The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Breaking: EXPANDED Digicel Partnership

pelon 2016-05-24 13:18:20 

Press release

As the biggest supporter of cricket across the region for the last 12 years, this time around Digicel will be helping to grow the already massive appeal of the game by sponsoring the women’s and U19s teams – in addition to the men’s senior team.

Another major part of Digicel’s new commitment to West Indies Cricket will be the coaching clinics that will be developed across the Caribbean to find and nurture the cricket stars of the future – as well as a strong mix of branding and advertising at home games, activations, promotional opportunities and more access to the teams. And, for the first time ever, the Digicel logo will also have a presence on all West Indies team’s jerseys at ICC events.

Digicel’s commitment will help the strategic growth of the WICB’s business and provide greater engagement for fans and benefits to Digicel customers. This includes the support of the long form of the game, and the future of Test Cricket, and this will play out with the broadcasting of the Professional Cricket League (PCL) Regional 4-Day Competition set to start later this year.

“The stunning recent successes of the men, women’s and U19s teams have once again broadened the appeal of the game and excited new audiences. We are delighted to be involved now with all of the WICB teams and particularly pleased to be partnering on the coaching clinics which will help to nurture future champions from the Caribbean.”

Interesting:
“In addition, our commercial agency, Pitch International, has been key to this renewal of this new look partnership.”

positiveg 2016-05-24 13:39:00 

In reply to pelon

Hmmm
Well firstly let me say congrats
I hope hope hope with this deal would be better merchandising of WICricket products
Cause it's really hard to get WICricket merchandise
Again congrats. Nice that Digicel realizes the benefits
Wonder what's the terms in term of $ figure of the deal.

WestDem 2016-05-24 13:41:27 

In reply to pelon

Ooops!!! Nat good news for the Professor....good on Digicel to include all WICB teams...

positiveg 2016-05-24 14:06:18 

In reply to WestDem

Yep gonn abe more to hell than Cell for me aunty
lol lol

But I'm really glad they included the U-19, that means that for sure they probably got some sort of assurances from teh WICB that the U-19 will be having more tours.
Cause only way they benefit would be when they get exposure.

Haven't head anything about sponsorship for the Tri-Series.
I know for the India tours India will walk with they sponsors(lol)

Wonder if they (digicel) would start being Official Sponsors of Windies home series?

POINT 2016-05-24 16:55:11 

My take is that putting all One's Eggs
in One Basket aint good in Sports . I
get the impression that Digicel with
the support of the WICBC , long term
is going to seriously damage Cricket in the Region , from a perspective of
the competitiveness of Our Teams & Players .

The gist of what I am stating is that
Monopoly in any form is bad . I have
absolutely no doubt that if there was
another Regional Cricket Organization , Cameron et al would not be behaving in the manner that they are currently
displaying .

Kay 2016-05-24 17:09:02 

You were molesting them for not leveraging the the 3 wins to market sponsorship. Now they did it you singin another tune and still finding fault.....

camos 2016-05-24 17:14:43 

In reply to WestDem

good even if they not getting any more money?

camos 2016-05-24 17:15:56 

In reply to Kay

how can you make a conclusion about the deal when the terms are not stated?

positiveg 2016-05-24 17:38:14 

In reply to camos

I think Kay was refering to Point's comment
Cause he was saying after we won the three ICC tourneys this year that Digicel didn't really push its brand
Now they sponsoring the 3 teams he's muttering summen slightly different
I for one can see his point of having its eggs in all basket, but maybe Digicel gave the WICb an ultimatum knowing that they can leverage having their name on all 3 teams rather than just 1/2 and having maybe Carib on another
Would FLOW have been able to match it possibly, due to the the fact they C&W just signed a new deal with a venture capitalist.
So they too looking to expand across the growing Caribbean Telecommunications market.
I just hope they really push branding and advertising hard, because that's been lacking heavily the last few years here in the Caribbean.
If they are to use similar strategies like what's employed in the CPL they should be ok.

POINT 2016-05-24 19:01:55 

If the only Sponsor is Digicel , then it looks like Digicel has the WICBC all tied up & in a StraitJacket .

BTW does anyone know who won the case that involved , the WICBC ; Stanford
& Digicel that went to the Privy Council ???

Having a case heard by the Privy Council costs a lot of money especially to the Loser of the Case .

The fact is that there are no NEW Sponsors , hence my retort about putting all the Eggs in One Basket .

I could be wrong but my take is that
the Digicel current contract forbids
other Sponsors having an opportunity
to become Sponsors .

This is why I have stated and will continue to state that the people in the WICBC are utterly devoid of Business Acumen .

openning 2016-05-24 19:10:27 

In reply to POINT

I don't have a problem with the sponsorship of the International team, what is concerning to me is the sponsorship of the regional 50 overs and 4-day.
Digi as business, did its due and put its money up, to extend the contract of the senior team, and with the WC wins by the women and U-19 teams, made it a package.
We are not a big market, so that extra coins will help the ladies and U-19 tournaments.

camos 2016-05-24 21:32:45 

In reply to openning

We are not a big market, so that extra coins will help the ladies and U-19 tournaments

how much is Digicel paying?

pelon 2016-05-24 21:46:09 

In reply to camos

how much is Digicel paying?

The bell just rang.

Transparency is needed before we "applaud" loudly. If the sponsorship is segmented, what are the allocations for each team.

POINT 2016-05-25 11:45:47 

In reply to pelon

That fact has escaped the Morons who
Support the WICBC .

Kay 2016-05-25 13:07:09 

In reply to POINT

The shareholders got the breakdown and they are happy. If you are a shareholder then check your inbox.....

positiveg 2016-05-25 13:30:03 

In reply to Kay

Still though the total deal should be made known
one can say new sponsorship deal worth X million 2017-2021. Deal would be paid X million x year and so forth
it doesn't have to be broken all the way down, but the amount of the deal should be made known for transparency.
How much going for the team I don't think is totally necessary.
Glad that at least Digicel stepped up to the plate.
They see the value in having their name across both, men, women and teen chest and if they really come through with marketing of the game and more money can go into the development of Caribbean cricket, I'm Happy wid dat.

ponderiver 2016-05-25 13:33:04 

In reply to Kay

The shareholders got the breakdown and they are happy. If you are a shareholder then check your inbox.....
razz razz razz

POINT 2016-05-25 18:08:14 

In reply to positiveg

ALL the Reports commissioned by the
WICBC included TRANSPARENCY . However
that aint in the Cards for the Real
Pirates of the Caribbean .

Asking them for Transparency , is akin to asking them to change their
1927 Structure . That will not happen without the WICBC Fighting for its Life .

By now it should be obvious to most
people , that whatever the WICBC does
has the complete backing of the International Cricket Cabal , aka the
ICC .

POINT 2016-05-25 18:33:28 

FEI ( For Everyone's Information )

International Cricket Boards DO NOT
OWN CRICKET . "They are the Stewards of
a Public Sports ".

Those words were addressed to the BCCI
by the Supreme Court of India , as they
verbally slapped around the BCCI recently .

So why was the International Cricket
Cabal not in Court to scold the Supreme Court Judges for their behaviour ??.

The ICC relishes its belief that it
is omnipotent , but while the Judges were verbally hammering the
BCCI & the India States Cricket Associations . The International
Cricket Cabal Representatives were no where to be found .

Cricket Boards mistakenly believe that because they are the Stewards of
a Public Sports , and have the support of the International Cabal
that entitles them to do as they please , including not being transparent .