The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

S. Taylor could possible replace Lil Bravo

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 09:43:55 

I like Darren Bravo, he is very talented and has served WI cricket well, I am hopeful that all will be done between him and WICB, so that this star batsman returns to the WI team. However, if things cannot work out then S. Taylor would be a great replacement with his consistency and aggression at the top of the innings.
I would open with Braithwaite and Kieran Powell, then Taylor batting at #3 with the flexibility to open whenever needed.

BTW Dowrich has basically cemented the wicketkeeper/batsman position on the WI team but he needs a big innings today and/ or in the finals for if Walton gets another century in the finals, selectors would be placed in a difficult position regarding the ODI team.

silver 2017-02-16 09:59:05 

In reply to Slipfeeler

And Lewis. Taylor look like another air Jamaica

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 10:04:59 

In reply to silver

Oh yes Lewis is another big hitter who could also get the position. Really exciting times coming for WI cricket if we could get these young players to perform consistently!

Bestian 2017-02-16 10:33:10 

Ummm...Shai Hope is the incumbent ODI wicketkeeper, not Dowrich.

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 10:53:09 

In reply to Bestian

That's even more Hopeful for the contender!
big grin big grin

OneCarib 2017-02-16 11:40:06 

Is he marrying a Trini ???

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 11:59:14 

In reply to OneCarib

No! Too many beauty queens in JA.

Cornfused 2017-02-16 13:08:20 

Why you believe that one of our best batsmen need to be replaced ?

Yadi 2017-02-16 13:37:42 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Young bhai ... fly past John Campbell - as if Campbell nah try.

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 14:23:43 

In reply to Yadi

Campbell has to settle as a middle order all rounder, I haven't forgotten him!
I would utilize both Campbell and Cornwall as my main spinners, they can bat and couldn't do any worst than our current crop of spinners, except Narine and Badree!

hawk 2017-02-16 15:00:39 

S Taylor?...doesn't he represent USA, how can he be selected for the West Indies?
what nonsense am I reading

Tryangle 2017-02-16 15:04:35 

In reply to hawk

Read the other thread about Taylor, hawk. It wouldn't be the first time a person played for an Associate country and then would up representing a Full Member.

WestDem 2017-02-16 15:07:41 

SHAI HOPE in yuh skunt!

doosra 2017-02-16 15:08:57 

In reply to Slipfeeler

regional cricket?

Yadi 2017-02-16 15:11:07 

In reply to WestDem

Big century that, Shai.

WestDem 2017-02-16 15:13:23 

In reply to Yadi

One of best in the tournament to me!

Cornfused 2017-02-16 15:19:37 

Excellent

doublecentury 2017-02-16 15:30:27 

So bravo had a disciplinary hearing and was banned for his great disrespect to the BIG IDIOT?

Cornfused 2017-02-16 15:31:44 

In reply to doublecentury

And the hearing and or decision takes longer that the season. rolleyes

hawk 2017-02-16 17:24:02 

In reply to Tryangle

I haven't seen any other thread pertaining to S. Taylor, is he a citizen of Jamaica?

Slipfeeler 2017-02-16 17:28:46 

In reply to hawk

Both of his parents are J'can, so dispite the fact that he was born in US, he is J'can by parentage, therefore eligible to play for both JA and West Indies. Do you remember an Austrailian-born player name Nash, who played for both JA and WI for his parent was J'can!

hawk 2017-02-17 07:53:37 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Of course i remember Nash, but in cricketing terms there is huge difference between Australia and USA, Taylor would have to do a lot of proving to show he belongs in this league, and two innings does not do enough to even warrant such a thought

natty_forever 2017-02-17 08:05:00 

In reply to hawk... some peeps love fast food it seems. Guess we desperate, suh we waan play anyone with half a good season.

Tryangle 2017-02-17 08:59:31 

In reply to hawk

If I recall correctly, Taylor was hoping to play in Jamaica's domestic league competition a while back. Don't know what became of that.

Meanwhile, what else can he do? He's been arguably the USA's best batsman over the past several years, has had a number of good performances in WCL action. He even got the attention of a CPL franchise.

You find good players where you find good players. Not to say that Taylor is or will be necessarily a *great* player, but someone took a chance on Jerry Rice out of Mississippi Valley State. If the WI selectors like what they've seen out of the guy from this tournament, why not give him a shot?

Slipfeeler 2017-02-17 09:36:32 

In reply to Tryangle

My point exactly, totally concurring with you! People are comfortable with recycling failed players rather than try something new or to think outside their box. Obviously there are no guranteees but we have to be willing to take advantage of possibility that this young, talented player might have a lot to offer WI cricket.

SirGarny 2017-02-17 09:59:52 

In reply to Slipfeeler

BTW Dowrich has basically cemented the wicketkeeper/batsman position on the WI team but he needs a big innings today and/ or in the finals for if Walton gets another century in the finals, selectors would be placed in a difficult position regarding the ODI team.

