The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

NineMiles: Nico goes out a champion!

Larr Pullo 2016-12-02 09:21:43 

Wow! Nico has announced his retirement with immediate effect.

I never saw that hunger in him, he was just doing it because it was expected of him it seems.

NineMiles 2016-12-02 09:59:13 

In reply to Larr Pullo

He's realised he will never beat Lewis to the championship again!

Lewis threatened to quite Mercedes after the Spanish GP

carl0002 2016-12-02 10:05:27 

Or maybe that's why Mercedes was working so hard to get him this championship.

StumpCam 2016-12-02 10:32:30 

In reply to carl0002

exactly!

djdrastic 2016-12-02 10:42:37 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Wow didn't see this coming tbh.
Well at least we are rid of that crybaby come next year however these guys ALWAYS come back for another nibble.

Don't be surprised if he unretires in a hurry if some team has a dominant car.

carl0002 2016-12-02 11:07:02 

He probably want Mercedes to get rid of Hamilton so he can return as the lame duck number 1 and World Champion

NineMiles 2016-12-02 11:44:55 

In reply to carl0002

Nah... don't think so.

Lewis not surprised by Nico's retirement

Hamilton, who spoke in Vienna after Rosberg's announcement, said he had seen it coming.

"The sport will miss him and I'm sure it was a surprise for many people," he said. "I'm probably one of the only people it was not a surprise to, but that's because I have known him for a long, long time. But this is motor racing."

Hamilton and Rosberg started karting together in their early teens and have followed similar career trajectories before being matched as teammates in F1 at Mercedes in 2013.

Asked if he would miss the rivalry, Hamilton added: "Well, this is the first time he has won in 18 years, hence why it's not a surprise that he decided to stop. But also he's got a family to focus on and probably wants to have more children and Formula One takes up so much of your time.

"In terms of missing the rivalry, of course [I will]. We started out when we were 13 and we would always talk about being champions and when I joined this team Nico was there -- again which was something we talked about when we were kids. It's definitely going to be very strange and for sure I will be sad not to have him in the team next year."

SnoopDog 2016-12-02 14:06:07 

In reply to carl0002

The problem with Formula 1 these days is that it's all dependent on the car instead of the skill of the driver.

Look at Button. When he jumped into that Brawn car he instantly became a world champion driver. The year before when he was in a Honda car he was mediocre at best.

I would love to see either one of Rosberg or Hamilton in a shytty car and see how they manage. We all know the answer.

djdrastic 2016-12-02 14:22:21 

In reply to SnoopDog

Haha that Brawn GP win was such a farce.
It looked like the rest of the field was stuck in glue that year hah.Ross Brawn studied the incoming rules way before everybody else and essentially let Honda develop a car just for that year and of course they would pull out of F1 right after all the development was done surprised

That said Button will I think become a really good GT/Sports car racer when he gives it up.He drives great lines

SnoopDog 2016-12-02 14:29:24 

In reply to djdrastic

Yeah. I have nothing against Button personally, or any driver really. It's the evolution of the sport which I don't care for any longer.

All the cars should be same build and same engine. Level the playing field so we can truly see who is the best driver and not who has the best car.

The only time I will watch F1 these days is if it's raining. Wet tracks tend to level the field and brings out the best drivers.

Larr Pullo 2016-12-03 06:15:07 

In reply to SnoopDog

Hamilton won with McLaren before he went to Merc. If you don't know you should ask...

SnoopDog 2016-12-03 11:41:29 

In reply to Larrfullashyte

That McLaren wasn't a shytty car. At least when it had the Mercedes engine.

Put Hamilton or Rosberg in that Honda that Button was driving and then we'll see how good they really are.

NineMiles 2016-12-03 12:14:11 

In reply to SnoopDog

No driver wins a championship in a shitty car! F1 has always been the same since time immemorial...it's the driver/car combination and you'll find most of the best drivers tend to drive the best cars.

The best drivers out there right now are;

Hamilton - the best racer this era.
Alonso - great racer but seems to have lost his mojo in recent years. A shitty car hasn't helped.
Max Vestappen - a future world champ
Riciardo - another future world champ.

Real-cricket 2016-12-03 12:31:32 

In reply to SnoopDog

why would u want to drive a shitty car to win a championship? your aRGUMENT MAKES NO SENSE

SnoopDog 2016-12-03 12:42:10 

In reply to Real-cricket

What makes no sense is Button ranking 18th in 2008 driving a Honda then world champion in 2009 driving a Brawn car.

It's not the driver which determines the world championship, it's the car.

black 2016-12-03 13:11:48 

In reply to SnoopDog

It's not the driver which determines the world championship, it's the car.

Both.

It's true that the top manufacturers usually produce the best cars but the driver makes a difference.

SnoopDog 2016-12-03 13:22:24 

In reply to black

So what happened to Button's world championship driving skills in 2008?

Simply put, any given driver would have won the championship in that Brawn car.

Anyways, F1 is faux sport the way it's set up. Only wet tracks give it a semblance of a fair contest.

black 2016-12-03 13:33:27 

In reply to SnoopDog

Anyways, F1 is faux sport the way it's set up. Only wet tracks give it a semblance of a fair contest.

Drivers that are good on wet tracks are not always the best drivers. That's just one skill they have mastered.

If you watch MotoGP, you'll get a better understanding of all the intricacies of racing.

black 2016-12-03 13:44:02 

In reply to SnoopDog

Tires, track conditions, lines, (how they take corners) intensity, all make a difference. Some drivers cannot maintain the same intensity throughout the race.