The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Amazon

black 2017-01-23 13:30:15 

Before it's all said and done, these guys are going to put a lot of retailers out of business. American people are too lazy to be bothered with mall shopping these days.

And, Amazon is ready to accommodate them, they control the majority of online shopping.

pelon 2017-01-23 13:35:56 

In reply to black

American people are too lazy to be bothered with mall shopping these days.
I would not call it lazy. Americans are lazy in a gazillion ways but....

People don't go out to the backyard well and hand pump for water anymore, not because we are lazy, but because a superior method supplanted it: plumbing and distribution. smilesmilesmilesmile

Not lazy, in THIS case.

Amazon has the competitive prices, a vast supply model, 2-3 day shipping - auto reorder on groceries and one of the best return policies anywhere to be found. Safe, trusted and very innovative.

Been a member since 1998.

Sadly, they have killed the mom and pops/mall business in the carnage.

Before it's all said and done, these guys are going to put a lot of retailers out of business.
Innovation kills stagnation. Why did Sears play possum in the late 1990's when Amazon was blazing the trail? Must a company be blamed when it's competition stays stuck in drive.
The tech corporations in this century have a life span of 10 - 20 years max. Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Linkin etc. and social media companies either adapt evolve or the get vaporized in the blink of an eye. Yahoo a great example, before that AOL....

Sears, K-Mart, Ace, Radio Shack, all of them the same: failed to adopt/adapt to the new economy.

Watch Wal-Mart closely. They are replicating Amazon online... their website is almost a clone of amazon as of today.

Kay 2017-01-23 13:51:35 

In reply to black

American people are too lazy to be bothered with mall shopping these days.

I am not lazy but myself and all family members don't go to the mall since 9/11, we shop mostly online and just go to the grocery store nearby. Analyze dat how you want....

black 2017-01-23 13:59:04 

In reply to Kay

ISIS/AL queda dictating your lifestyle choices?

black 2017-01-23 14:07:10 

In reply to pelon

I agree with most of what you said.

Watch Wal-Mart closely. They are replicating Amazon online... their website is almost a clone of amazon as of today.

They have to take Amazon seriously or face a significant downturn.

pelon 2017-01-23 14:10:30 

In reply to black

They have to take Amazon seriously or face a significant downturn.
Replaced by: "They have to INNOVATE or face a significant downturn."

black 2017-01-23 14:13:04 

In reply to pelon

K-mart has one foot in the grave.

Khaga 2017-01-23 14:17:02 

In reply to pelon

I don't want to walk around aimlessly. Amazon Prime is a godsend for targeted shopping and shipping..

DAVE400 2017-01-23 14:17:59 

In reply to black

Amazon helps retailer by helping them reduce their inventory....it is an innovation to retail business...not a threat.

black 2017-01-23 14:22:17 

In reply to DAVE400

Amazon helps retailer by helping them reduce their inventory....it is an innovation to retail business...not a threat

That is partly true, what happens to the actual brick and mortar? Aren't they going to go out of business?

pelon 2017-01-23 14:30:14 

In reply to black, Dave400

Amazon helps retailer by helping them reduce their inventory
Amazon "helping" the retailer, when they themselves are retailers is a bit like the wolf raising rabbits. The more the merrier.

Amazon helps themselves by allowing retailers to sell on their platform while getting a slice of the merchant sale.

black 2017-01-23 14:31:14 

In reply to pelon

Exactly.

sudden 2017-01-23 14:34:50 

isnt it against human nature to be isolated, alone? the mall offers human interaction such as it is.

there will come a time that a group of human kind rebel against innovation and machinery as invasion against human social behaviour.

i often wonder whether the Amazon Indians and older civilizations werent rebelling against this same thing.

remember what goes around come around. it is my believe that humans develop, fuck themselves, revert to basic and start again. until we strike that happy median forever we will go around in a circle of bust and boom, so to speak

black 2017-01-23 14:43:23 

In reply to sudden

there will come a time that a group of human kind rebel against innovation and machinery as invasion against human social behaviour.

Not likely, since young people are the ones embracing it.

Tryangle 2017-01-23 15:27:57 

I feel for the mom-and-pop retailers, especially bookstores, which were Amazon's first set of meals, so to speak. I try to support local book sellers where possible, but if they don't carry an item, what can ya do.

As for other retailers, well it's up to them to provide the superior customer service that makes it worthwhile to stick with them. Too often, bad customer service is enough to turn away a prospective shopper permanently.

doosra 2017-01-23 16:05:11 

In reply to sudden

the mall offers human interaction such as it is.

man the few times i ever been to a mall i noticed people interacting with their friends and those who they went with

did that change lately? big grin

birdseye 2017-01-23 16:31:13 

In reply to black
I guess we will all become investors in the new technologies – will still have to work to separate the hits from the failures

the industrial revolution had similar impact - i suppose----- evolution is an unending process - i guess

POINT 2017-01-23 19:22:52 

In reply to pelon

You are correct in your assessment ,
Home Depot , destroyed all the small
Hardware Stores in major Cities in the USA .