The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

What is wrong with Granger?

runout 2017-01-09 08:29:47 

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2017/news/stories/01/09/president-rejects-gecom-list-2/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+stabroeknewsguyana+%28Stabroek+News%29#utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=president-rejects-gecom-list-2

Is this man embarking on becoming the most notorious leader ever in Guyana's fractured history? Or is he getting senile? I mean the foolishness knows no boundary, and it is less than 2 years that he has been there. Some people were rudely awakened, and some are still wondering what is this nightmare?

steveo 2017-01-09 10:06:17 

In reply to runout

They have to be judges, nevermind no gecon chairman has ever been a judge.

Also before he asked for resumes, did he not know what he needed? You dint need a resume to figure out if this person is a judge. he is loading the dice

runout 2017-01-09 10:10:11 

In reply to steveo
Steveo, the mere fact that Surujbally wasn't a judge means that they don't have to be a judge. The constitution states that they must be "fit and proper"

runout 2017-01-09 10:12:57 

Granger goes and declares "Chinese Arrival Day"
lol lol lol

Go figure!!!

Wong Ping sey "man why you so foolish when you already have an Arrivals day?"

Runs 2017-01-09 10:53:31 

In reply to steveo

Does not necessarily have to be a Judge, read the requirements looks like Granger also missed it.

steveo 2017-01-09 11:03:57 

In reply to Runs

I know it, he may be getting senile

steveo 2017-01-09 11:05:01 

In reply to runout

Steveo, the mere fact that Surujbally wasn't a judge means that they don't have to be a judge. The constitution states that they must be "fit and proper"

I am just stating from Granger's perspective: they have to be judges

Runs 2017-01-09 11:23:11 

In reply to steveo

His AG seems incompetent lol

runout 2017-01-09 11:24:26 

In reply to steveo
Guyana and Guyanese are so screwed, they will make a capped wine bottle look loose.

People are shell shocked at the number of new taxes, and the slowdown of economic activity (and this sounds gloomy) that there are no real alternatives for development. Hard currency is hard to get...as they say, same ole, same ole. But a large segment of the population is celebrating this because they feel empowered.

Kay 2017-01-09 11:37:32 

In reply to runout

Steveo, the mere fact that Surujbally wasn't a judge means that they don't have to be a judge.

If I recall correctly these other chairpersons were not judges either but they were "fit and proper" as per the constitution:

Joe Singh
Eddie Hopkinson
Rudy Collins

Runs 2017-01-09 12:41:12 

It has been widely reported that the President has rejected the six names proposed to him by the Leader of the Opposition. His rejection is apparently premised on the person must hold office of a judge or be eligible for nomination as a judge. In our Constitution article 161(2) states, “Subject to the provisions of paragraph (4), the Chairman of the Elections Commission shall be a person who holds or who has held office as a judge of a court having unlimited jurisdiction in civil and criminal matters in some part of the Commonwealth or a court having jurisdiction in appeals from any such court or who is qualified to be appointed as any such judge, or any other fit and proper person, to be appointed by the President from the a list of six persons, not unacceptable to the President, submitted by the Leader of the Opposition after meaningful consultation with the non governmental political parties represented in the National Assembly;”

Using the clause, “ or any other fit and proper person” past presidents have appointed Rudy Collins (Diplomat), Edward Hopkinson (Gold Miner), Senior Counsel, Doodnauth Singh; Retired Major General Joseph Singh and Veterinary doctor, Steve Surujbally. This precedence of appointing a non-judge has been well established. So it is disingenuous for the President to reject the list on the basis that the persons are not past judges, or met the criteria to be a judge.

It seems that the President and his government is trying to stall the appointment of a new chairman for GECOM. By delaying this appointment GECOM cannot meet to make key decisions pertaining to electoral reforms such as introduction of biometrics. These reforms are essential for free and fair elections. I do hope that the diplomatic community is paying keen interests on what is happening with GECOM.

From Frank Anthony MP
cool

runout 2017-01-09 12:46:08 

Well if the current state of things prevail then it means that we will have to have the emperor's way.

So he says that he needs judges to be appointed. But he has been loathe to appoint the judges.
So I guess he will appoint a judge, who will then be appointed to the election commission.

