The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Dole Chadee Documentary,wow!!

bravos 2017-02-18 14:05:45 

A look into the life of one of the most notorious Caribbean drug dealers linked to Pablo Escobar and how our Gov't at the time dismantled his organization with some real impressive techniques and laws,even the US AG was impressed as you will see in vid,our murder rate spiked at 133 and crossed 100 for a couple years with Chadee wars and went back around and below 100 after he was prosecuted and subsequently executed,we actually brought it back down and can again!!

I truly believe that Ramesh can make a difference today,he has what it takes,he wasn't afraid to tackle Chadee and others,Ramesh was a Caribbean AG well ahead of his time.

Great documentary from the 90's..

Everything seemed so much substantial then,even the quality of the people,but no one prepared for what was to come,no one tried to nip the narco influence in the bud,they just thought 'God is ah Trini' and we would ride it out,Chadee's operations was just a window to the future,there are Chadees everywhere now in all sectors of society,it's been 16 years we need a Ramesh Lawrence Maraj!

DAVE400 2017-02-18 18:48:59 

In reply to bravos

Will check it out...

You ever read vs naipaul's essays on michael x? Very interesting...

Father de verteuil's satire on boysie Singh was good too....trinidad has had some skilled badman...even before the kisscake days.

bravos 2017-02-18 18:52:03 

In reply to DAVE400

Bingo! lol... Yep saw M-X and damn he was a big one,international...be certain to check this Chadee one out..

Emir 2017-02-18 19:41:31 

In reply to DAVE400

badman

No, we use to say Badjohns, but pronounced "bard-jon"
smile

sgtdjones 2017-02-18 21:13:33 

T&T a violent History

Let us not forget the Joey Ramiahs and Dole Chadees emerged from sanctums where only good prevailed, but they somehow turned evil? hehehehe

Harlem, Caroni, has had a long history of very violent men, the most notorious being the Poolool brothers: Raffick and Joe headed a posse that not just terrorized, but traumatized almost all of Trinidad.The trail of blood and corpses left behind Harlem (Caroni) by the Poolools in the 1960s at the time that village was what one would describe as a "one horse" town. Or from a different perspective, a "four-street" village.
But in it lived some of the "baddest" men ever to walk this country.
People who know the old Harlem will understand the complexity of that tiny village. Because although the Poolools ruled the roost, and even terrorized the police, there was among them a small group of Africans who lived there and who were almost as "bad", meaning given to violence and crime.

Years after Raffick and Joe took their unwilling girlfriends with them on the suicide road to Hell (as a police manhunt for them peaked) in December, 1966, another Poolool, Bhuyoon, was impaled with a crowbar in another nearby village, Warrenville.

So from "Tooks" and "Bull" in the North to Dole, Zimmern Beharry and Mantoor Ramdhanie in Central/South, the new breed criminal was not necessarily a "bad john". His weapon defined his space. And his victims.

Think Rudolph Charles and you think Desperadoes and great pan music. But think of Rudy with the hammer, which, as David Rudder sang, he used at times "on a chupid man". Indeed, on many a not-so-stupid-man. Think "Gold Teeth", think "Bolong", think "Utah Blaine etc

Boysie Singh was so "bad", rumors were rife that he killed children to pluck out their liver's to feed his race horses!The body count of those he made "walk the plank" in the Gulf remains a mystery to this day.

Mano Benjamin, for example, was a diabolical man who was criminal in the extreme. People like them existed in the very districts where, today, two generations later, they have spawned "Rambo" versions of their earlier incarnations.

But there is a nexus between the "badjohns" of yesteryear and the gun-toting hoods of today. The former, who showed no mercy to those who were physically less endowed than them, sowed the seeds of injustice and naked brutishness that stalk the country today.

