The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Corruption in Guyana

Darkness 2016-12-30 13:08:49 

So how come I do not see the usual suspects talking about Gy government corruption and racism now?

Things must be really good and looking up.

Curtis 2016-12-30 13:12:05 

In reply to Darkness

because corruption has ended and racism is no longer, duh

Curtis 2016-12-30 13:25:18 

In reply to Darkness

you doan tink so?

Runs 2016-12-30 13:26:20 

Returned to Paradise cool
All is well now

Curtis 2016-12-30 13:27:36 

In reply to Runs

tell he

Runs 2016-12-30 13:29:37 

In reply to Curtis

Nothing to rant and rave about anymore. The people got what they always wanted.
cool

Runs 2016-12-30 14:50:05 

In reply to Darkness

You hearing anything bout corruption these days?

Curtis 2016-12-30 14:51:55 

In reply to Runs

things were cleaned up, especially in Georgetown

Runs 2016-12-30 15:33:39 

In reply to Curtis

My brother pardnuh got cleaned out yesterday, remigrant businessman. Said the cops showed up 4 hrs later spent a few minutes,could not get any fingerprints. lol

steveo 2016-12-30 15:43:16 

In reply to Runs

Dude robbery is a booming industry in Guyana with special assistance from the govt. You are guaranteed to not be shot at, speedy trials with agreeable bails, and Christmas pardons.

People now have the opportunity to have paid training with no job prospects.

Couple days ago I see a robbery done so neatly and professional done, the power was cut to the building, the connection severed by a blow torch then the steel door was precisely cut by same blow torch. Man these guys are doing quality work.

Granger administration is leading the attack on the evil rich business community.

Runs 2016-12-30 16:15:13 

In reply to steveo

Said them guys even took his LR keys, like they planned to return, the Police were more occupied with chatting on cell phones than collecting evidence lol

Runs 2016-12-30 16:16:43 

In reply to steveo

Hope you know Red House gone hope they paint it in a better color it stood out sorely in my beautiful neighborhood. lol

Curtis 2016-12-30 16:46:43 

In reply to steveo

Granger administration is leading the attack on the evil rich business community.

don't confuse that with new form of taxation, Grab Donate Flourish (GDF initiative) that leverages on current and ex-members of the armed forces to enforce.

would like to see stats on so-called robberies, as the police have indicated crime is down

and besides, police are citizens too and should not be expected to work long hours during the Festive season

Curtis 2016-12-30 17:04:20 

In reply to Runs

Guyana voted for change didn't they? Are you saying things have not improved for the average citizen?

Runs 2016-12-30 17:15:49 

In reply to Curtis
Link Text
Ask them boys on here cool
Very dumb move I have to agree with BJ here

steveo 2016-12-30 18:30:35 

In reply to Runs

Hope you know Red House gone hope they paint it in a better color it stood out sorely in my beautiful neighborhood.

Such petty, counter-productive behaviour from our leaders. Classless man, absolutely classless. Lost faith in the good sense of these people.

Curtis 2016-12-30 18:32:42 

In reply to Runs

it would appear so. The present Govt is hell-bent on settling political scores, it seems.

Stabroek covers it

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo earlier today said that the PPP would challenge the government’s decision to revoke the lease of Red House to the Centre which was announced yesterday by President David Granger.

Jagdeo made the announcement at a press conference at Freedom House. He described the revocation of the lease as an “unbelievable act” and the product of a “warped mind”. He said an injunction will be sought from the court against the lease revocation.

Flanked by PPP/C MPs, Jagdeo said the lease revocation is a callous act when one considers the role that the late President Cheddi Jagan played in the pre-independence struggles, the fight for free and fair elections and for the development of Guyana. He said no one should deny Dr Jagan a special place in the hearts of all Guyanese and for generations to be able to follow his works.

Jagdeo contrasted the lease revocation with the manner in which the PPP/C government he headed had handled a freehold title application by the family of Forbes Burnham for five acres of land across from the Botanical Gardens. Jagdeo noted that this lease had been granted to the family and that the land was eventually sold for a large sum.

