The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Batting and Bowling Averages This Tournament

Runs 2017-02-12 16:42:58 

I hope they select the WI team on
merited performances from this tournament.

mikesiva 2017-02-12 17:15:24 

In reply to Runs

I hope so too but somehow I doubt it. For example i bet that once again the underperforming Carlos will get picked.

pom 2017-02-12 17:25:40 

I believe browne said that stats will be considered when selecting the squad so lets se if he holds true to his word.

Narper 2017-02-12 17:29:34 

In reply to Runs

I was listening to Mason last night and they were discussing squads sent into them...even roland butcher named his squad...most of them have no clue about the stats of this tournament...dem all picking a bajan team...with Benn and Roach to bootbig grin

I hope Brung can access cricinfo stats of the tournament...and analyze the stats properly...but i know dat ent going to happen

Runs 2017-02-12 18:52:08 

In reply to mikesiva

If that is the case then WI cricket will continue to hug the bottom

Runs 2017-02-12 18:53:27 

In reply to Narper

I heard that too that was why I started this thread, it was very disheartening to me as a fan can you imagine as a player? Damn nonsense evil

shivnotout 2017-02-12 19:03:13 

In reply to Runs

most runs

most wickets

Runs 2017-02-12 19:09:44 

In reply to shivnotout

Only 4 century makers with 1 being a premature discard and another a proven international failure. No new batting stars on the horizon in our piss poor, bowler friendly tournament. Damn the cupboard is bare. confused
Powell and Kraigg picked themselves I would put the rest of names in a bag and pick the others.

Runs 2017-02-12 19:13:53 

In reply to shivnotout

Beaton and Joseph bowled well, good stats also Holder, Taylor and Rampaul.

Maispwi 2017-02-12 19:15:16 

In reply to Narper

But Benn has performed. His economy and strike rates are better than any of the leading bowlers and he is in the top 10 wicket takers.

Be careful what you wish for

Maispwi 2017-02-12 19:18:24 

In reply to Runs

You really found those tracks bowler friendly? Or is it a case of batsmen being poor?

Runs 2017-02-12 19:19:38 

In reply to Maispwi

Meant bowling was easy in addition to poor batsmencool
Only Leveridge was a handful and he had no variety just fast and predictable

shivnotout 2017-02-12 19:26:58 

In reply to Runs

Powell and Kraigg picked themselves

I would put the rest of names in a bag and pick the others.
lol

Narper 2017-02-12 19:28:28 

In reply to Maispwi

In reply to Narper

But Benn has performed. His economy and strike rates are better than any of the leading bowlers and he is in the top 10 wicket takers.

Be careful what you wish for

Check Benn international stats for the last two years...he has been an absolute FAILURE

In 2015 and 2016 (19 ODIs) Benn has taken 8 wickets @ 100+

If yuh want Benn...then yuh should also want Chanderpaul....and benn is not half as fit as Chanderpaul

tc1 2017-02-12 20:02:26 

In reply to Runs

U r saying dung heap runs is more valuable than A tour or international.

Runs 2017-02-12 20:23:07 

In reply to tc1

Who made runs on those except for the few that also made here?

Baje 2017-02-12 20:59:08 

Are you sure that is what you want? You need to start with the ones who have been performing reasonably at intl level. Then you look to see where the holes are to be filled. Don't go crying if Benn and Nurse are the first two picked based on bowling performances.

Runs 2017-02-12 22:00:55 

In reply to Baje

Lotsa holes to be filled very few are performing consistently well at the international level. And no a 30 something international level average don't cut it for me. cool

openning 2017-02-12 22:15:39 

In reply to Narper

Don't follow others, you just cannot select a team, base only on this tournament.
One has to look at players from the A and International teams also.
A few players from this team will be selected, others will be selected on the next A team tour.
We cannot continue to send youngsters to get slaughter at the International level.

Runs 2017-02-12 22:40:50 

In reply to openning

Dude are the seniors doing any better? We cannot keep selecting failures. rolleyes
I agree we need to get a set of core players, but due to mismanagement of senior performing players we are yet to identify these players.
I do not think we have a current over 40 average test batsman or one day batsman, so in effect we have to pick players from our FC tournaments, as those picked previously are mostly mediocre. We cannot keep recycling mediocrity.

openning 2017-02-12 23:23:54 

In reply to Runs

Dude are the seniors doing any better? We cannot keep selecting failures.

History should teach us, if we keep selecting players solely from one good regional tournament we will continue to have failure.
We need to work with players from the A and International teams, and promote extremly great performance from regional tournaments.
Only a few batsman scored centuries in the eight games played by each team, yet fans are basing their selections solely on this tournament, you and others did it last year and previous years, then change after guys performances at the Tri-nation and A team tours, now to discard players performance on though tours, and pick a new set of players from this year Super 50.
As far as I am concern, Powell, Lewis, Cornwall and Leverick are the only guys should be selected for the three matches, all other performers should be look at for the next A team tour.

mittheimp 2017-02-12 23:24:43 

In reply to Runs

Your answer suggests there are hidden superstars somewhere. I doubt it. If the best players are performing mediocrley it doesnt mean others will do better. there is an assumption that all test batsman should be averaging in the 40's - and if not they should be dropped - but dropped for who?

mittheimp 2017-02-12 23:25:40 

In reply to openning

Lewis is already in the team.

Runs 2017-02-12 23:30:48 

In reply to mittheimp

Cupboard is bare, we shall continue to languish in the doldrums. A so me see it for d foreseeable future iyah, sad cool

openning 2017-02-12 23:38:49 

In reply to mittheimp

It is a shame that one of our best batsman is not playing, this should be settle prior to the tour, he would be in my team.

Players like Ambris and other youngsters, should be playing A team cricket, not at the International level, has Chandrika selection taught us anything?

mikesiva 2017-02-13 03:16:35 

In reply to openning

Cornwall is not dominating the bowling or batting stats so he doesn't make my team. His bowling yesterday was awful! Boundary balls every over. IMHO he's done enough to make the A team but not more than that yet.

openning 2017-02-13 14:49:30 

In reply to mikesiva

Cornwall is not dominating the bowling or batting stats so he doesn't make my team. His bowling yesterday was awful! Boundary balls every over. IMHO he's done enough to make the A team but not more than that yet.

You like others, look only at performance per competition, in selecting teams
The players selected to the A team, next promotion is the senior team, what you are doing is ignoring these selected, and leapfrogging them to the International team.
Cornwall and Leveridge are two guys that can be promoted.
Why Laveridge? he looks the part, is in the batsman's face, and bowls fast.

Baje 2017-02-14 14:05:40 

In reply to mikesiva
Cornwall was a standout on the last A team tour

rillo 2017-02-14 21:04:05 

In reply to Narper

Bajan selection committee so we the rest of the WI not holding our breath.

tc1 2017-02-14 23:36:20 

In reply to openning

Who dis Laveridge ever got out. Running down in the batsman face is not getting wicket iuseless.

openning 2017-02-14 23:51:42 

In reply to tc1
Laveridge selection is an investment for the future, it has noting to do with this tournament.
We lack fastbowlers,, his development in the squad will pay dividends in the future,
Don't be shortsighted, some players need our support, he is one of them.