The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Look, done this Lara v Kholi v Tendy crap!

Mr-Anguilla 2017-02-10 22:58:44 

The latter 2 had and or have greats alongside them for most of their careers! If Lara had De Whal and the others averaging 50 or, well let's face it the Indian top order now, 600 would have been the norm. Chili gets tired at about 200/230, Lara never did. 400 not out..... 501 not out. Stop the nonsense about comparing! There is NONE!
Tendy and Kholi got runs because of their teammates, Lara got runs despite his!

ThinEdge 2017-02-11 08:32:15 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

word

Khaga 2017-02-11 08:35:27 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

Apply the same fxuking logic to Viv..Vic got runs because of the strong batting lineup..

Most of you jokers want to have it both ways..

You want Sobers to be accepted as GOAT and Serena Williams to be GOAT..

Any double standards are OK with you lot..

Khaga 2017-02-11 08:36:23 

In reply to ThinEdge

Thinskin..no WI batsman worth his salt has batted like Virat Kohli..

robbo 2017-02-11 09:36:11 

In reply to Khaga

Lol... you are such a sad idiot

Devin 2017-02-11 10:13:03 

In reply to robbo

Vijay, the opener, averages 40. Rahul and Dhawan have been inconsistent at the top of the order when partnering Vijay. Pujara has a very good Test average, but his numbers away from home are piss poor.

Then you have Kohli at 4.

Lara only managed to be not out 6 times out of 232 innings. That is absolutely piss fu#king poor. Stop perpetuating this fallacy that Lara should be given more credit for being in a weak side, or that his failures were due to others.

Shiv played in worse teams than Lara, and truthfully, his best years came after Lara's retirement. Shiv managed to be not out a million times. Why? Because he was far more difficult to dislodge than Lara.

Kohli already has as many not outs as Lara, and he hasn't even played half as many Tests.

Devin 2017-02-11 10:20:24 

In reply to Khaga

No batsman in the history of cricket has been better across all three formats. Take away T20 Cricket, he's still the best when you combine his Test and ODI numbers.

osrlive 2017-02-11 10:26:40 

No comparison is necessary, Kohli is king! Lara /Tendy were princes(s)esesese!

osrlive 2017-02-11 10:29:17 

infact the closest Wet Undies have to "the king", is if Lara, Shiv, Viv and Pooper had baby together.

jen 2017-02-11 10:29:24 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

Not good logics in my opinion for a few reason. When Tendulkar started, the indian team wasn't good. Its when the likes of Dravid, Sehwag got establish things became easier for India. Lara at his earlier days still had Haynes, Richardson at the top.

I don't see why we always try to diminish one over the next, all have their great quality. Some handled different situation better than some. Tendulkar was more consistent, Lara was more punishing when he got a chance due to his huge appetite to bat long.

Yo don't play for 24 years and average over 50 in tests and 44 in ODIs by flooks, and make it worse, starting your trade when the likes of Walsh, Ambrose, Bishop, Donald, Pollock, McGrath, Gillespie, Waqar, Wasim, Muralitharan, Warne, Saqlain was running rampant. 90's had excellent bowlers.

Just enjoy the greatness, I love all of Lara, Tendulkar, Kohli. Lara when on song, was the best sight in cricket for me. I love watching Tendulkar how he made batting look so correct and can work a ball from outside off to the square leg boundary for 4, how he managed to pick up the length so fast was amazing.

Virat Kohli is talent combine with sheer determination, probably the most determined cricketer i've seen, when the challenge gets tough, Kohli the man gets tougher. Determination combined with modern aggression.

I ain't believe in saying this is better than the next, cause each have their areas where they will out run the next. Lara is king of spin and playing big innings. Lara handled Murali like a boss, Murali handled Tendulkar well. Tendulkar beat the hell out of Warne, lara did too but Warne will always tell you Tendulkar gave him more nightmares. Against savage pace, someone like Ricky Ponting showed up better than Lara.

