George Michael

doosra 2016-12-25 18:25:08 

any GM fans here?

NineMiles 2016-12-25 18:32:54 

What a shitty year this has been!

Runs 2016-12-25 18:37:40 

Teenage years star RIP made beautiful music

Devin 2016-12-25 20:26:34 

George Michael had one big ass voice, as good as he was in his prime, I still think he was underrated. Big time voice.

Sad sad news, but I can't say that I'm surprised.

WICFan 2016-12-25 20:33:23 

David Bowie
Prince
Alan 'Hans Gruber' Rickman
Muhammed Ali
Arnold Palmer
George Michael

2016 can fuck right off.

pelon 2016-12-25 22:43:05 

Kissing a fool.

RIP
Can't believe Prince and GM and Luther are all gone.

Yes I know Luther gone long time...

Priapus 2016-12-25 22:52:29 

Let her down easy (cover of Terrence Trent Darby)

A Different Corner

Raggs 2016-12-26 05:46:28 

In reply to Devin

George Michael had one big ass voice, as good as he was in his prime, I still think he was underrated. Big time voice.
Best British vocalist of all times in my eyes. Being gay and of Greece parentage won't allow him that title by the critics. The man singing was effortless. Him and Dennis Brown were born to sing from my times.

Runs 2016-12-26 06:16:52 

In reply to Raggs

truespeak

JahJah 2016-12-26 09:39:06 

In reply to WICFan

David Bowie
Prince
Muhammed Ali
Arnold Palmer
George Michael

2016 can fuck right off.

You couldn't be Guyanese.

voiceofreason 2016-12-26 09:47:06 

Wow I am stunned this morning. I am a big George Michael Fan from since the Wham days. The music world has lost a brilliant voice as some singers are born to sing but George was born to 'sang'... He is up there with Luther, Marvin, Al, Sam Cooke, Teddy, Steve Perry etc. Yeah Man he was that good just underrated.

My favorite songs from him(( I have so many ) are 'Kissing a fool', ' Careless Whisper' 'Faith', live version of'Can't make you love me', 'Different corner', live version with Elton' Don't let the sun' just to name a few. My ultimate favorite is his live version of Bonnie Raitt's 'Can't make you love me', easily the best version ever done (Good try Tank).
Live version

George Michael was a technically brilliant singer but with endless emotion in his voice which drew you into his magical beautiful talent. He probably was underrated because of him being gay, from the UK (UK has a lot of great singers who never crossover) and a girl toy earlier on in his career. The latter is one of the reasons why he did the critically acclaimed Listen without prejudice volume 1 as he wanted to be taken as a serious artiste after the wham and faith days.

RIP George died so young at only 53.

doosra 2016-12-26 09:59:12 

In reply to voiceofreason

a masterpiece

JahJah 2016-12-26 10:19:57 

Not sure who underrated him as such. I thought he was already considered a great. And if he were underrated as a vocalist, his race might have also played a part in that.

nitro 2016-12-26 10:22:00 

He is going to hell unfortunately for a great singer. His nasty behavor overshadowed his great talent.

voiceofreason 2016-12-26 10:24:13 

In reply to doosra

Yes Bro! That is what I am talking about there. So controlled, effortless, he owned that song...No disrespect to Bonnie but she must have had second thoughts about performing that song live after hearing George's version. Lol.

voiceofreason 2016-12-26 10:32:35 

In reply to nitro

As evidenced by Nitro's comment, this great artIste's career was often overshadowed by his gay lifestyle.

Let me remind him of the scriptures:

Luke 6:37King James Version (KJV)

37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

John 8:7King James Version (KJV)

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her

You do not know the man so how do you know whether or not he made peace with God before he died?

nitro 2016-12-26 10:51:05 

Good point. I agree. Why does it seem most great singers sold themselves to the devil i fail to comprehend.

camos 2016-12-26 11:33:20 

Wham!

voiceofreason 2016-12-26 11:35:46 

In reply to nitro

Now the selling themselves to the devil can be interpreted in different ways. Selling yourself literally means that you made a pact with the devil in some form of demonic worship where your soul is exchanged for fame.

That happens but what is more common is how the music industry has marketed their talents, using sex, subtle messages in music videos and lyrics glorifying sex, drugs and the fast life. This why it is a billion dollar industry. Some artistes get caught up in the adulation, the drugs, sex etc and compromise their music to make millions for their record labels. The devil works through these mediums and that world can consume you. It can make you and easily break you. In exchange for fame and millions you compromise your music or sell out your artistic ability. Some fight to get control of their artistry and are successful in that regard but the scars still linger. George sang about it in freedom but even then he was already hooked to that lifestyle as the drugs and sex was still a major part of his being. Prince got back his artistic control, looked what happened to him.

It comes with the territory.

pelon 2016-12-26 11:40:19 

My favorite songs from him(( I have so many ) are 'Kissing a fool', ' Careless Whisper' 'Faith', live version of'Can't make you love me', 'Different corner', live version with Elton' Don't let the sun' just to name a few. My ultimate favorite is his live version of Bonnie Raitt's 'Can't make you love me', easily the best version ever done (Good try Tank).

As evidenced by Nitro's comment, this great artIste's career was often overshadowed by his gay lifestyle.

