The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Only WI to blame- Findlay

CaribbeanCricket.com 2015-07-31 07:03:48 

Former West Indies selector Michael Findlay says the Caribbean team has only themselves to blame if they do not qualify for the ICC 2017 Champions Trophy.

The top eight ranked International Cricket Council (ICC) teams qualify for the ODI competition in two year’s time. But with the tri-nations tournament between Zimbabwe, West Indies and Pakistan now officially off, the West Indies are now ranked ninth and outside the qualification criteria and will have no other opportunity to improve their ranking before the September 30 cut-off date.

“Like most West Indians, I am disappointed that the West Indies won’t be going to that tournament. But we have only ourselves to blame because we haven’t been playing good cricket,” Findlay told the Express.

Findlay said that the West Indies being in ninth position in the ICC rankings emphasises the poor state of WI cricket.

Full Story

POINT 2015-07-31 18:44:37 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

The questions then , as I have often stated are the following :

1. How did WE get to where WE are ???

2. What must be done to get our
Players fully Competitive in the
International Cricket Arena ???

3. When are the necessary measures
going to be implemented ???

Now if within a certain period none
of the above is publicly addressed , then WE will have to conclude that
those in the governance of Cricket
are not serious about Cricket in the Region .

thefacts 2015-08-01 02:57:31 

In reply to POINT

There is only one REAL Solution = GO IT ALONE in ODI's and T20s.

and continue playing Test Cricket as West Indies.

Chrissy 2015-08-01 10:21:45 

Who reelected Cameron again?

Hug up all the crap.

Courtesy 2015-08-01 10:33:09 

In reply to Chrissy

Who reelected Cameron again?...

I think the better question should be: who was dumped in favour of Cameron with your nudging and jump and wave...don't you think so?

The saying: "be careful what you wish for" is applicable here.

Chrissy 2015-08-01 10:46:25 

In reply to Courtesy
The fundamental difference with the two of us is that I never defend homies. The WICB has been incompetent, undemocratic and has lacked transparency and accountability for decades. I don't give a rat's a$$ on whether any given board is 'wusserer' or 'wusserest'. As custodians of our cricket they suck. Get over yuhself rolleyes rolleyes

Courtesy 2015-08-01 11:04:10 

In reply to Chrissy

The fundamental difference with the two of us is that I never defend homies. The WICB has been incompetent, undemocratic and has lacked transparency and accountability for decades. I don't give a rat's a$$ on whether any given board is 'wusserer' or 'wusserest'. As custodians of our cricket they suck. Get over yuhself

Lame. I'll come back to this post.

POINT 2015-08-01 11:35:22 

In reply to thefacts

I seriously doubt that ANY Country in the Region can do that from a perspective of Revenue , TV Rights etc
But , as I stated on this topic elsewhere in this Forum , Go Ahead .

It stands to reason that if the Standard of Cricket in the Region
overall is PISS POOR ; a fact certified by the recent Tours by England & Australia ; it is in my opinion foolhardy , to expect that
Individually , Countries in the Region individually , will be successful .

I seriously do not think that the International Cricket Cabal would sanction such a move , it will no doubt state that those who want to go that route , will be placed in Tier 2.

Courtesy 2015-08-01 11:37:08 

In reply to Chrissy

De Courtesy saw the hypocrisy in you a very long time ago.

Courtesy 4/12/12 4:09:30 PM
In reply to Chrissy

For the record, your longwinded diatribe bespeaks the daily tedium of bull you spew daily on this MB and your incapacity to think rationally. You belittle yourself by making these petty political points which bear no relevance to the advancement of West Indies cricket and you routinely invoke the "mental midget" phrase which I rather suspect is an apt reflection of your own demeanour.

I will not dignify the other garbage you have posted with a response except to say that I can see you seem unfamiliar with the concept of honesty.

How else can I explain that the very problems that you have highlighted in your post have plagued our cricket for the last fifteen years yet you continue to land blame on a select few whom you hate. Such sentiments are ineffably crass and are antithetical to the cause of West Indies Cricket...