Take someone like Rohit Sharma, as under achieving as he may be for his talent, he probably plays express pace better than Kohli because he have that extra time to play, he hardly ever seems rushed into a shot, he definitely is one the quickest picker of length i've seen along with Tendulkar.

Last but not least, Lara, the most majestic of them all. Watching Lara pierce a field is worth any entrance fee!! The best test innings i've enjoyed are all Lara's!! When Lara got to 50, you know it was trouble, them rest runs came at a rate of knots. big grin big grin

Narper 2017-02-11 10:33:47 

In reply to jen

Great piece of writing there jen

Exactly my views too

Tek a bow for dat wink

NYCGURU 2017-02-11 10:37:28 

In reply to Devin

When i saw the post, i assume every sensible person would simple ignore it. Now i see people actually took the time and energy to respond.The need to belittle and drag down greatness, seems to be part of ROCK men DNA.

Devin 2017-02-11 10:45:51 

In reply to jen

Agreed with most of what you said, but you're way off wrt Rohit playing genuine pace better than Virat.

Rohit's bat-pickup is slow and his footwork is lazy, even at the best times. I'm yet to see him score runs in South Africa or Australia. His average away from home is piss poor, I'm sure of that.

robbo 2017-02-11 11:07:20 

Look.

Stop ramming Kohli down every ones throat on this MB... there have been other brilliant, superb, outlandishly talented batsmen that are not named Kohli...Kohli is a special talent ... as was Bradman.... Tendulkar.... Richards..... Lara.... and many others....you and that other idiot sidekick of of yours .... surya or whatever his name is constantly wet your pants and engage in mutual masturbation as soon as he puts his pads on....virtually everyone on this MB realises that Kohli is an exceptional batsman.... stop feeling the need to try and force everyone to agree that he is the greatest thing since sliced bread .... particularly when you have to engage in constant denigration and trashing of all things West Indian past and present...just enjoy a brilliant and entertaining batsmen and STFU.

VIX 2017-02-11 11:33:50 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

wha? i thought, Ghambir was the greatest? or was that Yuvrav, orr no, wasnt it dravid, hmm maybe sehwag... no im mistaken it was Dhawan.. errm PUjara?

dammit, too many greatest evererers in history of histories to keep track of cry

Devin 2017-02-11 11:54:06 

In reply to robbo

When someone posts favourably of Kohli, here are the common responses:

Viv was more intimidating
Lara was better
Flat track
Virat in England
Steve Smith
Joe Root
Gayle's chauffeur

And then you have Vix with his/her nonsense.

robbo 2017-02-11 12:14:16 

In reply to Devin

What do you expect when you go over the top in your posts both in talking up Kohli and trashing West Indies past players ?

Mate I love Kohli... is he the greatest ever ?.... not in my book... could he become the greatest ? .... possibly ! .... there are just too many variables to take into account to definitively say A was greater than B etc..... in the end regardless of what the stats say we will have our own individual opinions.... the only exception is Bradman as I alluded to on an earlier post... his stats are so superior to anyone else's that in my opinion you can't argue against them.

I find Kohli a bit irritating but at the same time I love the fact that he respects the past players and their achievements etc plus he completely realises the primacy of test cricket... huge kudos to him for that !

Halliwell 2017-02-11 12:15:50 

Lara, Viv and Tendy had CAREERS

Like Root, and Bravo, and ABD, Koli is having A PERIOD

So keep up the fanboy stuff, time will tell

NYCGURU 2017-02-11 12:38:10 

In reply to robbo

I find your comments to be as reasoned and objective as any i have read on here. I also stay away from discussions that try to arrive at absolute conclusions, i find it to be an exercise in futility and quite boring.

Devin 2017-02-11 12:59:40 

In reply to Halliwell

43 international hundreds(10th all time) at the age of 28 is not a period.

robbo 2017-02-11 13:14:10 

In reply to NYCGURU

Absolutely 100 % correct !

About the boring bit... not my comments !
big grin

pelon 2017-02-11 13:55:32 

In reply to Khaga

You want Sobers to be accepted as GOAT and Serena Williams to be GOAT..

