The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Emmett Till

trev114 2017-01-29 20:30:28 

accuser admits false claims

SirGarny 2017-01-29 22:43:54 

In reply to trev114

Good article...little consolation however, particularly considering this is not part of history taught to children...white or black. My high school was 99% black...and I graduated knowing more about European history than I did of my own people. Even though the racial demographic had changed from all-white to all-black, the curriculum regarding history remained the same!

I can recall great details about ancient Greece and Rome, but was taught nothing about great African civilizations. I never knew about Emmett Till until the early 1990's, a decade after graduating from high school where history was my specialty. In fact, it was through watching Eyes On The Prize series hosted by Julian Bond.

Therein lies the basis of the racial divide in the U.S...the widespread mis-education of the people...black AND white!
cry sad

Tryangle 2017-01-30 09:52:00 

In reply to SirGarny

And yet there are still a significant number of people in the US that complain about Black History Month.

SirGarny 2017-01-30 11:17:33 

In reply to Tryangle

True indeed.....I wonder how many white Americans care that George Washington and Abraham Lincoln's parents were slave owners. evil cry