The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

A Legal Strategy to Dismantle the WICB

Walco 2017-01-09 20:18:00 

Well I have a theory in mind, but it depends on the jurisdictions in which the BCA, TTCB, JCA, etc. were formed/incorporated.

I think the WICB is registered in BVI.

What form of entity is the BCA? JCA? TTCB? And where are they registered? Barbados? Jamaica? T&T?

matchstick 2017-01-09 22:55:52 

So that Head Man In Charge of dismantling the WICB has a plan on how to do it but don't know if the cornerstone of his plan is accurate?

Dave really must be the smartest man around to run WICB.

lol

Norm 2017-01-09 23:53:46 

In reply to Walco

I have a theory in mind

What replacement do you have in mind?

sudden 2017-01-10 07:23:52 

In reply to Walco

the BCA, i believe, was created by an Act of Parliament in 1933

Walco 2017-01-12 18:31:04 

In reply to matchstick

Boy yuh head can be real tuff sumtimes...

Walco 2017-01-12 18:32:26 

In reply to Norm

Full implementation of the Patterson recommendations

Walco 2017-01-12 19:13:06 

In reply to sudden

The problem with regional deployment of a legal strategy against the west Indies cricket board is that it is registered in the British Virgin Islands, which means that courts in the "West Indies" lack jurisdiction over the board.

As a result, any viable legal strategy against the west Indies cricket board must focus on the member boards that make up the WICB. Sue the territorial boards and obtain court orders requiring them to take action to implement the Patterson recommendations. There would be no jurisdictional issue with the BCA, for example, because it's registered in Barbados.

Now we only need a theory for a cause of action that would confer legal standing on a regular West Indies cricket fan to sue his home territorial board. Haven't given that one much thought so far, but I'm sure I can come up with something smile

sunfish 2017-01-12 20:15:28 

This is not new but I will regurgitate anyway. I summarize that the WICB structure is top heavy and redundant, and we don't know enough about their salaries.

I've gone to the WICB website looking for the job functions of the upper management, President, Vice President, CEO, and Director of Cricket and am unable to find them. Perhaps I've missed something and someone can correct me.

There are too many directors; (12?) the last time I checked. What are their salaries? What are their job functions and how many days in a year do they spend working on WICB matters?

And upper management, are their functions overlapping or worst minimal? The president twettes out of turn, does that suggest he has too much spare time on his hands? What did he accomplish today?

Why do we need a Vice President and what does he do daily? (This is the most wasteful spot of all)

CEO? Well he might be useful because my understanding is he controls the purse strings and can be the one to interface with the ICC and the other International boards.

Director of Cricket is useful too because, he managers the operations and schedules, and the hands-on operations of our cricket.

Conclusion: We don't need the President, Vice President and so many directors. Cut the directors in half and let the CEO and Director of Cricket share the International responsibilities

But who will cull them?

matchstick 2017-01-12 20:40:59 

In reply to Walco

Soft head...

Sue the territorial boards and obtain court orders requiring them to take action to implement the Patterson recommendations.

U do know that the majority of the Patterson report is already implemented or is being implemented.

There is one critical piece that is not being implemented... I can bet that you and ur soft head have no idea what that is.

rillo 2017-01-12 21:57:39 

How about denying them playing time in the West Indies?
How about the local countries boycott the WICB games and tournaments?
Doing so will make the sponsors think hard about backing them.

Then we have the yes men in the small territories who keep voting them in. That is the major hindrance to them getting ousted. i include TT votes. Need to get Bassarath ousted via votes.

camos 2017-01-12 22:22:27 

In reply to sunfish

There are too many directors; (12?) the last time I checked. What are their salaries? What are their job functions and how many days in a year do they spend working on WICB matters?

these are not paid positions, i.e they don't get salaries,that does not mean they not making money.

XDFIX 2017-01-12 23:05:24 

Replace and repeal, where is the GOP when yuh need it, oh well!

jen 2017-01-13 01:09:57 

Cricket bring plenty money into the countries that host the games, no Government gonna deny they economy that kind of money, so you all can stop talk about banning from playing in them country.

Walco 2017-01-13 05:49:24 

In reply to matchstick

Soft head? Man, my head tuffa dan yours smile

U do know that the majority of the Patterson report is already implemented or is being implemented.

Being implemented? How long ago was the Patterson Report issued again? And how many of the recommendations were implemented and subsequently dismantled?

There is one critical piece that is not being implemented... I can bet that you and ur soft head have no idea what that is.

