The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Concern re: poor history of fruitful fast bowlers from Ja.

solidrock 2017-01-06 12:37:24 

Jamaica now unveils Gavon Brown (what is his background?) and we continue to hope for the best for Leveridge. Jerome Taylor makes a comeback ... why I am not sure?

But, the real focus in this thread is a general one about many failing fast bowlers produced from Jamaica over the past 40 years (from Lester King to now).

Fact without dispute - Barbados produces West Indies fast bowlers over the past 50 years in the same volume and ability as Jamaica produces track sprinters. It seems that Barbados puts "some special thing in their water" that allows consistent production of reasonable fast bowlers in such numbers. West Indies is so grateful for the many fast bowlers from that small Island.

But, my argument is Jamaica has also done its small part to complement our great tradition of magnificent pool of fast bowlers. I further, argue that Jamaica has produced generally the fastest (not necessarily the best) of our fast bowlers. My supporting proof is the naming of a few (Lester King, Dowe, Holding, Seymour Newman who was much faster than Holding as young people, Patterson, Jermaine Lawson, Walsh,Taylor etc)

My disgust is why Jamaica seems to have some of the really fast bowlers in our WI cricket, but most of them seem to come and go even faster than other WI fast bowlers (except Holding and Walsh). Can someone explain this great failure in Jamaican development and care of our fast bowling stock? I would love some feedback?

Drapsey 2017-01-06 13:08:42 

In reply to solidrock

Fact without dispute - Barbados produces West Indies fast bowlers over the past 50 years in the same volume and ability as Jamaica produces track sprinters. It seems that Barbados puts "some special thing in their water" that allows consistent production of reasonable fast bowlers in such numbers. West Indies is so grateful for the many fast bowlers from that small Island.

As asserted by a popular Bajan poster, Bajans eat well.

WICFan 2017-01-06 13:54:25 

In reply to solidrock

Gavin Brown has been called a up a couple of times before, he played a couple of FC games before.

Can someone explain this great failure in Jamaican development and care of our fast bowling stock? I would love some feedback?

Interesting question.

Dwight Washington was unfortunate enough to debut on the Antigua Road and then played his last FC game a few months later.

Brian Buchanan & Christopher Powell have disappeared.

Andrew Richardson was on the verge of an international call up then seemingly, quietly retired.

If we look now, Cottrell is struggling to get in to the T&T side and is still erratic, Dawes doesn't appear to be up the job, Mindley is taking one or two wickets at most per game and Leveridge appears to be a pacer who has a lot to learn, at 26 years old.

Just where are the Jamaican pacers?

camos 2017-01-06 14:23:00 

In reply to solidrock

Bim has ten times the number of failures in terms of fast bowlers, just that they produce more cricketers.

XDFIX 2017-01-06 14:27:08 

“I’m feeling elated because I came to the trials with the expectation that it would be difficult. But over the course of the trials I put out the work and the work has paid off,” Sewell,

the former York Castle High student, said yesterday.

What's the truth claim here, Jamaica Observer needs to show Marcus Garvey Tech Hi Sch some love, methinks!

Raggs 2017-01-07 04:57:11 

In reply to solidrock

You have to remember we had potential 'great' ones who did not pursue greatness cos of the lure of other sports. Seymour Nurse and Usain Bolt as examples.

Slipfeeler 2017-01-07 21:33:08 

In reply to Raggs

Hope that Bolt who is still young will turn to cricket upon retirement from track. Many pacers from rural JA lack resources, motivation and encouragement from JCA to peruse a career in cricket, most fall by the wayside unfortunately!

JahJah 2017-01-08 02:43:43 

In reply to solidrock

Fact without dispute - Barbados produces West Indies fast bowlers over the past 50 years in the same volume and ability as Jamaica produces track sprinters.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! balderbumbodash!

black 2017-01-08 07:54:34 

In reply to solidrock

But, the real focus in this thread is a general one about many failing fast bowlers produced from Jamaica over the past 40 years (from Lester King to now).

Never go about life this way son. Do you want to be lumped in with the failing black people of the world?