I really don't think that this fella is playing with a full deck.

Dukes 2017-01-09 12:53:44 

In reply to Runs

His AG seems incompetent

Your use of the word "SEEMS" speaks to your generous nature!!!!!!!
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

runout 2017-01-09 12:55:21 

Is it me, or Basil looks like a deer in a head-lamp???

Dukes 2017-01-09 12:56:27 

In reply to Runs

Frank Anthony despite being the heir apparent is hardly an independent observer.

runout 2017-01-09 12:58:25 

In reply to Dukes
The way I see it Frank is the least of your party's problems...them in deep *&$# and the need a hymac???

Kay 2017-01-09 13:20:06 

In reply to Dukes

Frank Anthony despite being the heir apparent is hardly an independent observer.

Focus on the message man not the messenger. What is wrong with any of these gentlemen: Lawrence Latchmansingh, Rhyaan Shah, James Rose, Norman McLean, Ramesh Dookhoo and Christopher Ram? Well except for Major General Norman (Car parts) Gordon Mc Lean ... smile

Runs 2017-01-09 13:39:42 

In reply to Dukes

Good guy, schoolmate of mine cool
Them QC banas representing and rising to the top as expected.

Dukes 2017-01-09 13:57:51 

In reply to Kay

I doan know much about those guys so why ask me.I went to school with Ramesh Dookhoo and he was fine then but I have no clue about the others.Like you I know about McLean and wonder why would Jagdeo nominate him.Since you seem to know about Jagdeo's thinking maybe you could explain why he was chosen.Christopher Ram is clearly not a serious candidate as he has been extremely vocal leading up to the election and it would be impossible for him to be GECOM Chairman.In other words Jagdeo was DISINGENUOUS in naming McLean and Ram.

runout 2017-01-09 22:10:28 

http://www.inewsguyana.com/100-per-cent-increase-in-the-fees-penalties-for-liquor-licencing/
This government is really desperate for cash. I mean it is every nooks and cranny they are looking into to squeeze the average guy. This should sober up a few guys.

steveo 2017-01-09 22:17:09 

In reply to runout

Their religious fanaticism (christian this time) is limiting their brain power.

runout 2017-01-09 22:18:14 

On top of that they have Clive Thomas of SARU taking an inventory of high rise buildings in Guyana? I thought that SARU was for state asset recovery????

One never knows.

steveo 2017-01-09 22:19:37 

In reply to runout

On top of that they have Clive Thomas of SARU taking an inventory of high rise buildings in Guyana? I thought that SARU was for state asset recovery????

One never knows.

They are jealous,spiteful and judgemental Christians

runout 2017-01-09 22:19:50 

In reply to steveo

Bai I wish was religious fanaticism. The only religion of this regime seems to be the mighty dollar. Tax them into the ground.

steveo 2017-01-09 22:24:47 

In reply to runout

The only religion of this regime seems to be the mighty dollar. Tax them into the ground.

Hahaha, the vatican is some of the richest people on this planet, how u think they got that way.

On the state TV channel tonight a Christian woman was saying they have to remain strong to save the world and Guyana; which in effect means, their actions are sanctioned by God, they will not reconsider or accept any input from the heathens

runout 2017-01-09 22:31:24 

In reply to steveo

Interestingly whoever someone is trying to save another invariably they end up hurting them more. Lol.
These charlatans are just that

steveo 2017-01-09 22:36:36 

In reply to runout

Here you go

Interestingly whoever someone is trying to save another invariably they end up hurting them more. Lol.
These charlatans are just that

Its the same problem with the muslims, they do not use their own heads and actually try to think; they choose the easy path and let old decrepit books lead them against their own people

runout 2017-01-09 23:21:56 

In reply to steveo
Woooaaaahhhh. Funny dude. Thanks for the laugh.

Bigzinc 2017-01-10 09:15:13 

In reply to runout

Guyana Govt right about turn

Runs 2017-01-10 10:01:15 

In reply to Bigzinc

cool

Kay 2017-01-10 12:41:04 

The mantra seems to be:

The PPP think dem could thief, well we invented it and we gon show dem de real deal. Whatever dem tief in 23 years we gon double it in jus 4 years .... alyuh watch de ride

smile