The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

El Dorado 15 or Glenfiddich 18

pelon 2017-01-20 16:59:51 

Both on the table, clean glasses, cystal bowl filled with ice.

which one do YOU go for?

A. Glenfiddich Small Batch Reserve 18 Year or
B. El Dorado 15

I'm in the El Dorado in ah blink of an eye.

What say you???

openning 2017-01-20 17:06:04 

In reply to pelon

A. Glenfiddich Small Batch Reserve 18 Year

Rudder 2017-01-20 17:16:41 

In reply to pelon

A. Glenfiddich Small Batch Reserve 18 Year

Commie 2017-01-20 17:44:00 

In reply to pelon

The 12 is actually better than the 15.

No joke.

Da-Vincy 2017-01-20 19:18:19 

In reply to pelon

I got a bottle of the glenfiddich small batch 18 as a xmas gift. Wasn't familiar with it, but liked the packaging.

A friend stopped by and asked to open it. No problem.

But he alone drank half, then - without asking - took the other half with him! It was only then I did some research and found that the stuff is prime...and expensive to boot. I'm still pissed at the inconsiderate bastard!

Now trying to find a replacement bottle....if only as a souvenir. But no luck.

Commie 2017-01-20 19:20:43 

In reply to Da-Vincy

You got played big grin

Curtis 2017-01-20 23:08:10 

Ever tried El Dorado Single Barrel?

pelon 2017-01-21 09:36:38 

These palate issues are always subjective.

I've got 2 bottles of Glenfiddich and many other Scotch. Recently went and stocked up on American Bourbon - Whiskey etc. Makers Mark, Woodfrod Reserve etc... but if I am drinking with ONLY ice (on the rocks) nothing compares to El Dorado 15
in the rankings for "on the rocks"
Ron Zacappa comes second. Then a good single malt third.

Happy Saturday to all good peps.

@curtis:
I just googled it, I see the marketing:

Tasting Notes:

Butterscotch nose blended with roasted coconut and apple. An initial taste of baked peach and coconut with a smoky cedar finish. Excellent mouth feel.

Sounds pretentious and overstated. With rum for me it's simple: I like it. I do not like it.

Well blended or not. Im not the guy to drink rum and say: " I get a hint of roasted coconut and apple..."
lol lol lol lol lol

Commie 2017-01-21 10:07:16 

In reply to pelon

Ron Zacapa imo is way too sweet. It may be about the first dessert rum ever.

Top of the tree for me is Neisson from Martinique and the 12 year old El Dorado.

Guadeloupe also has some great rums.

pelon 2017-01-21 12:57:51 

In reply to Commie

"Neisson from Martinique"

First class stuff fuh real.

So which for you A or B?

Commie 2017-01-21 13:16:52 

In reply to pelon

Rhum Agricole Vieux Niesson

I almost forgot the Trois Riviere Rhum. Great rum.

However I am drinking a El Dorado 12 with some coconut water on my porch right now and eating a roast breadfruit and saltfish.

The simple things in life.

openning 2017-01-21 13:33:17 

In reply to Commie

However I am drinking a El Dorado 12 with some coconut water on my porch right now and eating a roast breadfruit and saltfish.

Rum and Breadfruit?

lol lol

pelon 2017-01-21 14:21:49 

In reply to openning

See how easy our quintessence can be squeezed out when yuh live 40 years abroad.
Yes Rum, breadfruit/Salfish is a perfect Saturday. AS a matter of fact, next time you make Souse (which we talked about) - try it with a small glass of well blended rum... report your findings lol lol lol

Breadfruit with saltfish in the core too and roasted like that with garlic is on another level of bliss... but as Commie said: simple, good life.

pelon 2017-01-21 14:23:17 

In reply to Da-Vincy

Man that is not a friend.

