The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Bravo magic seals one-run win in 489-run T20I

CaribbeanCricket.com 2016-08-27 14:59:29 

A hurriedly arranged exercise to take a glimpse into the future of cricket economy provided a giddying look into the future of Twenty20 cricket on the field. This was a future of fearless, relentless, calculated, almost unhurried hitting taken to the next level as West Indies first amassed their personal best of 245 only for India to come within two runs of mounting the highest successful T20I chase almost without breaking a sweat.

Evin Lewis and KL Rahul, replacing regular openers Chris Gayle and Shikhar Dhawan, smashed hundreds, but in this future bowlers did deal the consequential blows. India bowled superb wide yorkers to concede just 40 in the last four and 64 in the last seven, but the wily Dwayne Bravo outfoxed MS Dhoni and the centurion Rahul by defending seven runs in the last over. India needed two off the last ball, but Bravo made Dhoni wait and wait before bowling a slower ball that was caught by Marlon Samuels at short third man.

On a day that some batting records were broken and all sorts of others, and low-flying aircrafts, were under threat - Richard Levi's fastest hundred off 45 balls thrice, most runs in an over, most runs in boundaries in a team innings, highest T20I score, highest successful T20I chase - the bowling was the story of the day. In particular the last over of the day.

Full report and scorecard at ESPNcricinfo

Full Story

sandisha 2016-08-28 21:25:21 

That one run victory won the game and the series. Congrats to the young captain and his team for making us proud. Although our score today of 144 was disappointing, I have no doubt that had it not been for the weather, it would be another thriller that would go our way.

As a West Indian / American let me inform the ICC that if they want to bring cricket, particularly T20 to the US, they need to go back to the drawing board and do better than that. In the US, their is no such thing as an abandoned game due to weather, be it baseball, football or soccer. Postponement yes, but not abandonment with so much day light left. Fans MUST get value for their money and today's game would not have been cancelled had it been a US sport. The late start which prevented a result is unacceptable and yet all they had to do was push the game until weather improved within 24 hrs so India could resume their inning. That's how we do it with baseball and other out door sports in the US.