The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Drunk driving in Barbados

openning 2017-01-05 12:57:19 

A 52-year-old man appeared in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court Wednesday charged with three traffic offences.

Brian Patrick Foster, of No.2 Club Morgan Ridge, Christ Church, was not required to plead to the charges of driving a motorcar, XK391, on St Lawrence Gap while under the influence of drink or drugs to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle.

Foster, a manager, was also accused of driving the same vehicle without due care and attention and consideration for other persons using the same road on Jan 2, 2017.]A 52-year-old man appeared in the District ‘A’ Magistrates’ Court Wednesday charged with three traffic offences.

Its about time

pelon 2017-01-05 13:34:58 

In reply to openning

Foster (happy to see this step, file under: we have come a long way)

About time, but lord knows many many many many people (coughing loudly) about should not throw stones in a glass house (not you brother openning, your rum days are over).

the right thing is to change and/or establish definitions for the courts to uphold. I am not sure the legal limits are established. It is no joke the grave harm this act can cause.

Interestingly, CGI (insurance) had an initiative last year crop-over giving free breathalyzers test at all major fetes... not sure if it had any shift in the awareness...

SnoopDog 2017-01-05 14:27:02 

In reply to pelon

They introduced breathalyzers in Guyana recently and in Trinidad a few years before. Of course the locals are up in arms about being harassed by the police when they get pulled over leaving the rum shop. But as you said, these things take time before a cultural shift occurs. Hopefully in a few years we will start to see the numbers go down on DUI accidents and fatalities in the region.

openning 2017-01-05 15:56:33 

In reply to pelon

Having been around alcohol for over 40 years, I understood my limit when drinking my favourite beverages, Scotch, not Rum or wine, and the vicarious liability when I was home and my staff was working.
I used to argue with my youngest brother when I am at home about drinking and driving, visiting here about five years ago, and seeing so many spot checks during the Xmas season, has cause to limit is drinking when we are out together.

Headley 2017-01-06 06:44:02 

In reply to openning

I deleted my earlier comment. I thought I knew the perp but apparently it's another Foster.

Devin 2017-01-06 09:05:15 

I've seen people drink and drive in Barbados, literally. I know a few people personally who engage in this behaviour.

Tryangle 2017-01-06 09:25:45 

Like SnoopDogg indicates, there's a cultural shift that is needed.

Drinking and driving needs to go from being socially acceptable to being frowned upon/seen as irresponsible.

It will take time, but it has to start now, and have the full backing of the powers that be, and the support of the broadcast and print media.

camos 2017-01-06 10:14:24 

Man! I can remember bus full of people including school children and driver stop to take a drink.
sad

SnoopDog 2017-01-06 12:00:00 

In reply to camos

I remember the days of driving around in Guyana, Trinidad and Bim and everyone in the car had beers in their hands.

It was stupid then, thankfully it's criminal now.

camos 2017-01-06 12:02:10 

In reply to SnoopDog

yes bro can relate to those days.