The drinking half is all the pleasure if the company is good... but to leave with it.... man he needs a lash.

openning 2017-01-21 16:32:31 

In reply to pelon

Bro, Rum, Gin or Vodka, I don't have a taste for, and I worked around liquor most of my working life and had the freedom to drink or taste any kind.
I never liked Breadfruit as a kid and enjoy Salted Cod with Ackee or Fishcakes
I only eat Fishcakes when my niece come to visit or I am at home.
BTW, that Souse you instructed me about was the best I've ever make, my nephew who thinks he is a Souse connoisseur gave it two thumbs up.

tc1 2017-01-21 19:20:07 

In reply to openning

Same here, I agreed with you on the breadfruit, never like it as a kid, the ackee is not for me, .liquor is overrated. your boy GB used to have the worst tasting wines to me, as for the other stuff I eat it occasionally.

openning 2017-01-21 19:57:39 

In reply to tc1

Spoke with him last week.
Not everyone like liquor, my dad love his rum, my mom never drank.
GB would had tasted a lot of wines being a Wine Steward
I bought four 40 ozs bottles of 12 years Glenfiddich, duty free bottles on trip home last October, my niece who was travelling with had two and I the other two, the Red cap lady told us, we were only allowed one bottle each and we should hide one, I know my experience at the airport, so I was willing to pay, what ever it was.
The agent must have known I love scotch, she was so nice. lol

DukeStreet 2017-01-21 23:48:07 

In reply to Da-Vincy

I got a bottle of the glenfiddich small batch 18 as a xmas gift. Wasn't familiar with it, but liked the packaging.

A friend stopped by and asked to open it. No problem.

But he alone drank half, then - without asking - took the other half with him! It was only then I did some research and found that the stuff is prime...and expensive to boot. I'm still pissed at the inconsiderate bastard!

Similar thing happened to me. Neighbour and fren invite demselves over one night. I offered the fren a shot or two of El 15. I then retired for a 1 hour nap...woke up and 3/4 of de damn bottle gone arredy! I will never do that again.

tc1 2017-01-21 23:57:59 

In reply to openning

I am glad u spoke to him, I would like to come to Toronto this year, I used to spent my summers there in the 70s.I will try Glenfiddich in the future

Curtis 2017-01-22 07:36:39 

In reply to pelon

will confirm on the Single Barrel today, will taste it properly; had an initial taste over the season and liked it - not sweetish like the other vintages from same distiller

on a related note, when it was introduced in Ontario in Nov - Dec 2016, it seems like the liquor board mis-priced it at $44 - it was quickly corrected to over $100 before New Years lol

dale_staple 2017-01-22 07:51:25 

In reply to Commie

(Homer simpson voice) Roast breadfruit and saltfish.....mmmmmmmmmmm.

dale_staple 2017-01-22 07:52:03 

In reply to DukeStreet

Ur fault entirely. U knew that you should not leave cream at puss mouth.

Da-Vincy 2017-01-22 14:53:21 

In reply to DukeStreet and pelon
Man, the thing still hurting me. But at least I learned my lesson.
If he ever shows up again, I'll be filling up a top shelf bottle with Vincy strong rum ...and leaving it right there for him. Let me see him guzzle that. Bet he'll learn his lesson then!

Chrissy 2017-01-22 14:57:52 

In reply to pelon

Neither lol

Commie 2017-01-22 17:00:28 

In reply to dale_staple

Love that quote. Cream at puss mouth big grin

eXodus 2017-01-23 11:20:22 

In reply to pelon

el dorado 15
no ice needed cool

pelon 2017-01-23 11:30:31 

In reply to Chrissy

lol lol - noted, although you might enjoy it with coconut water... give it a try.

@eXodus: we seem to be out flanked. lol lol

Kay 2017-01-23 11:39:00 

In reply to eXodus

Yes ... now a real rummy speaks. The ice is a spoiler .. smile

eXodus 2017-01-23 19:37:17 

In reply to pelon

well..i extend this offer to them on our behalf.

any of yall with El Dorado 15 year old that you don't want...Pelon and I will gladly volunteer our services to dispose of it for you cool

@Kay

15 year old and above = sipping rum

12 and below = drinking rum

p.s

a colleague of mine gave me a bottle of Fortress from Nova Scotia. I'm giving him a bottle of El Dorado spiced rum

fair trade?

Commie 2017-01-23 19:49:26 

In reply to eXodus

Look, the best rum review sites review the 12 OVER the 15.

So do most old rum heads I know.

In the end, though, rum always wins.

RemainsUnknown 2017-01-24 14:32:35 

In reply to pelon

Both on the table, clean glasses, cystal bowl filled with ice.

which one do YOU go for?

A. Glenfiddich Small Batch Reserve 18 Year or
B. El Dorado 15

I'm in the El Dorado in ah blink of an eye.

