The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Who here believe in whipping kids

openning 2017-01-21 20:07:14 

I hate it, never hit any of my children.
I remember wanting to go to a picnic, got a bath dresses, asked mom for my ticket, which she usually purchase.
Mom said the chore you were supposed to do a few week ago, is still not done, so until thats done, you will not be going on any excursion, I was the only one of my friends that did not go.
I remember that day, more than any whipping I received.

openning 2017-01-21 20:07:59 

Mobs, sorry
please move

WestDem 2017-01-21 21:12:45 

In reply to openning

Not me, I love kids in general and think they should grow up with maximum love!

Got two sons and I grew up with just my mom as my guidance counselor and she was the greatest woman ever! She taught me everything about respect and love for all without hitting... FF 22 years into my marriage I am proud to never hit any of my kids and the oldest is 19..

nick2020 2017-01-21 21:23:08 

In reply to openning

Slave habits die hard for us.
Not to mention bronze era religions reinforcing it.

bravos 2017-01-21 21:27:09 

I might've only 'hit' if they hit..a lil finger tips calpet behind the ear section though,nothing more..wink

But my kids have hardly ever hit each other and do not fight at all.. cool

I 'whipped' my big son one time many years ago when he did very badly in a pre SEA test after throwing wool in my eyes and assuring me he was on top of things,felt bad,I was much younger,but he passed for his top choice after.. confused

My kids are kinda like my friends and very happy and well informed and know that we have to stick together and if they don't and resort to hitting then it's a calpet behind the ear..Lol be kind and polite to each other,stick together and uplift each other or daddy will kill us is the idea basically..Worked like a charm!!! smile

My house is quiet or at least always well toned for a house with 3 boys!!!

Only noise is laughter,a lil enthusiastic fact challenge where I may become the adjudicator or outdoor fun,hell they even practice soccer straight shots down a long wide breezy corridor by the atrium entrance,but they do it soo good,stone walls help,painted walls woulda bin a no no,and they know! smile

WestDem 2017-01-21 21:44:17 

In reply to bravos

Three posts in one prove you are a guilty beater! Sounds like a bravado thing that make you proud?

openning 2017-01-21 22:06:28 

In reply to WestDem

Got two sons and I grew up with just my mom as my guidance counselor and she was the greatest woman ever!

Ditto to the above, my mom was my queen, as a grandmother, one would think she was from mars.

Yamfoot 2017-01-21 22:55:35 

If I had children, I wouldn't beat them.

I remember slapping my nephew on his arm once because he would not go and get ready for bed....horsing around as usual. So he went from laughing and happy to angry and he turned to me and said "so Aunty Yamfoot, why you had to slap me?" You should have seen the disappointment in his eyes too, as he said it. Tears came to my eyes and that was it for me.

I maintain that people beat their kids because they dont have control over their emotions and they dont know any other way and have not bothered to do research on methods of disciplining. I think too, that they should teach parenting in schools.

bravos 2017-01-21 23:14:30 

In reply to WestDem

You dotish,you don't know me or my kids or our relationship,I spoke the truth,my kids don't get beat,but they know they they will get a solid clout if they abuse or attempt to abuse anyone or each other,hurt your lil brother etc and I hurt your ears,go mind your kids how you want,I know what works for mine..and it worked very well,so well it's been years since a clout passed,shish people can't talk the truth and be real with plastic hypocrites like you around eh..

Don't come around my boys and I,people like you make it hard to be serious and honest and REAL,and I said I was much younger when I beat my first son the one and only time idiot,and although I felt bad it bloody worked,it's real,it's life.

Always games with allyuh internet cartoon alter egos eh..

