The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

India Has a Very Serious Problem

Runs 2016-12-23 07:12:05 

Link Text

This is cruel and sad

steveo 2016-12-23 09:03:21 

In reply to Runs

Bro dont take this as a defense of India or rape. My issue is the rate or REPORTING on indian rape in the western media.

I cant remember seeing American or other rape cases in international media, even the really sick cases where multiple women are kidnapped and chained for YEARS in basements and repeatedly rape.

With this much focus on Indian rape, you would think India is the capital of rape in the world.

I did a quick google search for rape statistics globally and I was very surprised to find India at 94th on the rape list (rapes per 100,000 population).

South Africa tops the list, US at 14th, Israel at 26th, Guyana 28th, Trinidad at 25th.

If you are a woman, it is more likely you are raped in those countries before India.

Runs 2016-12-23 09:23:46 

In reply to steveo

Am not doubting that the media is complicit in over-sensationalizing, but it should not be an issue in a society as India's where respect for each other is deeply ingrained. It pains me to read about it having ancestral ties to India.

black 2016-12-23 09:31:00 

In reply to steveo

I got your point but the spotlight has been placed on India because of a series of brutal crimes.

camos 2016-12-23 09:42:27 

In reply to steveo

With this much focus on Indian rape, you would think India is the capital of rape in the world.

I did a quick google search for rape statistics globally and I was very surprised to find India at 94th on the rape list (rapes per 100,000 population).

South Africa tops the list, US at 14th, Israel at 26th, Guyana 28th, Trinidad at 25th.

If you are a woman, it is more likely you are raped in those countries before India

the most telling rape stat is the number of unreported rapes.

ProWI 2016-12-23 10:29:13 

In reply to steveo

Well, here is another take on Rape in India.

.......Take this document from the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime. It shows 1.8 incidents of reported rape in India per 100,000 people in 2010 compared to 27.3 in the U.S.

This kind of comparison, however, is misleading, Indian activists say.

Sudha Sundararaman, general secretary of the All India Democratic Women’s Association, a nonprofit organization, says very few rapes get reported due to pressure from society to cover up abuses and the reluctance of police to register cases.

Although she acknowledges it’s hard to get hold of true statistics, Ms. Sundararaman estimates from her field experience that only about one in 10 rapes get recorded in India.

That would make India’s reporting rate much worse than the results of surveys in the U.S. suggest.

Runs 2016-12-23 10:35:29 

In reply to ProWI

In a male dominated, religious society I am also thinking if an unwed woman publicizes that she was raped, society may shun her and her chances of ever getting married. Hence the cover up.

Emir 2016-12-23 10:35:48 

In reply to camos

Correct.

I have family in India by way of marriage.

Rape and incest is an epidemic. If stats were kept and victims had a culture of reporting, India would be one of the top in the world

Sad and sick. Many Indians are fighting hard to effect change in a culture that keeps rape as Shame to be hidden

bravos 2016-12-23 10:41:07 

In reply to Emir

Sounds like they need a Christian crusade...but that would be a different kind of terror..I wish them the best but in the meantime no woman in my family is ever stepping foot there,barbaric..

steveo 2016-12-23 11:10:04 

In reply to camos

the most telling rape stat is the number of unreported rapes.

Yes but why focus on India, the 94th ranked country where rape is concerned.

If you wanna bring in unreported rape, US colleges would be the right place to start.

steveo 2016-12-23 11:14:40 

In reply to bravos

Sounds like they need a Christian crusade...

So you want to jeopardize young boys now...

Indirect point, why does the Catholic church enjoy media black out on their activities ?

Khaga 2016-12-23 11:20:17 

In reply to Runs

In a male dominated, religious society

lol

Runs 2016-12-23 11:34:50 

In reply to Khaga

It is so add in sexually repressed lol: cool

bravos 2016-12-23 11:42:10 

In reply to steveo

oops yes!! One of the biggest mafias today!! Fyah bun dat deceitful organization with their man made madness..

ray 2016-12-23 11:52:56 

In reply to Runs

Respect for each other is deeply ingrained in India? Yuh watching too much Bollywood lol

Khaga 2016-12-23 11:54:05 

In reply to Runs

You could easily be talking about your Sharia countries,bruh!

cricketmygame 2016-12-23 12:01:11 

In reply to steveo

the case runs post suggest than women in india, pakistan, middle east and other places dont report rape because of a lack of protection

as a result stats can be misleading in those places

Runs 2016-12-23 12:07:31 

In reply to Khaga

But I am not, that is a separate thread that you can start to divert this topic as you so often do wink
You know exactly what I am speaking about, a large young sexually repressed male population in a culture that frowns deeply on pre-marital sex wink

black 2016-12-23 12:14:29 

In reply to Runs

But I am not, that is a separate thread that you can start to divert this topic as you so often do

You know exactly what I am speaking about, a large young sexually repressed male population in a culture that frowns deeply on pre-marital sex

