The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Excellent Piece Faz Excellent

sudden 2016-12-11 07:59:34 

never let any other person define you, talk and write about yourself. you are the only one who really knows you. i love it, mate.

reminds me of when in 6th form history our teacher, The Beast aka Mr Gittens, discussing 'The Prince' said "Boys, always let them know who you are and what you are about. Leave doubts and someone will fill in the blanks."

Link Text

HOW OFTEN HAVE you read a cricket book written by a non-West Indian and come close to blowing a gasket, or at least got a little annoyed, at a clear misrepresentation of facts or issues relating to the Caribbean game?

From my limited experience it happens regularly, not just in print, but also in the spoken word

Walco 2016-12-11 08:30:42 

In reply to sudden

Reminds me of the groundbreaking study of West Indies cricket history and culture published by Tricky Dick Pybus within six months of setting foot on West Indian soil cool

sudden 2016-12-11 08:43:04 

In reply to Walco

really? i have worked with the English for a long time. there is nothing especially smart about them. i dont understand our fascination with hiring them at all. they mostly work on assumptions and historic inaccuracies as facts. above all they are very conniving and exploit divisions well

FuzzyWuzzy 2016-12-11 08:49:33 

In reply to sudden

True

doosra 2016-12-11 09:40:44 

i have worked with the English for a long time. there is nothing especially smart about them

should we abandon the language for a start? big grin

doosra 2016-12-11 09:41:05 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

little England smarter?

sudden 2016-12-11 09:45:19 

In reply to doosra

i shud call de contractuh fuh yuh skunt big grin

Headley 2016-12-11 10:53:15 

In reply to Walco

Reminds me of the groundbreaking study of West Indies cricket history and culture published by Tricky Dick Pybus within six months of setting foot on West Indian soil cool

lol lol lol

Walco, how come yuh find yuhself in the company of Fuzzy, Sodden and Doosra? Yuh attending a Smartman Convention? lol lol lol

Walco 2016-12-11 12:03:11 

In reply to sudden

I had my suspicions about Pybus from the time I saw him in an interview with Bish. He came off as an arrogant know-it-all.

Six months later he came out with this report on West Indies cricket that had me stunned by the level of knowledge and expertise he had developed in such a short period of time. That's when I started posting about that joker. I still can't believe the WICB allowed itself to be conned by that snake-oil salesman.

Walco 2016-12-11 12:10:39 

In reply to Headley

Man, I was the first poster on here to start cussing Pybus. But I guess I was privy to some non-public information about what was going on behind the scenes.

But why are you insulting Sudden and Doosra by putting them in the same category as Fuzzy? smile smile

Actually, I have lots of respect for Fuzzy. He's a class act.

doosra 2016-12-11 13:00:49 

In reply to Walco

But why are you insulting Sudden and Doosra by putting them in the same category as Fuzzy? smile smile

Actually, I have lots of respect for Fuzzy. He's a class act.

ouch!!!

Oilah 2016-12-11 13:14:01 

In reply to sudden

Was that Mr. Stanton Gittens?

tc1 2016-12-11 13:22:36 

In reply to Walco

you are 110 % correct that the Fuzz is a class act.

uton 2016-12-11 13:30:32 

In reply to sudden

really? i have worked with the English for a long time. there is nothing especially smart about them. i dont understand our fascination with hiring them at all. they mostly work on assumptions and historic inaccuracies as facts. above all they are very conniving and exploit divisions well

The issue is low self-esteem on our part.

Larr Pullo 2016-12-11 13:40:56 

Waiting for Faz to step up and write something authoritative....

Headley 2016-12-11 13:42:19 

In reply to Walco

Can't disagree with a word you've said. Tricky Dick was brought in as a hatchet/con man and he's working with Cameron and Garner, neither of whom are well known for their diplomatic skills.

And yes I will agree that Fuzzy is a class act, and so are Doosra and Sudden. Although it does take some diplomatic skill to use the word "class" and Sudden in the same sentence. big grin big grin

imusic 2016-12-11 16:37:50 

In reply to doosra

should we abandon the language for a start?

che abandon it long time

XDFIX 2016-12-11 17:23:39 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Waiting for Faz to step up and write something authoritative....

Windies ppl like to talk, period! Writing is hard wuk, ask Chrissy!

Norm 2016-12-11 18:40:52 

In reply to sudden

What is excellent about it? The observation that West Indians will readily align with their exploiters against their fellow West Indians for a few material and political trinkets?

Classic examples - Dave running WICB thru twisted support by a few regional boards, many Bajans feeling they are better than other West Indians because "massa seh suh", etc, etc.

We make our bed and we sleep on it.

Norm 2016-12-11 18:42:04 

In reply to imusic

che abandon it long time

I think che did so voluntarily. I am not sure about some of the others tho!

sudden 2016-12-11 18:52:16 

In reply to Norm

it was my considered opinion that the piece was excellent. one must write about oneself or suffer the consequences of some else writing your story.

every time you open your yap it is something disparaging about Bim. write your own story and extol the virtues of Guyana. i am sure there is a lot to wade through

Norm 2016-12-11 19:11:56 

In reply to sudden

one must write about oneself or suffer the consequences of some else writing your story.