Runs 2016-12-30 18:53:44 

In reply to Curtis

A foolish thing to do and may prove to be political suicide
The opposition is milking it for all it's worth on social media
Them boys on here are not touching this thread at all, can you remember how they used to jump down my throat during the previous administration? lol

Curtis 2016-12-31 10:58:43 

In reply to Runs

the protests and anti-protests, the Facebook reaction, maan, thought that was all a thing of the past

Runs 2016-12-31 11:42:51 

In reply to Curtis

Social media reaches a far and wide audience instantaneously and are being used by Politicians to push their agendas. Forego using at your peril.
Just look at the recent US elections.

Curtis 2016-12-31 12:00:25 

Peeping Tom sums it up rather nicely

Bullying tactics have returned.

Runs 2016-12-31 12:03:57 

In reply to Curtis

KN becoming anti govt? Noo who would have thought lol

Curtis 2016-12-31 12:39:56 

In reply to Runs
Watch for a different shit thrower on poor Freddie
lol lol

Ridge 2016-12-31 12:41:09 

This Government stealing from the dead now?

Runs 2016-12-31 12:52:39 

Link Text
Dance the night away and live for love lol

Norm 2016-12-31 20:00:17 

Aren't street crimes, such as "choke-and-rob" in Guyana, a symptom of economic desperation by sectors of the population?

We saw during the huckster days that resulted from draconian banning of imported goods by the Burnham government of the period, for example, that this sector could abandon street crimes for other economic opportunities.

Is the current upsurge of crime ultimately a plea from the economically desperate in Guyana for better economic and social opportunities?

Does this mean, in turn, that the current government is actually failing its own supporters, and is appeasing them by not punishing criminals as they should?

With oil wealth around the corner, the distribution of wealth in Guyana would become an even more pressing social issue. Current indications are that the "desperate" will continue to be on their own, just as they were under the British, and then under their own Guyanese.

So, there will be even more crime when the oil money rolls in, because that is the only way a significant part of the Guyana population knows to make a living.

As things would have it, most of this desperate sector are Black - just perfect for those who conveniently think racist - including those who profit from the racist divide.

Curtis 2016-12-31 20:32:38 

In reply to Norm

that might be the case, but the scars, such as murder, terror, fear etc. can produce lasting effects, which explains a significant part of the large ex-pat community

Norm 2016-12-31 21:15:36 

In reply to Curtis

scars, such as murder, terror, fear etc. can produce lasting effects, which explains a significant part of the large ex-pat community

"Significant"? How many actually fled "murder, terror and fear"? The vast majority of Guyanese, probably 95%, left Guyana voluntarily, for better economic opportunity.

Guyana suffers not from a lack of natural resources, but from bad politics coupled with an economic system, designed a long time ago by colonists to exploit people. Today's politicians still behave like colonists, with a "we and they" mentality.

Runs 2016-12-31 21:47:41 

In reply to Norm

Agreed cuz you are spot on, Happy New Year

Norm 2016-12-31 22:05:19 

In reply to Runs

Happy New Year to you too!

Five hours to go here on the US West Coast.

steveo 2016-12-31 22:48:35 

This Red House issue is boiling over.

Renegotiating the lease of the state land is not the problem, the govt insistence to re-designate the building for all other past presidents is problem.

The building was already being used as Jagan Research Center for many years. Even Walter Rodney has his memorial landmark in the Walter Rodney Archives; and he was never a president. No one should covet Cheddi Jagan this honor. He is the foremost leader responsible for Guyana's independence and his contribution to this country is unparalleled. I dont see he should suffer such a marginalizing of his legacy.

The ruling AFC/APNU govt should realize that Cheddi Jagan supporters make up over 50% of the population and this can only be interpreted as an attack on their history.

This is either the epitome of stupidity in ruling a multi-ethnic society, or poorly conceived political attack on the PPP.

Runs 2016-12-31 23:49:16 

In reply to steveo

Maliciousness cool

Kay 2017-01-01 01:02:37 

In reply to Norm

Aren't street crimes, such as "choke-and-rob" in Guyana, a symptom of economic desperation by sectors of the population?