You trying to label a dedicated committed father like an old friend like me,a father that's connected to his sons on levels you can't imagine? A father that involves his son's and their inputs into all his ventures and plans both business and pleasure? You out of order cartoon man,shove your judgement up your bugs bunny hole.

openning 2017-01-21 23:30:15 

In reply to bravos

You dotish,you don't know me or my kids or our relationship,I spoke the truth,my kids don't get beat,but they know they they will get a solid clout if they abuse or attempt to abuse anyone or each other,hurt your lil brother

Why not speak to them or find other ways of discipline them, why a clout?
I am just like WestDem, against any type of hitting a child.

bravos 2017-01-21 23:49:36 

In reply to openning

Oh god is because I speak to them and they don;t give ANY TROUBLE AT ALL there aren't clouts,but a clout may have passed along the way,and if necessary again,but because of all our TALK and phenomenal kids it does not happen,man I'm really sorry I came on this thread you people making out as if this thing happens regularly,I said a clout hasn't passed for years,because my kids are very civil very thoughtful,very caring,very responsive and receptive,very proactive,very open minded,very polite,very charitable,very informed about our world,very sensitive to suffering and people's needs,very well informed about the distribution of species and dinosaurs and world history etc etc,so yes it's all about TALK AND OUR GREAT RELATIONSHIP AND OUR GREAT PARENTING WORK that we have good boys who are also very funny,witty, confident and righteous.

I was just showing you how even a father with the best of relations with his kids may have passed a clout in the past because of good parenting skills experience and trickle down from older ones it is not necessary because my kids are now all exemplars in behavior etc etc, and also very active in sports and outdoor activity,my kids have fun but are never very loud out of order or overbearing,my kids don't and have never been the kind to fall down in the grocery store crying and bawling,I really wish you people look at context before you comment and cast judgement on people and ask silly questions,you think you have some parent template I don't have, about speaking to dem,waaaat?? You think I have some kinda trouble kids that need speaking to or something? Lol you funny..

I am saying that as a parent of happy trendy active modern good boys there's a lingering possibility that if you for some reason get out of line with the decent thoughtful caring traits that we abide by,there's a possibility that you may get a clout,although it's almost never necessary and even more so as our family get's more sophisticated to the point where the kids teach the teachers about many things they didn't know about our country.

Please I'm really sorry to have been honest and allow you people to attempt to tarnish a real solid family,make no mistake my kids don't do anything for a clout or to get 'spoken to' about and we are connected like you would not imagine,if you read over my posts and put them into the perspective they were intended then you would see the genesis of the clout and realize the joke was it's now like a kind of invisible 'hand of god' that still lingers..but you guys kinda slow and really elementary,my kids do not get beat and do not do anything that would warrant that,phew waaay boy...

'Speak to my kids',,some great epiphany you got there,glad you finally got the memo..congrats,bye now.

Kay 2017-01-21 23:59:30 

In reply to bravos

You don't have to defend anything man. Smart parents know very early what works to ensure their kids grow up to be upstanding citizens. If a little clout or ring ears can do the job so be it....

bravos 2017-01-22 00:27:42 

In reply to Kay

I might've only 'hit' if they hit..a lil finger tips calpet behind the ear section though,nothing more.. wink

But my kids have hardly ever hit each other and do not fight at all.. cool

Lol they not even capable of dissecting my opening statement..very Trump-like..

They missed a simple sum..I'm sure black would've added that one up easily,let's see..

"I might've only 'hit'(clout) if they hit" (Oh so you wanna share pain,do you?)

"But my kids have hardly ever hit each other and do not fight at all" (Oh no but they aren't the type to share pain,they actually nurture/rescue animals and treat smaller kids instead)

Don't I get any f@cking credit for having kids like that?

Did I beat them to be like that although because of my parenting skills I don't have any reason to ?

All I'm saying is I damn reserve the right to hit them a clout if ever it becomes necessary,and so far for many years and the years that it matters the most it's not necessary!!My kids and I talk and talk and reason and reason and share and share and people here have the nerve to ask me bout talk to them because I said a clout may have passed at SOME time during all the YEARS and YEARS of good caring and loving and responsible parenting,and that clout may have help set the foundation for all the others after who never even got one?? like wtf !!??