What I defend is based purely from a professional mgt perspective. H&H clearly had a good grasped of the problems which afflicted West Indies cricket and devised a realistic strategic plan with the assistance of professionals to map the way forward.

I read and reread the strat plan and bought into it. Most persons here bashed H&H not because of a lack of a strategic direction and purposeful mgt but because of blatant insularity and dottie hating.

I ask you directly. Haven't H&H done anything worthy of mention for West Indies cricket...have you ever credited or said anything in favour of H&H. Why not?
Chrissy 7/19/11 1:32:29 PM

In reply to Misologist

Good - Hilaire will soon be history

Chrissy 5/5/12 10:56:17 AM

In reply to jacksprat

Leff dem bro - blasted incompetents.

………………………….

Chrissy 3/29/12 9:52:02 AM

In reply to Cuter

Tell di earnest one to resign and ress his mouth. He is history.

………………………..

Chrissy11/16/13 8:40:39 PM

OVER - di inversion of reality has been reversed.

Dat is all.

Di inversion of reality has been reversed...hmmmm! strong words Chrissy, strong words.

The inversion of reality has been reversed by WHOM CHRISSY, DAVE CAMERON AND MUIRHEAD?...Is that so?

Now let us see your comments for in your words the 'wusserest' custodians of our cricket.

Now contrast this with your treatment of Dave Cameron. Despite you admitting here that Dave is responsible for the 42 million USD Indian tour fiasco have you called for his resignation even though the alleged sins of H&H were venial in comparison to Dave Cameron.

And didn't it occur to you that Dave Cameron was the Vice President to Julian? Further, whilst you bent over and exposed your knickers for the removal of Drs Hunte & Hilaire did you advocate for the non appointment of Dave Cameron.

Should I wait longer to hear your strident calls for the removal of Dave Cameron?

I will pause here for a while....

I will post Dr. Hilaire achievements as well as the achievements of the Softhead. I expect a comment from you when you have made a comparative analysis of the two eras.

Kurt 2015-08-01 11:49:48 

Anyone who was familiar with the Lucky report, both with what went into it and what was too incendary to include, would have KNOWN that Cameron would have been a disaster.

I was against cameron's appointment.

I think Hinds caught people by surprise, but I was not one of them.

Courtesy 2015-08-01 11:50:34 

Now let us take a look at the achievements of the WICB since the new leadership:

1. Change the ODI captain just before ICC ODI tournament… West Indies does not make semis.

2. Remove CC from regional cricket landscape.

3. HPC?... closed?....

4. Adds a new tour of the West Indies to India and upsetting the development programme as up to then, the team had won 6 in a row...instead of having a cricket camp he sends the team to Florida to do mental strengthening...they lose 3-0.

5. Sacks a coach ahead of a tour and up to now the team has no coach...and we do not no when a new coach will be appointed.

6. The embarrassment of not qualifying for the next ICC Champions Trophy.

Courtesy 2015-08-01 11:54:43 

Courtesy1/20/15 9:56:12 AM
... of the WICB.

De Courtesy did promise a poster a list of some of Dr. Ernest Hilaire's accomplishments as CEO of the WICB:

So, as promised, especially for this poster...you know who you are,...at your service: ENJOY.

You may wish to have Henry Mancini's music in the background while you have a good read of His Excellency's achievements.

* Brought the world's renowned consultancy sports business group (Deloitte Touche) to review all reports including the Patterson Report and assist in preparing a Strategic Plan to renew West Indies cricket;

* Strategic Plan was adopted with clear performance standards and objectives set;

* Established High Performance Center (which is now closed);

* Adoption of Medical and Fitness Manual to guide processes related to medical treatment and fitness levels needed for players;

* Adoption of policy that every tour must be preceded by a Training and Fitness Camp (changed with new regime);

* Formulation of Selection Policy to guide how players are chosen, emphasis placed on creating a new ethos and attitude when representing WI;

* Restructured the Secretariat of West Indies Cricket Board commencing a process of professionalising the operations of the Board;

* Launched Digicel Grassroot Programme throughout the region (which has been stopped);

* Launched the Club Assistance Programme to provide grants to clubs throughout the region to improve infrastructure or established development programmes (has been stopped);

* Led the re-negotiation team during the Digicel sponsorship talks;

* Led negotiation for Media Rights for over US$120m which included the broadcaster to produce the feed saving millions of dollars for WICB;

* Conceptualised and led negotiations for a commercial T20 league in the West Indies;

* Represented West Indies at ICC for the establishment of a fund to finance development in lower performing test teams. West Indies was first to get approval for an ICC Development Programme which include appointment of a High Performance Director in keeping with the strategic plan. It has not been implemented.

