The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

When Push Come To "Shiv"

Norm 2016-12-18 00:38:27 

Will the WICB "shiv"? Shiv is making a huge statement here - 2 centuries in just the fourth round of the regional first class competition, out of ten rounds.

At the same time most of the other batsmen are struggling to achieve similar heights - consistently or even inconsistently. The only exception is J Hamilton, who seems to be maturing now. Alleyne has been a flash in the pan, despite the ooh's and aah's of his trigger-happy countrymen, and now young King has suddenly found himself being touted as the next big hope by his newfound fans!

I remember years ago when Bdos opening batsman Robin Bynoe continued to plunder regional bowling after a very brief stint in Test cricket, but the quality of batsmen at the time was so strong that no one even suggested that Bynoe should be recalled. The situation is much different today, tho.

If Shiv continues in this rich vein he will have to be recalled to the WI Test team should he declare an interest in doing so, or the WI Cricket Board will find itself once more scrambling for excuses over him. Shiv, without any doubt, will want to play Test cricket again!

Meanwhile, the Shiv haters must be sweating profusedly. How can this be? When will Shiv go away? Hahahaha!

Keep on batting, Shiv. I hope we see more centuries from your bat for years to come!

tc1 2016-12-18 00:50:56 

In reply to Norm

Alleyne has been a flash in the pan, despite the ooh's and aah's of his trigger-happy countrymen

I think that you are trying to rile up the mob, not one of Alleyne countrymen have ask for his elevation to the test team.

By the way, Weekes and Walcott retired at 32 and 31, When the retired they were still the best players in the team.Dessie dominated the regional after he was dropped, Shiv is doing what all great test batsmen should do when they retire from the international scene.

Robin was a good opening batsman, had 2 tours to India, one at 18yo and the other at 28 yo , 2 test matches

Devin 2016-12-18 01:32:31 

In reply to tc1

Shiv is 42, you do realize that, don't you?

Kay 2016-12-18 02:41:26 

In reply to tc1

By the way, Weekes and Walcott retired at 32 and 31, When the retired they were still the best players in the team.Dessie dominated the regional after he was dropped, Shiv is doing what all great test batsmen should do when they retire from the international scene.

See you cutting and paste now to make a point but it still don't make sense. What does Weekes and Walcott has to do with Shiv's performance?

Headley 2016-12-18 06:40:28 

In reply to Norm

he will have to be recalled to the WI Test team

I am a Shiv fan but I don't think you should invest too heavily in his return. big grin

You may have forgotten but his last 3-4 WI matches were not pretty.

Norm 2016-12-18 06:49:04 

In reply to Headley

his last 3-4 WI matches were not pretty.

Which of the current or recent WI batsmen had a "pretty last 3 - 4 WI matches"?

Naw - let's go back to the last 3 - 4 years ...

Headley 2016-12-18 07:20:41 

In reply to Norm

There are not many WI batsmen who have had a "pretty last 3 - 4 WI matches". The question is whether the reasons are the same.

I mentioned on another post yesterday that I was fortunate to see Shiv in 1994 when he made his debut. That was almost 23 years ago.

Runs 2016-12-18 07:25:24 

Shiv lost form after a phenomenal 4-5 years run and what did WI do? Dump him unceremoniously wink

Andy99 2016-12-18 12:02:04 

One big reason for Chanderpaul to re-think his international career could be his involvement with the Masters Champions League (MCL), a tournament for players who have left all professional forms of the game including domestic cricket, which begins on January 28 in Dubai. To participate in the MCL, players have to get no-objection certificates from their respective boards stating that they have retired from all forms of cricket. Incidentally, till Thursday the WICB had not been approached for an NOC by any player. Chanderpaul was signed for $30,000 to represent Gemini Arabians in the tournament.

What are the rules? Can he unretire and play that should be answered first before thinking if he should be in consideration.

voiceofreason 2016-12-18 12:21:17 

In reply to Norm

Will the WICB "shiv"? Shiv is making a huge statement here - 2 centuries in just the fourth round of the regional first class competition, out of ten rounds.

Actually this is the fifth round of competition. If Shiv keeps up these numbers in the 2nd half then he must be considered for a test position. I believe the 2nd half of the season will separate the sheep from the goat.

doosra 2016-12-18 12:23:30 

In reply to voiceofreason

the headline is almost a pun

lol

Narper 2016-12-18 12:51:11 

In reply to tc1

By the way, Weekes and Walcott retired at 32 and 31

32 and 31 was old in those days....and they looked old...life expectancy was 65 wink

johndom90 2016-12-18 13:02:15 

In reply to Norm

Shiv can use his experience and ability to thrash regional bowlers...no surprise there, but his last few test innings agait more focused bowling reflects more on the gulf between our local standards and that of international.

