The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

You have got to hand it to President Trump.

Courtesy 2017-01-29 09:02:43 

He is not afraid to take a decision. This is an excellent trait of good leadership.

Discuss.

big grin

sudden 2017-01-29 09:05:33 

In reply to Courtesy

No, it is

Courtesy 2017-01-29 09:07:59 

In reply to sudden

No, it is

Is that a suspended chord?

big grin

On a more serious note, good leaders don't flinch...they are decisive.

sudden 2017-01-29 09:09:47 

In reply to Courtesy

Yes, it isn't big grin

black 2017-01-29 09:10:00 

In reply to Courtesy

He is working on his Czech. big grin

Courtesy 2017-01-29 09:12:35 

In reply to black

He is working on his Czech.

Checkmate. Sorry, more like foolsmate. Delivered early.

big grin

But back to the decisive leadership of the President of the USA.

Drapsey 2017-01-29 09:20:09 

In reply to Courtesy

But back to the decisive leadership of the President of the USA.

Very decisive, and all without once brandishing the swastika.

black 2017-01-29 09:22:48 

In reply to Courtesy

Look, Trump is taking these steps because he knows the Congress is willing to back him up. The problem he faces is being decisive and not being deliberative, this could land him in hot water quickly and put lives in jeopardy.

Courtesy 2017-01-29 09:25:02 

In reply to black

Look, Trump is taking these steps because he knows the Congress is willing to back him up. The problem he faces is being decisive and not being deliberative, this could land him in hot water quickly and put lives in jeopardy.

I hear you...but President Trump is doing what he thinks is right. ...to hell with what other people think. They did not win an election.

sudden 2017-01-29 09:37:13 

In reply to Courtesy

Issuing executives order without consulting the DoJ as to their legitimacy or the overriding of DoJ advice by Bannon and Miller who are not lawyers is not leadership. Coupled with this, the GOP and to a lesser extent Trump complained that Obama overused executive orders.

I see no leadership or rather little in what Trump is doing at this stage. Yes he appears to be doing what he said he would do i.e. Ban Muslims from certain nations including those who are fleeing, Syria , and those who helped the US, Iraqi translators.

But the nation from where most of the 911 terrorists came, Saudi Arabia, is not on the list. So I ask what type of leadership is that.

Courtesy 2017-01-29 09:39:52 

In reply to sudden

...I see no leadership or rather little in what Trump is doing at this stage. Yes he appears to be doing what he said he would do i.e. Ban Muslims from certain nations including those who are fleeing, Syria , and those who helped the US, Iraqi translators...

He is just fulfilling his mandate and satisfying the electorate who supported him. That is why he was elected.

Commie 2017-01-29 09:41:45 

In reply to sudden

Always read the other side.

Whose policy is it

sudden 2017-01-29 09:43:17 

In reply to Courtesy

You cannot argue that is why he was elected. He was elected for a number of reasons. An election and governing are different issues all together.

I can argue that he was elected because he vowed to lock up Hillary, ent? Yes he has backed away from that. I was looking forward to him issuing an executive order to do just that.

Courtesy 2017-01-29 09:45:19 

In reply to sudden

You cannot argue that is why he was elected. He was elected for a number of reasons. An election and governing are different issues all together.

I can argue that he was elected because he vowed to lock up Hillary, ent? Yes he has backed away from that. I was looking forward to him issuing an executive order to do just that.

I hear you and I give up.

big grin

Btw, Black, your last post was your best post ever.

sudden 2017-01-29 09:45:53 

In reply to Commie

Man that is BS like the Mexican wall on Honduras 's border. Post the executive order signed by Obama banning Muslims from the countries named. Visa restrictions and banning are two different animals

Commie 2017-01-29 09:46:16 

Basically, Obama passed laws and then the US Customs complained that they were not being allowed to implement the laws.

Given that the US Customs / ICE were one of the first agencies to endorse Donald Trump I see this as a play to show that he was addressing their concerns.

At some point Trump will point out that he is simply enforcing smile

Got to love America.