No Sa. It's a predatory mentality developed by people who do not want to work or looking for a quick dollar...

steveo 2017-01-01 01:11:03 

In reply to Kay

No Sa. It's a predatory mentality developed by people who do not want to work or looking for a quick dollar..

I have observed that MENTALITY more than once.

steveo 2017-01-01 01:18:32 

In reply to Runs

Maliciousness

Hypocrisy at its finest. This was the unity party.

People are beginning to show their true colors, Imran Khan, facebook personality and the Prime Minister's assistant showing edited 1 second video to chastise PPP member, he left out the whole 10 minutes and the entire context of the occurrence showing the truly wrong party.

All of these people, who pretend to be intellectuals and above the petty politics are exposing themselves as completely biased and partisan.

Runs 2017-01-01 02:40:18 

In reply to steveo

Politics is a dirty game

Runs 2017-01-01 09:50:05 

Link Text

Ralphie now crying
lol

steveo 2017-01-01 10:16:50 

Dont think this will move granger, but if you are so inclined, sign the petition to preserve Red House as it is: link

Dukes 2017-01-01 12:03:31 

In reply to steveo

Renegotiating the lease of the state land is not the problem,

Can you mention that it was a 99 year lease and the rent was $1000 G dollars per month which is a grand total of $4.80 USD.

I suppose you would have been comfortable if the APNU/AFC Government had done the same with the Residence for the Forbes Burnham Research Center.And charged $7.50USD per month because of inflation???
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Runs 2017-01-01 12:29:41 

In reply to Dukes

Did they need to make that a national issue? Couldn't they have fixed behind the scenes knowing the sensitivity of the issue and the terrible ethnic relations between the 2 major groups?
cool
Terrible Public Relations

Curtis 2017-01-01 12:45:39 

In reply to Dukes

Can you mention that it was a 99 year lease and the rent was $1000 G dollars per month which is a grand total of $4.80 USD.

I suppose you would have been comfortable if the APNU/AFC Government had done the same with the Residence for the Forbes Burnham Research Center.And charged $7.50USD per month because of inflation???

therein lies the problem
it ought not to be a comparative assessment
I was under the impression that Dr Jagan was a noted, distinguished Guyanese whose contribution and works through his lifetime merited such a facility

would the Republican president downgrade the Jimmy Carter Foundation because Carter was a Democrat?

Curtis 2017-01-01 12:47:53 

In reply to Runs

as I mentioned above, so Jagan is a PPP hero and not a National one?

Curtis 2017-01-01 12:49:17 

Guyanese are fcuked up mentally

Darkness 2017-01-01 12:58:19 

In reply to Dukes

You are talking absolute nonsense! How much did the Burnham family pay for the land by Botanic gardens that they then turned around and sold for a massive price? You are too willing to excuse this government for its racism, incompetence, corruption and outright thievery.

The PPP had racist elements, and were corrupt but at least, even if it were for pure optics, they made an attempt to reflect the composition of the population in its business of running the country. If you look at most pictures of official business of the current administration the representation seems to present that the population is at least 80 to 90 % one race.

Tell me which Guyanese born leader have done more for Guyana than Dr. Cheddi Jagan? A man that lived and died like a peasant, not a drop of opulence in his lifestyle even though he could do so if he wanted to as a dentist, instead he sacrificed for his country.

Man the PNC will never change have always been bullies and will continue to be so and if anyone stands in their way, regardless of race, they will be indiscriminately trampled.

Runs 2017-01-01 13:39:22 

In reply to Curtis

Should be a national one but both you and I know many do not view him as such wink

steveo 2017-01-01 14:33:50 

In reply to Dukes

Is money really the issue here Dukes?

If so renegotiate the lease to a fair price. I am sure the PPP has members that willing to foot the bill.

Why the insistence that the building be re-purposed to accommodate all past presidents, dictators and all? After its already been used for Jagan and synonymous with Jagan?

I will tell you and all the other dishonest skunts why, because they intend to erase and marginalize Jagans legacy.

Darkness 2017-01-01 14:37:24 

In reply to steveo

they intend to erase and marginalize Jagans legacy.

