The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Former Sri Lanka captain blames ICC for the dwindling interest in Test cricket.

CaribbeanCricket.com 2015-08-29 06:41:14 

COLOMBO: This has been a hard-fought Test series but attendance has been pretty poor throughout. In fact, the P Sara Oval - venue of Kumar Sangakkara's farewell Test - struggled to fill its 7,000-seat capacity on most days. Former Sri Lanka captain and current member of parliament Arjuna Ranatunga believes the International Cricket Council (ICC) is to be blamed for the dwindling interest in Test cricket.

"We have two top teams in action, playing some exciting cricket, but still we don't have crowds. I have doubts whether the present ICC regime wants to do anything to save Test cricket. It's all about making money for them, which comes through ODIs and T20s," Ranatunga told TOI on Friday.

"If this attitude of ICC doesn't change very soon, I don't see a very bright future for Test cricket or the sport in general," the 1996 World Cup-winning captain said.

Full Story

ProWI 2015-08-29 08:05:19 

Yep, they are killing the glorious game.

It's as if the ICC is enacting the Gayle mantra - "wouldn't be so sad' if Test cricket died"

dayne 2015-08-29 09:41:03 

Well, it would take some creativity by the ICC to modify the game to attract more fans to the longer form of the game, everywhere societies are placing an emphasis on quick results, therefore that emphasis would affect Cricket also.

Tryangle 2015-08-29 09:49:30 

ICC couldn't care less. As long as they have the Ashes every year or two and lucrative India v Oz or England series, Test cricket is fine in their eyes. Enjoy the stagnation.

Drapsey 2015-08-29 10:06:58 

In reply to ProWI

Yep, they are killing the glorious game.

It's as if the ICC is enacting the Gayle mantra - "wouldn't be so sad' if Test cricket died"

That Gayle fellow is all powerful, isn't he?

And that's whether he's swinging his oversized bat, or shooting off his oversized mouth (Catfish-mouth according to Jaydee).

Imagine test cricket has been around since mid 19th century and it takes just a single utterance from this hurry-come-up Yardie to place it on the proverbial life support.

Those uppity Yardies would spoil church! evil twisted twisted

POINT 2015-08-29 10:16:17 

In reply to Tryangle

You have hit the nail on its Head . It seems to me that the International Cricket Cabal ,aka the ICC has set the example for The Worst International Cricket Board in the World , aka the WICB .

It is all about making Money and Enriching all those in the governance of Cricket.Nothing else matters to them .

NOW I FULLY UNDERSTAND WHY THE ICC

HAS ALLOWED THE WICB TO BECOME A

ROGUE CRICKET BOARD .

What is needed is a thorough investigation of the ICC , it is , at least to me , stunning that the ICC can come down hard on the USA Cricket Association , yet allow the WICB to do all manner of evil regarding Cricket in this Region .

Cowcorner 2015-08-29 11:36:34 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
I agree with this story for the most part. I would go as far as saying that the ICC is killing international cricket and don't know how to make the most out of cricket at the international level.

the ICC doesn't even know how to maximize cricket's revenue

the ICC and the WICB have lots in common