The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Gibson the best bowling coach

rumhead24 2015-07-29 17:36:49 

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/904457.html

rumhead24 2015-07-29 17:39:04 

James Anderson says after not getting any wicket at Lords went in the nets for 3 days with Gibson and it pays off with 6 for 47 ant Edgbaston

Drapsey 2015-07-29 18:28:20 

In reply to rumhead24

Gibson the best bowling coach

Excepting when dem playing at Lords.

Maybe that downhill renders him ineffective.

FuzzyWuzzy 2015-07-29 18:33:16 

In reply to Drapsey

...except when he is coaching West Indies wink

rumhead24 2015-07-29 18:59:59 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

because he is trying to be what he is not.

he is a bowling coach not a head coach

hawk 2015-07-29 20:11:43 

In reply to rumhead24

i don't accept that, what can't he tell/show bowlers as a bowling coach that he can't do as a head coach....Could it be that the guys just were not listening to him?, or against him so much he couldn't get through to them?

think on that

openning 2015-07-29 20:14:38 

In reply to rumhead24

He is only a bowling, because he is coaching England, he would had been an ugly, mediocre bajan, if he was the coach of the West Indies team.

Scar 2015-07-29 21:45:41 

Under rainy windy conditions at home them know how to exploit. Years ago they did the same to Windies on a cloudy afternoon after WI had a good start earlier in bright sunlight. Anderson knows how to exploit great bowling conditions;when it aint breezy and it hot he is lost at sea

big grin big grin

Scar 2015-07-29 21:45:43 

Under rainy windy conditions at home them know how to exploit. Years ago they did the same to Windies on a cloudy afternoon after WI had a good start earlier in bright sunlight. Anderson knows how to exploit great bowling conditions;when it aint breezy and it hot he is lost at sea

big grin big grin

JahJah 2015-07-30 04:11:45 

In reply to Scar

when it aint breezy and it hot he is lost at sea

Otis too it would seem. cool

seaegg99 2015-07-30 11:32:56 

Marshall quit because of the same lack of ability to follow directions. Guys know it all or just cannot focus on a task for too long. That goes for batting as well. Shiv over the yeaes showed that

Kay 2015-07-30 12:39:42 

In reply to seaegg99

Marshall quit because of the same lack of ability to follow directions. Guys know it all or just cannot focus on a task for too long. That goes for batting as well. Shiv over the yeaes showed that

I think your choice of example stinks. Over the years when did Shiv showed the lack of ability to follow directions, focus for too long or claim to know it all? sad

openning 2015-07-30 13:02:12 

In reply to Kay

Did Shiv.not complained about people sending messages telling him out to bat, during an ODI?
Poster criticized Otis then, calling all kinds of names, not understanding Shiv was putting too much pressure on the other batsman.

seaegg99 2015-07-30 14:14:52 

In reply to Kay

I was talking about Shiv's focus on his job and the lack of others around him to do the same. Guys attention span is very short. Guys get in and just give it away like nothing. Bowlers bowl 3 or four good balls then all of a sudden want to experiment instead of staying focused on task. This have been our downfall for many a year now.

silver 2015-07-30 14:53:35 

In reply to seaegg99

you need good coaching at youth level and HPC or else it will be difficult to change these players once they get into bad habits. Shannon Gabriel just started landing the ball on the seam last year and he still has not mastered it

openning 2015-07-30 15:03:59 

In reply to silver

To add to your comment, the clubs are no longer developing players.

Cameron 2015-07-30 15:19:43 

Anderson can benefit from Gibson because he already has the basics, both in technique and attitude to learning. Test cricket is not the place to learn the basics. That is learned in Elementary school, high school, and club level. Our problem in the West Indies is that when we pick players for FC and test, all they have to show is talent, and often the false belief that they have arrived. In the high pressure of international competition, that is not enough for even a competent coach to build on.

camos 2015-07-30 15:55:27 

In reply to rumhead24

how many days he spent with Finn?

hawk 2015-07-30 19:49:36 

In reply to openning

To add to your comment, the clubs are no longer developing players.

