Ray is correct. He's gone. Sad news. RIP to a great artiste

bravos 2017-01-02 14:36:45 

In reply to imusic

Grew up hearing about this guy...

RIP

RoyK 2017-01-02 14:46:06 

http://www.looptt.com/content/legendary-chutney-singer-anand-yankaran-dies

Chutney icon Anand Yankaran is dead.

Loop understands that Yankaran died on Monday morning from a suspected heart attack.

He had been ailing for some time following a stroke in 2008 in New York where he had migrated.

Speaking to Loop about his passing, George Singh, founder of the Chutney Soca Monarch said Yankaran last performed in 2014 in the competition.

"Anand Yankaran was a legend, an icon. He was someone in the same league as Sundar Popo. When you speak about Sundar, you speak about Anand, they carved out what is today known as Chutney and Chutney Soca. He still has songs that are played in parties up to today, we are really going to miss him, he is a great loss for Trinidad and Tobago," said Singh.

Yankaran is known for a string of hits, among them “Malineya”, “Humsa Bolaway”, “Laylo Laylo”, Zndabad Trinbago” “Gunguroo Bajay” “Indra Puri Say”, “Soch Samajh Abhiman”, “Ranga Dall”, “Bola Baba”, “Kya Kar Mai” and “Janay Maha”. His biggest hit, according to Singh is "Nanda Baba".

Emir 2017-01-02 15:17:46 

In reply to RoyK

Yankaran is known for a string of hits, among them “Malineya”, “Humsa Bolaway”, “Laylo Laylo”, Zndabad Trinbago” “Gunguroo Bajay” “Indra Puri Say”, “Soch Samajh Abhiman”, “Ranga Dall”, “Bola Baba”, “Kya Kar Mai” and “Janay Maha”. His biggest hit, according to Singh is "Nanda Baba"

RIP Mr. Yankaran, he was a wonderful artiste.

The songs you cited above are all folk songs from Eastern Utter Pradesh and Bihar states in India, indeed a couple are bajans or Hindu devotional songs.

Yankaran took these folk songs and music that came to Trinidad via indentureship and remade/remix them giving entertainment and enjoyment to Trinis and Guyanese of South Asian heritage and others who took to the genre
Had it not been for his work, these South Asian Bhojpuri folk songs would have been lost to Trinis and others who now proudly claim it as their own.

I know Indians from Eastern UP, Bihar and other parts of India who appreciate and enjoy the spicy remix which Yankaran gave to their indigenous music.

He will be missed.

Chrissy 2017-01-02 15:32:05 

In reply to Emir

Yep - he was an icon in his own right

Runs 2017-01-02 16:22:52 

RIP

bravos 2017-01-02 16:34:53 

Look someting..

johndom90 2017-01-02 18:11:01 

He was someone in the same league as Sundar Popo.
In reply to RoyK

Strongly disagree with the article on this point. Sundar at the time was a rebel, outcast,

with this new music he was bringing to the public, cussed by all and

sundry...Sundar...Shorty....they were in the same league.

Yankaran was an icon and made a name for himself...but same league as Sundar?????

imusic 2017-01-03 15:08:50 

In reply to johndom90

Perhaps in terms of "reach"

But good comparison with Shorty and Sundar Popo. Both trailblazers in their respective art forms while Anand was a different type of trailblazer.

That said...both Shorty's and Sundar's "products" have also evolved.....so I wouldn't be so harsh on Anand

johndom90 2017-01-03 20:00:08 

In reply to imusic

First time I notice Yankaran was in a TV advert for stag beer back in the day. I suggest

that was the first time most of non chutney fans in TT did as well. I'm not saying he

did not do great stuff with the music during his career, but to get Sundar status you had to burn the midnight oil

and break ceiling with a bang..preferably throughout the Caribbean and even reach back to India.

Sundar...Shorty...Kitchener...Sparrow... were/are my personal icons/ trailblazers.