Do I have to read and spell and translate ?

Some people so full of themselves that they don't see past their own nose..

steveo 2017-01-22 04:57:03 

Dont spare the rod and spoil the child.

I am sure many carribeans can attest to the fact that many first worlders that do not believe in spanking have some of the most insane kids compared with those of a more disciplined upbringing.

Sure we could all be counselors for our children, but that would take 10x the amount of time of a swift cut ass and we all got shit to do. Most of the people that do not spank use bribery(which coincidentally is great for the McDonalds etc of the world) is which I think defeats the purpose of teaching a child: actions carry consequences.

Spankings have gotten a bad rap from genuinely abusive parenting that use spanking as a means of venting their own anger on their children. But as a tool to instill the mindset that bad behavior have bad consequences, its saves time and money.

Thats my unpopular opinion for the day.

openning 2017-01-22 09:45:13 

In reply to bravos

I have no doubt about you being a good father, this thread is only about discipline kids, not what type of parent any of us are.
I am of the opinion that any type of spanking or hitting are not think thru, it comes with anger, rush of blood.
A parent may asked a child to leave Johnny alone a few times, the next time Jonny cries out, from some parents he may get some kind of Clout as you called it or a Spanking.
I believe calling that child and let him/her know, that Johnny dislike the way he is being treated and next time there will be consequences.
As I stated in my opening post, I remember not being able to go on a picnic, but not any of my spankings, and there were a few.

steveo, I have a life video of my mother, and one of the things she regretted, is hitting her kids
Spending time with her three great grands, who in her mind listened and obeyed her, she regretted the way she discipline us.

bravos 2017-01-22 09:46:49 

In reply to steveo

Great post,it's not what you do but how you do it..

black 2017-01-22 10:29:21 

I spanked my kids in the early years but was careful, not continue spanking as they got older because of a confrontation with my dad over spanking.

It's hard to change behavior when you grew up in a house that encourages it but over the years I've come to believe, it's not the best method. Myself and siblings grew up under a very strict mom that would not hesitate to give a spanking but I think we turned out ok.

sudden 2017-01-22 10:32:09 

short of abuse no one should be telling another how to raise their children. not all children are the same and what works for one family wont work necessarily for the next.

Oilah 2017-01-22 10:32:37 

I have administered a few when my children were younger than 10. Not de sorta beating I saw when I was growing up. I got more mileage from the threat so I hardly ever went all de way. I must admit that i would feel soooo bad after a spanking dat I officially brought an end to the practice. One child I never had to go there and another seemed determined to push me there smile

ray 2017-01-22 10:37:18 

WHa happen...ayuh don't believe in "spare the rod and spoil the child " anymore?

I don't believe in it.....I do have a killer look if I am upset though lol

Halliwell 2017-01-22 10:45:17 

In reply to openning

You prejudiced the argument from the start when you said whipping

Emir 2017-01-22 11:12:24 

In reply to Halliwell

You prejudiced the argument from the start when you said whipping

What word should replace "whipping?"

Emir 2017-01-22 11:15:48 

In reply to black

Myself and siblings grew up under a very strict mom that would not hesitate to give a spanking but I think we turned out ok.

"Strict" does not mean nor does it equal "whipping," "spanking" or corporal punishment etc.

Did this "strict Mom" upbringing had a negative impact in your views of women? This is a legitimate question and I ask it b/c of your many posting here that shows you viewing women as sexual objects.

steveo 2017-01-22 11:26:01 

In reply to Emir

Did this "strict Mom" upbringing had a negative impact in your views of women? This is a legitimate question and I ask it b/c of your many posting here that shows you viewing women as sexual objects.

Look at this dotish arm chair psychiatrist.

Emir 2017-01-22 11:32:32 

In reply to steveo

The question was not for you and go ahead and call names. act like a child in an adult forum.

If you have nothing good to contribute, just keep your arse quiet. rolleyes

black 2017-01-22 13:12:39 

In reply to Emir

Really dude?