* Women's team became in the top three in the world in ODI and T20;

* Under-19 team placed 3rd in 2010 ICC Youth World Cup;

* Men's team won ICC WT20 in 2012;

* Men team improved in test and ODI;

* Men team won six test matches consecutively (the FTP matches were arranged to give the team to play with comparable team and to build a culture of success. This was broken with an unscheduled tour of India where the team was beaten 2-0);

* Worked with Charles Wilkins Q.C. to design a new model for Governance since the Board of Directors has rejected the Patterson Model. The Wilkins Model was also rejected by the Board.

* Spearheaded the fight for the revamping of the old MOU which WIPA had interpreted 'could have existed into perpetuity.'

After the MOU victory in the courts, Dr. Ernest Hilaire then left for London to become His Excellency.

Fivestar 2015-08-01 12:04:34 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Don't worry folks after the WICB is finished with its town hall meetings a master plan will be unveiled as to how to get us in the Champions Trophy for 2017.

spider 2015-08-01 13:32:26 

In reply to Courtesy

I know you think they've been bad overall but has the cameron Administration done anything of value to WI cricket?

Courtesy 2015-08-01 13:34:48 

In reply to spider

I know you think they've been bad overall but has the cameron Administration done anything of value to WI cricket?

Yes... certainly. I agree with their policy of non-selection of cricketers who give T20 tournaments priority.

But so did H&H.

I also agree with their policy to give contracts to non-test players but not in the clandestine manner in which it was achieved.

I have already made these views public here.

TheTrail 2015-08-01 13:53:25 

In reply to Courtesy

My Granny used to say...

"A liar should always remember his last words - one day it will come back to bite him/her." lol lol

Courtesy 2015-08-01 13:56:14 

In reply to TheTrail

"A liar should always remember his last words - one day it will come back to bite him/her."

Absolutely.

lol lol lol

spider 2015-08-01 14:14:14 

In reply to Courtesy

I notice you said it was the clandestine manner in which they did it was the problem you had. Could they have financed it otherwise?

Courtesy 2015-08-01 14:17:29 

In reply to spider

I notice you said it was the clandestine manner in which they did it was the problem you had. Could they have financed it otherwise?

What does clandestine have to do with ability or non-ability to finance these contracts for non-test players?

POINT 2015-08-01 15:08:43 

In reply to Kurt

I was not surprised about Hinds either , Hinds is all about Hinds , nothing else matters to him . In that respect
he has chosen to be among people who think like him .

When I was living in the Region listening to a Program on Cricket one night from Bim , there was an African
Cricket enthusiast guest one night , and he commented on a match in which he concluded , that Hinds deliberately ran out Marlon . The impression I got from him was that in
his opinion Hinds ran out Maron , and he formed the opinion that it was deliberately done .

No One on the panel voiced any disagreement with this African's assertion . The fact is that as the
President of WIPA , Hinds not only doublecrossed his Members , He joined
Cameron , in engineering a Coup that
resulted in WIPA becoming a Branch of WIPA .

It would be remiss of me if I did not mention the fact that for their Coup ,both Cameron & Hinds were handsomely
reelected to their Posts .

openning 2015-08-01 15:36:00 

Hinds was a member of WIPA execs for a number of years.
He was first elected president, by WIPA membership, the same membership that re-elected him.

POINT 2015-08-01 15:58:21 

In reply to Fivestar

I do not think that there are going to be anymore Town Hall Meetings , because the rise of Bangladesh will have to be explained .

Worse yet , the fact that our Team is
has regressed is certainly going to come up in Town Hall Meetings . I do not think that Cameron & Hinds can
offer a credible explanation .