this is a sad reality and something I have said in the past, FC Cricket should be a finishing ground for test players, to get them ready for the rigours of international cricket, club cricket is where a player should hone skills and we stopped deleoping test players at the club level a long time ago, this is largely due to the fact that in Barbados where I live our club structure has not grown over the years, no innovation, nothing has changed significantly, we still play threes and fours at Bank Hall

Our club cricket need revamping and overhauling to develop players for the modern game

openning 2015-07-30 20:28:53 

In reply to hawk

It hit me right in the face, a number of years ago, when I saw Roland Holder wicketkeeping in a 1st Division match.What was so sad about seeing that, was knowledgeable Bank Hall fans, was cheering him on.
The BCA think having clubs in the Elite and 1st Division would increase good cricket, not looking at the pool size of players.
Have a look at Carlton, that club lose a number of players to Yorkshire, and both clubs now should be playing Intermediate cricket.
I'always understood, the club structure and the BCA, are responsible for the development of Barbados youngsters.
I would like someone to work with Warrican, he is one dimensional.

Cheeks 2015-07-30 22:08:36 

In reply to camos

how many days he spent with Finn?

Continue sacrificing good sense on the altar of hero worship and insularity.

I suppose Anderson lying just to make Otis look good???

methodic 2015-07-30 23:36:03 

In reply to rumhead24

well I guess Imusic was right when we were speculating on why England recalled him against the West Indies. They will want to have the best in place for the Ashes

hawk 2015-07-31 06:54:22 

In reply to openning

It amazes me that the forward thinking is not there to remedy the situation, I hardly follow much club cricket these days, save for Kraigg Brathwaite, and i know this lack of interest is not with me alone, as for warrican i concur as i not even convinced he is one for the future

rumhead24 2015-07-31 09:30:51 

In reply to methodic

you already know that England and Australia play against west Indies just to warm up for the Ashes

Walco 2015-08-01 05:39:24 

Michael Muirhead, the WICB chief executive, said: "Ottis has added significant value to the development of the West Indies team during his tenure ..."

"Most notably is that he led the implementation of a system of professionalism within the team unit ..."

No system of professionalism before Gibson??? No wonder there were so many clashes with senior players.

The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) announced that a global search has been launched to find a new head coach for the West Indies cricket team.

The position became vacant following the resignation of Ottis Gibson in August with more than a year remaining on his contract.

West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson has announced his resignation on the eve of the ODI series against Bangladesh.

The West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) confirmed that they and Gibson had “mutually agreed to terminate their association”, ending days of speculation about his future after he was not present during the team’s training session in Grenada on Monday.

Ottis Gibson says he was fired as the West Indies head coach despite a statement from the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) suggesting otherwise.

Gibson's declaration on Wednesday, three months after ending ties with the WICB, contradicts a statement from the board which said the two had mutually agreed to end their association, reports CMC.

Gibson and WICB severed ties in August on the eve of a series against Bangladesh involving two-Test matches and One Day Internationals (ODI).

He has been quoted in the regional media as saying he was shocked when WICB president Dave Cameron fired him during a telephone conversation.

He says Cameron told him that players had lost confidence in him.

rumhead24 2015-08-01 09:37:15 

In reply to Walco

I can see that he is comfortable where he is

seaegg99 2015-08-01 10:43:33 

In reply to hawk

People who want to improve listen and don't act like they know it all

TheTrail 2015-08-01 11:46:22 

Bowlers win matches; If you have a good bowling team that carries out the coaches’ instructions on the field of play, the team has a 95% chance of winning test matches and in the process, the series.
Good knowledgeable bowlers will carry out the coach’s request. It is the few (not all) uncouth bowlers in the WI who think they know everything and will listen to nothing coming from coaches.

Walco 2015-08-01 13:15:16 

In reply to rumhead24

I would be too if the WICB was paying me over US$1 million to cock up my two foot and do nothing.

rumhead24 2015-08-03 10:41:10 

In reply to Walco

you know that is not going to happen

natty_forever 2015-08-03 12:44:12 

In reply to Walco

Good knowledgeable bowlers will carry out the coach’s request.
... seems Otis' one short coming is identifying these. Our mistake was not identifying 'good knowledgeable bowlers" then handing them to Otis to improve. So Otis needed the help of the selectors.