Commie 2017-01-29 09:47:20 

In reply to sudden

I take it you havent read.

sudden 2017-01-29 09:50:11 

In reply to Commie

I read it and I will like you to point out where Obama banned and the word is banned as oppose to visa restrictions. And even so this is Trump's presidency and he said he would be harsher than Obama as it applies to the vetting of Muslims. This is Trump's presidency. He does not have to follow what Obama did

This is an outright and immediate ban not visa restrictions

Commie 2017-01-29 09:57:22 

In reply to sudden

That is true. However that is the extreme power the legislation gives.

sudden 2017-01-29 10:00:39 

In reply to Commie

If that is so why issue an executive order? Why not just enforce the law? Know why?because the legislation does not support an outright ban. It is unconstitutional on the face of it. Why you think they overturned it even temporarily. How do you ban someone with a green card? Doesnt that imply the person has been vetted and passed whatever tests were in place at the time?

Think man, please

Courtesy 2017-01-29 10:10:34 

In reply to sudden

My take: President Trump is in win/win situation domestically.

Since all Executive Orders are at the mercy of Congress...he had a way out of this thru Congress.

Further, by issuing the XO he would have appeased his supporters.

Not forgetting Commie's point, that he can ride on the Obama legislation which you have rightfully negated.

Decisive with a way out and pandering to his domestic audience.

Populism.

sudden 2017-01-29 10:18:43 

In reply to Courtesy

Domestically, so why is there protests?

Commie 2017-01-29 10:20:36 

In reply to sudden

If this was a Muslim ban Indonesia, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia would be in the thick of things.

This is a ban on countries where the US are in conflict or supporting conflict.

That is why the initial legislation was drafted.

The point has been made even if for show.

Courtesy 2017-01-29 10:21:35 

In reply to sudden

The President will not worry about protests from the other side now.

He is under pressure from a cohort of his support who believe he has reneged or is reneging on his campaign promises and this will go a long way in appeasing them. And he has escape routes.

This is his priority now...to hold his base together.

sudden 2017-01-29 10:30:51 

In reply to Commie

Ok so why the ban? Why not continue the visa restrictions or extreme vetting?

Yes it was all for show and is shallow politics like the man.

Nonsense really.

sudden 2017-01-29 10:34:35 

In reply to Courtesy

The thing about protests, once started, they take on a life of their own.

Then your every decision with a tinge of controversy is protested.

Not even Trump can live in a state of perpetual protests.

And these protesters are no longer aligned to politicians. They are passed that. this is anti trump.

Courtesy 2017-01-29 10:35:52 

In reply to sudden

The thing about protests, once started, they take on a life of their own.

Then your every decision with a tinge of controversy is protested.

Not even Trump can live in a state of perpetual protests.

And these protesters are no longer aligned to politicians. They are passed that. this is anti trump.

I concur but politics is never short of calculated risks.

sudden 2017-01-29 10:40:21 

In reply to Courtesy

Of course, and he calculated wrong. He picked a fight against the CIA. I would be surprised if he wins

Courtesy 2017-01-29 10:42:40 

In reply to sudden

Of course, and he calculated wrong. He picked a fight against the CIA. I would be surprised if he won

The majority of us predicted here interesting times during the Trump Presidency and this is part of the package that is being unwrapped.

Hope Trump does not target our CIP.

sudden 2017-01-29 10:47:38 

In reply to Courtesy

Under this regime everything and everyone not toeing the line is a target. If you are not expressingly for me you are against me and you will be shamed via twitter. We are taking names big grin

Courtesy 2017-01-29 10:52:02 

In reply to sudden

Under this regime everything and everyone not toeing the line is a target. If you are not expressingly for me you are against me and you will be shamed via twitter. We are taking names

We (OECS) have always had a preference for a Republican government. We benefit much more when they are in office. I certainly hope this continues.

Expect us to meet President Trump early in his term to show our support and make our suggestions.

big grin

sudden 2017-01-29 10:59:20 

In reply to Courtesy

This is unlike any Repub regime you have ever seen.

Wish you luck

Courtesy 2017-01-29 11:01:37 

In reply to sudden

This is unlike any Repub regime you have ever seen.