POINT 2015-08-01 16:11:29 

In reply to openning

With all due respect what does what you have stated regarding Hinds has to do with what he & Cameron did .

The fact is that he not only double crossed the Members of WIPA , HE joined Cameron in engineering a Coup
that made WIPA a branch of the WICB .

As I have stated elsewhere , for their success , both Cameron & Hinds
were reelected ; and toasted at a Dinner in Jamaica ostensibly for some former great Players ; but in actuality .to give legitimacy to
the Coup that they engineered .

openning 2015-08-01 16:17:10 

In reply to POINT

I am aware you don't want The Invisible Man or Devon to make a living, but carry on about Hinds.
Ninety guys and a number of women, can now work on their game.

spider 2015-08-01 16:19:38 

In reply to Courtesy

It has nothing. Maybe I asked the question badly. Forget clandestine. I'm asking if there were other ways of financing the contracts for first-class players?

Courtesy 2015-08-01 16:26:39 

In reply to spider

Perhaps they can pay the current CEO based on his performance.

The monies saved would supplement a smaller amount taken from the international players and a more equitable situation will be created.

I am sure you can think of other cost saving measures which would decrease further the amount deducted from the international players.

If the current CEO can only propose a Robin Hood budget to finance the new initiative then he is not worth his salary.

openning 2015-08-01 16:27:54 

In reply to spider

Regional cricket would need a sponsorship deal, in order to pay the first class players.

spider 2015-08-01 17:24:05 

In reply to Courtesy

I know they wanted to implement the franchise system as well so how did the previous administration plan to raise the additional funds?Was reducing CEO salary a part of it?

POINT 2015-08-01 18:13:17 

I recall that once all the Regional Tournaments has Sponsors . The stopped being Sponsors , Why ?? WE have no idea , the WICB did not state why they left , and they did not state why the left .

Now if I was a Sports Journalists in the Region , I would have tried to find out why they decided not to be Sponsors , and then go to the WICB and hear its version of what happened .

Then go on Radio or write what both parties had to say People could decided for themselves who is
Right and who is Wrong , That is what Real Sports Journalists do .

Courtesy 2015-08-01 19:28:25 

In reply to spider

I know they wanted to implement the franchise system as well so how did the previous administration plan to raise the additional funds?Was reducing CEO salary a part of it?

If the former CEO had his two feet cock up and doing and producing nothing (Walco) why not?

The way to go is performance related pay. The current CEO would be long gone.

The WICB is not running a social welfare department.

POINT 2015-08-01 20:05:25 

In reply to openning

For the umpteenth time ALL the Regional Tournaments once had Sponsors
They left , NO ONE , sought to explain why they left , neither to my knowledge did the so called Sports Journalists in the Region seek to find out why they left .

Kurt 2015-08-01 20:24:11 

In reply to Courtesy

Yes... certainly. I agree with their policy of non-selection of cricketers who give T20 tournaments priority.

But so did H&H.

I also agree with their policy to give contracts to non-test players but not in the clandestine manner in which it was achieved.

In the early days of 20/20, NZ were hit hard with Shane Bond running off to the ICL, Fleming retiring to the IPL and Vettori oscillating between his NZ commitments and the IPL.

Now they've found a way to make it work, even though their skipper is one of 20/20s marque names. Only the WICB don't seem to be able to find a compromise where the players can play the biggest 20/20 leagues and still turn out for their country.

My opinion re the retainer contracts for a wide pool of players pretty much concurs with what was written here. The funny thing is when the WICB first flogged of the CPL rights, they said it would be used to fund retainer contracts for a wide pool of players. What happened to those promises?

Fivestar 2015-08-01 20:43:10 

In reply to POINT

You're forgetting one thing, these people have no shame.

QUESTION: Mr President could you please explain why the West Indies team won't be playing in the Presidents Trophy in 2017?