BINGO! but the dishonest intellectual sknuts will not admit to it.

This has the signs of a potential brutal dictatorship.

jcveletta 2017-01-01 14:52:57 

In reply to Norm

Thank you for giving an objective analysis mate.

Dukes 2017-01-01 19:48:30 

In reply to Runs

Did they need to make that a national issue? Couldn't they have fixed behind the scenes knowing the sensitivity of the issue and the terrible ethnic relations between the 2 major groups?

Totally agree.To lease the building and land for $1000 G dollars per month was criminal but their approach allows the PPP to talk about other issues and blur their own malfeasance.

Dukes 2017-01-01 19:58:18 

In reply to Curtis

You really think that the PPP having a 99 year lease for a building and land for $1000 G dollars per month is anything other than obscene???

It has nothing to do with whether Cheddi Jagan is good or bad.

You guys have a fantastic facility for conflating issues and obfuscating reality.

Dukes 2017-01-01 20:06:02 

In reply to Darkness

You are too willing to excuse this government for its racism, incompetence, corruption and outright thievery.

Where have I excused this government???

You are doing that with the previous government.When I point out the $1000 G dollar a month rent,you tell me about PNC teefing as though that excuses this issue.Nobody could say the PPP teef because the PNC teef too.That is your position.I am pissed that with all the teefing by both PNC and PPP the country is being royally screwed.

pelon 2017-01-01 20:16:17 

In reply to Dukes & Runs

Totally agree.

YES, "fixing things behind the scenes" is wonderful, yet in direct conflict with the transformative democracy needed in our region.
This, a blatant act of opposition annihilation, perpetuation of political stagnation I thought - correction - hoped Granger was above.

Runs 2017-01-01 20:58:13 

In reply to Dukes

Agreed, the citizens are the ones who suffer

steveo 2017-01-02 13:17:39 

In reply to Runs

The Amaila falls project was reviewed by Norway and found to be viable and the ONLY way to realistically have Guyana come off fossil fuel for energy, I think this is the second such report by an independent body in the past 6 months

I myself, with all the noise from the media, particularly the Kaiteur; was not 100% sold on this idea.

This is one of the projects the current govt was against when in opposition, I am waiting to see what they will do now.

Runs 2017-01-02 16:25:22 

In reply to steveo

Vindictive politics has led to a failed state

Emir 2017-01-02 16:30:52 

In reply to Runs

Vindictive politics has led to a failed state

Why do you allude "vindictive politics" to only one political party?

You were silent in your criticism during the last administration despite serious allegations of massive corruption and outright racism against Guyanese of African decent?

Curtis 2017-01-02 20:21:51 

In reply to Emir

you sounding vindictive there, bro

runout 2017-01-02 20:54:25 

In reply to Emir

Was there outright racism during the ppp admin? Do you care to qualify what you mean by outright racism?

Some of you folks are tripping over yourselves in trying to demonize the ppp. The people of Guyana will be the best to judge this.

Emir 2017-01-02 21:14:19 

In reply to Curtis

you sounding vindictive there, bro

No, I don't have any dog in this race, but I needed to point out the madness of some "Indo Guyanese"

runout 2017-01-02 21:21:20 

In reply to Emir

Whilst you are at it, don't forget to point out the madness of all humanity, as it appears to be of keen interest to you.

Runs 2017-01-02 22:09:58 

In reply to Emir

Did I say only one party? Both er all are guilty of such, it is a good old boys club, settling grievances and tit for tat.
I knew the last party had corruption within, but felt for the greater good of the country and it's peoples they had better vision and offered more also had more capable Technocrats.

runout 2017-01-02 22:22:18 

In reply to Runs

Bro, the stories emanating from guyana are foreboding...not much happening economically. High, unchecked crime rate, and massive taxation, and wasteful spending, all makes for poor and depressing future. The government sole achievement to date is to keep blaming the opposition. After sometime, they have to stop blaming and start leading.