So let me get this straight...Dowrich needs a big innings although his place is cemented....Walton has to get ANOTHER century just to qualify for consideration.

wink

hawk 2017-02-17 12:25:22 

In reply to Tryangle

I would not even consider runs scored in WCL as a prerequisite for playing in our league, that is a very weak league and if we are comparing ourselves to this...then we have no business playing test cricket. The CPL contract was a developmental as our obligation to help the Americas, which i have no problem with, I am not saying that he wouldn't go to become a decent player but for me he would need to build his career from scratch in the Caribbean, and we should not be getting excited because the scored 2 fifties in our List A. As Slipfeeler intimated...i have no issue thinking outside the box, but i am of the opinion our box is big enough, our players should continue to work hard, we have a lot of openers coming through, i can think of Hetmeyer etc. even saw some promising looking scores among our under 19s boys, we should continue in this vain as oppose to getting excited about 2 fifties( as natty_forever said ...fast food)

imusic 2017-02-17 12:31:35 

In reply to Slipfeeler

but we have to be willing to take advantage of possibility that this young, talented Jamaican player might have a lot to offer WI cricket.

Above is REALLY what you want to say....but playin "smart"

Tryangle 2017-02-17 13:10:16 

In reply to hawk

If you want to compare WCL teams to Windies regional sides, you'll get no argument from me - the teams that played in WCL 4 last year would by and large be inferior to Jamaica, Leewards, Windwards, etc. The teams in WCL 3 I'd also rank below them. The better regional teams are probably more on par with the higher ranked Associates.

Taylor is still young, but it would be a monumental ask to have him build a resume from 'scratch' in Caribbean league cricket. There's a good chance he'll get another CPL contract, but I don't know if he has any other opportunities for List A or other international matches outside of WCL3 in May.

Norm 2017-02-17 13:18:29 

Wow! A player slugs a few runs in a List A season and he's now supposedly ready to replace the top WI batsman.

WI cricket has really gone to the dogs!

Slipfeeler 2017-02-17 13:35:01 

In reply to Tryangle

Understandbly and some very sensible remarks on this post but we have to be honest with ourselves that there are many players who perform brilliantly in regional cricket, however have difficulties in transforming successfully and consistently as test or international players. At least we already know the resume of Taylor, notwithstanding the fact that he played for USA but he was their best WC Batsman against some reputable teams, not only associate teams. I am aware that players like Shai Hope etc are maturing daily and nothing would give me more pleasure than to see those players maturing, start performing consistently and move WI cricket up the world ranking!

Tryangle 2017-02-17 13:49:03 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Hear, hear.

Yadi 2017-02-17 16:41:11 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Bravo better make his FINAL decision

before he end up like Kieron Powell did.

SirGarny 2017-02-17 16:54:15 

In reply to Norm

Wow! A player slugs a few runs in a List A season and he's now supposedly ready to replace the top WI batsman.

Players have been capped with less of a resume than that...all Fidel Edwards had to do was to injure Lara in the nets..and the rest was history. Conversely, players with solid foundations, consistent innings in the FC set-up and test centuries on debut have stunk up the place since then and incurred the ire of the selectors with their low-twenties averages.

WI cricket has really gone to the dogs!

We've been there for a while, sadly.

cry evil

hawk 2017-02-17 16:58:49 

In reply to Norm

Thank you Norm... how can we even consider replacing DARREN BRAVO with S. Taylor, what are we saying to Darren here, Tryangle...if S Taylor wants to play for us he HAS to build his career from scratch and prove he belongs in this league, but he cannot walk in from USA and replace a batsmen the calibre of Darren Bravo

I am not having that

imusic 2017-02-17 17:00:17 

In reply to SirGarny

all Fidel Edwards had to do was to injure Lara in the nets..and the rest was history.

Kelly Ann Conwayesque confused

voiceofreason 2017-02-17 17:04:31 

In reply to Norm

Enough said.

SirGarny 2017-02-17 17:29:41 

In reply to imusic

Kelly Ann Conwayesque

refresh my memory please (seeing a lot of gray hair lately)

or was it Baker who injure Lara? rolleyes redface

Norm 2017-02-17 21:41:40 

In reply to SirGarny

S Taylor deserves praise for his knock against T&T, and few more, according to reports, but to imply that he is in the same class as Lil B is an insult to Lil B, and to other seasoned regional players to a lesser extent.

S Taylor reminds me of U19 player Gidron Pope. He will get runs by unorthodox batting until his weaknesses are found out. Then his performances will become ordinary, or less. So, let's give him another season to see if he has any significant weaknesses to be found out.

Otherwise we run the risk of disrupting the slow but sure progress being made by the host of Bajan players recently "thrusted" upon us, as well as the likes of Blackwood.

BTW, Walton played a much better knock against T&T than S Taylor and has shown his class in recent tournaments.

Tomorrow's final should be interesting. Yard should win easily if they bat first, but the match will be closer if Bim bats first.

So, please don't insult Lil B. The man is an outstanding example both as a batsman and as a team player. If a few more top players had Lil B's cojones, the likes of that Big Idiot would have been held in check and probably not even have been around to leach off the struggling players.

doublecentury 2017-02-17 21:59:53 

How long has Darren Bravo been banned for? Does he have a right of appeal against that ban? Does it mitigate the offense that Dave Cameron is in fact a big idiot?