The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

So when is the 'Go it alone'

mikelegend 2015-08-04 01:03:40 

Going to be in effect??? Nothing to lose right now...right??

thefacts 2015-08-04 03:09:22 

In reply to mikelegend

Go IT Alone, in ODI's and T20's.

Absolutely nothing to Lose and All to Gain!

By 2019 World Cup, or 2023, we can have 4-5 teams competing in ODI cricket with the biggest teams.

In T20, IMO, 3 teams - Barbados, TT & Jamaica are ready to compete with the Big Teams RIGHT NOW.

By 2018 or 2020, that number could increase to 5-6 teams from the Caribbean region -> Guyana, St.Lucia, etc

--

A serious thought must be given to this -- i.e. Go IT alone in T20 and ODIs and Play Test Cricket as West Indies.

--
In my view, one way this COULD be done is:

Step.1
Go Alone Immediately in T20s. The Region, The PLayers are Ready to compete in World Cricket.
Say 2016 World Cup, will be the last of West Indies in T20.
After that, each nation plays T20 individually.
This should even suit the ICC agenda of Expanding the Global Game, making the T20 World Cup, a 16-20 Team Event.
Also, T20 Cricket might make it to the Olympics, there is that additional factor.

Step.2
Start playing ODI's with Associate Nations, when West Indies tours are NOT ON.
The 2019 World Cup, can be the Last of West Indies in ODi's.
Again, By 2023, the ICC can have the World Cup as a 16-20 Team Event.

Step.3
Thereby 2019-2020, in a 4-5 year span, the Go It Alone Policy can be Implemented.

archangel 2015-08-04 06:24:50 

In reply to thefacts

I never quite looked at go it alone in that way, that is separate as T20 and ODI and then team up in Tests.
I suppose it is a valid argument since if they played cricket in the Commonwealth Games (199cool or Olympics, it would be as individual countries.
At least your suggestion would make Point a little happy as well as those who believe that this West Indies set up is an idea that has outlived its time.

I say the ICC should look into this.

Halliwell 2015-08-04 07:05:21 

In reply to archangel

You expect an exclusively run TTCB to negotiate with a partly TT run WICB over the same players?

Who does the ICC talk to?
Who pays the fines?

natty_forever 2015-08-04 08:24:00 

In reply to Halliwell... the individual countries when it comes to ODI and T20 and the WICB when TEST ... you caan read and comprehend.

big grin big grin

mikelegend 2015-08-04 11:03:26 

So what's really stopping this...uhm...'natural progression'?

Tryangle 2015-08-04 11:39:13 

Some issues:

Would the ICC grant certain countries ODI or T20I status immediately, or would they make them go through the qualification process like every current Associate?

Would other Full Members willingly support this halfway-split of the WICB? Heck, would the Associates? To them, it may reek of creating a new mid-tier set of countries with more voting power (and funding) than the Associates, and further impede their own growth.

I can't see the other countries within the ICC supporting this. Go all-in, or remain status quo, as the West Indies. Halfway just seems messy all around.

Controversy 2015-08-04 12:15:38 

if they make cricket an olympic sport... wicb doesn't have to give any permission..

TT, Yard, Bdos and Guyana will all try to go for gold and play against the big countries...

archangel 2015-08-04 12:52:59 

South Africa won in the Commonwealth Games and Antigua Barbuda played then.

In reply to Mikelegend, what is stopping this?

I would think the WICB would not want to see this happen. It would seriously cut into their earning margin. Don't expect support from that quarter but as stated by Controversy, there would be nothing stopping countries entering separately in a Commonwealth or Olympic Games scenario.

The bugbear would be how much the ICC would go along with the separation seeing that they are there to protect WICB.

Commie 2015-08-04 13:54:35 

Why would the ICC vote to have to support more entities when it is gravitating to give less and less money to smaller entities.

Good luck with this version of pie in the sky.

JOJO 2015-08-04 14:53:57 

In reply to archangel

seeing that they are there to protect WICB.

Is that what you think it is...that the ICC is protecting the WICB?

You people are just willfully stupid.

archangel 2015-08-04 18:31:06 

In reply to JOJO

The ICC is about preserving the status quo.

Kay 2015-08-04 19:06:37 

Dat is like marrying the lady with 3 pickney but telling she she can only bring dem two lil girls cause you not interested in the big boy. smile

Doan tink it works that way. It's all or nothing.....

thefacts 2015-08-05 03:46:38 

In reply to archangel

I say the ICC should look into this.

Just sell it to the BCCI. big grin

ICC will adopt it, in no time.

(The trick, in my guess, would be, to show the BCCI, the value of TT, Jamaica, Barbados to T20 cricket, as 3 separate teams immediately)

thefacts 2015-08-05 03:48:50 

In reply to archangel

The ICC is about preserving the status quo.

ICC is only about the BCCI. The BCCI is only about Money!

Hence, ICC is only about The Money!

Scar 2015-08-05 10:08:49 

In reply to thefactsWhich team has barely more than one world class batsman that can stand up to an OZ, RSA, NZ bowling attack? If the CPL showed anything, it was how fickle batting line ups are even in T20, WI best format these days.

thefacts 2015-08-05 21:52:12 

In reply to Scar

How many World class batsmen did Bangladesh & Zimbabwe have when they started out?

Frankly, its just a Question of Faith and Desire