"Write"? For whose applause? The Caribbean has it fair share of writers - VS Naipaul, Jan Carew, Edgar Mittelholzer, etc, but where do they stand among Caribbean people? Do we support the formation of our collective identity, or do we think those that mimic England, etc, are better?

every time you open your yap it is something disparaging about Bim.

Now "criticism" = "disparaging". Same darn mentality as Dave!

sudden 2016-12-11 19:31:00 

In reply to Norm

there can never be enough writers- no such thing. one must constantly update and document facts about oneself

there is criticism and there are insults. when you say Bajans think they are better than other WIndians without providing evidence and then attribute that to becos, Massa seh suh, that is not a criticism that is an out and out insult. so guh way with that shoite.

Norm 2016-12-11 19:45:23 

In reply to sudden

that is an out and out insult.
We know the truth, so I will leave it at that.

For the record, I think Bdos does better economically than the others because they manage their resources better. Former British colonies in the Caribbean suffer from deep government corruption - exactly as the exploiters would like it.

We continue to dance to the exploiters' tune.

The roots of the real issue being raised by Fazeer go deep into WI society.

sudden 2016-12-11 20:00:59 

In reply to Norm

what you said about Bajans feeling they are better than other WIndians becos, Massa seh suh, assumes that Bajans could not have come to that conclusion on their own, assuming it is true, and what if it is.

americans feel that are better than any other group of people on this planet. who told them that?

i feel i am the best person on this earth and i hope every person feels the same.

Norm 2016-12-11 20:11:56 

In reply to sudden

americans feel that are better than any other group of people on this planet.

So too do Russians, Japanese, etc, and did Genghis Khan's Mongols, etc. Crocs, anacondas, etc, will attempt to prey on anything small enough physically. So, perhaps it's a primeval instinct some haven't overcome yet.

i feel i am the best person on this earth and i hope every person feels the same.

smile Yeah, I always knew that - and the most generous too! When can we go for a few beers?

sudden 2016-12-11 20:17:14 

In reply to Norm

A good single malt whiskey and yuh got me big grin

Will be in Fresno sometime in Feb. you anywhere near there? I can cuss yuh skunt to yuh face

Norm 2016-12-11 20:27:18 

In reply to sudden

Will be in Fresno sometime in Feb. you anywhere near there? I can cuss yuh skunt to yuh face

About 300 miles away (near Oakland) but let me know. I might be able to arrange something to have the pleasure of cussing you to yuh face too! smile

This winter in California is rather cold (around 0 Celsius), so come prepared.

Runs 2016-12-11 22:09:49 

In reply to Norm

Are you a Gonsalves?

Norm 2016-12-11 22:16:16 

In reply to Runs

Are you a Gonsalves?

Yes.

Runs 2016-12-11 22:21:51 

In reply to Norm

lol Small world, your mom and my mom are cousins

Norm 2016-12-11 22:28:18 

In reply to Runs

your mom and my mom are cousins

smile

No wonder you refer to Cane Grove so often! It's a pleasure. Please let me know (by PM) of the details.

Runs 2016-12-11 22:33:23 

In reply to Norm

Sent pm, same here.

anandgb 2016-12-12 01:22:49 

In reply to sudden

LMAO.

anandgb 2016-12-12 01:24:33 

In reply to Norm & Runs

Small world.
lol

Walco 2016-12-12 07:45:43 

In reply to Headley

Although it does take some diplomatic skill to use the word "class" and Sudden in the same sentence.

smile smile smile

Walco 2016-12-12 07:51:10 

In reply to doosra

ouch!!!

Since you lit the fuse on that now infamous Southie thread and ran away as it raged out of control, I have held the belief that you are the most dangerous poster on this site.

Yuh can't start nutten between me and Fuzzy though because we navel string bury on di same rock smile

doosra 2016-12-12 08:23:10 

In reply to Walco

I have held the belief that you are the most dangerous poster on this site.

dear oh dear

i take no pleasure in such a tag

far from it man. far from it

Runs 2016-12-12 09:02:20 

In reply to anandgb

Thank god I never said a bad word er to him that is lol

matchstick 2016-12-12 09:33:22 

The thing about Faz and the rest of the lot is that once given a platform they chose to bitch and moan and highlight the negative aspect of our cricket... Just look at Faz's commentary.

While there are MANY negative aspects abt WI crikcet, it just simply shows that our people are lazy and willing to regurgitate the same type of message board BS in their columns, writings and commentaries.

doosra 2016-12-12 09:35:04 

In reply to matchstick

our people are lazy and willing to regurgitate the same

rich big grin

natty_forever 2016-12-12 11:50:11 

In reply to sudden

so guh way
... correct spelling way=weh. Only A Bimshire would say way.
big grin

Cornfused 2016-12-13 10:17:51 

Who is being groomed as a journalist and historian on West Indies Cricket to replace Cozzy ?