Do anyone outside of your home knows what your wife looks like?

Halliwell 2017-01-22 13:27:44 

In reply to Emir

Hit
Corporal punishment
The occasional lash

Foolishness like 'whipping' is akin to 'wailing' and 'beating'
Which we all agree is wrong

Emir 2017-01-22 13:52:10 

In reply to Halliwell

Thanks for the clarification. I believe no matter what you call it, it is worng, be it occasional lashing or CP.

I believe it is wrong for both religious reasons and years of personal experience and wide body of research which clearly proved it does not work as a disciplinary tactic.

More often than not, the person handing out the "hit/clout/lash, et all" has many parental short-comings as well.

The Prophet's guidance is revealing- "bribe your kids under 12 with sweets" meaning use love and affection as a disciplinary tool. Child hitting was highly scoffed at.

Other modern day disciplinary tactics includes:

Grounding, removal of usage of leisure and play items, such as toys, i-pads etc.

It always works better

Emir 2017-01-22 13:53:35 

In reply to black

I AM ASKING YOU A SERIOUS QUESTION. ANSWER UP rolleyes

openning 2017-01-22 15:25:57 

In reply to Emir

Let me share with you and this something that happened to me in 1989.
On January 6, 1986, I waited for my brother in law, his wife and their two sons, to come over, he and I were going to watched football, instead of they're arriving, two cops came by five hours later and I knew something was wrong, that day, I became the dad of two beautiful sons, as their parent died in a car accident.
During the grieving, my wife who sister had just died, my daughter and the two boys, went through counselling, one of my discipline method, was to put them in a corner to chill out.
We had individual and group counselling, one day at our group counselling, the counsellor asked me to stand in a corner, and not to participate until he ask me to.
I felt insulted standing in the corner, but could not say anything, after the group session, the group was excuse and I finish the session, How did it feel standing there? All three children said this is your way of discipline
That was the last time, I asked any of them to stand in a corner, children need nourishing and guidance, not spanking.

sudden 2017-01-22 15:47:53 

In reply to openning

Man that made no sense given that you finished by saying children need guidance not spanking yet your example was about standing in a corner

openning 2017-01-22 16:46:51 

In reply to sudden

The counsellor considered standing in a corner as abusive punishment, same as spanking, hitting, yelling or whipping.

We as adults would not tolerate it, so why do it to our children.

granite 2017-01-22 17:04:05 

I got licks from 6 to the age of 16,but only from my mother,I deserved some of the licks,but some was OTT,my 3 sisters and one brother never got licks.I was a little bit bad so I may heve deserved some licks,but today looking back,I got too much.

WestDem 2017-01-22 19:17:06 

In reply to bravos

Dude, you need to get outta your third world mentality! You fucking wrong to hit any, much less your own kid. Are you that unintelligent that you cannot reason with your kid? Only COWARDS like you hit kids and women to prove allyuh are REAL men!

WestDem 2017-01-22 19:19:49 

In reply to Emir

Not surprisingly you believe in beating kids... after all yours is just like mercy killing, right? lol lol razz razz

cricketest 2017-01-22 21:35:31 

what about whipping adults as in S&M?

who here believes in that?

Norm 2017-01-24 05:53:17 

In reply to openning
Whipping kids, or otherwise coercing them into obedience routinely, is a very bad idea.

You are likely to be teaching them to suppress their own thoughts and become intellectually dependent on others. You may also be teaching them to behave like proverbial donkeys, who will not act unless punished or threatened. You may also be teaching them that violence is acceptable.

On the other hand, kids need to be taught and reminded that physical punishment akin to whipping is a part of real life and could be a consequence of defying authority when clear rules and penalties are set.

So whip or spank only when it is clear to both parties that it would be the consequence for a specific action.

Otherwise, whip them if you like them to become stupid, dependent, violent or incapable of acting unless threatened or punished.