The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Is it Culture or Color that is ...

WestDem 2016-12-30 20:52:08 

Killing WI cricket? Spoke to lots of cricketers from the region and they think it's based on de color depending on which region you' re in!

D.C. Is a bleacher? cool

silver 2016-12-30 21:23:57 

In reply to WestDem

Boy you can talk some smack

Prako 2016-12-30 22:40:36 

In reply to WestDem

But in the current set up, all the participating players in the region are black-skinned

Emir 2017-01-01 09:20:51 

In reply to Prako

lol

It seems somehow, when "Indo Guyanese" look in the mirror they see a "whiter shade" than what their natural black skin color actually is.

All of the "Indo" players of Guyanese decent have the same complexion and some may even be darker than the Afro decent players.

As far as "culture" I do not know what difference they have- it is almost identical, they speak the same way, have the same bad habits and probably good habits as well, dress the same way, listen to Jamaican and Trini music the same way and eat and cook the same food, the same way.

Runs 2017-01-01 09:38:30 

In reply to Emir

All Indo Guyanese do not have the same complexion, do all Indo Trinidadians have?
Go do some research, you will notice it varies as per Indian state their ancestors were from and even within those groups there are various shades of brown. You do write some, "tripe, " every now and again. lol
Are Shiv Chanderpaul and Faoud Bacchus the same shade? rolleyes

Emir 2017-01-01 10:08:14 

In reply to Runs

My dear brother in faith, sure, no two persons have exact identical complexion, there are always micro variations that is indistinguishable in the bigger scheme of things.

Only racists or color conscious peeps notice these differences, such as caste folks in India for example,

The pertinent point is what poster Prako made n reply to the feller who started this thread- that is the color of the Guyanese players is the same smile

Prako 2017-01-02 12:07:47 

In reply to Emir

Emir,

You are correct. I am not sure what Guyanese see in the mirror as it pertains to colour. There is no distinction in colour to Carl Hooper, Bishoo, Nagamootoo, Chanderpaul, Reon King. To me everybody looks very similar.

In cricket you have the white countries (England, Australia, NZ) then you have the black countries/teams (WI, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka) and with South Africa you have half the team white and half the team black.

Although England is becoming almost a quarter black team with quite a few players of Pakistani (which is genetically Indian before the Partition era) heritage.

Emir 2017-01-02 12:25:33 

In reply to Prako

It continues to worry me that a significant percent of "Indo Guyanese"- those in Guyana and those who migrated to Richmond Hill, a town in Queens, an outerboro in NYC, still continue to live by racial prejudices against their Afro Guyanese brothers.

On the other hand, Afro Guyanese are trying so hard to make their country s better place to live for all.

I saw posting in here where they are discussing corruption in Guyana- but no such discussion and bad mouthing when their "Indo- Hindu" dominated party was in power.

ray 2017-01-02 12:34:25 

In reply to Emir

you lack knowledge about Guyana politics...you should do yourself a favor and shut yuh anti Hindu mouth

openning 2017-01-02 12:42:36 

Can we all get along?

WestDem 2017-01-02 13:07:46 

In reply to openning

No we can't.... it's what makes this world the way it is! Color blindness is real my friend. Compare Emir's post to his real self! lol lol lol

steveo 2017-01-02 13:11:21 

In reply to Emir

I saw posting in here where they are discussing corruption in Guyana- but no such discussion and bad mouthing when their "Indo- Hindu" dominated party was in power.

Maybe your eyes need to be checked

Emir 2017-01-02 13:33:28 

In reply to steveo

Well show me differently

anandgb 2017-01-02 14:01:45 

In reply to Emir

You are an idiot if you believe that tripe.the PPP maybe have 20 % Hindus in it if so much.

Emir 2017-01-02 16:38:38 

In reply to anandgb

You are an idiot if you believe that tripe.the PPP maybe have 20 % Hindus in it if so much.

Perhaps I am an idiot but the 20% was the power center and the movers and shakers of the last administration

uton 2017-01-02 20:23:35 

In reply to Runs

Are Shiv Chanderpaul and Faoud Bacchus the same shade?

I think he means there are two shades, a Western European shade and a not Western European shade.

granite 2017-01-04 15:02:37 

Just out of curiosity, who was the last light skinned West Indian player. lol

pelon 2017-01-04 16:09:03 

In reply to WestDem

Is it Culture or Color that is ...
Neither. You can layer every established societal issue on top of the next, but with WI cricket the single biggest threat to our cricket is administrative ineptitude and self-service. To pilfer a phrase: "Crabs in a barrel"

Side Note: If an athlete chooses to bleach his skin, as foolish as that is: it is NOT to get selected. Ok, so leave that alone.

