The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Listen sometimes to Tony Becca ...

solidrock 2017-01-08 10:10:05 

Link Text

No cricket commentator is perfect re: discussing our future as a WI indies team. But, Tony remains quite wise in the gems he shares from time to time (with our great Tony Cozier gone, Becca should be listened to more than ever). I was struck some weeks ago by his strong endorsement of Brandon King and the sterling response on the field with the bat by King since then.

I am disappointed as to why Becca does not speak up more for R. Cornwall. [I feel the negative vibes against him due to his size must stop. He is a large man due to 'biological background,' not laziness or something else. Becca does not knock his size, but lack of voice speaks louder sometimes than words]

Tony Becca ...stop playing around with Holder as a leader. He does not have leadership qualities and neither does Kraigg Brathwaite. These two young men can become fantastic test players, but leadership is not for them.

I am now ready to give a tough call as to the next captain for our WI team for the next 4 years. There is only one person presently who deserves it. Based on experience, mental toughness, earns place on merit and able to learn as a cricketer.
I call for the immediate elevation of NIKITA "Russian" Miller as captain of our WI team. He is the right man for this time in our history. This call is based on sheer merit, ability and experience!!!

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-01-08 10:16:35 

In reply to solidrock

Lambert is a better fit

solidrock 2017-01-08 10:18:51 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy I am not joking!

jelfew 2017-01-08 16:29:13 

In reply to solidrock

Miller would have been a good contender if he was on the WI team. He would have to cross that hurdle first to be considered as captain. As Far as I see, all the young captains of the other teams were already fixtures on their respective teams. For example, Smith was SA leading openning batsman at 23 when he was named captain. The other reasonable contender was Gibbs and he was tainted by the alleged disunity among the then team-mates. Holder, in the WI case was too iffy and certainly was not an established player on the WI team. The selectors could only have been hoping that he could do well despite the odds against him.

Khaga 2017-01-08 16:30:18 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Lambert and fit in the same sentence? shock

jacksprat 2017-01-08 18:17:00 

In reply to jelfew

Miller would have been a good contender if he was on already on the WI team. He would have to cross that hurdle first to be6 considered as captain?

With the recent precedent of Darren Sammy, the WICB has shown that this is not a necessary criterion to be named captain.

That said, Miller is not the answer at age 34 nor was he, even a decade earlier. Despite his impressive record in FC cricket, I have never much rated him as a bowler.

FuzzyWuzzy 2017-01-08 18:27:08 

In reply to Khaga

Abs.....olutely big grin

XDFIX 2017-01-08 19:06:26 

In reply to solidrock

Ahhh well just noticed u preempted me