Runs 2017-01-03 09:58:09 

In reply to runout

By 2020 all of our oil revenues will go to fund the massive debt build-up. Bookmark this. lol

Kay 2017-01-03 12:56:46 

In reply to Runs

By 2020 all of our oil revenues will go to fund the massive debt build-up

Keep dreaming and count chickens.....

anthonyp 2017-01-04 09:52:05 

So the Minister pelting down people with bottles now.. real classy redface

Runs 2017-01-04 17:05:38 

In reply to anthonyp

Why are they not charging her? Surely she will not get away with that? shock

Dukes 2017-01-04 17:09:57 

In reply to anthonyp

Which Minister is this?

Emir 2017-01-04 17:34:22 

In reply to Runs

Did I say only one party?

You didn't have to because your absence of criticism of the last administration and your silence was deafening.

I am asking you to dig deep into your faith and be honest: Is there racial bias when judging the current administration?

Runs 2017-01-04 18:05:51 

In reply to Emir

HYCGo read the archives first before passing judgement
wink

Emir 2017-01-04 18:17:01 

In reply to Runs

As I said, dig deep into your faith wink

And I did not cuss you or your mother so not sure why you choose to cuss my mother rolleyes

Runs 2017-01-04 18:23:42 

In reply to Emir

Fixed, dude fcukoff stick to TnT and India wink

Emir 2017-01-04 19:49:16 

In reply to Runs

So when confronted with your racism you become vile .
Dig deep in to your faith wink

Curtis 2017-01-04 19:56:45 

In reply to Emir

Honest question - are YOU a racist?

You have rambled on here about peeps of a particular race/religion you call GOPIO, you seem to relish linking crime from India - that's a bit of an abnormal thing for a US-based Trini to do.

Digging deep - say exactly how you feel. State your case.

Runs 2017-01-04 20:15:53 

In reply to Emir

Go check the archives before labeling folks gramps razz

Emir 2017-01-04 21:29:42 

In reply to Runs

OK, I will let you set your own record straight: Simple question, were you as critical and race conscious of the last Guyana administration?

My recollection is you have more negative posting of this administration than the previous and your comments are racially marinated.

runout 2017-01-04 22:18:15 

In reply to Emir

Perhaps Runs is more critical of this administration because the campaigned strongly on stamping out corruption. They understood all the problems, and they had solutions for it. Never did they say one of the solutions was to compete with the corruption they wanted to satmp out.

And after all this time, they are yet to unearth any corruption. Seems like if you tell a lie often enough, you will find truth in it. lol lol

Runs 2017-01-05 11:08:56 

In reply to runout

I have to put that moron on permanent ignore, what is hilarious is him labeling me. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black lol

Runs 2017-01-05 11:14:46 

In reply to Emir

Point out my racially marinated posts wink

Curtis 2017-01-07 07:27:39 

In reply to Runs

Remember when you said you didn't like Burnham?
lol

some GT peeps do get upset if Burnham is criticised, which was an awakening for me and many non-Guyanese, Caribbean nationals

goes to show strength of political allegiance can overlook many a shortcoming, like we boy Donnie T lol

also, in these racially-divided environments, blinders go on, and opposing parties are so far apart it's mind-boggling
that said, it creates a racial rift where it ought not to, as staunch party supporters in places like Jamaica and Dominica, show the same traits for political parties that are not wholly racially-based
lol lol

Runs 2017-01-07 07:39:59 

In reply to Curtis

Not as a person but as a politician, some of my family members were very close to him. My dad knew him personally. cool

Curtis 2017-01-07 07:41:08 

In reply to Runs
he was aight; nuff people dealt with him on a personal level
dicktator though
lol

Runs 2017-01-07 19:32:08 

Link Text
More corruption exposed, this government campaigned on cleaning up corruption. Guess they meant they will clean up. razz

steveo 2017-01-08 09:07:20 

In reply to Runs

Watch the proceedings, these guys are hell bent on going with solar and wind and NOT hydro, something tells me that they already have people ready to get the solar contracts.

steveo 2017-01-08 12:10:45 

Ralph Ramkarran on the Norconsult Report

They dont want to do the Amaila Falls Project but they still want the money that was being put into it

runout 2017-01-08 19:27:42 

The writing is on the wall. For those who are hell bent on denying the facts, well too bad. There is. No point in obfuscating, denying or otherwise sugar coating.