Putting aside the personal attack, I'll take a wild guess on this one. It surely must be the recommendation that the board put in place a structure that would reduce it's own power.

sudden 2017-01-13 07:33:18 

In reply to Walco

try attacking it from a public interest stand point. i believe a recent judgment in India used this concept and won, and could be persuasive.

of course you would have to find a member of the public who could complain that he /she have stopped watching and going to WI organised cricket becos the product is not up to scratch becos the local board and by extension the WICB are self serving and not managing wi cricket in the interest of the public.

lots of dots to connect but i am sure you can do it Softhead big grin

Walco 2017-01-13 09:01:44 

In reply to sudden

The irony is most of the teachers at Lodge School tell mi muh head hard, except for one idiot who wrote in my report book that I could be a scholar if only I applied myself smile

Of course, funding such a lawsuit would be another matter entirely. Perhaps I should contact my old buddy Douglas Trotman.

Tagwa1 2017-01-13 10:10:54 

Why do we want to dismantle it again?

Sometimes we really got to look at building things and the bigger picture.

The WICB may not be all that bad, given the region it has to operate in and the people it has to serve.

In a sense they may have actually out performed other regional bodies and certainly the incompetence of our governments.

Despite what we may think, our cricket is still comparable with countries many times our size and with incomparable resources.

And yes Point is still my friend.....And I was not paid by Dave for the few days he been around Brooklyn. Its just that lots of things are not what they seem to be...especially when you not in the kitchen.

WTF....no one stole my handle...
lol

POINT 2017-01-13 10:24:03 

In reply to Tagwa1

Here are the stark facts regarding the
WICBC ; I will list them ; in no particular order , because these Issues are ALL very important ; and
can never ever be refuted .

1. THE WICBC WAS FOUNDED IN 1929 ;

SINCE THEN IT HAS BLUNTLY REFUSED TO

CHANGE ITS ARCHAIC STRUCTURE .

2. THE PEOPLE IN THE WICBC HAVE FOR

MANY YEARS NOW IN A BLATANT ATTEMPT

TO BAMBOOZLE THE PUBLIC ; HAVE SINCE

ITS INCEPTION ; COMMISSIONED SEVERAL

REPORTS , AND REFUSED TO ACCEPT AND

INCORPORATE THE SALIENT FINDINGS OF

THOSE REPORTS . SO IT IS PERTINENT

TO ASK WHAT THE HELL WAS THE PURPOSE

OF COMMISSIONING THOSE REPORTS ???

POINT 2017-01-13 10:30:19 

3. THE WICBC HAS NEVER EVER BEEN

TRANSPARENT ; ACCOUNTABLE ; OR

CONCERNED ABOUT EXERCISING GOOD

GOVERNANCE .

IN MY OPINION , THESE ARE ISSUES THAT

IN MY OPINION ; ARE ENOUGH TO TAKE

THE WICBC TO A LAW COURT TO ANSWER

CHARGES FOR BEING DERELICT IN ITS

RESPONSIBILITIES AS BEING IN THE

GOVERNANCE OF CRICKET IN THE REGION .

MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO MISTAKE ; THERE

ARE OTHER ISSUES JUST AS PERTINENT

AS THESE I HAVE CITED HERE .

Kay 2017-01-13 10:34:32 

In reply to Tagwa1

Just another flavour. If I can remember correctly, we wanted it re-structured, then a Caricom takeover and a few other things....

carl0002 2017-01-13 10:43:40 

In reply to Walco

Walco did u read the Patterson report?

POINT 2017-01-13 10:47:58 

The WICBC is only in the governance
of Cricket in the Region , because the
Governments in the Region have failed
the General Public in not summoning up
their Individual & Collective Testicular Fortitude to take the WICBC
to Court .

I recommend that Everyone read about
the case in India , the BCCI vs the
Lodha Committee , Google it , and you
will realize that the ALL CRICKET BOARDS , can be summoned to appear in
Court , and answer Charges brought against them .

In this very Forum , I have cited the
fact that The India Supreme Court ,
had the Officials of the BCCI in Court , and verbally slapped them around , for their tardiness in refusing to implement the recommendations of the Lodha Committee .

THE SUPREME COURT WENT EVEN FURTHER

IT REMOVED THE PRESIDENT OF THE BCCI

& THE SECRETARY OF THE BCCI FROM

THEIR RESPECTIVE POSITIONS IN THE

BCCI .

I cite this to demonstrate that the
WICBC aint immune from being hauled
into Court , to answer Charges regarding its continuous failures to
implement changes recommended by the various Reports it commissioned .

So the Big Idiots who believe that
the WICBC are immune from being hauled into Court are living in a
Fools Paradise .

