The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Simmons says his piece; WICB's move now

CaribbeanCricket.com 2015-11-29 14:07:18 

Six weeks after the West Indies Cricket Board suspended him as head coach for "inappropriately commenting" on the selection of the ODI squad for the tour of Sri Lanka, Phil Simmons finally laid out his case last week.
In the interim, he was engaged in composing the apology demanded of him by the board for his angry words in an interview with the media, while the WICB itself had been distracted by its unrelated, complex confrontation with the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) sub-committee on cricket over the conclusions of the latest review committee on its governance.
In the spillover of his mounting frustration in the post he took up last March, Simmons, who is one of five national selectors, spoke of "people [who] would use their position to get people into a squad or… get people left out of a squad".
In a lengthy and detailed statement presented to the WICB's chief executive officer, Michael Muirhead, Simmons left no doubt he was referring to the two most powerful men in West Indies cricket at present, board president Dave Cameron and director of cricket Richard Pybus, the Englishman who was hired in October 2013 after brief international stints in Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Simmons' account, accompanied by copies of relevant emails, followed the WICB's decision to reinstate him for the current tour of Australia. The board said that it would "immediately investigate" his charges after which it would take "the necessary and appropriate action".
A copy of his statement has been made available to me by a trusted source.

read more at ESPNcricinfo

Full Story

Halliwell 2015-11-29 14:51:40 

Cozier unearths the moth and dust that corrupteth

doosra 2015-11-29 15:03:23 

In reply to Halliwell

C is not always for Consistency big grin

Halliwell 2015-11-29 15:25:51 

In reply to doosra

His cozyuptothebandits days are over lol

sandisha 2015-11-29 15:28:53 

In light of this information, I now conclude that Dave Cameron, Emmanuel Nathan, and Richard Pibus should all be fired immediately! The big question is, since Mr. Pibus came on board, are we are better team? Was Bangladesh or Pakistan a better team during his stints with them? if the answer is no, then why did we hire him?

As far as MR. Cameron and Nanthan are concerned, after the embarrassment in India, let alone the demise of our cricket under their leadership, they should have been fired long time ago and be replaced with Brian Lara and maybe Sammy, since they both understand the new era of cricket today, unlike former greats like LLoyd, Viv and Garner who were born at the wrong time, when cricket was about pride of country instead of the monetary benefits of today.

If we overlook these things, every year we will have to be rebuilding a team because as soon as a young player makes a name for himself, he will look for ways to make money instead of just simply playing for pride like in the old days.

WestDem 2015-11-29 15:35:47 

In reply to sandisha

Dude! Why don't you sometimes just stfu? Who was ever born in a wrong time? You wanting Lara to run WI cricket confirmed you as being the biggest skunt on this MB cool

doosra 2015-11-29 15:43:22 

In reply to Halliwell

Cozier
Clive
Cameron
Chanda

jacksprat 2015-11-29 16:18:38 

Simmons reported the president as protesting that Bravo and Pollard "walking past him was disrespectful" and asserting that he needed "a statement of commitment" from such players before he could consider them

So much for the big lie that the WICB does not involve itself in team selection, which is the "sole purview of the selection panel that has total autonomy".

Some power-hungry profilers evidently see West Indies cricket as their personal fiefdom to be used to exact revenge on those deemed to be out of favor; or who don't sufficiently genuflect to them-Bravo and Pollard "walking past him was disrespectful"-in all casual encounters.

We saw it in Hilaire's victimization of Gayle and we now see the same scenario being played out in Cameron's victimization of Pollard & Bravo. Nothing has changed!

Why bother with a formal hearing where the players are officially brought up on charges when you can just indefinitely suspend them---unofficially of course?!!

rubberd 2015-11-29 16:19:58 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

As I said before the decision for the coach is that a player is either eligible or ineligible. Those in administration must do their jobs and stick to best practice. The player commits an offense and is either banned or suspended, the same should apply to WICB staff and officials, instead we have Phybus and Cameron still around to reign terror on players for the bad decisions that they made.

See why they can't attract & retain serious talent. This "disrespect thing" is a new low ( no wonder people afraid and tripping over each other to fall in line).

POINT 2015-11-29 16:22:53 

The fact that Pybus has had brief Stints with other Employers does not,
in my opinion speak well of his abilities . This Report by Simmons may loom large in the
Meeting to beheld next Month between
the Regional Governments & the WICBC .

It is quite evident that Someone , or
Some people on the Board are very unhappy with Cameron & Co. Obviously
this means that there is dissention
in the WICBC .

Cameron did publicly promise that there was not going to be any victimization of any of the Players regarding the India Tour . He stated
that to P.M. Gonsalves on the Mason & Guests Show .

It now turns out that Cameron to put it mildly was not telling the Truth .
I am of the belief that when you have grown People , behaving like Children , they must be supervised .

So WE must have , n my opinion , an
Entity looking over the decisions of the WICBC . It really should not have come to this , but for many years the WICBC has been Autocratic .

I still firmly believe that the Sacred Sports Scribes in the Region
by not being very critical of the WICBC allowed the latter to become a
Rogue Cricket Board .