Serena is GOAT
Sobers is GAOAT*

deal wid it. smile smile

*Greatest All-rounder of All Time
cool

@robbo & NYCGURU ++++++

Mr-Anguilla 2017-02-11 21:41:36 

If India being 3 for 26 was a regular, tell me how good Kholi would be.
Being objective is not the New Science! Politics however, needs an opposition!
Let's agree we will disagree. For all the tea in Massachusetts however, Lara was better!

Devin 2017-02-11 22:01:24 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

Lara will always be better.........on this message board, and in the Caribbean. There isn't really anything Kohli can do about that.

Btw I can show you numerous scorecards where India were shitting down the place and Kohli was the only one to score runs. Common sense would tell you that when Lara scored heavily, someone else was at the other end supporting him, more often than not.

Lara was never the guy to be the last man standing. He didn't have the heart. He always went down with the ship. Shiv had more belly and heart than 10 Lara's. Take that to the fu#king bank.

Khaga 2017-02-11 22:43:40 

In reply to Devin

Hasnt Virat won more tests and ODIs than Lara already?

Khaga 2017-02-11 22:44:48 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

Tell me how good Viv would have been had WI been 3/26,if Viv were not among those 3?

Khaga 2017-02-11 22:46:28 

In reply to Devin

Do you realize the hypocrisy of these muddafackers?

On the one hand they want to say Sachin was surrounded by greats and on the other they don't want to agree the greatness if the likes of Sehwag..

Devin 2017-02-11 23:44:54 

In reply to Khaga

Dumb fu#ks aplenty on this MB. Sehwag was Gayle on steroids, with better timing and more shots. Far more aesthetically pleasing. He was unaffected by his teammates, the score, or scoreboard pressure. His success had nothing to do with the team.

As for Virat winning more matches than Lara, absolutely. That ship sailed a long time ago.

Devin 2017-02-11 23:47:39 

In reply to Khaga

These fackers never saw the Tendulkar of the 90's.

Anyway, no Indian can be better than a West Indian. Blackwood and Bravo have as much talent as Virat, if not more. It's the WICB that facked them up.

Mr-Anguilla 2017-02-12 00:45:46 

Kholi could face the class bowling Viv faced and do well! He doesn't have the belly for it. Come on guys!

Khaga 2017-02-12 04:12:10 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

Legends like Chris Old,Ohil Edmonds,Derek Pringle?

Chrissy 2017-02-12 04:50:25 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

Correct is right

Mr-Anguilla 2017-02-12 04:58:42 

[b]In reply to
In the Immortal words of King Short Shirt... "No bowler holds a terror, for Vivian Richards, not Thomson not Lillee, not Bedi nor Chandrasekhar, perfect coordination of body and mind, dat broda is really dynamite, pace or spin, he don’t give a prance wa you bowling him, fast or slowly, you going back to d boundary”.

Leave Viv alone, that's too much heavy lifting for you.

Khaga 2017-02-12 10:17:05 

In reply to Mr-Anguilla

When you get all folksy like Sarah Palin..

Mr-Anguilla 2017-02-14 19:18:03 

Wait, I mentioned Short Shirt and De Debate Done?

rillo 2017-02-14 21:03:08 

In reply to Devin

At the pace they have tournaments now he will hit 100 centuries soon.
My my let us enjoy the era.
That is what we have now an ERA. Kohli's time is now. Let us all enjoy. Still would rather watch Amla WITH HIS CLASSIC STYLE.
SA ON SONG IS Music.
India on song is music.
They will meet soon.
Enjoy the tunes folks.
I am Blessed to have seen Sobers, Cowdrey, Chappell Bros, Walters, Greenidge, Tendy, Vishwanath, Majid, Javed, Abbas, Gavaskar, Turner, Hadlee, Kapil Dev, Botham, Holding ,Roberts knock down Cowdrey etc.
So enjoy your "eras" folks.
I say Kohli would struggle to score runs without a helmet and so much padding against a Holding, Lille, Akram Donald ETC.
Sobers in today's era would probably have over 500 test hundreds and over 1000 test wickets and over 1000 catches etc. Imagine Bradman's average with today wuss bowlers.

pelon 2017-02-14 21:26:46 

In reply to rillo

I say Kohli would struggle to score runs without a helmet and so much padding against a Holding, Lille, Akram Donald ETC.

