The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Holder and Sammy

matchstick 2016-11-29 18:11:23 

Same story...

One is a slightly better cricketer...

the other is a slightly better leader...

Looking at Holder hanging on with those not outs in the tri series reminded me of the fight that Sammy showed early on when he was handed the captaincy.

Seeing the reaction people had to the team and in turn Holder reminded me also a lot when Sammy first come bout...

Holder will be an even better leader in WI cricket than Sammy. Time will show this and of course those in charge has to stay with him and he with them.

Carlos on the other hand i not sure abt.

Runs 2016-11-29 18:14:52 

In reply to matchstick

Noticed you took on a prophetic role bro lotsa predictions all over. lol
Can you perform miracles also.

matchstick 2016-11-29 21:50:01 

In reply to Runs

Better be prophetic than negative Nancy.

Which side are you on?

anandgb 2016-11-29 22:31:14 

In reply to matchstick

I agree regarding Holder, its a learning process and he is smart enough to keep learning.

Walco 2016-11-30 07:41:24 

In reply to matchstick

If Holder turns into a better leader than Sammy, the future of west Indies cricket is bright. Sammy is the best leader West Indies cricket has had since Clive Lloyd.

silver 2016-11-30 08:22:18 

In reply to matchstick

All it takes these days is one little tweet and you are history. Coaches and captains will not last very long

lol lol lol lol lol

matchstick 2016-11-30 09:15:13 

In reply to Walco

the future of west Indies cricket is bright

The future wont be bright till we have continuation. As much as sammy acheived there is not much to show for it with this new bunch of guys.

That is a different topic.

My post was just drawing a parallel to the introduction of Sammy as a leader and the similar introduction of Holder... And the reactions being of WI fans.

voiceofreason 2016-11-30 09:42:38 

In reply to Walco

If Holder turns into a better leader than Sammy, the future of west Indies cricket is bright. Sammy is the best leader West Indies cricket has had since Clive Lloyd.

That is a big IF.

Walco 2016-11-30 10:06:36 

In reply to voiceofreason

I actually disagree with matchstick regarding Holder's potential as a leader. Sammy is more of a natural leader than holder.

voiceofreason 2016-11-30 10:09:26 

In reply to Walco

I actually disagree with matchstick regarding Holder's potential as a leader. Sammy is more of a natural leader than holder.

Exactly. BTW this is not just an opinion we share but many teams who have bestowed him with the leadership title.

Runs 2016-11-30 11:02:29 

In reply to matchstick

Holder is lacking in leadership skills, shows no situational awareness, non imaginative.
That is my opinion of him as a leader, I think he was pushed into the position prematurely, no fault of his by the way.
As a cricketer he is average with glimmers of brilliance. cool
He will not improve at this level he needs to hone his skills at the local FC level first then elevate into International.
WICB does not have long term strategic planning and the state of our cricket is a reflection.

thefacts 2016-11-30 11:04:02 

In reply to Walco

Sammy is the best leader West Indies cricket has had since Clive Lloyd.

shock shock shock

matchstick 2016-11-30 11:14:59 

In reply to Runs

Holder is lacking in leadership skills, shows no situational awareness, non imaginative.
That is my opinion of him as a leader, I think he was pushed into the position prematurely, no fault of his by the way.

Yep... all of that was being said of Sammy when he started.

The difference was that Sammy was older and had more international experience.

matchstick 2016-11-30 11:16:05 

In reply to Walco

Sammy is more of a natural leader than holder.

As long as Holder has the support from the board and the management team like Sammy did during his time he will be up there with Sammy.

Runs 2016-11-30 11:30:33 

In reply to matchstick

By the way Sammy was never a successful leader in my opinion, he hid from the bowling and seldomly contributed with the bat. I am speaking about test and one day cricket, am not a fan of 20/20 cricket nor do I think it is a good measuring guage of leadership ability. cool

methodic 2016-11-30 11:46:12 

In reply to matchstick

Holder has more cricketing potential, Sammy had more self belief than Holder has at this stage. Sammy benefited from having the look of a honest, simple man that was a hard trier. The world always have some appreciation for a blue color worker that rises to the top.

Holder could turn into a very good captain, even a great captain notches above Sammy. We tend to underestimate time and the dramatic changes it can bring. Sammy time as captain has past, Holder is now clearing the bushes so he can navigate his territory.

natty_forever 2016-11-30 12:10:46 

In reply to matchstick

Holder will be an even better leader in WI cricket than Sammy.
... as if that's a hard act to follow.

natty_forever 2016-11-30 12:14:18 

In reply to Runs

nor do I think it is a good measuring guage of leadership ability.
... especially when pound for pound you captaining the best T20 side in the world.

matchstick 2016-11-30 13:33:45 

In reply to methodic

you pretty much said all that i said in my lead post. smile

che 2016-11-30 14:56:07 

In reply to thefacts

U best post!!

Dais xtreme diss of Big Cat fi utter court jester $cammy in same breath!!

lol lol lol

voiceofreason 2016-11-30 15:19:01 

In reply to methodic

Holder could turn into a very good captain, even a great captain notches above Sammy.

He will struggle to come even close to what Sammy was as he lacks the requisite experience and the people around him who can pass on the experience to him.

Runs 2016-11-30 15:21:48 

In reply to voiceofreason

+1 Damn bro, where did that come from, someone stole your handle? lol

voiceofreason 2016-11-30 15:35:30 

In reply to che

You hugging up the Anti Bajan Facts until he ready for you again. What a Cunu! smile

Wasp 2016-11-30 16:00:39 

In reply to matchstickYou should run another persist thread and then Holder will prove all you round and win the ODI world cup

razz razz

matchstick 2016-11-30 23:06:10 

In reply to Wasp

Lol

I made Sammy... will make Holder too cool big grin

natty_forever 2016-12-01 14:32:20 

In reply to matchstick... Holder doomed!

big grin

matchstick 2016-12-01 15:58:37 

In reply to natty_forever

Another negative Nancy... Typical i should say! cool

cricketest 2016-12-04 10:53:00 

this is true, unfortunately we have already seen the best of holder...which by the way was not very good.

someone with principle would have declined the captaincy...

Runs 2016-12-04 12:02:27 

In reply to cricketest

True, but risk not being picked and a lucrative earning potential. How many truly would have done so? wink