The seeds of inequity and barbarism were sowed many moons ago.
Today we reap their bitter fruits with a frightening backlash.

bravos 2017-02-18 22:13:42 

In reply to sgtdjones

Great accurate and detailed stuff there man...you know it well! As crazy as it may seem,it's a miracle our murder rate isn't higher in these circumstances where the narco trade has pervaded all levels of society...there are 1000 Dole Chadees today along with other ills...phew we could've easily be higher than Jamaica,much more pace in T&T,much more $$$ in the business too with the source just mere miles away and our export prowess and established trade routes and systems,eg..coke used to go to the US/Europe on methanol tankers etc for years....and in bulk asphalt products etc..

granite 2017-02-19 05:19:02 

In reply to bravos
There is always a hint of romanticism attached to criminals,especially those that are well organized,it is worth writing about.Some Indo Trinis have etched their names in the history books of our criminal fraternity.

cool

doosra 2017-02-19 06:27:00 

In reply to Emir

No, we use to say Badjohns, but pronounced "bard-jon"

not surprised given yall doh know wat to do wid 'r' big grin sometimes

granite 2017-02-19 08:04:57 

In reply to doosra
We pronounce "R"like de Englishman.

lol

DAVE400 2017-02-19 08:31:43 

This movie, the bank job, shows you how deep Michael X badness went....dude was extorting the Queen...Gale Ann Benson was actually MI5 sent in as an agent...

She get lick up....

Now until I saw the movie I didn't understand why MI5 burnt down the house in Tunapuna...now I know why...was to destroy the extortionist material.

Emir 2017-02-19 09:55:41 

In reply to sgtdjones

Too funny but very untrue and inaccurate. Please do not go on spreading this shyte.

I was born and I grew up over that period, I was a lil bardjon myslef.

Every village had a bardjon or two or three

The weapons was sticks, a big mouth and many dull cutlass. Murders were few and far, rapes very small numbers and when the older folks talk to us about our "wotlessness", we would run from them in fear and respect. I remember a lil frail Imam bussing a few taps on my head, and I just stood there and took it out of respect, many a badoj acted the same way when the elderly disciplined them.

The Mano's type was atypical.

Your story, wherever you got it is pure tata
rolleyes

Narper 2017-02-19 10:47:12 

In reply to bravos

Brought back memories of the 80s....and especially for me personally the very early 90s

I actually met Dole Chadee in the very early 90s on a work related matter. My director at head office at Caroni Ltd insisted I meet with him since my family and I were leaving T&T in about 6 weeks to reside in Canada and since no other manager wanted to. We knew his main interest was to launder his ill gotten drug money. The meeting was scary for me but to be honest Dole Chadee was the perfect mannerly gentleman to me and staff ...but all the while I was expecting war...his armed henchmen were in the yard outside and its seemed they were expecting trouble...the way they were looking up and down the road

As it worked out it was a one time meeting and he never returned...or contacted my director to follow up....and my family and I left for Canada...safe and sound...at dat time word was you could never tell Dole no....for any request whatever

Wow indeed.

bravos 2017-02-19 11:07:18 

In reply to granite

Yep especially '3rd world' dons,we love them!! lol lol

Man second ranch look like Pablo ranch too,helipad and all lol..

What you thought of our AG ?

bravos 2017-02-19 11:10:08 

In reply to Narper

Wow Narps!! Dole was ruthless,brought Colombia style here,used to kill many Colombians and Venes here too when deals went bad or if the they were freelancing on his turf..

What you think about Ramesh though? the AG at the time...I believe Ramesh could make an impact today..

bravos 2017-02-19 11:11:43 

In reply to DAVE400

Boy he was on another level padna...Trinis just waaay too ambitious and need to be positively channeled..lol.

methodic 2017-02-19 11:18:41 

In reply to bravos

very good thread,

sgtdjones 2017-02-19 11:19:10 

In reply to Emir

I have respect for old folks ..the way I grew up ...so I wouldn't cuss you.

Read my initials for my handle ...not my real name or rank .

We are given materials to read about the badjohn's of the past from intelligence reports and
court documents upon selection for special services, an introductory process . I guess no Imam tapped
them on their heads, just think they would have been like you an Internet BadJohn...

I am a member of the elite force in Chaguaramas, I am away for the next 6 months.

If you are in T&T in July 2017, pm me and I will meet you, and teach what you know nothing off.

Another Abu Bakr will never happen again.

A simple hint ...