ANSWER: It's simple, Pakistan knew the West Indies would beat them in Zimbabwe and knock them out of the Presidents Trophy so they refused to go to Zimbabwe. They used the flimsy excuse they were concerned about security. The only thing Pakistan was concerned about was the beating they would have received at the hands of the West Indies. Blame it all on Pakistan they robbed West Indies the opportunity of winning the 2017 Presidents Trophy.

openning 2015-08-01 21:19:52 

In reply to POINT

For the umpteenth time ALL the Regional Tournaments once had Sponsors
They left , NO ONE , sought to explain why they left , neither to my knowledge did the so called Sports Journalists in the Region seek to find out why they left

Contracts have a life, businesses like Digi prefer to sponsor the International team, than put money into the regional tournament
Most local sponsors like Red Stripe and Carib wanted all games to be played locally.

POINT 2015-08-01 23:30:29 

In reply to openning

They had Sponsors after Carib & Red Stripe , I believe that one was a Trinidad Cement Co .

The fact is as I stated , the Sponsors left , abruptly without any explanation .The WICB never stated why they left .

It is very interesting , that
Business Houses in the Region seem reluctant to become Sponsors ; If that is true , it is a telling indictment of the WICB in this regard .

This is just another thing that those in the Sports Media refuse to address this and other Issues . So on one hand:

THE WICB IS ALLOWED TO BE A ROGUE

CRICKET BOARD ; BY THE ICC ; AND THE

SPORTS MEDIA IN THE REGION , WITH FEW

EXCEPTIONS REFUSE TO BE CRITICAL OF

THOSE IN THE GOVERNANCE OF CRICKET

IN THE REGION .

openning 2015-08-02 00:31:28 

Carib Beer was the last sponsor of the 4-day tournament 2007/2008
Negico is the sponsor of the Super 50
T20 always had sponsors, Hero is the present sponsor

You should bookmark this site, all matches played in the region from 1864/65 - present

TOURNAMENTS IN WEST INDIESl

Maispwi 2015-08-02 00:50:07 

In reply to Kurt

Wat de WI have to do is more dan compromise. It has to give up the best period for playing cricket in de Caribbean to de IPL. Den it would have to forego tours to SA, NZ and Australia to cater to de Big Bash and so on if it is to let de players compete in every major T20 tournament.

Already we are playing series in de heart of de hurricane season. Fortunately there hasn't been any major fall out, but players who want to play every major T20 tournament will be unable to represent the WI at the same time.

Maispwi 2015-08-02 00:53:33 

In reply to openning

Ah doh tink de Caribbean T20 had a sponsor which is why de WICB were so quick to offload it and Digicel eventually acquired it.

POINT 2015-08-02 10:24:58 

So far NO ONE has told me what impediments exists that prevents the
WICB from seeking Financial Sponsors .

Now there is no doubt, at least to me , that its failure to attract Sponsors
is due to the fact that it has seemingly become a Leper , in the Business Community , in the Region
and Abroad .

I seriously think that pulling the Plug on the Tour to India , and facing the possibility of a 42 million dollars suit compounded
by its propensity to be always confrontational with its Players ,
does not endear the WICB to potential
Sponsors .

Hell if YOU have Employees , and you
are perpetually at loggerheads with
them it means that YOU the Employer ,
bear a greater responsibility to ensure that things are run smoothly .

Then all this is compounded by the
Bad Publicity , that is unhelpful ,
It definitely demonstrates the fact ,
as I have stated before in this Forum ,None of the people in the governance
of Cricket in the Region took the time & effort to read :

" HOW TO WIN FRIENDS &

INFLUENCE PEOPLE ".

It is a book written by Dale Carnegie

Cheeks 2015-08-02 11:52:17 

In reply to Courtesy

This should be a sticky in this rass place.

Brought the world's renowned consultancy sports business group (Deloitte Touche) to review all reports including the Patterson Report and assist in preparing a Strategic Plan to renew West Indies cricket;

* Strategic Plan was adopted with clear performance standards and objectives set;

* Established High Performance Center (which is now closed);

* Adoption of Medical and Fitness Manual to guide processes related to medical treatment and fitness levels needed for players;

* Adoption of policy that every tour must be preceded by a Training and Fitness Camp (changed with new regime);

* Formulation of Selection Policy to guide how players are chosen, emphasis placed on creating a new ethos and attitude when representing WI;