I would predict that if...if...he is ever recalled, he will be subject to targeted hostility by any bowling attack he faces, as WI of old did to the team leadere.

Does Shiv really want to go back in the Lions den?

doosra 2016-12-18 13:06:03 

In reply to johndom90

where did he look susceptible to aggressive bowling?

created truth?

TheTrail 2016-12-18 13:06:53 

In reply to tc1

If shiv wants to come back into test cricket – he would be coming back for one ting and one ting only…

doosra 2016-12-18 13:07:51 

In reply to TheTrail

the same thing he was pushed away from big grin

voiceofreason 2016-12-18 13:13:45 

In reply to doosra

Almost indeed. Very clever by Norm...Almost Kaisoesque. smile

Narper 2016-12-18 13:14:28 

In reply to johndom90

I would predict that if...if...he is ever recalled, he will be subject to targeted hostility by any bowling attack he faces, as WI of old did to the team leadere

And WHEN was he NOT targeted over the years?

tc1 2016-12-18 13:22:14 

In reply to Trail/ doosra

All WI greats were pushed, Sobers,Richards , Lara, Haynes

tc1 2016-12-18 14:46:53 

In reply to johnd

om90

Does Shiv really want to go back in the Lions den?

Good question, I think not, he just wants the debate to continue. did he not officially retire?

johndom90 2016-12-18 16:02:06 

In reply to Narper

Young Shiv was batting back then..he saw it big and hit it fat.

The first time I noticed a chink with Shiv was when Bret Lee felled

him sometime back

42 yr old Shiv will be exposed by the young Turks our there

This mamby pamby bowling in regional is a waste of time for preparing

batsmen for international duty, the fact that our pitiful batsmen cannot

emulate Shiv's batting at regional, is reason for even more concern about

the state of the game at home.

I can't see any real fan of Shiv projecting him back in the Test

team...no matter what he does at regional.

johndom90 2016-12-18 16:05:39 

did he not officially retire?
In reply to tc1

No I dont think he officially retired.

He was pushed, edged out, marginalized out...

just like many before him.

The treatment he got is the same that was meted out to many

who went before,and not Shivcentric, as many would suggest.

johndom90 2016-12-18 16:11:19 

where did he look susceptible to aggressive bowling
In reply to doosra

2008 Brett Lee bouncer at Sabina, which kept low.

Shiv ducked into it and was out for the count. It was the first time

I ever saw him in some bother against pace....genuine pace, and maybe

it was the first inkling of a chink in the armour.

Link Text

Safe to say everyone held their collective breath. Some say that Phil Simmons

was never the same batsman after his bouncer incident which was far worse than Shiv.

Maybe that bouncer incident still affected Simmons to want to come coach WI cool

Runs 2016-12-18 16:16:42 

In reply to johndom90

Dude post Shiv stats after that 2008 hit from Lee. It is part and parcel of the game, the best can lapse in concentration, it is human to err. Shiv has never been suspect against quick bowling. Actually, arguably he is one of the top WI batsmen against pace bowling. cool

WestDem 2016-12-18 16:53:01 

In reply to Runs

Lara get knocked out by Akthar and was scared as a Trini and refused to bat again, Shiv on de odda hand, got up and threw punches! lol lol

Norm 2016-12-18 17:00:41 

In reply to WestDem

Shiv got up and made a century. Read about it here.

johndom90 2016-12-18 17:05:12 

In reply to Runs

Dude...you asked a question ..i answerd it and qualified by saying it was the FIRST time i saw him in a botheragainst pace.

Post whatever stats you want....

Norm 2016-12-18 17:09:43 

In reply to tc1

Weekes and Walcott retired at 32 and 31

When they did, their replacements, which included Cammie Smith, Sobers, Kanhai, Butcher, etc, inspired confidence. Today, Shiv's want-to-be replacements barely average 30, in first class cricket.

Norm 2016-12-18 17:18:33 

In reply to johndom90

he is ever recalled, he will be subject to targeted hostility

Brian Close, after being recalled by England at 40+years of age, was pounded by Holding and company, but he was not specifically "targeted". All the other England batsmen were subjected to the same bowling too.

The difference between Close and Amiss, for example, was that Amiss was simply the better batsman. Close seemed to be held by the English as some sort of English "tough guy" talisman - which held no sway over the WI fast bowlers.

Should Shiv prove to be his typical rock-solid self, opposition teams would return to their previous strategy against him - leave him alone and pound the others!

Norm 2016-12-18 17:21:00 

In reply to johndom90

I can't see any real fan of Shiv projecting him back in the Test team...

True WI fans want the best in the WI team ... and Shiv is showing that he is still the best batsman in the region - bar none.