to what he told VOR.

big grin

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:34:39 

In reply to WestDem

since this whole idea is about changing the format from 4 to 10 venues.

4 venues??

Which 2 out of Barbados, St.Lucia, St.Kitts, jamaica, Trinidad and Guyana, you leaving out?

Just proves what a waste of time you are

openning 2015-07-03 14:36:45 

In reply to Cowcorner

Come on openning. As much as I agree that to have a full discussion one would need to see the numbers. In my view it is difficult for the avg person in the Rum Shop to run these numbers as we are not sure of most of the cost.

Maybe the most you can do is look a the delta. With the absolute cost values having no real value.

But this is the Rum shop.

I am sober, so I want to see more detail.
You are not going to sell me a Lemon.
lol lol

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:37:58 

In reply to Courtesy

it's a compliment.

I have no doubt it MUST BE!!!
big grin big grin big grin

WestDem 2015-07-03 14:39:11 

In reply to thefacts

Ok...yuh right tek dat round...lets start with some numbers...below is a conservative approach to start getting numbers involve...yuh think the below numbers can be real? I think its too conservative but we have to start somewhere...

Players Squad Cost Days Totals
Hotel 120 $175 3 $63,000
Food 120 $100 3 $36,000
Umpires
Hotel 8 $175 3 $4,200
Food 8 $100 3 $2,400
$105,600
Venues 10
Total $1,056,000

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:40:42 

In reply to imusic

In reply to thefacts

By the way...kudos to you on your initiative.

Respeck

Thanks Man, appreciate the kind words

thefacts 2015-07-03 14:43:36 

In reply to WestDem

first post the current numbers

Starting june 20th
ending july 21st

30 games, 6 venues, total cost of 32 days

Then lets talk

WestDem 2015-07-03 15:31:08 

In reply to thefacts

That is your job...yuh want to change the current format suh the burden is on you to bring and show us what are the current numbers.

thefacts 2015-07-04 01:11:53 

In reply to WestDem

First its your Job to prove that the current format is cost effective.

Once the Baseline is set of the current format, only then Efficiency parameters can be set and improved, by another format.

You just want to sit on judgement, without any knowledge.

Sorry, not wasting my time with you

positiveg 2015-07-04 09:34:30 

In reply to thefacts

As far as I know I think the crews works for IMG but the broadcast belongs to ESPN.
So production on the ground itself is IMG. I remember some tf these guys when the have WI series here,
It takes them about a day to pack and ship then a day to set up
Logistics will be really really important. Ad remember is either LIAT or use Cargo hey.
Not like in the US where they travel in truck fleets of like 10 and you have most major cities already having crews that can just act as operators.
I think that's one of the biggest drawback to your alternative view. Nonetheless, the format is pretty good.
But I like another poster said like the home and away, and I think that's what a lot of other fans liek to. Fact that you might beat me home by you and I can beat you in the replay in my house.

Star 2015-07-04 10:05:02 

In reply to thefacts

all 6 teams should travel TOGETHER to each venue for 2 days,

Have you considered the risk factor here?

What do you mean by travel together?

Courtesy 2015-07-04 10:49:45 

In reply to thefacts

First its your Job to prove that the current format is cost effective.

Once the Baseline is set of the current format, only then Efficiency parameters can be set and improved, by another format.

You just want to sit on judgement, without any knowledge.

Sorry, not wasting my time with you

HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!HA!

Dais all.

POINT 2015-07-04 11:34:58 

In reply to thefacts

I congratulate you on your idea , the only question that looms is its feasibility .

I would have no problem with this plan if the Regional Governments partially subsidize some of the cost . My only stipulations would be :

1. The WICB doesn't get a blasted
Penny .

2. There must be Public Accounting
especially since Taxpayers money
is involved .

You must ignore the Yahoos , that are on your Post . I would also have no problem if other Corporate Entities get involved .

I will always be in favour of trying anything that is feasible to raise the Standard of Cricket in the Region , because it is only by raising the standard in the Region , can our Players in every version of the game be fully competitive in the International Cricket Arena .

thefacts 2015-07-04 13:01:28 

In reply to POINT

Thanks man

Always a pleasure reading your inputs.

Appreciate your reply. Cheers

powen001 2015-07-04 13:09:01 

In reply to thefacts

smile big grin

I dont need to say anything more on this...you know I appreciate the effort you put into this.

I sincerely hope it gets traction,..

Where costs are concerned by all means...use the sponsors to solve that is paramount and let the marketers push that..the CPL is good for Cricket and of course the Caribbean.

get your ideas out there mate..where ever I can I will assist with contacts..straight up.

The part out of our hands is people WILLING to listen...either way...your thoughts would be out there...something has to stick!

Good Luck lol big grin cool

Star 2015-07-05 21:30:28 

In reply to POINT

I congratulate you on your idea

Come on POINT, you are way better than that.

It is a bad business idea. Your entire investment is dependent on the 6 teams you are going to put at risk by having them all travel together.

Do you have replacement personnel in case --------- (fill in the blanks).

openning 2015-07-05 22:45:21 

In reply to powen001

It is all talk, which anyone can do.
You should have some kind of business plan, if you want to make changes to the schedule.
How would present his idea to anyone, without attaching a financial plan to it

black 2015-07-05 23:16:23 

In reply to thefacts

Logistics my friend!!!

No room for errors from a region that is error prone

thefacts 2015-07-06 00:21:23 

In reply to Star

Your entire investment is dependent on the 6 teams you are going to put at risk by having them all travel together.

JESUS…..Together, doesn't mean the same FLIGHT!

Do all Formula ONE Grand Prix Teams take same flights?

i am appalled at some of the conclusions drawn by folks here.

Together just meant, that all go from one location to another, without being based in two separate places for matches.

Star 2015-07-06 09:11:00 

In reply to thefacts

all 6 teams should travel TOGETHER to each venue for 2 days,

You wrote the above, not me.

That is why I replied with the following
What do you mean by travel together?

You did not respond so any average thinking individual would come to the obvious conclusion, you meant what you wrote.

Don't come back with the "BS" out below.
JESUS…..Together, doesn't mean the same FLIGHT
!

thefacts 2015-07-06 09:22:36 

In reply to Star

Man, seriously.

Relax.. that detail is not that important… for us to be arguing over.

and seriously, its a discussion forum, Not our Paying Jobs. (at least not mine)

That we have to be competitive over everything…

so, cheers big grin

Star 2015-07-06 09:35:25 

In reply to thefacts
Don't get me wrong, I like your proposal. it is a step in the right direction.

Just the part about all 6 teams traveling together created too much of a risk in my mind.

thefacts 2015-07-06 09:36:36 

In reply to Star

No Worries Bro, I see your point too… its a very valid concern.
(i too would never think of putting all on the same flight)… so yeah, totally agree

cheers

Pacy 2015-07-06 12:44:14 

In reply to thefacts

I think the format would be much smoother if the venues are reduced. Given that now that the game has moved into a franchise model where there are players from multiple regions crowd support might not be a big issue.

6 Teams

1 Round in say Guyana

2 Round in Bim

Qualifiers and finals in Windwards

In the second year it would be in T&T, Jamaica and LI. This could make things much better.