WestDem 2017-01-04 16:48:46 

In reply to pelon

Well...The reason this thread was started is based on an argument that a few of us were discussing as to what really is the cause of our cricket being not only stagnant but the quality of the players and getting worse every year....

Some said its a administrative issue, others think it is Regional and I think its is a reason at the grass root level....for example...City cricketers are preferred over Country ones even though the talent beg to differ....Some argue players are getting selected based on political affiliation....you see any truth in this?

natty_forever 2017-01-04 17:01:48 

In reply to ray... then enlighten him, bro. Lets show love for 2017.

natty_forever 2017-01-04 17:02:59 

Why I would not be surprised if all the Muddies responding are of Indo decent. big grin

natty_forever 2017-01-04 17:04:47 

In reply to WestDem

City cricketers are preferred over Country ones even though the talent beg to differ....Some argue players are getting selected based on political affiliation....you see any truth in this?
... I would sat before Tamar's stint. During it, things did change, IMO.

WestDem 2017-01-04 17:07:34 

In reply to natty_forever

Dude...I play fuh ah Yaadie team fuh almost 15 years and most ah de players are based in Manchester and they also complain about getting a raw deal....this color thing is more about different skin color even though they are of the same ethnic makeup.... lol lol lol

Weh Odean Brown from?

natty_forever 2017-01-04 17:09:56 

In reply to WestDem

I play fuh ah Yaadie team fuh almost 15 years
... that was last century I bet.

lol

Where Tamar come from not to mention JT.
big grin

WestDem 2017-01-04 17:11:58 

I am from Country and player 1st Division fuh my Avatar...Our best batsman Rabindranauth Seeram scored a number of Tons in Trials but never get selected for Mudland...the year he went and played for GCC, guess what? He was Muddie number three/four batsman fuh a few years after dat.... lol lol

WestDem 2017-01-04 17:12:47 

Who he played for in Senior Cup?

Emir 2017-01-04 17:35:16 

In reply to granite

Sanford

JahJah 2017-01-05 06:12:42 

In reply to Runs

All Indo Guyanese do not have the same complexion, do all Indo Trinidadians have?

Neither do all Afro-West Indians, Afro-Americans etc etc.

natty_forever 2017-01-05 07:24:44 

In reply to WestDem... St. Catherine CC

I think I can say, that was a thing of the past.

googley 2017-01-05 12:26:11 

In reply to WestDem

you are correct when talking about region matters. History has shown that in Berbice players from Port Mourant, Ablion, RH Canje etc (the estate towns) got favored over other (better) talents!

It GT, you have to play for GCC or Everest to be recognized!

I suspect its the same in the Islands!

Narper 2017-01-05 12:32:31 

In reply to WestDem

Wuh bout Tage?

Weh he stand? big grin

no man's land?

googley 2017-01-05 12:34:23 

In reply to Emir

It continues to worry me that a significant percent of "Indo Guyanese"- those in Guyana and those who migrated to Richmond Hill, a town in Queens, an outerboro in NYC, still continue to live by racial prejudices against their Afro Guyanese brothers.

says the man who is obsessed to point out flaws with Hindus and bad news in India.

what they say about those in glass house again??? wink

Emir 2017-01-05 17:31:40 

In reply to googley

says the man who is obsessed to point out flaws with Hindus and bad news in India.

Show me proof or shut up.... show me once where I "pointed flaws with Hindus." Never happened.

Runs 2017-01-05 17:37:28 

In reply to Emir

Am awaiting your response in the backroom kind sir cool

granite 2017-01-06 15:11:15 

In reply to JahJah
Neither do all Africans...North Africans.

lol lol lol

granite 2017-01-06 15:22:31 

I read a magazine about American black female singers.The managers thought that it would be nice if their colour could be lighter,just their face and the parts of their thighs that could be seen.The management made a recipe of a mixture of lemon juice,honey and olive oil,to be rubbed on with cotton wool,it was said to bring the colour to 3 shades lighter.

WestDem 2017-01-06 19:29:54 

In reply to granite

Was that the start of bleaching just to get accepted? I actually hear de WI professionally and socially is accepting lighter color these days?

googley 2017-01-09 10:11:19 

In reply to Emir

show me once...