In this regard the ICC has been & is
the main cheer leader , in the WICBC becoming a Rogue Cricket Board . It
has shovelled money to the WICBC , without demanding that the WICBC adhere to the Principles of Good Governance .

However it can impose sanctions on the Associate Members like the USA
Cricket Association , while allowing the WICBC to be come a Rogue International Cricket Board .

The Regional Governments must insist that all the Members of the Board demit their Offices , unless this is done , Cricket in the Region is going to sink lower & lower .

Worse yet it is very likely that if
this Regime remains in the governance of Cricket in the Region , the standard of Cricket Regionally will get worse ; and in the International Cricket Arena WE will be at Rock Bottom .

dayne 2015-11-29 16:32:04 

So what a mess, how long will Simmonds keep his job after these revelations, although I believe he should stay and some of the others should go, like the Caricom committee recommended, the WICB should be disbanded.

sudden 2015-11-29 19:18:46 

i have no issue with Pybus and Cameron's position on Bravo and Pollard. what they should have done is make it known to the public that that is the reason for their exclusion. you may agree or not but there would have been no doubt around the issue.

that notwithstanding it is time for us to move forward. dissolve this present board and re set the dial.

imusic 2015-11-29 19:28:04 

Simmons cannot be that naive. Ah mean, what did he expect? He cannot claim that he not aware of the politics involved.

If he tries to claim that, he not just naive..he dotish

UNLESS

somewhere in his contract it is written that he and the selectors have complete autonomy over the selection process and therefore can be compensated accordingly should he be able to prove that was the case.

If that is the case, he callin dem out. That would be the only logical explanation. Even then, that's a dangerous move

POINT 2015-11-29 19:48:06 

In reply to imusic

I am not privy to Simmons Contract , but if he is fired , he will be getting Free Money .

It is very likely that someone who is not a friend of Cameron leaked this information to Cozier , who has published it .

Now Simmons cannot be blamed for the details of his statement being leaked to Cozier . It is interesting that this Leak is made Public when the WICBC is going to have a meeting with the Regional Governments .

Obviously Cameron & Co will have to
explain this to the Regional Governments ; because it surely does not look good for Cameron & Co.

But as they say time will ultimately tell us what the outcome of this meeting will be . Let me once again state that Cameron Publicly stated that there was not going to be any victimization of the Players .

Pacy 2015-11-30 01:17:57 

In reply to imusic

somewhere in his contract it is written that he and the selectors have complete autonomy over the selection process and therefore can be compensated accordingly should he be able to prove that was the case.

You think he would have not asked for some degree of control in the way things happen when he was interviewed for the WI position?

If WICB had clearly stated that he cannot decide on the team and would have to just take what is given to him, I doubt if he would have even taken the role in first place.

I would not be limiting this with WICB but around the world organisations say a story to key talents during recruitment and selection process but act differently once you get into the system. This is where the disconnect happens in many places.

Larr Pullo 2015-11-30 14:16:43 

Where's Wavell Hinds and WIPA in all this?

imusic 2015-11-30 14:35:39 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Why would the WIPA be involved in a management issue?

Larr Pullo 2015-11-30 14:38:32 

In reply to imusic

The obvious sidelining of Pollard and Bravo because they "walked past the president".

jacksprat 2015-11-30 14:49:11 

Are Pollard & Bravo still members of WIPA?

If what Simmons is asserting is factual, then Cameron seems even more petty & vindictive than even I had imagined.

Blackbird 2015-11-30 21:43:55 

I am concern about the petty issues this coach raises. Very naive not politically astute.

What he continues to do, without proof is to impute motives and character assassination of the selectors.

We are so caught up with Cameron that we miss the major issue.

He is saying that Browne, Walsh & Baptiste cannot engage in discussion and subsequently form an independent opinion.

Whivh cricket selector, anywhere in the world that is totally isolated from the environment of the sport.

Simmons cha

POINT 2015-11-30 22:51:25 

In reply to Blackbird

It can also be possible that he was hinting that Walsh ,Browne & Baptiste input in the selection process were not their own beliefs , they were simply doing the bidding of others .

Pacy 2015-12-01 02:19:24 

In reply to Blackbird

What he continues to do, without proof is to impute motives and character assassination of the selectors.

What makes you believe he has no proof?

Blackbird 2015-12-01 10:55:44 

In reply to Pacy

Let's wait

Blackbird 2015-12-01 10:56:44 

In reply to POINT I guess, he has never worked in an organisation especially with professionals.

mikesiva 2015-12-01 11:18:27 

In reply to jacksprat

Plantation mentality....

Pacy 2015-12-01 12:18:47 

In reply to Blackbird

You mean he is working with professionals in WI set up but not in Ireland set up.. lol

cherri 2015-12-01 12:20:55 

Wuh loss....

jacksprat 2015-12-01 12:45:41 

In reply to mikesiva

Plantation Mentality

[Cameron] asserting that he needed "a statement of commitment" from such players before he could consider them

I guess kissing the WICB president's, Cameron's...er..ring at every turn would be a "sufficient statement of commitment" by Bravo & Pollard!

Some of these power-hungry clowns really think West Indies cricket is about them!