The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Holder wants fearless Windies to confront Aussies

CaribbeanCricket.com 2015-12-01 06:54:31 

BRISBANE, Australia (CMC) -- Captain Jason Holder has urged his inexperienced West Indies side to be fearless and aggressive but not reckless, as they attempt to break a near two-decade long streak of not having won a Test Down Under.

The 24-year-old Holder, in only his second series as Test captain, said yesterday though Australia were ranked number two in the world and West Indies six places lower, it was important for the Caribbean side to be confident and aggressive in their approach and not to be intimidated by their opponents.

"I had a week home (following the recent Sri Lanka tour) and I actually had time to see a series when Australia came to the Caribbean and Steve Waugh stood up to the West Indies fast bowlers and had a good rivalry with Curtly Ambrose," Holder told reporters here.
"I took a lot from that experience just watching it... Australia are probably at the top at the present time so if we can just be a little more fearless and show we are not frightened for them. In that sense, be a little more aggressive and be smart... not reckless, but at the end of the day be smart and back our abilities."

read more at Jamaica Observer

Full Story

dayne 2015-12-01 23:03:18 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
Holder does not yet realize that he is going into a machine gun fight with small hand guns.

Scar 2015-12-02 14:03:27 

Nor does he realize thst he has a buch of CARELESS rather than FEARLESS pkayers. The selectors dont seem to factor in some bravery into their batsman selections. You have find that touch of it in batsmen as does OZ and RSA snd past Windies. They have left at least 2 such players,at home who could take on OZ without timidity.

It also is time they select batsmen to suit the nature of the opposition. It is being done with bowlers why not with batsmen. Thats a selection skill used in baseball that can apply better in crucket.

rillo 2015-12-02 14:34:50 

In reply to dayne

guns with the red/ orange tips.

shivnotout 2015-12-10 01:36:16 

In reply to rillo

In that sense, be a little more aggressive and be smart... not reckless, but at the end of the day be smart and back our abilities."
lol