The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Deportations, Trump and the facts

Emir 2017-02-18 08:26:11 

Folks,

The recent round up and plan deportations of illegal immigrants in NYC was planned ahead of Trump's entry into the White House. It was planned prior.

Deportations of illegal immigrants with criminal histories is not new and under President Obama, the actual number of deportations increased.

President Obama did his job. It is the law of the USA, similar to other nations to deport illegal immigrants.

It is sad, very very sad when those who are deported came here as minors and have built deep roots and it is the only country they know.

But there is no sympathy for hard criminals and for those who did not come here as minors.

The concern is Alt Right immigration agents will abuse their authority and detain citizens who are not white for scrutiny.

So a US born Mexican American can be detained but a white European Green Card holder will be given the utmost dignity and respect.

This we must all fight against, not the deportation of illegal immigrants who have criminal records.

Drapsey 2017-02-18 11:13:58 

In reply to Emir

But there is no sympathy for hard criminals and for those who did not come here as minors.

Did you see the link posted by Runs?

DWI conviction is very prominent on the offence list. When those are exhausted, will they be moving down to speeding tickets?

archangel 2017-02-18 11:30:43 

In reply to Drapsey

I was going to ask the same question.

Next will be speeding violations and jaywalking.

Drapsey 2017-02-18 11:34:39 

In reply to archangel

Next will be speeding violations.

Very soon only the likes of Khaga and gvenkat will be safe. They don't exceed their self imposed 45mph speed limit.

Runs 2017-02-18 11:39:35 

In reply to Drapsey

Peeps have been deported for jumping subway turnstyles, urinating in public etc
The laws are there, we have had pro and lax enforcements over the years.

Drapsey 2017-02-18 12:00:06 

In reply to Runs

Peeps have been deported for jumping subway turnstyles, urinating in public etc
The laws are there, we have had pro and lax enforcements over the years.

I would guess illegal aliens, but green-card holders?

My interpretation of the article you linked on the other thread is that green-card holders are not exempt.

Emir 2017-02-18 14:40:15 

In reply to Drapsey

Did you see the link posted by Runs?

DWI conviction is very prominent on the offence list. When those are exhausted, will they be moving down to speeding tickets?

I can see cases of abuse, such as a very minor "crime" and I support a call for law makers to specifically address which type of crimes will not result in deportation of Green Card Holders.

DWI- is a serious crime, it kills.

Those who are not Green Cards Holders face deportation for any crime committed- you really can't argue with this- except as noted in my first post about the dreamers.

It works like this- you commit a crime, get caught, get prosecuted and they find out you are not an American or lawful permanent resident, you are a person who over stayed his visa- what then do you want the authorities to do? Let the person go? To do so, would be to violate the law of the land and you can't have a prosecutor's office failing to uphold the law.

deanjones 2017-02-18 14:41:55 

In reply to Emir

ICE will widen net

Emir 2017-02-18 14:50:38 

In reply to deanjones

Immigration and Customs Enforcement will use a much wider net to arrest undocumented immigrants, doing away with the Obama administration’s priorities that had shielded millions of people living in the U.S. illegally, lawmakers said Friday.

Yes- again they are referring to "illegal/undocumented immigrants."

Obama protected dreamers and others. But he went after criminals.

There is near universal consensus that dreamers should be regularize- but the definition of who is a dreamer will exclude many others who be face deportation and again, you cannot argue with that, it is the law.