Wish you luck

Thank you. We are cautiously optimistic.

big grin

sudden 2017-01-29 11:06:01 

In reply to Courtesy

Have Commie as your point person and you are sure to succeed

Courtesy 2017-01-29 11:11:45 

In reply to sudden

Have Commie as your point person and you are sure to succeed

It's only fair. He has done the groundwork.

sudden 2017-01-29 11:14:13 

In reply to Courtesy

Ok big grin

Make sure no other- abled person is in the entourage

Courtesy 2017-01-29 11:16:50 

In reply to sudden

Make sure no other- abled person is in the entourage

Commie needs absolutely no help. He is very capable.

Everything that Commie has done with regard to Trump has been very strategic and in the very best interest of the OECS.

big grin

sudden 2017-01-29 11:22:06 

In reply to Courtesy

It had to be for something big grin

Courtesy 2017-01-29 11:24:37 

In reply to sudden

That was very altruistic of him. He put in every ounce of effort into the election for the benefit of his region.

Commie needs to be applauded.

big grin

sudden 2017-01-29 11:27:07 

In reply to Courtesy

Thanks. My faith is restored in Commie. I was fast losing it especially lately with the Honduras wall and that recent post.

I am breathing a sigh of relief.

You should have glued me in earlier

Courtesy 2017-01-29 11:30:30 

In reply to sudden

Thanks. My faith is restored in Commie. I was fast losing it especially lately with the Honduras wall and that recent post.

I am breathing a sigh of relief.

You should have glued me in earlier

I would eventually come to it. But we had to keep a veil of secrecy over our foreign policy initiatives to give it all the chance to succeed.

I would have handled a Clinton victory. It was win/win for us...coordinated foreign policy.

Btw, I am happy your faith in Commie has been restored completely.

big grin

sudden 2017-01-29 11:35:38 

In reply to Courtesy

i meant clued but glued would have worked too. big grin

yes, i am pleased now that my faith has been restored.

i take it you have the authority to speak on Commie's behalf. big grin

Courtesy 2017-01-29 11:37:42 

In reply to sudden

i take it you have the authority to speak on Commie's behalf.

Why do you think Commie has allowed me to continue the discussion in this vein?

lol lol lol

sudden 2017-01-29 11:39:49 

In reply to Courtesy

that was kinda rhetorical.

i believe Commie tried to clue me in a couple of times, come to think about it, but i wasnt listening.

anyway that made it all looked authentic. so no love lost big grin

sudden 2017-01-29 11:41:32 

In reply to Commie

we are we, mate.

no love lost and i am sure no offence was taken.

order has been restored.

lets look at crime in the region

Courtesy 2017-01-29 11:42:00 

In reply to sudden

that was kinda rhetorical.

Deliberately so...from the Margaret Thatcher and Tom Adams' textbooks.

i believe Commie tried to clue me in a couple of times, come to think about it, but i wasnt listening.

anyway that made it all looked authentic. so no love lost

lol lol lol

black 2017-01-29 11:55:32 

In reply to Courtesy

I've said it before, Trump has set himself up for failure before taking office. Only a fool would make numerous promises that can never be fulfilled.

And, that little BS, window dressing with auto jobs is going to come back and bite him in the ass. You cannot single out one company, it has to be across the board and forcing companies to comply, is going to put them at a disadvantage. Trump is going to end up hurting these companies, more than helping to bring back jobs.

All is going to take, is a smart company, ready to challenge American made products with cheap Chinese products.

cricketest 2017-01-29 12:25:30 

You have got to hand it to President Trump.

don't forget to put it in a bag or basket or some other vessel...

Commie 2017-01-29 12:56:55 

In reply to sudden

big grin

ProWI 2017-01-29 15:25:40 

In reply to Courtesy

Decisive!

Words, they do mean something; convey impressions.

So, you may want to see "decisive" in the words and actions of Trump and, that's certainly the way he may want them to be perceived, especially by his supporters, whereas, others might see them as almost compulsive and, definitely dictatorial.

So from these words do you see Trump and, are you still convinced of his decisiveness?