Ever notice when then police are chasing or having a shoot out with the criminal element,
on occasions the police are injured. When joint patrols a body bag is required for the
alleged criminal and no one injured.

sgtdjones 2017-02-19 11:28:02 

In reply to Narper

You are correct in your assessment of Dole.

He had many sides to his demeanor as most criminals possess.

He was a soft-spoken man as the tape recordings tell, but do not say No to him.

Somehow it was his motto, treasure those memories of meeting him.

Few were lucky too and are still alive today.

Emir 2017-02-19 12:10:44 

In reply to sgtdjones

I have respect for old folks ..the way I grew up ...so I wouldn't cuss you.

Very refreshing

We are given materials to read about the badjohn's of the past from intelligence reports and
court documents upon selection for special services, an introductory process .

So then it not your fault for your ignorance. And no wonder the police and intelligence is freaking useless. The "report" and education they are getting is so wrong.

If you are in T&T in July 2017, pm me and I will meet you, and teach what you know nothing off.

Another Abu Bakr will never happen again.

A simple hint ...

Ever notice when then police are chasing or having a shoot out with the criminal element,
on occasions the police are injured. When joint patrols a body bag is required for the
alleged criminal and no one injured.

All of this have nothing to do with your first post on the bardjons of 30's, 40's. 50's, 60's for which my comments were made.

methodic 2017-02-19 12:17:15 

In reply to Emir

boy, one thing they can't say, is that you are not a fighter.

bravos 2017-02-19 12:20:33 

In reply to Emir

Oh god just sit back relax and enjoy a thread for once nah uncle.. rolleyes smile

bravos 2017-02-19 12:20:40 

In reply to methodic

Very intriguing and revealing as I was not up to scratch and in tune to current affairs then like now,some great perspective,genesis and dot connecting here!! cool

bravos 2017-02-19 12:34:33 

Hacienda Napoles T&T version?? only Hippos missing.. cool

bravos 2017-02-19 12:43:06 

Another one of his abandoned narco properties,they just love overdone palaces and castles,all of them.

Trinis think about certain buildings in Princes Town that all share similar architecture,including huge stores,they were all Doles...ask 'Uncle Khalid'. wink

sgtdjones 2017-02-19 12:50:44 

In reply to methodic

lol

Tell Emir ..no one tapped them on their heads or they would belike him an Internet badjohn ... lol

I should note here that most "bad johns" of yesteryear could hand-fight (more kickbox, I'd think), and many such "bouts" were witnessed with admiration by eager, even applauding audiences. But others were plain criminal in intent and deed.

You are correct ...can you see him as a badjohn... razz

Emir 2017-02-19 14:58:51 

In reply to methodic

Well I just had to correct him- did you read the garbage ge posted- scroll up to his first post?

Emir 2017-02-19 15:03:32 

In reply to bravos

Oh god just sit back relax and enjoy a thread for once nah uncle.. rolleyes smile

Well I relaxing all day, dais all I does be doing. But I had to correct the feller, see what he wrote below- he did not use quotation but he took it from some author, but the important thing is it is plain wrong and mischievous to say the crimes of today in Trinidad was sowed by the crimes of the 30's, 40's, 50'

But there is a nexus between the "badjohns" of yesteryear and the gun-toting hoods of today. The former, who showed no mercy to those who were physically less endowed than them, sowed the seeds of injustice and naked brutishness that stalk the country today.

The seeds of inequity and barbarism were sowed many moons ago.
Today we reap their bitter fruits with a frightening backlash.

bravos 2017-02-19 17:14:12 

In reply to Emir

Ok boss..so he activate de ole man!! big grin cool

Narper 2017-02-19 21:41:36 

In reply to bravos

What you think about Ramesh though? the AG at the time...I believe Ramesh could make an impact today..

I have had admiration for Ramesh since the mid 70s when as a young lawyer he mek a jail for contempt of court for what he believed in.

I have more respect for him as a lawyer than as a poitician.