* Restructured the Secretariat of West Indies Cricket Board commencing a process of professionalising the operations of the Board;

* Launched Digicel Grassroot Programme throughout the region (which has been stopped);

* Launched the Club Assistance Programme to provide grants to clubs throughout the region to improve infrastructure or established development programmes (has been stopped);

* Led the re-negotiation team during the Digicel sponsorship talks;

* Led negotiation for Media Rights for over US$120m which included the broadcaster to produce the feed saving millions of dollars for WICB;

* Conceptualised and led negotiations for a commercial T20 league in the West Indies;

* Represented West Indies at ICC for the establishment of a fund to finance development in lower performing test teams. West Indies was first to get approval for an ICC Development Programme which include appointment of a High Performance Director in keeping with the strategic plan. It has not been implemented.

* Women's team became in the top three in the world in ODI and T20;

* Under-19 team placed 3rd in 2010 ICC Youth World Cup;

* Men's team won ICC WT20 in 2012;

* Men team improved in test and ODI;

* Men team won six test matches consecutively (the FTP matches were arranged to give the team to play with comparable team and to build a culture of success. This was broken with an unscheduled tour of India where the team was beaten 2-0);

* Worked with Charles Wilkins Q.C. to design a new model for Governance since the Board of Directors has rejected the Patterson Model. The Wilkins Model was also rejected by the Board.

* Spearheaded the fight for the revamping of the old MOU which WIPA had interpreted 'could have existed into perpetuity.'

After the MOU victory in the courts, Dr. Ernest Hilaire then left for London to become His Excellency.

But let me tell you ...the rabble here is NOT interested in Windies implementing any sustainable plan.

All they care bout is a select few players being able to have their cake and eat it.

What these jokers need to realize is that the plan was not pulled from somebdy's derriere to victimize certain players. They were guided / facilitated by International Consultants ...to develop the plan.

The BIG difference with Hillaire is that apart from getting top tier management consultancy..to help ...he had the COJONES to bypass the insularity and horse trading to IMPLEMENT the plan.

What resulted was a crass display of xenophobia, insularity, prejudice, stupidity short sightedness by admins..'fans' and players alike.

In other words...we in dis region...we eh ready yet.

Courtesy 2015-08-02 12:02:10 

In reply to Cheeks

But let me tell you ...the rabble here is NOT interested in Windies implementing any sustainable plan.

All they care bout is a select few players being able to have their cake and eat it.

On target mate...on target.

Professor Dr Sir Hilary encapsulated aptly this in this snippet:
...The cricketing problems stem from a political crisis and unless our leaders are able to get across the message that nationalism cannot be ignored and narrow individual interest must take a back seat for the national good then we will always sink deeper into the quagmire...

Scar 2015-08-02 13:41:04 

Didnt WI have Cable & Wireless for the longest? After the company no longer had Caribbean monopoly they stopped. Sponsors need the TV and, radio coverage to advertise their products, no media coverage why bother? Radio media claim they dont get enough listeners, I guess not as much as the talk shows and religious ones that dominate. But I aint the expert and have never seen or heard of any survey that said such.

POINT 2015-08-03 16:21:27 

I hear you Scar & Cheeks , my impression is that those who have the most power in the governance of Cricket in the Region , the Regional Board Presidents & their Deputies run
the WICB , not the President particularly in the implementation of POLICY .

This is why I submit , the Lucky Report; the Patterson Report & the Wilkin Report never got off the ground . It seems that the Status Quo
in the WICB take a very dim view of
changing the current Structure , they
fear that their power & grip will be diluted .

That is paramount in their Agenda ,
they do not care if Our Team is last or demoted to the 2nd Tier . That is
their main focus . Cricket comes in at a distant 3rd .

It is therefore not surprising that
while Bangladesh & Zimbabwe have made progress :

WE HAVE SERIOUSLY REGRESSED ,

ESPECIALLY IN THE LONGER VERSION

OF THE GAME .

Those in the Sports Media will stay Mum about this fact , while as usual they bash the Players , while saying
nothing about the Colossal Failures
of those in the governance of Cricket in the Region to properly address
the uncompetitiveness of our Players
& Team .