Has he settled anything or has he enraged others and created debate?

Courtesy 2017-01-29 16:31:38 

Trump Is Doing What He Said He’d Do.

So here’s my question: Was Trump elected because of his agenda, or despite it?

That is to say, were his supporters taking him literally, or not?

I don’t have a good answer to this question yet, but it could be the one that Trump’s presidency turns upon. If his supporters took him literally, they’ll presumably see a lot to like so far. But many of these policies have tenuous public support beyond Trump’s base. If this is the framework, then Trump is just continuing with the strategy he’s bet upon all along — doubling down on support from his base — and his approval ratings will probably oscillate within a relatively narrow band of 40 percent to 45 percent support.

ProWI 2017-01-29 17:50:15 

In reply to Courtesy

So Trump should not be surprised if a greater majority than his base rise up against him in opposition.

He has to decide if he's going rule over and subject the majority of Americans to his dictates by tweet or his policies primarily to support what his base may long for.

He did not win the majority of votes, he just won a majority from the the Electoral College. And the majority of Americans, even if they don't or didn't vote, still have a voice which they can carry to the streets.

That's the beauty and limits of the American system while recognizing the scope and opportunity it offers a president, he must also rule wisely and take in the counsel of others, always cognizant that he cannot become a dictator.

Trump exhibits all the tendencies of dictator and feels he must take advantage of all its inherent power within the American presidency . But he must be made aware that in spite all of that, he can be stopped.

np 2017-01-29 18:00:35 

In reply to Courtesy

Decisive actions is one thing ... give him that.
But decisive action without serious pre-determination of cause/effects, without due discussion with key parties ... is foolish.
Very representative of ultra-nationalism type approaches without thought/care for the national temperature, international implications---

His haste is making waste .... as we are seeing. When u make this kind of global decision there should be enough clarity to prevent every openness for second guessing.

Yes 2nd guessing will happen but forward preparation for responding to legal and social setbacks etc etc were highly lacking.

And please don't think I'm defending Dumbald Trump ... never for 1 second could I. He is as idiotic as he is dumb and reckless - hallmarks of poor leadership.

Commie 2017-01-29 19:14:58 

Ahem.

As predicted

sudden 2017-01-29 19:49:35 

In reply to Commie

that is their only area of escape. not to rehash but that is still BS for all the reasons previously stated.

the comments below the article are interesting tho. no one is buying that sleight of hand. and when that happens- it doesnt matter what you say.

Trump is fast losing the crowd that matters when it comes to governing not elected.two different publics so to speak

In applying the provisions of the president’s executive order, I hereby deem the entry of lawful permanent residents to be in the national interest,” Kelly said in a statement. “Accordingly, absent the receipt of significant derogatory information indicating a serious threat to public safety and welfare, lawful permanent resident status will be a dispositive factor in our case-by-case determinations.”
from Homeland Security Chief Kelly

JohnBull 2017-01-29 21:20:50 

In reply to np

Decisive actions is one thing ... give him that.
But decisive action without serious pre-determination of cause/effects, without due discussion with key parties ... is foolish.

Reading this thread from the top and getting ready to make same rahtid observation, Iyah .... gotta co-sign this!!

Even if I agreed with the man's policies I would have to be well disappointed with the haste and obvious lack of foresight of his actions. The only thing this immigration ban has caused is mass confusion throughout the country. Then you have Conway, Spicer and Priebus all over the tv chatting bare nonsense in defense. Worse that they all don't even seem to be on the same page, like not even they know wtr Trump is doing.

The wall, immigration ban, oil pipeline and more .... all highly controversial, all poorly conceived and implemented .... all in the space of one week.

WTF is the rush, Trump ...? You have four years ....mash yuh brakes, dude ... no need to mash up the country so quick.

DukeStreet 2017-01-30 05:50:32 

In reply to Courtesy
So let's see if I get this straight. Regarding the 7 countries, Pres Obama's initial policy was a vetting and banning of visas EXCEPT for certain type of visa holders, who got through the process. Trump's plan is a ban on ALL visas, with impunity?

Help me out here, please.