The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Calyso freestyle

Oilah 2016-12-31 09:45:03 

What is the name we say when calysonians freestyle and battle each other with lyrics...cyan remember it to save mi life

analyst-kid 2016-12-31 10:03:23 

In reply to Oilah

EXTEMPO

Oilah 2016-12-31 10:09:40 

In reply to analyst-kid

Tenks as I get older it's getting harder to retrieve files on command from my mental data base
sad smile smile

bravos 2016-12-31 10:43:21 

In reply to Oilah

Extempo/Extempore. cool

Emir 2016-12-31 11:14:15 

In reply to bravos

Thanks for the link

In reply to Oilah

Nice post/ nice topic

This is what I call real calypso not the modern soca stuff that seem to have taken over.

I mean how many times can you enjoy "jump an wine," "graab something and wine," wine and roll" etc etc

bravos 2016-12-31 11:31:38 

In reply to Emir

I mean how many times can you enjoy "jump an wine," "graab something and wine," wine and roll" etc etc

On de road..

Oilah 2016-12-31 11:35:56 

In reply to Emir

I am a lyrics and melody man so I love love love the older calysonians. Dem funny as hell witty, cutting, slack and all dat wid sweet melody. Needless to say I love Sparrow Kitch Shadow Rudder and many more but I am not a fan of de "exercise music". Don't get me wrong I like tuh wukup like anybody else but you can give me great dance music with good lyrics and melody...Flag Woman comes immediately to mind. "Get Something and Wave" was a turning point in my mind and even though I loved de song it always feels as if the trend was then to a more hard jump up beat with less and less entertaining lyrics. There is no kind of music that makes me happy like calypso. Up until de early 2000s I knew most of dem but I en up wid the music that much now.

Emir 2016-12-31 14:18:29 

In reply to Oilah

Well said. Kitch, Sparrow, Lord Nelson, Chalkie, there fellers are champs.

This young feller who dem young people like, , Montano or whatever is name is, I wish he learn from these masters.