The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Most Balanced article on animal rights

deanjones 2016-12-28 16:12:19 

I have read so far and it is by a conservative, Charles Krauthammer

We often wonder how people of the past, including the most revered and refined, could have universally engaged in conduct now considered unconscionable. Such as slavery. How could the Founders, so sublimely devoted to human liberty, have lived with — some participating in — human slavery? Or fourscore years later, how could the saintly Lincoln, an implacable opponent of slavery, have nevertheless spoken of and believed in African inferiority?

While retrospective judgment tends to make us feel superior to our ancestors, it should really evoke humility. Surely some contemporary practices will be deemed equally abominable by succeeding generations. The only question is: Which ones?

I’ve long thought it will be our treatment of animals. I’m convinced that our great-grandchildren will find it difficult to believe that we actually raised, herded and slaughtered them on an industrial scale — for the eating.

doosra 2016-12-28 16:40:04 

In reply to deanjones

google Peter Singer

deanjones 2016-12-28 16:47:19 

In reply to doosra

Know he is. Read quite a few articles by him this year.

Halliwell 2016-12-28 16:58:59 

In reply to deanjones

First world problems; unrealistic and naive

The hypocrisy:
...but if you need to study cats’ eyes in order to spare some humans from blindness, do it. (Though not to test cosmetics.)

We can't even feed half the world with cheap basic carbs and fats
But the author sees a day when 'technology provides a cheap source of global protein'

Nonsense

Processed food with all those sulphites is terribly carcinogenic and to suggest artificial food one day replaces fresh food is stuff from the Jetsons' era

Sorry breds, I didn't get what you got from that article

doosra 2016-12-28 17:36:30 

In reply to deanjones

of all that i've read or listened to, Peter Singer is way ahead because his arguments are based on lots of good evidence and makes you think deeply about that stuff

deanjones 2016-12-28 19:22:24 

In reply to Halliwell

You think all that meat you eating from them factory farm don't give you cancer? Those animals are loaded up with antibiotics to keep them alive until slaughter. As Einstein famously said "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."

doosra 2016-12-28 19:47:07 

new study

Halliwell 2016-12-29 02:03:07 

In reply to deanjones

You are correct
But the cheap protein in the poor third world doesn't have those... generally

Cancer is more diagnosed in the first world not so? Third world people die from bacterial/viral disease, and heart/pancreas problems

deanjones 2016-12-29 09:05:07 

In reply to Halliwell

I agree, this crime is mainly happening in these developed countries. Nevertheless it is still occurring and must be exposed.