The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

S Taylor, not Savitree....

Larr Pullo 2017-02-16 02:17:46 

Not the one who bowls...

I hear he's a decent batsman, but he does live in America. Would he be eligible to play for the WI?

Where's Tommygun with the scouting report?

JahJah 2017-02-16 04:09:26 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Check scoreboard and see why TnT never got close. Check tourney stats and career ODI stats while you're at it, and then talk more bout Savitree

CricketLuva4 2017-02-16 06:44:27 

In reply to Larr Pullo

His Dad is born in Jamrock, so I think he's qualified.

Drapsey 2017-02-16 06:47:47 

In reply to Larr Pullo

As I understand it, being of Jamaican parent(s) one is automatically(?) a Jamaican citizen regardless of the land of birth. Taylor's parents are Jamaicans (again, my understanding).

Edited:
Sorry, CricketLuva4. I didn't see your post before making mine.

camos 2017-02-16 06:48:12 

In reply to Larr Pullo

I think that is Wally's relative,playedU19 for the US, Shiv was living in the US.

XDFIX 2017-02-16 06:58:10 

In reply to Larr Pullo

He will be playing officially for Yard against u lot in all regional games soon b4 stepping up a notch to the Windies - - to quote VOR, IT IS WRITTEN!

Rastaman 2017-02-16 08:18:34 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Would he be eligible to play for the WI?

How soon we forget? Remember Nash the Australian?

Anyway, i was enquiring about Taylor the batsman when i saw him in the Jamaican squad. I saw him for the first time when he made 80 something in a previous match and again yesterday. He looks dangerous and with some more grooming he could be 'Gaylesque' in my humble opinion.

Headley 2017-02-16 08:33:07 

In reply to Rastaman

he could be 'Gaylesque' in my humble opinion.

You should not use Gayle and humble in the same sentence. But if him Gaylesque them ah him we will come fe see. big grin

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 08:35:05 

In reply to Rastaman

They have forgotten that Nash born and bred Australian played for both JA and WI. Taylor's both parents are J'can and like the Reggae Bwoys most of whom are British by birth but J'can parentage, JA never turns it's back on his own, they are all considered Yardies. So yes Taylor if selected would be eligible to play for West Indies. I am cautiously optimistic for him, he seems determined to make a name for himself in West Indies. Hopefully he will not be treated like Nash, discarded after only one relative failure!
big grin big grin

Rastaman 2017-02-16 08:43:55 

In reply to Headley

got your point. Taylor learnt much of his cricket in the US and that's interesting. He might take offence to being compared to Gayle coz he moves better than Gayle and willing to run the quick singles (i don't know). but he has awesome power and better agility than Gayle. He is still a little raw and if he can sort out himself we will hear a lot more comparisons to Gayle.

Tryangle 2017-02-16 08:51:48 

A while back, David Hemp, who was born in Bermuda but had spent most of his life in England, was able to represent Bermuda in international cricket (including the World Cup). I don't think the rules have changed much since then, so Taylor may not even need a residency requirement (although he may have needed a 'play for a domestic or regional team' one) as he already would have had Jamaican status through his parents.

There's only so far that Taylor could go while playing for the US, so it's natural he'd try to get to play for a Full Member (and the $$$/pro opportunities that entails). Hope he gets a shot.

An interesting question could be, what if Taylor gets the chance to represent Windies in int'l T20s but not ODIs? He may be able to still play for USA in World Cup qualifying.

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 08:53:05 

In reply to Rastaman

Gayle is a power hitter, 6's and 4's are his life- blood. Who needs singles? Lol anyway I understand the need to turn over the strike but the strike will turn over at the end of a boundary-filled over!
big grin big grin big grin

camos 2017-02-16 09:13:50 

Taylor was interviewed when he played for US and said Gayle was his hero.

Rastaman 2017-02-16 09:16:38 

In reply to camos

Taylor was interviewed when he played for US and said Gayle was his hero.

Glad to hear that.

Rastaman 2017-02-16 09:22:08 

In reply to Slipfeeler

did you watch the game yesterday? Near the end of the match the commentator kept saying that Blackwood wanted to carry his bat when all he was doing was turning over the strike to Powell, giving latter a chance to power himself to three figures.

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 10:02:48 

In reply to Rastaman

Imagine a player like Blackwood who likes to go after the big shots, giving up the strike to big-hitter Powell? I guess Blackwood is starting to mature as a senior player.

anadayardi 2017-02-16 10:13:49 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Thats the role Blackwood plays on this Ja'can team. If you watch he is always talking to his partner while batting. Every now and then when someone plays a rash shot you'll see him come down and have a chat. I think he is really embracing the senior role.

Bigzinc 2017-02-16 10:40:30 

In reply to Larr Pullo

west indies cricket needs fresh blood..

spready 2017-02-16 11:37:21 

Steven played for The Caribbeancricket.Com XI a few years ago in Kingston at the Cable & Wireless (LIME) oval VS a LIME XI. He was about 12 or 13 then. Who remember that game?? smile smile

TheTrail 2017-02-16 11:45:02 

I heard there was a guy who lived in Canada and played for the WI. Isn’t an American player also an exception to the rule?

mikesiva 2017-02-16 11:54:03 

Eoin Morgan played for Ireland for eight years up to and including the world cup in February 2007. By may of that year Morgan was 12th man for England against the west indies in a test at lord's.

Morgan was born in Dublin and has no English parents. If Morgan can play for England then Taylor can play for the west indies.
cool

TheTrail 2017-02-16 12:33:48 

In reply to Bigzinc

In reply to Larr Pullo

west indies cricket needs fresh blood.

I think they need a new culture of fans.

Tryangle 2017-02-16 13:01:24 

In reply to TheTrail

I think Anderson Cummins of Barbados and West Indies eventually played for Canada.

Lennox Cush of Guyana played for USA.

In reply to mikesiva

Morgan (and Ed Joyce, and Boyd Rankin) played professionally in England so he had the residency requirement down. What's a little jacked up about it is that once he's played for that team, if he's dropped by England, then he has to wait about 4 years before he could represent Ireland again - which was Joyce's situation.

But heck. Australia and England have been using "feeder nations" for some time now (especially England), so if West Indies have the chance to expand their talent pool, go for it, explore any and all options.

topgear 2017-02-16 14:09:46 

In reply to spready

I remember. I play in that game also.

Wally-1 2017-02-17 09:13:02 

In reply to camos No Camos, Steven and I are not related. His dad is my brethren and played Headley for Thithfield.

This youngster is one of the nicest, most mannerable person you could ever meet. Kudos to his Parents, who are both Jcans., therefore, this makes him a Jcan citizen with eligibility to rep WI.

CWWeekes 2017-02-17 09:50:23 

In reply to Wally-1

Wally mi bredrin, whatsup with the lisp, "Thithfield". How long have you had it? Might have to look at you differently now, or is it that you a kuntryman trying to speaky-spokey.

big grin big grin

jelfew 2017-02-17 13:37:54 

In reply to Rastaman

No, I don't remember them saying that Blackwood wanted to carry his bat. They clearly said that Blackwood wanted Powell to get his ton. However, those last two overs were the best from the Tits bowlers. stroke that Powell got out to was good but I believe that if he did not swing his bat in desperation, he could have handled it differently and give himself another chance.

camos 2017-02-17 18:53:06 

In reply to Wally-1

ok boss thanks for the correction, knew you were close to the family.