Runs 2017-01-08 19:41:52 

I cringe to think what will happen after they start oil exports.
The sugar industry is slowly dying I hope the workers are re-training for other means of earning a livelihood.

runout 2017-01-08 19:50:21 

In reply to Runs

Wishful thinking bro. These guys don't see the importance of subsidizing sugar. Sugar , from inception faced many challenges economically. Hence the constant search for cheap labor. Our history doesn't lie.

Dukes 2017-01-09 09:21:50 

In reply to steveo

Ralph Ramkarran is a very credible and intelligent guy, whose honesty is unquestioned. There is no doubt that the situation is quite complex and requires careful implementation or else it would be a financial disaster for the country. I think the present government is afraid that they do not have the technical skills and human resources to successfully pull off this project, hence their reluctance to proceed. Mind you I think that not only are they prudent to recognize that fact but I also think that the current PPP players are also incapable to successfully implement what is required.
Our country has really been hollowed out in terms of competent technicians and administrators and all we have is a bunch of incompetents and thieves in both major parties.

Runs 2017-01-09 09:23:58 

In reply to runout

Have to divest the sugar industry, the world is moving away from cane sugar using many cheaper alternatives. Studies are showing it is not good for health so people are using less.

There will be less demand for it so the government needs to plan for the long term.

Runs 2017-01-09 09:24:58 

In reply to Dukes

I agree with you. cool

runout 2017-01-09 09:35:06 

We use the term thieves, especially as it pertains to the previous administration quite loosely. The current administration has done an extensive audit of the previous administration, costing hundred of millions, and this thieving that is alleged is yet to be unearthed.
My question to you all is: Why do we keep calling people thieves when we can's support that with facts? Or are we comfortable with maligning people to suit our whims?
What if someone were to call 'you' a thief, and other keep repeating the name thief in reference to you, and so now you are known as a thief, only because I say that you are a thief?

Dukes 2017-01-09 09:45:48 

In reply to runout

The current administration has done an extensive audit of the previous administration, costing hundred of millions, and this thieving that is alleged is yet to be unearthed.

The conclusion you seem to draw from that is that no thieving took place. Knowing what has been taking place in Guyana, my take is that it demonstrates the current government's incompetence and lack of proper investigators and prosecutors.

runout 2017-01-09 09:58:11 

In reply to Dukes
Ok Dudes, so since you can't prove it, then it means that you haven't established guilt, but are willing to bet, based on your whim, that these people are thieves. You have the chartered accountant performing FORENSIC audits, and they came up empty.

So what do you call the people who we know are squandering hundreds of millions today? Are they thieves too? Or are they mere incompetents?

Some people I tell you!!!

steveo 2017-01-09 10:01:38 

In reply to Dukes

I think the present government is afraid that they do not have the technical skills and human resources to successfully pull off this project, hence their reluctance to proceed.

How are they drilling fir oil?

Of course we require outside knowledge and experience. We have good relations with china who have the largest hydro project in the world, do a kind of exchange program...look do i have to think of everything. this is where the fancy language stops and the power of will starts.

runout 2017-01-09 10:11:09 

In reply to steveo

The country seems to be on a fast track, with slippery slopes. No one seems to be in charge.

Dukes 2017-01-09 14:04:11 

In reply to runout

You have the chartered accountant performing FORENSIC audits, and they came up empty.

That is a TRUMPIAN statement.
Nobody has been hauled before the courts as yet so you equate that with they found everything was clean.
I suppose that Governor Christie is an altar boy in your eyes as he was not charged with anything for the Bridge affair.

runout 2017-01-09 14:11:47 

In reply to Dukes

Not sure why you inserted Christie and bridge gate...however I can understand your need to be reaching. Now you have to make up your mind:
Are they guilty, then why are they not before the courts?
Nobody has been hauled before the courts because there is nothing to haul before the courts.

Don't you think your Flapnu-ite would have loved to assail the PPP-ites, and embarrass them?

steveo 2017-01-12 09:00:08 

Oh the irony, GoodLife supermarket robbed just after being open for just one month