I agree 100% - A point that may be lost on a generation like Sevin - sorry Devin's - that only saw the likes of Viv on youtube.

runout 2017-02-14 22:01:23 

In reply to pelon

See this is why these arguments lack validity.

We don't know how Kholi would have batted had there been no helmets we can't say things that cannot be validated. Do we know how he would have adapted his game?

And saying that the bowling is worse than the older bowlers is not fair Stats alone don't tell the story. The rules have changed

Khaga 2017-02-14 22:03:20 

In reply to rillo

With all due respect,you are an ole fart glorifying the past..you ent fooling anyone with your "enjoy the eras" sermon..

runout 2017-02-14 22:04:17 

In reply to Khaga

lol lol loldude you got the wrong man

Devin 2017-02-14 22:11:51 

In reply to rillo

That's a wonderful post. How many teams did Bradman play against?

Kohli has faced faster bowlers than anyone the West Indies ever produced. He has hammered many of them, so there is no proof to suggest that he wouldn't survive in the helmet-less era.

The reason I think he would be great in any era is more so about his ego, bravado, and combative spirit than his skill or talent.

As for tournaments, I don't know how many centuries he's scored in tournaments, but I know that after 92 Test innings, he has 16 tons.

Btw I hope you're not suggesting that Bradman faced great bowlers, or that with each passing genration, the bowling didn't get better.

Kohli has dealt with Starc and Johnson in their backyard.

He has dealt with Steyn and Morkel in their backyard.

He has dealt with Boult and Southee in their backyard.

And whenever he's faced Pakistan, he's made them pay. In recent times, India's entire batting order were shitting down the place vs Mohammed Amir and co., apart from Kohli. That happened on two occasions.

He just finished fu#king England to high hell, and he'll make sure to repeat the act when he faces them in England.

Devin 2017-02-14 22:22:26 

In reply to Khaga

I get vilified here for bigging up Kohli, but you think any of these fackers would rate Tendy ahead of Viv or Lara?

runout 2017-02-14 22:31:23 

In reply to Devin

Devin, let's face it. These guys are all freaks of nature. They excel at their skills. They make extra- ordinary look ordinary. We try to compare freaks of different ages, different styles and different motivations. In the process we Are comparing freaks by freaky analysis on freaky accomplishments.

Now I sometimes need freaky. lol lol lol lol

Khaga 2017-02-14 22:35:43 

In reply to runout

Sorry..fixed.. lol

Devin 2017-02-14 22:36:09 

In reply to runout

Agreed

Khaga 2017-02-14 22:37:36 

In reply to Devin

For them Serena Williams, a good modern player is GOAT. Sobers, a good player of the 60s is also GOAT. All other sports have progressed, but cricket has regressed?

They just want to glorify black players.

runout 2017-02-14 22:40:06 

In reply to Devin

Let's look at Adam Voges. Decent batsman with a late start. Ended his career with an over 60 average. Is he great? Can he be considered a great batsman in the pantheon of batsmanship?

Devin 2017-02-14 22:45:45 

In reply to Khaga

100% spot on. And wrt Serena, there is no way anyone can argue that her era was greater than Graf's. It's not even close.

Devin 2017-02-14 22:47:10 

In reply to runout

Of course not, he padded his numbers against the West Indies, and as far as I know, he hasn't been picked in the playing XI in recent times.

Devin 2017-02-14 22:48:01 

Being a true great requires excellence over a long period of time. Longevity.

nick2020 2017-02-15 14:59:38 

In reply to Khaga

Hasnt Virat won more tests and ODIs than Lara already?

Cricket is an individual sport now?