What say you???

Almost ALWAYS I would go El Dorado 15 EXCEPT I've had the honor to always have had this in stock.

The Glenn Small Batch Rsv. 18 Single Malt I don't think I've had so I would go for it in this case just because I've only had the 12 not the 18.

I just wouldn't compare the Single Malt Whisky with the Rum... that way, I don't feel bad. lol lol lol lol

Priapus 2017-01-24 14:53:43 

I didn't realize this MB had so many alcoholics. Makes sense when you read some of the postings on here. lol lol

Anyway, its Chairman's Reserve for me. Had a friend bring one for me for xmas. It's 3/4 empty right now.

RemainsUnknown 2017-01-24 15:03:36 

In reply to Priapus

I didn't realize this MB had so many alcoholics. Makes sense when you read some of the postings on here. lol lol
I like how you lambaste the crowd, then...

Anyway, its Chairman's Reserve for me. Had a friend bring one for me for xmas. It's 3/4 empty right now.
....promptly join in to toast with the rest of us rum-boogie. lol lol lol

Priapus 2017-01-24 15:10:28 

In reply to RemainsUnknown

Nah. I'm a 'special occasions' drinker...Birthday, Xmas Day, Wedding Day, Burial Day, Monday - Sunday.... lol

RemainsUnknown 2017-01-24 15:59:14 

In reply to Priapus

Like you, I seldom drink as well. I only drink twice a week........

weekdays and weekends. lol lol lol lol

tops 2017-01-24 16:03:09 

In reply to Commie
I prefer the 12 over the 15 too.
I got a bottle with the 2 glasses set for Christmas but haven't open it as yet. That's because my sister had one for over 3 years and she didn't open it either, so I had to put an end to that foolishness. big grin
Glass nice though, has a boat design on it, so when u pour in rum and ice, looks like a boat sailing inside.

tops 2017-01-24 16:08:40 

In reply to pelon
Never had the Glenfiddich 18. I had the 15 which I don't really like.
Courtis.
"Ever tried El Dorado Single Barrel?"
I had some b4 Christmas. It's kind of strong. Had to mix it with ginger beer.

Commie 2017-01-24 16:18:18 

In reply to tops

I bet if you blind tasted most people they would too smile

tops 2017-01-24 16:27:16 

In reply to Commie
I find the 12 and the 21 taste almost the same.

np 2017-01-24 17:18:31 

In reply to Da-Vincy

Yuh sure is NOT him did buy it .. and then stop by to drink it, and then take it back!!

@Commie - he got played fi true!! big grin

eXodus 2017-01-24 17:45:24 

In reply to Commie

I hear you with the 12 year old...it is good...but i prefer my 15 year old.

it'll always have a nostalgic feeling for me [probably why I rate it better]

being 17...err 18...i meant 18...no way i'd be drinking at 17 lol and going to a rum shop and ordering a bottle of 15 year old fuh you and di crew for the first time.

15 year old has always been a special thing for me

2 famous examples

- pre CXC maths part 2 drink was 15 year old [nervousness...what di rass dat?] lol

- CXC passing celebration was 15 year old
'

but yes...in the end the rum always wins

Commie 2017-01-24 18:10:57 

In reply to eXodus

I would encourage you to take a rum visit to Martinique.

Pound for pound the best rum producing country in the world.

You can visit a few places where you can do tastings.

Drapsey 2017-01-24 18:30:49 

In reply to eXodus

With the Guinness trademark in your avatar and the subject being intoxicating beverages, I think it's a good opportunity to share my Guinness story.

Back in the early to mid 80s, I worked in mid-town Manhattan. On a scorching summer day I went to lunch a little bit late and decided to visit the local Blarney Rock (or was it Blarney Stone) restaurant/bar. Placed my lunch order (reuben sandwich), and seeing that they had Guinness on tap, decided to order one. The server asked what size I wanted, and the prompt reply was 'large'. Of course I had no idea what a large Guinness meant in that context. When the drink was served I was in total shock. Pitcher size, no less. Well, being one of those who firmly believe in eating all that you take, I drained the glass.

Then I went back to work...

Maispwi 2017-01-24 19:26:31 

In reply to Priapus

Encourage him to bring you an Admiral Rodney or 1931 next time