Respectfully, I beg to differ. Are you sure his sexuality "overshadowed" his career? Can you consider this: that his sexuality was PART of who he was and the very songs you drool over where made exactly because WHO he was. (Remember he WROTE them all)

How can you extract from a man his sexuality an call it "overshadowing"?????? This "battydomhate" in our region borders on absurdity.

Selling yourself literally means that you made a pact with the devil in some form of demonic worship where your soul is exchanged for fame.
OMFG

"music industry has marketed their talents, using sex, subtle messages in music videos and lyrics glorifying sex"
- go read Songs of Salomon - come back to me about sexuality in lyrics.

facking dark ages man.

Seasons greeting though bro, and respect (we can differ, right?) always.
lol

XDFIX 2016-12-26 11:59:44 

In reply to WICFan

David Bowie
Prince
Muhammed Ali
Arnold Palmer
George Michael

2016 can fuck right off.

Is death that bad, be careful!

voiceofreason 2016-12-26 12:08:08 

In reply to pelon

Respectfully, I beg to differ. Are you sure his sexuality "overshadowed" his career? Can you consider this: that his sexuality was PART of who he was and the very songs you drool over where made exactly because WHO he was.

Under Wham he was sold to the audience as a girl toy. All of his videos were catered to the lucrative female market. He never was able to sell his true identity being a gay man because at the time that was considered taboo and it would have derailed his young career. Careless whisper was probably about a woman finding out about his gay lifestyle but check the video...Lol.

Heaven knows I was just a young boy
Didn't know what I wanted to be
I was every little hungry schoolgirl's pride and joy
And I guess it was enough for me
To win the race? A prettier face!
Brand new clothes and a big fat place
On your rock and roll TV
But today the way I play the game is not the same
No way
Think I'm gonna get myself happy

Music is subjective. I am an artiste so I clearly understand the power of lyrics and music. A song may have different interpretations depending on the listener's experiences and current situation. I also know very well to at times block out the background of the artiste and focus on the message and the music. So for you to say that because I knew he was a gay man I will not accept his music is as ludicrous as it is dumb. I personally do not care about his lifestyle as it is his choice, albeit not what I approve of. I do not care about Elton John singing about his lover Daniel as Daniel could be anybody's brother, husband, son. I am a music lover period.

Seasons greetings!
smile

pelon 2016-12-26 12:16:42 

His sexuality did not overshadow anything. Simple.

Under Wham he was sold to the audience as a girl toy. All of his videos were catered to the lucrative female market
And he shut it down. Band lasted what 4 years? He had a different path. And. He. Owned. It.

Your religious ideology conflicts with his sexuality, so like all bible quoting Christians you pluck out the good, and admonish the parts your are told to admonish. In the end the whole of Gerorge Michael is exactly like any deity would have wanted him in the first place. His sexuality is exactly as it was destined to be, and he owned who he was.

Anyhow, I leave it there and respect your public admonishment and public appreciation: you want to have it both ways.

lol lol lol

Devin 2016-12-26 12:16:52 

In reply to doosra

Beautiful

Devin 2016-12-26 12:19:29 

In reply to Raggs

Somebody to love

Curtis 2016-12-26 12:24:23 

In reply to Devin

yeah...enjoyed that

voiceofreason 2016-12-26 12:27:51 

In reply to pelon

His sexuality did not overshadow anything. Simple.
Under Wham he was sold to the audience as a girl toy. All of his videos were catered to the lucrative female market
And he shut it down. Band lasted what 4 years? He had a different path. And. He. Owned. It.

Fair enough he owned his lifestyle but not after making millions off a con, lol. Faith was his biggest selling album. Wham not too far behind. Yes he received critical acclaim for Listen without prejudice but commercially it was a dropoff from his Faith and Wham Albums.

Anyways this is about George Michael the artiste which we can both agree was a brilliant singer/songwriter...Fullstop.

camos 2016-12-26 15:11:28 

Careless whisper evokes all sorts of emotions. RIP minstrel!

Runs 2016-12-26 15:18:38 

Lotsa talented people in the Arts lead alternative lifestlyes

bravos 2016-12-26 15:40:40 

In reply to doosra

Damn i didn't know about this,grew up on WHAM! RIP..

And I was gonna start a thread couple days ago asking what shocking news or disasters we can expect this season as most seasons seem to have them..

Damn George was a nice guy despite his torments..

Devin 2016-12-26 16:09:10 

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me Live

Careless Whisper Live - That Saxophone

pelon 2016-12-26 17:52:59 

In reply to Devin

Love that live version. Many thanks.

WICFan 2016-12-26 21:33:20 

In reply to JahJah

As Guyanese as potato bread.

NineMiles 2016-12-27 17:46:49 

Just watching George Michael perform a solo concert at the Palaise Garnier Opera House in Paris in 2012. This for his live Symphonica.

Boy, the guy could sing!

Maispwi 2016-12-27 18:25:25 

I knew you were waiting

Devin 2016-12-27 18:29:59 

One of the few artists who sounded as good on stage as he did in the studio, perhaps even better. What a voice, what a gift.

Live version of Faith

Raggs 2016-12-27 18:48:17 

Damn!This Is An Art Of Beauty

VIX 2016-12-27 21:31:56 

Waiting For That Day was always a favourite of mine

Devin 2016-12-28 14:17:15 

Pavarotti and George

RemainsUnknown 2016-12-28 14:57:51 

In reply to Devin

Pavarotti and George

Damn... what a paring of great voices.

Devin 2016-12-29 10:46:32