The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Too soon for Ambris

DIEHARD 2017-02-13 16:26:26 

This is his first List A Tour/ series/season, averaging over 40, and yet for many on here, he is a shoo in for selection.

WestDem 2017-02-13 16:42:30 

In reply to DIEHARD

You are not correct, he already played 19 List A and is averaging 55.61, I won't have any issue if they decide to give him a chance....

See it here.
List A 19 18 5 723 75* 55.61 0 8 15 1

openning 2017-02-13 16:48:35 

In reply to WestDem

Why not send him on an A team tour? we want to rush youngsters so soon atfer one good season.

The guy as a batsman is yet to score a list A ton

voiceofreason 2017-02-13 17:02:35 

In reply to DIEHARD

This is his first List A Tour/ series/season, averaging over 40, and yet for many on here, he is a shoo in for selection.

Why don't you guys do your research before spouting crap. In 19 List matches he averages 55.72. Before this season he averaged 49 plus. Name one young West indian batsman who has those List A stats??

voiceofreason 2017-02-13 17:05:28 

In reply to openning

The fact that this is the first long season that we have had must be confusing you. He played 8 matches this season and 11 in three seasons prior. His LIST A debut was for West Indies A vs Sri lanka A where he did not get to bat.

DIEHARD 2017-02-13 17:17:40 

In reply to voiceofreason

I did, he's only played 19 List A matches, spannig last season and this season, he averaged in the 30s last season, and 70 odd this season,

You mentioned his SL A team series where he did not bat.

So... that average of 55 is kind of skewed, due to the number of not outs he has this season, batting down the order.

He has yet to score a century, he hasn't exactly kicked the door down..its much ado about nothing.

Too soon to be calling for his instant inclusion in the XI over players like Mohammed Johnson and Carter, all of who have been performing consistently across tours/ continents/ seasons.

Ambris has had one good season...one

DIEHARD 2017-02-13 17:21:29 

199 matches huh??

He averaged 49 plus from 11 matches??

Thats not saying much really, which other List A games has he played other than last season and this season, trying to ascertain that, maybe yoy can post, you seem to have all the info at u fingertips

Never mind, I see where he played two innings in 2014-2015 and he was not out both times, the stats alone really not painting the full picture, this guy bat 19 times, come down the order and not out around 6 times..you really think he is as good as his current average suggests??

voiceofreason 2017-02-13 17:38:08 

In reply to DIEHARD

Season by season

He has had 3 not outs in his 10 innings prior to this year so that is a high percentage but remember that most of the times he has been called upon his team has been tottering on 20/4 30/3 etc.

Last season was not a bad season for him.

openning 2017-02-13 17:42:20 

In reply to DIEHARD

Bro, after Chandrika fiasco, I hope anyone that is selected, performs on an A team tour, or has a super performance during a regional tournament.
Powell deserve his selection after being away for a few years, Ambris has to play A team cricket or perform well next year, in order to be selected to an International squad.

voiceofreason 2017-02-13 17:46:55 

In reply to openning

Chandrika was a fiasco alright. You were one of the few on this board who felt he could bat. What evidence you relied on? Schoolboy cricket.

Chandrika has never had one season such as Ambris' season. Chandrika has a list a ave 18.88. FC ave 26 so I am not sure how he became West Indian opener.

aliaskid13 2017-02-13 17:53:56 

In reply to DIEHARD

But isn't he a wicket keeper? so wouldn't he fit in perfectly in the batting order somewhere around 6 or 7? And wouldn't that be the perfect solution to allow Hope or Dowrich to play as a batsman if we ever needed to strengthen the batting? Him having a high percentage of not outs can only be seen as a good thing.

voiceofreason 2017-02-13 17:55:42 

In reply to aliaskid13

I do not rate Ambris as a Keeper. After Ramdin, the best pure wicketkeeper we have is Hamilton.

openning 2017-02-13 17:59:32 

In reply to aliaskid13

Dowrich is not wicketkeeping for the Pride in this tournament, and the keeping duty for the Windwards was done mostly by Fletcher.
I honestly would keep Ramdin as the Keeper, until someone shows they can keep.
I cannot stand these ball stoppers, the Pride erred in not giving Dowrich the gloves.

tc1 2017-02-13 20:02:11 

[b]In reply to openning[/b

]

I cannot stand these ball stoppers, the Pride erred in not giving Dowrich the glove

How quickly you change, i was telling you for years that Shane is the better keeper of the 2

voiceofreason 2017-02-13 20:30:49 

In reply to openning

and the keeping duty for the Windwards was done mostly by Fletcher.

That is not correct. Ambris kept 5 out of 8 Windwards Super 50 games and has kept in all 5 FC matches.