POINT 2017-01-13 11:02:37 

In reply to Tagwa1

I have no doubt that Emperor Cameron
is possibly a spellbinding Speaker ,
however did he address the fact that
for decades the WICBC has commissioned
several Reports , and then discarded
them .

If he did not do that then he was simply being another Snake Oil Salesman . Did he speak about the fact that currently , in the longer
versions of the game WE are wallowing
at or near the Bottom of International Cricket .

My take from what YOU have stated , is that:

HE WAS TALKING ABOUT MAKING MONEY

HE WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT

TRANSPARENCY ; ACCOUNTABILITY ; OR

GOOD GOVERNANCE . THESE ARE ESSENTIAL

IN ORDER FOR CRICKET IN THE REGION

TO START AN UPWARD TREND .

Look at the fact that Bangladesh are
ahead of us , I remember the days when WE used to treat Bangladesh with Derision . Dem days dun .

Walco 2017-01-13 14:21:30 

In reply to carl0002

Yes, a while back

Walco 2017-01-13 14:23:39 

In reply to Tagwa1

To save it.

carl0002 2017-01-13 14:24:26 

In reply to Walco
So what in that Patterson report that will make it work better than the current setup

Walco 2017-01-13 14:34:54 

In reply to carl0002

I'm busy right now, but check out this link.

WICB Utilising Patterson Report

I'll be back later

POINT 2017-01-13 17:06:28 

In reply to Walco

Go to the head of the class ; YOU are
a very perceptive Man . Your answer is
exceedingly obvious .

The Supporters of Cameron & Co , are unable to factor into their brains the
very fact that the WICBC have ignored
all the Reports it has so far received , urging it to restructure the Entity .

So then the question is this :

WHY IS IT THAT THE WICBC DO NOT WANT

TO RESTRUCTURE ITS 87 YEARS OLD

STRUCTURE ??????

My perception , is that the Members of the WICBC do not want to be Transparent ; Accountable or exercise
Good Governance . They prefer to have
things remain just as they are .

NO TRANSPARENCY ; NO ACCOUNTABILITY

AND GOOD GOVERNANCE AINT IN THEIR

AGENDA .

The WICBC has utterly failed to have
harmonious relations with its Employees . This aint a trifling matter , because its failure to have
harmonious relations is the main cause of our standing in the International Cricket Arena .

ANYONE WHO REFUSES TO ACKNOWLEDGE

THIS FACT HAS BEEN HOODWINKED BY

THE WICBC .

Walco 2017-01-13 17:38:54 

In reply to POINT

Very few people will voluntarily relinquish power. Some sort of force is usually necessary. The WICB is no different.

TheTrail 2017-01-13 18:44:43 

Who registered the WICB in that place? Was it the founding fathers of WI cricket? Why would they do that?

Who were the founding fathers of cricket in the West Indies? Was this registration intentional...?

Walco 2017-01-13 19:01:45 

In reply to TheTrail

Reading your post requires a correction on my part. Although place of registration is a basis for legal jurisdiction, it's not the only basis. The West Indies cricket board could be sued in Barbados or Jamaica or Trinadad or Guyana because it conducts business in those countries. But it will be difficult, if not impossible, for a court in Jamaica, for example, to force any structural changes to the West Indies Cricket Board because the board is not registered in Jamaica.

Walco 2017-01-13 19:21:33 

“We accept that cricket belongs to the people of the region and that we are the legal custodians of that great regional endeavour"

Music to my ears. Need to save that one for the complaint. One lawsuit in Jamaica, one in T&T, one in Guyana, and one in Barbados. Where are the Windwards and Leewards boards registered?

POINT 2017-01-13 20:08:09 

In reply to Walco

During the Case that the India Supreme heard regarding the Lodha Committee vs
the BCCI . The Judges told the BCCI
Representatives that :

THEY DID NOT OWN CRICKET IN INDIA ;

THEY ARE MERELY THE STEWARDS OF

CRICKET IN INDIA .

I am of the opinion that this also applies to the Worst International
Cricket Board in the Commonwealth ,
aka the WICBC .

Kay 2017-01-13 23:45:34 

In reply to Walco

I think the WICB is registered in BVI.

So is the ICC. Is there any correlation or is this just coincidence?

Tagwa1 2017-01-14 08:21:20 

In reply to Walco

Oh understand.

Dismantle to reassemble.

Been trying that since I was 2, I usually end up with extra pieces that are not "needed."

Cricket Westindies in the black now, I guess we need to mash that up since being in the red is the natural order of things around here.