True, and I am sure, favoring boy children over girls is coming back to bite them.

granite 2016-12-23 12:29:54 

In reply to steveoI always wondered why rapes in India was of such interest to the world media,I know about South Africa and the USA,but you don't hear much.It would be nice for the media to focus on India's progress in many other fields,they are not interested in that,it's good you let them know,good post.

camos 2016-12-23 12:34:12 

In reply to granite

there is a big focus on rape in places where it appears the government does not offer enough protection for victims, that's all.

granite 2016-12-23 12:38:10 

Trinidad 25,Guyana 28,where's Jamaica, and I wonder why that's the case,come eeen Jah Jah hexplain.I have an idea but me wah fi hear wah Jah Jah affi seh.

granite 2016-12-23 12:41:05 

In reply to camos
Well,why don't they focus on TT and Guyana,they don't usually find the rapists and do very little to catch the people,I say people,I really mean animals.

black 2016-12-23 13:01:00 

In reply to granite

You sound like you are reacting out of anger than logic.

As camos stated, very little protection is offered to women, so the actual cases are probably 10 times worse.

JahJah 2016-12-23 13:02:53 

In reply to black

granite brains. can't understand simple sentences.

black 2016-12-23 13:10:12 

In reply to JahJah

lol lol lol

bravos 2016-12-23 13:11:50 

In reply to granite

Guyana and Trinidad hmmmm...now I wonder what they have in common?? Also is there a correlation between men of Indian culture and male confidence issues? That problem is widespread in the Middle East and other places of staunch and original religiosity,I mean just look at how they hide them in some places,it's like they're afraid their heated animal breeds with another,look how they mind and trade them in other places such as India,can it be a now innate defect of centuries of misguided teachings by cultures of woman scorn and scorn of the female reproductive system and cycle which ultimately leads to females being 'innately' viewed as lowly single purpose chattel for use ?

India is a significant and original contributor and manufacturer of world people and diaspora,whatever happened in India to create this widespread phenomenon can actually affect other countries,I know certainly this is true to many countries with recent migrant influxes,but it may be also true to many countries with significant diaspora distribution.

Anyway saw a list that has India in the top 4 and a few top rated countries at the top as well,no mention of Guyana or T&T,don't know how accurate it is,but the undeniable fact is India is a long established old world country molded on religious ideals and culture,they would be singled out for scrutiny if only for the accountability and hypocrisy,I would truly like to see The Vatican under such scrutiny as well..

No offence,just scope.

granite 2016-12-23 13:15:39 

In reply to black
What do you want me to do,act out of sympathy for the fcuking murderers and rapists,are they ever caught in Guyana and Trinidad,I say Trinidad because it doesn't happen in Tobago.My previous post where you accused me of being angry was stupid,i wasn't angry,I am now angry because you appear to feel some sympathy for rapists in Trinidad and Guyana.

black 2016-12-23 13:21:16 

In reply to granite

What do you want me to do,act out of sympathy for the fcuking murderers and rapists,are they ever caught in Guyana and Trinidad,I say Trinidad because it doesn't happen in Tobago.My previous post where you accused me of being angry was stupid,i wasn't angry,I am now angry because you appear to feel some sympathy for rapists in Trinidad and Guyana.

Jah Jah starting to make sense.

Dude, I will volunteer to be the executioner of those bastards.

granite 2016-12-23 13:29:32 

In reply to JahJah
Well Jah Jah,if there's very little protection for the Indian women,it's the same in Trinidad and Guyana,that is simple enough,even for me.Me know seh yuza ex Kingston Kallege bway and Hinglish ah yuh fuss language.

smile

bravos 2016-12-23 13:39:15 

In reply to granite

I certainly don't know of this rape epidemic you talking about in T&T and I certainly have vulnerable ladies of interest out there,I mean I'm sure it happens too often and I'm familiar with some past cases, but I'm not familiar with an epidemic of Indian proportions on a seemingly methodically industrial scale with widespread active rape gangs playing catch me if you can..kinda like cartels..

Runs 2016-12-23 13:50:50 

In reply to bravos

I doubt any man needs to rape a woman in T'dad to have sex. It is a very free and open minded society. Culturally very sexual also. lol
Women are not prudes in T'dad.

bravos 2016-12-23 14:06:39 

In reply to Runs

They rape you!! twisted

If they like you that is!

granite 2016-12-23 14:30:37 

In reply to bravos

I didn't try to make out tha it was an epidemic in Trinidad, but I dont ever hear bout a rapist being caught, the fact that they kill the victim makes it even more horrendous, like Mr.Dale Seecharran, well, at least the police got him.

bravos 2016-12-23 14:46:54 

In reply to granite

His facebook friends are only good looking women who probably just accepted his frined requests..no chats nothing,he probably just wanted access to their pics,I think it's hundreds of good looking facebook faces..sounds twisted to me..actually saw the page..