The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

ObamaCare: Republicans are in denial

ProWI 2016-12-24 06:07:27 

Republican critics of the Affordable Care Act have long described it as a house of cards on the verge of collapse. And they continue to be wrong. A record number of people have signed up for health insurance for 2017 on the federal exchanges created by the 2010 law.

Nearly 6.4 million people had signed up for coverage as of Monday, which is about 400,000 more than at a similar point last year. Among them were two million people who did not participate in 2016, some of whom might have previously been covered through an employer. The number of enrollees does not include many millions of people whose policies will be automatically renewed or who live in states like California, Minnesota and New York that have their own marketplaces.

By the time open enrollment ends early next year, the Department of Health and Human Services estimates 13.8 million people will have signed up nationwide. The percentage of Americans without insurance is steadily declining, hitting a record low of 9.1 percent in 2015, the most recent year reported.

If President-elect Donald Trump and Republican leaders in Congress carry out their promise to repeal the law, they will be taking away health insurance from millions of people — the A.C.A. also expanded Medicaid to cover about 14 million more low-income and poor people.

When the Obama administration announced in October that premiums would rise by 25 percent on average for midlevel plans on the federal exchanges, Republicans predicted that this would doom the system. They ignored the fact that most people would not have to pay more because federal subsidies would rise to account for the higher premiums charged by private insurers. About 77 percent of people eligible for the coverage on the exchanges can find policies for $100 a month or less.

Treating the Affordable Care Act as a punching bag during a political campaign is one thing. But it is quite another to destroy a law that is helping so many people.

Oilah 2016-12-24 07:35:46 

Yes "Repeal and replace" appealed to millions of unthinking citizens and the millions of haters who like the right wing oppose anything associated with Obama. If creating a great efficient affordable cover everybody health care system was easy it would have have been done before Obama was born.When Trump say he loved the uneducated he en lie (and he is an A+ liar)
...he and the right wing have played them for fools...up to now they have nothing in place to do de replacing...more talk to come. rolleyes

black 2016-12-24 07:50:31 

In reply to Oilah

Well said. I have been saying this from day one. I always knew that they had nothing to replace it with. The most they can do, is a little window dressing and replace the name but the program will remain, largely intact.

ProWI 2016-12-24 13:57:38 

In reply to Oilah

The "Repeal and replace" came about because it was associated with Obama. The Republicans were the ones who came up with the term ObamaCare. It was meant as a disparaging way to associate the health reform to Obama, as they tried to defund and demean the act, and strangle it in its infancy, all with the purpose of denying Obama any major accomplishments, as they repeatedly try to repeal it

Now, of course ObamaCare is the best thing they could have called the healthcare act. But don't be surprise that if and when they see, they can't come up with an appropriate replacement to satisfy the public, they will try to dither around the edges and call it something else. But, it will always be ObamaCare, because as Obama said, "I care". More importantly, people who never had health insurance are happy to have ObamaCare.

POINT 2016-12-24 16:17:47 

In reply to ProWI

I totally agree with what you have stated . 2017 is going to turn out to be a very Interesting Year in America .
What people are missing is the fact that when President Obama won his first Term , the Country was in a deep financial Crisis .

Trump is coming into the Presidency with the Economy being in great shape . So if everything goes South , he
surely cannot blame President Obama .

embsallie 2016-12-25 21:30:43 

In reply to POINT

So if everything goes South , he
surely cannot blame President Obama .

You mean if unemployment creeps back up to 6%?

Do you live in Canada? There is no way on God's green earth that Obama is not going to be blamed

The excuse will be (and trust me they will make it sound convincing)that the rate was actually 6% when trump took office, but the numbers were rigged to make Obama look good.

POINT 2016-12-27 18:52:06 

In reply to embsallie

I am very sure that President Obama
will be blamed , but that will not be be the truth . I know that President Obama will be blamed foe everything during Obama's Presidency , for the first 2 years of the Trump Administration .

Trump has always been and is person who exaggerates everything , and is
very likely to state that everything
that is wrong will never be his fault .

cricketmygame 2016-12-27 20:08:20 

obama care can be saved easily

you need low premiums and high deductibles