The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

SAD NEWS

Dukes 2015-08-04 09:33:05 

It is with deep sadness that I just learnt of the death of Ron Legall famed Guyanese cricket statistician and member of the famous cricketing Legall family.The Legall family has been closely linked to my family for more than 100 years and they are people of ability,integrity and class.I last saw Ron at the funeral of his mother Dorothy in New York a few years ago.Dorothy was 102 years on her death and I remember her telling me that she brought a rose to my mother's home when my mother was born (My mother is now 94).
Ron was a genuinely nice guy who worked as an Insurance agent for years in addition to being the top cricket scorer in Guyana for decades.His late brother Pat was an outstanding fast bowler for Guyana and later Manager of the most successful Regional Under 19 cricket team winning 6 consecutive regional Championships due to first Shivnarine Chanderpaul and later Ronnie Sarwan.
On behalf of my family I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the Legall family and invite CC.Com readers to do the same.

laconic-1 2015-08-04 09:47:46 

In reply to Dukes

Worked alongside him on many assignments. Great guy and the consummate professional. RIP Ron.

tops 2015-08-04 09:55:19 

In reply to Dukes
Absolutely!
Deepest sympathies to the Legall family.
I recall when listening to cricket on the radio, how quickly he use to come up with the stats for batsmen reaching a landmark...He used to give how many 4's, 6's, balls faced, and even scoring strokes...and that was without computer.
Top cricket scorer he was indeed!
Rest in peace Ron sad sad

doosra 2015-08-04 09:56:10 

sad news.

RIP

cricketmygame 2015-08-04 09:59:16 

In reply to laconic-1

Is which hole you crawl out pun smile

sad news. I have to contact sarge.

laconic-1 2015-08-04 10:03:04 

In reply to cricketmygame

I'm around. This is one of my cameos smile

imusic 2015-08-04 12:59:29 

In reply to Dukes

condolences

WestDem 2015-08-04 13:50:02 

In reply to Dukes

Sad News indeed...RIP Ron!

I remember we use to have a trivia and he was de answer to that trivia...best scorer ever!

Linc 2015-08-04 14:25:31 

With sincerity, I send this condolence to the Legall family on the passing of Mr. Ron Legall.
As, I forward my appreciation for the life work of Mr. Ron Legall in the field of cricket in Guyana. I’m reminded of a lesson taught to me many years ago. In a political class, the Kennedy brothers were the topic. I drew the short straw.
My seven sentence opinion in one paragraph had to be on Senator Edward Kennedy. I shook my head and asked aloud why me? The respond was laughter and papers thrown my way.
Robert Kennedy was my favourite Kennedy, His work in the senate was so-so but has the Attorney General in a time of turbulence in America, his hands on approach was brilliant. An opinion on John Kennedy, I could have done that in five sentences. But Senator Edward Kennedy, the most accomplish politician of the Kennedy family and perhaps the greatest senator/lawmaker in the history of America.
As, I was walking out of the class I heard the word “moderation,” I turned and looking straight at me was “Mr. Stone Face.”
The Legall family: Pat, a fast bowler, who played for Guyana many times. My friend S. Leggie played for the Guyana ladies team in the seventies (what a name for a girl with long legs, lol). Ron, became a “foot soldier” in Georgetown cricket. He was everywhere, be it scoring, putting forward advise to youngsters, a simple “hello, how are you doing.” The footprint Ron Legall left on Guyana cricket will never be forgotten.
The Edward Kennedy of the Legall brothers.
Rest in peace, Mr. Ron Legall.

Chrissy 2015-08-04 15:31:10 

In reply to Dukes

Very sad - I moved this to the RumShop

Stilbatn 2015-08-04 15:58:43 

In reply to Chrissy

Thank you for doing so Chrissy--many of you will not know this he played the game too as an off spinner --High School (Guyanese College) and Wight cup for Malteenoes--my condolences to his entire family may his soul R.I.P

Stilbatn 2015-08-04 17:12:44 

In reply to Dukes

Dukes just pointing out Chanderpaul did not captain any of those teams that Pat Legall coached, for 4 years Shiv played under the captaincy of Andre Percival--I know you did not say he was the skipper --no problem Bro -peace

Curtis 2015-08-04 18:58:55 

RIP and condolences to his family; I went to primary school with his son or nephew

Kay 2015-08-04 19:01:04 

In reply to Stilbatn

for 4 years Shiv played under the captaincy of Andre Percival

Shiv and Percy played under-19 for 4 years?

Since dem days he was keeping out the youngsters......

BTW... RIP Ronsad

Norm 2015-08-05 00:56:56 

A well played innings by Ron Legall. Not the most glamorous, but very important nevertheless.

Ron Legall has been associated with the game at the highest levels in Guyana, for the longest time. That is testimony to his excellence and longevity, and to the importance of his contributions to cricket in Guyana.

Thanks, Ron!