DIEHARD 2017-02-13 20:34:00 

In reply to aliaskid13

Hope is already in my XI as keeper.

I see no reason to rush Ambris into my XI which looks like this

Brathwaite
Powell
Lewis
Hope
Rovman
Cornwall/ Carter
Holder
Nurse
Rampaul/Reifer
Joseph
Gabriel

And either Johnson or J Mo will make my XI before Ambris. They have earned their spots more than he would

voiceofreason 2017-02-13 20:49:50 

My tentative XI so far:

Brathwaite
Powell
Lewis
J Mohammed
Ambris kpr
Carter
Cornwall
Benn
Holder
Joseph
Gabriel

This team is subject to change after the Semis and Finals as I am interested in seeing how some players perform under pressure.

At this stage no way Hope makes my team with a season ave of 32, so he must get that over 40 by Semis/Finals. 40 plus ave should be the standard. Nurse and Cornwall are the two off spinners and Cornwall gets the nod as he is a good offie who is a big hitter. 40 plus is my standard for batting. Benn/Pierre could take that left arm spinner spot. Looking forward to see what the pacers do in the semis as well.

johnjo 2017-02-14 05:37:39 

I feel like Ambris needs a little bit more time in the first class structure. Maybe a few A team tours. I'm really impressed with his consistency this season.
For the record if Ambris was selected for senior team then he would have been selected on merit. Have a look at the record of Chandrika and a few others that people are advocating for

DIEHARD 2017-02-14 08:37:40 

In reply to johnjo

Who's advocating for Chandrika?? lol

voiceofreason 2017-02-14 08:37:59 

In reply to johnjo

How many A team tours we have on the horizon? He should be given a chance in the ODI setup, but he needs to do more at FC level before he gets a look in for tests.

voiceofreason 2017-02-14 08:38:43 

In reply to DIEHARD

Advocated. Openning did advocate strongly for Chandrika who had less than mediocre stats.

runout 2017-02-14 08:52:49 

When will be the right time????? Some silly arguments against selection.

natty_forever 2017-02-14 10:26:27 

he is a good offie who is a big hitter.
... correction he is a good offie and the better bat.

natty_forever 2017-02-14 10:28:10 

In reply to runout... after next season ideally. However, if he compares better at this stage than all others then surely. IMO, he has to wait. I am asking for patience, let these 'potentials' gain experience before D Day.

DIEHARD 2017-02-14 10:36:02 

In reply to runout

The fundamental argument if it has been escaping you, is that Ambris has not been performing as consistently as other candidates, so there is no room for him in the XI, the only person I would put in the XI before Ambris who has not been averaging 40 for a number of years, in different continents/ tours/ series is Rovman.

Rovman did extremely well on A team tour, and averaged 46.75 from 5 innings last season at a SR of 82. He is not setting the place on fire so far this season but is a Dre Russ type batsman, so for me, he has to play, no one else will strike in excess of 100. The other candidates for Ambris' spot that would be in my squad Mohammed (52 avg), Carter(42 avg), Johnson(40 avg), Shai (32 avg, century in last ODI innings) all have seniority. Ambris has been consistent for ONE season, just the past 2 months, how the hell can he leapfrog any of the batsmen I've mentioned, who have also performed well this season and performed creditably last season, and at international level..c'mon man, all these calls for Ambris who has a bunch of 50s and 30s n.o. in order to inflate his average, he's not as good as his average suggests!!!

He is one to watch definitely, but at this time, he has done nothing spectacular to leapfrog any of the incumbents!!!

CricketLuva4 2017-02-14 11:18:10 

You're sending the wrong message to Hope, who has had a good start to his ODI Career.

Maispwi 2017-02-14 12:34:04 

In reply to runout

Openning had no qualms about Shai Hope being selected for the Test team after one good FC season

openning 2017-02-14 12:36:35 

In reply to Maispwi

How did you know that, did you archived any of my post?

openning 2017-02-14 12:44:53 

Advocated. Openning did advocate strongly for Chandrika who had less than mediocre stats.

Dude, is there not a difference for advocating for Chandrika against Tage Chanderpaul for selection to the Guyana team, as to advocating for his selection to the Senior team?
Please show where I was advocating for Chandrika's selection as West Indies opener.

voiceofreason 2017-02-14 20:37:31 

In reply to CricketLuva4

This is my squad based only on Super 50 performances. Hope can be added to my ODI team.

voiceofreason 2017-02-14 20:38:50 

In reply to openning

I did not recall you criticizing his selection to the West Indies team like how you are doing now with Ambris.

