The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Cricket History CXC Subject

Runs 2017-01-03 13:44:13 

Curriculum. Because of the strong history of cricket as a subject, we thought it would have been an important partnership with CXC to ensure that the history of West Indies Cricket is being carried on - that people understand how important it is, whether it's social, business or political. If a young student passes through the region and does Physical Education. They'll understand not just the physical part of it, but the historical and the social context as well," she said. Beckford was a member of the panel that looked at the Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE) syllabus for Physical Education. "Physical Education is being looked at broadly. For example, at the SBA (School Based Assessment) level, you could jolly well do a cricket project as part of your assessment. It's just to get it as a subject matter for P.E," she says. She adds that CXC already has a responsibility to fostering Caribbean unity. "Caribbean unity [can already be seen] through CXC, CARICOM, Caribbean exports, and all those organisations that seek to unify the region. "CXC's is from an academic development perspective and cricket is a topical subject. The history is important. It's not just about pride; it's about carrying on the legacy of what cricket has done and what it continues to do for the Caribbean." Beckford and the WICB have been meeting with CXC in order to make curriculum addition a reality and she says talks between both organisations are still on-going. First Published In The Jamaica Star.]Link Text

birdseye 2017-01-03 14:18:19 

In reply to Runs

Did not read it too carefully – but the gist I get – it seem like a good thing.

Chrissy 2017-01-03 14:28:18 

In reply to Runs

Raised the idea 20 years ago

Chrissy 2017-01-03 14:29:57 

Based on our study in Jamaica, I'd argue that the average Jamaican knows very little about West Indies cricket and cares even less.

matchstick 2017-01-03 15:19:49 

In reply to Runs

Good that the WICB is pushing for this.

In general though I don't think there is much value for a student in this as a stand alone subject. Maybe a more broader scope of Caribbean sports history with a focus on Cricket is a better direction.

matchstick 2017-01-03 15:20:38 

In reply to Chrissy

Raised the idea 20 years ago

SMH...

Story of your life...

"The world is not changed by those who say but those who do..."

camos 2017-01-03 15:47:03 

WASTE OF TIME , NEED MORE MATH!

Khaga 2017-01-03 15:48:46 

In reply to camos

lol

jelfew 2017-01-03 16:09:44 

In reply to Runs

The post is painful to read. However I would very much love to see this as part of our cxc studies.