And yes...T&T need the ruthlessness of a Ramesh to again tackle the gangs and organized crime....and to go after the high society big shot ring leaders

Narper 2017-02-19 22:07:28 

In reply to bravos

BTW...remember Naim Naya....'the fruit King"....and Teddy 'Mice' Khan...big names in the early 1980s drug world in T&T...but Dole was de Don...outlived so many of them....being brother in law of Randy Burroughs protected him

When I lived in Caroni distillery compound (working as a manager at Caroni Ltd)....it was only a stone throw from Harlem ( Frederick settlement) where Joey Ramiah lived with his mother and siblings....I can still vividly remember him moving around the area in his Benz with a driver to boot....a lil short piece of shit...maybe 80 lbs....and with big strapping men holding up umbrella for him ...shading him from the sun when he walked the road...word was at dat time....he liked to pull the trigger personally. At dat time they were finding dead degutted and headless bodies in the Caroni Ltd rice field just outside Frederick Settlement...wow....memories

To tell the truth....these were things which made me get the hell out of sweet T&T

JimBob 2017-02-19 23:07:17 

In reply to Narper

That Teddy Mice murder remained unsolved no? Were there any ideas as to who might have sanctioned the hit? It always seemed too easy.

Narper 2017-02-20 01:09:04 

In reply to JimBob

Gunned down in St James fixing a flat tyre

Emir 2017-02-20 01:51:57 

In reply to JimBob

That Teddy Mice murder remained unsolved no

Mice was killed by the big rat

bravos 2017-02-20 02:01:01 

In reply to Narper

Yes those other babus crossed my mind as well,knew Naya the fruit king from a kid,he was a spectacle in San Juan always throwing some event etc,he actually died of natural causes,he seemed to be a straight dealer, and Teddy Mice was a living legend that you could not escape either with his shiny new benz,'accomplished' soo much in his 20's and got shot in St.James after Hoosay celebrations.

Of course Joey was the most ruthless of all,they fraid dat 'lil nashy Indian' bad..

They were definitely dark pioneers.

bravos 2017-02-20 02:03:02 

Teddy Mice.

All dem men was young young at the height of their dealings wow,just like Pablo..

granite 2017-02-20 15:21:44 

In reply to bravos
My father told me about an Indo Trini who used to take money from people to drop them in Venezuela,illegally of course.The trip would start late on evenings,he would then take them to Cedros and tell them they are in Venezuela,by the time he dropped them off and got his money it was dark.He advised them to talk Spanish to the Indians,most Trinis can chat lil spanish as I recall.When they got out of fields and on the main roads they spotted a Bus with the sign Cedros to San Fernando.My father said he even knew one of the blokes by the surname of Wickham,he said "if I catch that collie muddarass ah go kill em".

lol lol lol

bravos 2017-02-20 15:58:11 

In reply to granite

Loool!!! But there was a sick one who would drop you halfway,literally in the middle of the ocean!!! Boysie Singh I think,he was hanged for that I believe..

sgtdjones 2017-02-20 20:56:47 

bravos

Emir
I was born and I grew up over that period, I was a lil bardjon myslef.

Every village had a bardjon or two or three

The weapons was sticks, a big mouth and many dull cutlass. Murders were few and far, rapes very small numbers and when the older folks talk to us about our "wotlessness", we would run from them in fear and respect. I remember a lil frail Imam bussing a few taps on my head, and I just stood there and took it out of respect, many a badoj acted the same way when the elderly disciplined them.

Notice Emir was a lil badjohn.a lil Imam buss some tap pon he .
He is only an Internet badjohn now .

You should get the name of this Imam from Emir. give it to Rowley .
Rowley can have this Imam buss some tap on em badjohns.

All problems will be solved .

razz razz razz

sgtdjones 2017-02-20 20:56:47 

oops redface

JimBob 2017-02-20 21:02:51 

In reply to Narper

That I know but why and who sanctioned the hit?

JimBob 2017-02-20 21:03:46 

In reply to Emir

Educate me on who was the "big rat?"

bravos 2017-02-20 21:09:36 

In reply to JimBob

Can't be 'Doctor Rat',he wasn't on that he was a town badjohn from the pan side battle days not a narco man,maybe a lil weed,Emir just being disingenuous and trying to be funny,Rat>Mice.

bravos 2017-02-20 21:10:52 

In reply to sgtdjones

lol.. smile smile