Ambris is in form. Pick players when they are in form!

methodic 2017-02-14 20:46:05 

Ambris belongs in the conversation.

openning 2017-02-15 00:04:15 

You seem to come from the thinking school of Maurice Bishop, but every distant is not a straight line, Neither Johnson or Hope fit the opening position, with Gayle, Powell or Barath not available.
The next guy with some regional experience was Chandrika, he did not put in the work to handle the International, or did not improve his batting at the regional level.
I like him from U-19 and supported him ahead of any Guyanese opener, they are some guys that would not be my previous picks, but since they were selected and performed for the Pakistan and Tri -nation tours, I would drop them for this three ODI series.

Tagwa1 2017-02-15 00:50:30 

In reply to DIEHARD

Agreed he is not Bajan...or from JA or Trini.

He is no Hope or Xavier Marshall or the ususal Pile of shytehounds that are picked after one season. Small Islander must make runs for at least 6 or 7 season till they fail and cant be selected again.

Tagwa1 2017-02-15 00:51:54 

In reply to openning

You seem to come from the thinking school of Maurice Bishop

Didn't Know Maurice wrote on Cricket?

DIEHARD 2017-02-15 04:48:06 

In reply to Tagwa1

Shai Hope was picked after one season?

Either way..I was no advocate for Hope.

Tell me who of Johnson, Hope, Carter, Cornwall or Powell Ambris should replace..And l tell u why he shouldn't

timeless99 2017-02-15 08:36:31 

Powell and rovman apath all the others has strike rate that would not even get them into a bangladesh team

timeless99 2017-02-15 08:38:35 

Odi batsman need's to be able to score an a good strike rate no pint in having an average of 50 and a strike rate of 55 that would not win you to many games especially when the other batsman does not strike at 80 plus

osrlive 2017-02-15 08:46:15 

In reply to methodic

Agreed. seems hypocritical not to select; even if he doesn't make the final Xi

DIEHARD 2017-02-15 09:03:14 

In reply to osrlive

Who would you leave out of the XI??

All the other candidates have BEEN performing, whih incumbent does he replace?

I admit its a nice problem to have, but we cant discard the players who have been performing, for someone who is not doing EXCEPTIONALLY well.

Looking at his stats in context, they are pretty good, but not Powell good,

runout 2017-02-15 12:15:55 

I don't know why we keep harping on Ambris past performances to not select him. Perhaps his game has matured?

If he is playing well NOW, and he is in the top tier for the region, then he would have earned his selection. Otherwise scrap the domestic tournament, and select the team based on consistency. and if that is the yard-stick, then I dare say, most of them do not deserve to be selected.

The capriciousness of the WI selectors is rubbing off on some of you here. As oppose to selecting based on merit, we are looks to disqualify good talent on some random measurement.

He looks the part.

Tagwa1 2017-02-15 12:21:18 

In reply to DIEHARD

You really looking for people to replace Johnson. You making it look as though Johnson had some performance that would see him being retained.

Anyone can replace Johnson, he shouldnt even be there. Hetmeyer and Ambris would come into my team and send these shytehounds home.

Tagwa1 2017-02-15 12:41:33 

In reply to DIEHARD

Basically if you Bajan you need 1 season.

Twinkletoes had to pile up runs for at least 5 seasons before a call. Infact even when he scored 96 in a cup game vs visiting india he was not called.

While Hope was being called no one looked at Theophile, who until then had more runs and for more seasons.

Simple if you Bajan or Trini or Ja its automatic..

Can anyone remember Don "Facting" Pagon... Even that shyte hound of shyte hounds played for WI

Andy99 2017-02-15 13:18:28 

A team for him.
Get players fully ready before you give them a debut so that they'll handle it better, don't rush good talent.

Any ways as DieHard said nuff options atm.

Paint
Lewis
Kowell

Those 3 are almost certain.

Shia Hope is certain as the WK.

Then you have Holder, Gabriel, Joseph and Nurse.

Thats 8 right there, 4 bowlers and 4 bats.

Then you have Rowell he'll most likely be the batting allrounder(Carloss is a shithound and shouldn't be there while this is Reifer first season too and should do more)

For the next 2 spots u have Carter(played the last series and did ok although is a big shytehound), Johammed(After 40 OD games averages 40, deserves a run), Cornwall(stats as a second spinner is good but ideally should be in A team for a bit longer).

Dowrich doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the ODI team, even a A team One Day pick would be lucky for him.
Same with Johnson, should be no where near the ODI or A team OD squads.

So looking like

Paint
Lewis
Kowell
Johammed
Hope
Carter
Rowell
Holder
Nurse
AlJo
Gabriel

Cornwall if he had his size under control would've been a good option instead of Carter to give us another spinning option at home.

POINT 2017-02-15 17:10:59 

In reply to Tagwa1

Let me say this , Players from the Windward Islands will always be criticized by those here , who are from other Countries in the Region .

Perhaps they are afraid that if he is selected & does well , their chances of getting one of their Players will
grow dim .